PDA

View Full Version : UC Berkeley!

Pages : [1] 2

eqtisadi
02-04-2008, 08:47 AM
I got an unofficial call from one of the professors. Some letters will be sent out today (Monday).

I'm in!:tup::tup::tup:

maya.arco
02-04-2008, 08:50 AM
congrats eqtisadi!!! what was your profile, if you dont mind?

congrats once again!

eqtisadi
02-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Thanks!

International MA student, GRE: 800Q 450V 5.0A, M.A GPA 96.15/100. I have the full profile somewhere in the Roll Call 2007 Applicants thread...

iugi85
02-04-2008, 09:13 AM
Cool! Congratulations, great admit! Did he call you on sunday?

econboy
02-04-2008, 09:24 AM
The professor called you in Sunday?! Congratuations!!!!:tup:

Ricardinho
02-04-2008, 10:41 AM
Congratulations Eqtisadi!! That's an awesome admit! Do you happen to know whether they'll notify via email (both admits and rejects) or regular mail? Thanks!

mysherona
02-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Well that is just great! For you, I mean. Hahaha! Congratulations! Did he say if I'm in too?! Hahaha. This waiting is driving me nuts.

maya.arco
02-04-2008, 12:13 PM
same here!!! today it's gonna be a hard day: duke will send rejections again probably, waiting for berkeley's emails... thumbs up people! ;)

econphilomath
02-04-2008, 12:30 PM
Contrats, thats great news !!

This is really early in the game but I'm open to any emails!

Question: Did you know the professor before or is a complete stranger to you? If he is unknown, then maybe they will be calling more people...

RaaR
02-04-2008, 12:47 PM
HAHA! MAZAL TOV eqtisadi!!! thats absolutely grrreat news!! you MOST DEFINITELY deserve this... :))

I'm excited for u as u can see :)

all the best man!

eqtisadi
02-04-2008, 01:17 PM
Guys, since the call was unofficial, I don't feel sharing too much information on it will be appropriate. I would have raised my eyebrow myself, and I was totally taken by surprise with this call (I was really, really, really excited to hear that). I don't know if the notifications will be in emails or in regular mail, and whether all admits will get it.
I really hesitated whether to share this info or not. On the one hand, it really doesn't help me posting it here, but on the other hand, I got so much info and advice from this forum, so I felt obligated to.
I really wish the best for you all.

econphilomath
02-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Please, o god of admissions, let them be emails....

polkaparty
02-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Some letters will be sent out today (Monday).

Wait, so that means they are sending out notices today to other applicants who haven't received phone calls?

I know the OP doesn't want to reveal much information, rightfully so, but this is a bit unclear. During my first reading of the OP's post I thought he or she meant that Berkeley will send notices to people who have been called.

Why would the adcom call an applicant to notify them that they got in and then also tell them that they'll be letting other people know soon? They might as well start discussing movies and the weather too.... Anyway, that was just my read on this...obviously I hope that some (good) news comes out today!

Side note: I recall that a few people have been offered admission to Berkeley very earlier, but I don't think any TM people were. Someone on TM knew someone who got an early admit but that was it. So I don't think we should expect many decisions to be released if indeed any are at all.

asianecon
02-04-2008, 03:42 PM
I'll call Berkeley in an hour and ask whether they got my LORs that they said were missing. I guess I'll get some admissions news indirectly, if there are any at all. I'll update you guys in a while.

Olm
02-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Congratulations. I won't say I hate you because I didn't bother to apply to Berkeley ;) Well done!

Karina 07
02-04-2008, 05:07 PM
Here is the order of how things happened last year:

Feb: someone reports having been called. Probably an unofficial call, probably from someone who somehow knew them in some way, gosh knows. I think they finish relatively early because I remember sending them a grade update in I think Feb and they said they weren't sure if it'd get looked at or not.

Very early March (if memory serves): people are e-mailed their acceptances, I *think* followed by rejections though I'm not sure. (Again, someone with more time on their hands than me can check the archives.)

*After* everyone is e-mailed their acceptances/rejections: profs start to contact people whole hog, trying to convince people to choose Berkeley. People get phone messages and e-mails from a wide variety of faculty and current students.

SO, all of which is to say -- sit tight, they're probably not done yet, this sounds to me like the early call of last year.

And congrats!! :) Maybe see you next year! :)

P.S. Of course there's no guaranteeing they'll do it the same way this year. But I do think that there's no reason to be massively anxious at this point.

econphilomath
02-04-2008, 05:24 PM
But I do think that there's no reason to be massively anxious at this point.

TOO LATE !

