PDA

View Full Version : Admits for MA Canada?

flipecon
02-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Hi people. I was just wondering when the earliest admits is for masters in econ in Canada (UBC, UofT, Queens, Western). I just handed in mine. Glad to hear from you. Thanks.

pevdoki1
02-01-2008, 03:58 PM
The UWO Graduate Coordinator sent me an e-mail saying my file is complete and that I will get a decision by the end of February..

The generic UBC "application complete" e-mail says "Admission decisions will be made in March and April."

P.S. I'm applying to the same 4 schools

kuejai
02-01-2008, 04:04 PM
I apply for UBC. Only one thing I heard from them was asking for fall transcript a couple week ago. Did any of you get that email?

Olm
02-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Normally you see admissions decisions in mid marrch from Canadian schools.

Canuckonomist
02-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Expect Queen's Mid-march, so the adcoms tell me.

philipe
02-01-2008, 07:41 PM
I am very anxious because of this waiting... I received an e-mail from UBC and UWO saying all my documents were received. I think the answer com UWO will come earlier than UBC's and Queen's. I did not apply to Toronto.

Olm
02-01-2008, 07:42 PM
I am very anxious because of this waiting... I received an e-mail from UBC and UWO saying all my documents were received. I think the answer com UWO will come earlier than UBC's and Queen's. I did not apply to Toronto.

If you go down to the grad cafe, you'll see that mid march is the standard date for Canadian Schools... if one comes earlier, it won't be more than a few days. Trust me on this one.

philipe
02-01-2008, 07:47 PM
If you go down to the grad cafe, you'll see that mid march is the standard date for Canadian Schools... if one comes earlier, it won't be more than a few days. Trust me on this one.

oh, i see! thanks for your hint! :grad:

flipecon
02-01-2008, 08:53 PM
thanks everyone! im worried for UBC tho. they told me yesterday that my file is complete, then maureen chin emailed me again today that she made a mistake. saying that i need to hand in my toefl and gre scores. but im a permanent resident and im doing my BA econ honours at yorku. although, i did a BA in asia. im worried since the deadline to be considered for scholarships and fellowships was yesterday (jan. 31), and they said they received all my documents yesterday too. now, they're changing their decision. tsk tsk.

it's good to know that you guys are applying too. im applying to these four schools, and also MFE at UofT. just trying my luck. i heard its really tough to get in. lol.
im still waiting for Western's email. they haven't sent me any confirmation yet. same as to queen's and uoft.

werther
02-02-2008, 03:27 AM
If anyone is wondering, I got my Queen's admit e-mail around 1st or 2nd week of March. Before that, there was another person who got an admit like in February, but I think that was a special case. I had to get back to the department by the end of March, and after that Queen's made another round of admits.

If anyone has applied to Toronto, they never sent me an email about my admit; I heard by regular mail which was unexpected. However, this year the new grad admin might do things differently. Also, don't bother checking their SGS website application status, that never gets updated.

I don't know anything about Western because I didn't apply there.

My UBC application was kind of messed up as well. I am not an international student but apparently that's how the school perceived me and later Maureen told me my application wasn't complete because I didn't send her TOEFL (or whatever it is, I don't even know). And then like several months later when I had already made my decision she told me everything was OK and whether I would accept their offer or not. This was like when I was taking a vacation in Europe.. I didn't end up in UBC.

shaks123
02-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Since you people have already applied, can anyone here give me a few points on how to or rather what to write in a SOP. I have never written one in my life. I have read what ever there is to read about SOPs and cant seem to come up with one decent paragraph on even my goals. Man its damn fustrating .....

out here in india one just writes a entrance for the bachelors or masters course one wants. for example for the IIMs some 200,000 students compete for like 1000 seats ...if you are in the top 1000 you are in or you write a entrance of some other state. no one will ever ask you your goals. Your identity is just the number on your scorecard. here even my director tels me to write my own recommendation letters and he will sign it. No professor wants the headache of writing one.

my goals are simple ...i enjoy studing and am good at it and wish to study till i have support and after that i want to make money ...simple. i do not want to change or uplift any conditions anywhere in the world. i cant really put that in mu SOP ..can i ?

i know i am in the wrong thread ..if the mods want they can delete my post.

Olm
02-02-2008, 06:05 PM
This forum has a problem with threads being derailed. With that in mind, I'll just give you a link:

http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~sboard/teaching/grad_application.pdf

Generic info on applying for a PhD geared towards students of UofT, but on page 4 there is a good summary of an outline of how to write an SOP. You can also hit a websearch for "statement of purpose".

shaks123
02-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Thanks man

ocean2
02-05-2008, 06:41 PM
just to follow up on this. How long does it take for Queens to check off supporting documents? They have been good to me so far but it's taking them a bit longer to check off my last LOR. I never had to wait more than a week before. Just wondering.

Thanks

pevdoki1
02-05-2008, 07:23 PM
Well, it checked all my stuff almost immediately. I had "Application Complete" as my status a week after I mailed the last transcript.