PDA

View Full Version : Question

YAHA
02-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Hello everyone,

I received 2 years of my education in an average university in Eastern Europe (majored in Computer Science). Next year I will graduate with an Econ degree from a small public university in the U.S. I am currently debating whether I should try to apply to Ph.D. of Econ. programs right away or whether I should go for my MS in Applied Math first. I know that MS will not hurt at all but it will take extra 2 years. Here are the math courses I had in Europe:

- Mathematical Analysis (1 year, included proofs, 1-var, many variables, differential equiations, etc ) (grade "B")
- Linear Algebra (A)
- Discrete Mathematics and Theory of Graphs(A)
- Mathematical Linguistics(A)
- Mathematical Logic and Theory of Algorithms(A)
- Theory of Probability(A)

I also had 3 semesters (3 As) of Physics including differential equations, proofs, etc.

Could you also comment on what rank school I should aim at.

Any input is appreciated !

Olm
02-01-2008, 05:47 PM
You have enough math, you do not need a master's degree. Apply for PhDs right away unless your GPA is below 3.7.

YAHA
02-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Actually it is. I think the best I can do by the time I graduate is around 3.5-3.6 . Also I took the GRE once and had 500V / 770M . I am sure if I took it again I could improve it. Do you think going to MS and posting a good GPA would make a lot of difference.

zappa24
02-01-2008, 06:14 PM
Actually it is. I think the best I can do by the time I graduate is around 3.5-3.6 . Also I took the GRE once and had 500V / 770M . I am sure if I took it again I could improve it. Do you think going to MS and posting a good GPA would make a lot of difference.

Hmm. Could you give us your GPA from just econ courses and just math courses? From the math courses you listed, the math GPA should be pretty high. If both of those are above the 3.7 level, forget the Master's. If they aren't, skip the Master's if you can get some really good recommendations.

If you are sure you can do better on the GRE, go ahead and retake it. 800 on the quant will probably help you a bit, and it's pretty easy (though maybe not extremely helpful) to raise your verbal score.

YAHA
02-01-2008, 06:19 PM
The GPA on Econ courses alone is 4.0. I have had Micro and Macro Theory, IO, Monetary Policy Class, Econometrics, Econ Development. The reason the overall GPA is low is that classes other than Econ or Math related are extremely boring to me. Thus, I tend not to do well in them :blush: . Could you please, comment on schools too. I would like to go as high as possible.

AstralTraveller
02-01-2008, 06:46 PM
The GPA on Econ courses alone is 4.0. I have had Micro and Macro Theory, IO, Monetary Policy Class, Econometrics, Econ Development. The reason the overall GPA is low is that classes other than Econ or Math related are extremely boring to me. Thus, I tend not to do well in them :blush: . Could you please, comment on schools too. I would like to go as high as possible.

If I were you I'd go for a top-place (like Harvard, Chicago, Northwestern or Yale), with a few no so top but killer options as safeties. Do not aim below the top 50, unless you can't secure good LoR's.

Best of lucks!

Olm
02-01-2008, 06:57 PM
The adcoms care more about how you did in math and economics than the other subjects. If your math + econ GPA is very high, which it sounds like it is, go ahead and apply straight for PhDs. However, apply to the MA programs at Toronto and UBC as backups.

YAHA
02-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Is there a good place one can search for rankings? I tried Google but US News only gives the top 5 and if you want to search further, you have to subscribe.

AstralTraveller
02-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Is there a good place one can search for rankings? I tried Google but US News only gives the top 5 and if you want to search further, you have to subscribe.

Here's the complete US News Ranking (it was the same 2005 ranking for the 2006 and 2007 editions): Econ graduate program rankings 2006 (http://www.feweb.vu.nl/econometriclinks/rankings/econrankings2006.html)

Here's perhaps the most popular research ranking available nowadays: www.econphd.net

Best of lucks,
AT

Olm
02-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Here's the complete US News Ranking (it was the same 2005 ranking for the 2006 and 2007 editions): Econ graduate program rankings 2006 (http://www.feweb.vu.nl/econometriclinks/rankings/econrankings2006.html)

Here's perhaps the most popular research ranking available nowadays: www.econphd.net (http://www.econphd.net)

Best of lucks,
AT

San Diego ranked 10th overall? ...

I am ****ed :mad:

But

YAHA
02-01-2008, 07:29 PM
I am surprized Columbia is ranked 11th. I figured it would be higher. Especially after E. Phelps Nobel prize. :hmm:

Ibn Abbas
02-02-2008, 03:31 AM
Isn't that a violation of copyrights?:hmm:

AstralTraveller
02-02-2008, 03:35 AM

I didn't think of that. Ouch, I hope it is not. Just found that link over the internet some months ago.

Could it be that the webmaster of that site has some kind of permission to post that list? Maybe I'm being na´ve.

Olm
02-02-2008, 11:47 PM

Fair use