PDA

View Full Version : Harvard Biz Econ interview

trentnin
02-01-2008, 03:00 AM
I got a phone call from Harvard Biz Econ a few hours ago. I was told that I am on the finalist for the admission and get interviewed in early Feb.
Does anybody know what it is like? They said they want to get to know my research interests and see if my interests match with theirs.
I am really desperate for any tips for the interview. Please help!:D

Luckykid
02-01-2008, 03:03 AM
Buy a nice suit!

Equilibrium
02-01-2008, 03:19 AM
Nice suit of course! But seriously, if you stop only at "looking the part", you're going to get crushed, be honest. If you're a good fit you're a good fit.

Ancalagon The Black
02-01-2008, 04:46 AM
Excellent, even asianecon got a call !!

econphilomath
02-01-2008, 12:44 PM
I would have a good idea of what my research interests are and maybe a few specific ideas you have currently been thinking of, nothing very elaborate but to give them a sense of what you can do. Also relax, be semi-serious and remember that they will know better than you if your a good fit or not so just :luck2:

Congrats BTW, from what I have heard is near impossible to get in so you must have done something right!! Please post profile and admits...

iugi85
02-01-2008, 01:06 PM
congratulations, it's an extremely good signal, also for the other applications!

trentnin
02-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Please post profile and admits...

I have just post my profile in the Rollcall 2007 applicant thread. And hopefully, I will be able to post admits later....:)

reactor
02-03-2008, 12:26 AM
Try to have at least a rough idea of who could supervise your research i.e. you is doing or has done or could have done (!) research in the specific area that you are interested.
My humble and naive opinion is that, unless something goes wrong, you are in; they just want to double-check that you are their guy.

When I was interviewed by Kellogg professors, they asked me how I decided to apply to their program, if someone recommended it to me etc They also asked me if I have any question for them. If I remember correctly they also asked me if I believe I have enough economic intuition or something like that.

I wish you all the best and remember that you allready "have them" and you do not need to "win them" (i.e. make a bold impression) in the interview. Perhaps in these cases it is better to be a bit on the conservative side than on the "wild" side. :)

polkaparty
02-03-2008, 12:32 AM
My humble and naive opinion is that, unless something goes wrong, you are in; they just want to double-check that you are their guy.

How can this be true if they supposedly invite about 10 people to interview and intend on accepting only 2 or 3 of them?

trentnin
02-03-2008, 12:47 AM
How can this be true if they supposedly invite about 10 people to interview and intend on accepting only 2 or 3 of them?

Actually, they invited 18 people, and 6 to 12 people will be accepted. So, the odds are not as bad as you think. But I think I still have to make a good impression.

trentnin
02-03-2008, 12:57 AM
Try to have at least a rough idea of who could supervise your research i.e. you is doing or has done or could have done (!) research in the specific area that you are interested.

When I was interviewed by Kellogg professors, they asked me how I decided to apply to their program, if someone recommended it to me etc They also asked me if I have any question for them. If I remember correctly they also asked me if I believe I have enough economic intuition or something like that.

I wish you all the best and remember that you allready "have them" and you do not need to "win them" (i.e. make a bold impression) in the interview. Perhaps in these cases it is better to be a bit on the conservative side than on the "wild" side. :)

Reactor, thank you for your advice and encouragement. They said they want to get to know me and my research interests. They also told me that they want to see if my research interests match with the biz econ program and if I really want to do applied works as opposed to just pure theories. I guess my interests 'perfectly' match with the program. But they are the ones who decide, not me. ;)

fp3690
02-03-2008, 02:28 AM
General question: Do all business schools require interviews?

asianecon
02-03-2008, 04:51 AM

Sorry polka if I gave you the wrong numbers. I was extrapolating from the current job market data. Apparently the biz econ program has become more popular so they have been accepting more people.

doubtful
02-03-2008, 08:41 AM
I guess you should bring example of "applications" .. I don't know term papers, internships, etc...
When I interviewed in NC two years ago, they made me those kind of questions. They want to see how you are able to describe your interests and current activities.

DuckyDuck
02-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Actually, they invited 18 people, and 6 to 12 people will be accepted. So, the odds are not as bad as you think. But I think I still have to make a good impression.

I reckon you don't know this, but I'm still curious: so you were said 18 people were invited? Did they say anything about contacting those living outside of US (both you and asianecon are in US at the moment, right?). I don't imagine they call them, my guess would be they send them an email... I'm obsessively checking my inbox every 5mins and would be really glad if some non-US based applicant would share his/her experience about this... ;)

Smileysquared
02-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Hey congrats! All the best in your interview!

VGC
02-04-2008, 02:46 PM
DuckyDuck, I got an invitation for the interview too. I'm living outside the US, and It's going to be a video conference interview.

econphilomath
02-04-2008, 02:58 PM
DuckyDuck, I got an invitation for the interview too. I'm living outside the US, and It's going to be a video conference interview.

Congrats for that! Good job!

You can't help but fell really important giving a video conference interview to the Harvard adcom !! I know I would :D

A little of topic but here goes:
A prof who finished at MIT a couple of years ago described the roller coaster of egos that goes on during applications. When admits-rejects start rolling in, your self-esteem go up and down with the emails, and if your lucky, you get a good admit and you feel king of the world. Until classes start that is, then you realize theres a ton of people who are way smarter than you and you start to feel really dumb... :(
Then you have to get over it and try and get some research done and make a name for yourself without wasting time with all the ego-bull...;)

All I can say is I hope I get to feel dumb!

polkaparty
02-04-2008, 03:09 PM
All I can say is I hope I get to feel dumb!

Agreed. I suspect that I'll learn more from my peers than from the professors teaching the courses, at least during the first 2 years.

I hope I have something to contribute in all classes though.... I remember reading a story here about a student who was awesome in macro, and consequently got invited to all the macro study groups, but wasn't good at micro and didn't get invited! (or something like that) Not such a good deal....

DuckyDuck
02-04-2008, 03:33 PM

Hmmmm, I guess this means I'm out of the game... :doh:

pevdoki1
02-04-2008, 03:48 PM
A classmate of mine this year (we're taking Analysis I-II, Statistics I-II together), got an interview at Harvard Bus. Econ, as well.