PDA

View Full Version : at Ohio AED??

viveco
02-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Hi,

I have applied to Ohio State AED for 2008 fall. My present application status tells me that my application has been academically approved and is under review for funding. I dont know what does that indicate? Am I admitted? I am bit worried as i scored 1430 (q-750, v-680, a-4.5). I have 2 years research experience and a good publication in my country's top economics journal. Top scored during both years of my MA coursework, but i havent taken real analysis. Please comment on my chances at OSU. Additionaly i have applied in agecon departments at MSU, UIUC, Oregon State, Penn State and Cornell.

Valhalla
02-02-2008, 03:00 PM
I guess you have to show little more details about your profile... but even then: Most of us are also applicants: How can we know????? But the info you gave concerning the status of your applications sounds very good but I guess you knew this by yourself right?

zappa24
02-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Hi,

I have applied to Ohio State AED for 2008 fall. My present application status tells me that my application has been academically approved and is under review for funding. I dont know what does that indicate? Am I admitted? I am bit worried as i scored 1430 (q-750, v-680, a-4.5). I have 2 years research experience and a good publication in my country's top economics journal. Top scored during both years of my MA coursework, but i havent taken real analysis. Please comment on my chances at OSU. Additionaly i have applied in agecon departments at MSU, UIUC, Oregon State, Penn State and Cornell.

I'm almost absolutely sure that you are in, congratulations. The funding part is either because they don't make internal department funding decisions this early or they are putting you up for consideration for a university fellowship.

Your quant GRE score would be a bit low for a regular econ program, but it is very good for Ag econ. You shouldn't have much trouble getting into any of those schools.

viveco
02-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Thanks @ zappa24

The grad director also indicated that he might nominate me for a fellowship. It appears you have gone past the first year at Ohio AED. How did you find your initial period in terms of core course sequence. Any specific preparations that you can suggest me, since I am having enough of free time with no courseload as of now.

zappa24
02-02-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm midway through the second quarter of the first year. The second quarter Econometrics class (Econ 740) is quite difficult in that the professor gives you homework so long and difficult, it takes up most of your free time. The micro classes are difficult, but not overly so. The first AED class (AED 801, which you take in the second quarter) is pretty fun.

As for preparation, start learning mathematical concepts such as:
1. Convex sets
2. Convex functions and concave functions
3. Quasi-convex and quasi-concave functions
4. Heterogenenous of degree zero, one, etc.
5. Constrained optimization (just skim it to get an idea)
6. Monotonicity

That should get you through a good bit of the math involved in the first couple of quarters.

viveco
02-03-2008, 09:43 AM
Thanks Valhalla. I am seriously not sure because my status reads as referred and then they explain the term as " your application has been academically approved and it is under financial and english proficiency review. The grad school would need my financial certificates in case of no financial aid"

As far as my profile is concerned, I have done my masters from an Indian university (University of Lucknow). My university does not give many maths courses , I took the maximum possible 4 maths/econometrics courses under the titles such as Mathematical Economics and advance econometrics and it included multivariable calculus, linear algebra and some mathematical statistics among others. I scored 74% during the MA exams, i.e first division and also first rank (we experience low marks inflation in India). Then I joined the best business school in India as Research Associate and worked with a prof who ia alumni of Ohio AED. We wrote a paper on measuring market power in India's instant coffee market which is a duopoly for about a decade. It has been accepted for publication in Indian Economic Review which is abstracted in JEL. He is one of my recommenders.

I have applied at agecon dept at ohio, oregon state, michigan state, penn state, uiuc, ucb and cornell and economics at unc, uc-santa cruz, pittsburg and virginia tech (safety school)