Thanks for the info ...I'll give my email a rest for a while.

polkaparty
02-04-2008, 05:25 PM
I'll call Berkeley in an hour and ask whether they got my LORs that they said were missing. I guess I'll get some admissions news indirectly, if there are any at all. I'll update you guys in a while.

It's been about 1.5 hours since this post!! Ahhhhh

But I do think that there's no reason to be massively anxious at this point.

Certainly, but there's no reason not to be anxious as well, if indeed even a few decisions go out soon.... Actually, I am surprisingly calm about the entire process at the moment. I think it's just nice to know that what will be, will be. The cards have been dealt and it's just a matter of seeing what you got. Unfortunately this feeling is having a negative impact on my final semester....

asianecon
02-04-2008, 05:26 PM
sorry polka, nobody's picking up

jbs02002
02-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Here is the order of how things happened last year:

Feb: someone reports having been called. Probably an unofficial call, probably from someone who somehow knew them in some way, gosh knows. I think they finish relatively early because I remember sending them a grade update in I think Feb and they said they weren't sure if it'd get looked at or not.

Very early March (if memory serves): people are e-mailed their acceptances, I *think* followed by rejections though I'm not sure. (Again, someone with more time on their hands than me can check the archives.)

*After* everyone is e-mailed their acceptances/rejections: profs start to contact people whole hog, trying to convince people to choose Berkeley. People get phone messages and e-mails from a wide variety of faculty and current students.

SO, all of which is to say -- sit tight, they're probably not done yet, this sounds to me like the early call of last year.

And congrats!! :) Maybe see you next year! :)

P.S. Of course there's no guaranteeing they'll do it the same way this year. But I do think that there's no reason to be massively anxious at this point.

To clarify, did you receive a call in early February? If not, I won't be too concerned since you got in.

polkaparty
02-04-2008, 05:33 PM
sorry polka, nobody's picking up

Well granted, it's only 9:30 AM there.

Valhalla
02-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Actually, I am surprisingly calm about the entire process at the moment. I think it's just nice to know that what will be, will be. ....It's been about 1.5 hours since this post!! Ahhhhh

yeeeeeeeeeessssssssssss..... this sounds reeeeeeeeeeeeeally extreeeeeeeeeeeeeemly calm .....;)

YoungEconomist
02-04-2008, 05:35 PM
Congrats! [clap]

Karina 07
02-04-2008, 05:37 PM
To clarify, did you receive a call in early February? If not, I won't be too concerned since you got in.

Nope, I found out with the proletarian masses by e-mail in early March ;). (The early phone call, at least last year, was a severe anomaly rather than the rule.)

econphilomath
02-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Nope, I found out with the proletarian masses by e-mail in early March ;). (The early phone call, at least last year, was a severe anomaly rather than the rule.)

Well that might mean the OP should be really happy and counts as a victory for all TMers since one of our clan got one of the few select early admits!:tup:

C152dude
02-04-2008, 06:14 PM
2 Harvards, and now a Berkeley. You people rock.

yuio
02-04-2008, 06:52 PM
2 Harvards, and now a Berkeley. You people rock.

Congrats! Berkeley is such an awesome school

Btw, 2 Harvards? Am I missing something here?

iugi85
02-04-2008, 06:57 PM
Congrats! Berkeley is such an awesome school

Btw, 2 Harvards? Am I missing something here?

I think he is referring to the two persons that got the interview from harvard business school :)

econphilomath
02-04-2008, 07:04 PM
And a couple at Ohio, Minnesota with big funding and Austin Texas so we are basically covering most of the admit activity going on this early in the game.

Keep'em coming!

asianecon
02-04-2008, 07:13 PM
i called...no hints regarding admissions =(

polkaparty
02-05-2008, 12:18 AM
Well, 40 minutes left in the business day. I suppose they could always send out info after business hours like other schools have in the past, but the excitement is definitely gone. Back to the real world....

mysherona
02-05-2008, 11:03 AM
Nooo I'm not willing to go back yet! Maybe they'll send them today? But why on earth would they send anything this early?

08Applicant
02-05-2008, 07:13 PM
The more I browse Berkeley's website the more I want to go there. I've read at least a half dozen papers from Competition Policy Center, UC Berkeley (http://iber.berkeley.edu/cpc/) in the past week.

Normally I'm pretty stoic, but I don't think I'll manage that when I hear from Berkeley. I'm more worried now just because I'm writing this.

If any of you are absolutely sure that the God you worship is the right one, please let me know so I can go to the nearest Church/Temple/Mosque/whatever and tithe.

econphilomath
02-11-2008, 12:00 AM
It has been a week and nothing.... will this week be the one?

Karina 07
02-11-2008, 04:08 AM
If a group of TMers get in and come to visit day, we should all go get lunch together or something :). It'd be neat to meet y'all.

Andronicus
02-11-2008, 04:11 AM
... y'all.

Do I detect a fellow southerner? And at Berkeley, no less.

polkaparty
02-11-2008, 04:18 AM
If a group of TMers get in and come to visit day, we should all go get lunch together or something :). It'd be neat to meet y'all.

If am lucky enough to be admitted I would enjoy this.

Do people really not say y'all in the north? I mean, how else do you address a group of people?

semischolastic
02-11-2008, 04:21 AM
I've been sitting on this for awhile, but I guess it is as good a time as any to mention that I'm in at Berkeley. I also got unofficial notification, although it isn't as... ahh... auspicious as eqtisadi's. I received the following message on the 6th:

"The Department of Economics has recommended you for admission and consideration for a university fellowship. However, before a final decision can be reached by the Graduate Division, it will be necessary for you to submit your $60 application fee payment."

Whoops!/Hurrah!

I'm thanking God that they even bothered looking at my application.. I don't know how I managed to not submit the fee online. Anyway, this is fantastic - Berkeley was the first school I wanted to go to when I decided I wanted to go to graduate school, so this is really a dream come true. I'm waiting for Chicago, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'll wait until I get official notification before I post on the grad cafe.

signal08
02-11-2008, 04:23 AM
holy crap, CONGRATULATIONS semischolastic!!

!!!!!!!!!

polkaparty
02-11-2008, 04:38 AM
Grats! You really are lucky they looked at your application despite you not paying the fee. Alas, this news makes an admit for the rest of us who are still waiting seem even more distant.

BTW, did you focus on the diversity essay at all? I'm wondering if that's what's driving a few of the early admits....

08Applicant
02-11-2008, 04:42 AM
I wish everyone the best of luck with every university, except Berkeley. I agree with Polkaparty. Two admits out of maybe 50-75 possible are now known to us. I take that to mean that as many as 10 people have already been notified early. Definitely scary.

Edit: I'll sleep restlessly tonight, and I plan to sink a deep choke tomorrow in jits to manage my stress.

eqtisadi
02-11-2008, 08:50 AM
Congrats, semischolastic!! (why just semi?)

Why did you keep this for so long :mad:? People started to think that I hallucinated the call I got!

So, we need to wear something so that we could recognize each other (and please don't offer the TM shirt - not that there's anything wrong with that). I would have suggested carrying a Stata User's Manual, but it's too heavy and everybody probably walks with one. I will wear a red dress or something :blush:.

Btw, I don't think that there are 5 admits for any 1 TM admit. My guess is that this forum has a positive selection bias, so don't give up!

econphilomath
02-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Congrats semischolastic! Huge admit!

I wonder if you got the informal email at the same time as eqtisadi got the call last Monday?

asianecon
02-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Congrats to both of you!

Other TM people, I think we still have hope since it looks like the graduate division hasn't sent official notifications (can eqstadi and semischolastic confirm this?) and that our 2 TM admits have special circumstances hence the early notification. (or maybe Berkeley just doesn't want me that much =( )

eqtisadi
02-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Nope, nothing official yet.
I promise to update the forum (and thegradcafe) once I will receive anything official.

08Applicant
02-26-2008, 05:16 PM
A no news bump.

Just want to keep this school in play for all those interested. Hooray mild weather and Pac 10 football.

macroeconomicus
02-26-2008, 05:23 PM
Not to mention, great food, great culture, San Francisco (bus ride away), Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, and several other great national and state parks within a 2-3 hour car ride away. It's the best university town in my book.

polkaparty
02-26-2008, 05:34 PM
I think Berkeley will definitely release decision by the end of the week. Good luck everyone!

On the other hand, Pac-10 football....yeah....not really Berkeley's best attribute.

08Applicant
02-26-2008, 05:39 PM
Ok, so '07 wasn't their best year. But I'd argue that Pac-10 is as strong as the SEC and stronger than Big-10 now. Cal will come back, and even if they don't, you'll see other Pac-10 giants pass through Berkeley on their way to the BCS in the next few years.

That's a lot better than the Ivy League.

polkaparty
02-26-2008, 05:43 PM
I'd argue that Pac-10 is as strong as the SEC

Blasphemy.

Andronicus
02-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Cal football's best unit: Not the offense, defense, or special teams. Its Stanford's band!

08Applicant
02-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Cal football's best unit: Not the offense, defense, or special teams. Its Stanford's band!

All international applicants need to brush up on their college football if they want to make friends. Here's what Andronicus is talking about:

YouTube - The Big Play Cal vs. Stanford 1982 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-6LdpLuHZc)

Hahaha. I still giggle like a little girl in pig tails when I watch that.

jazzcon
02-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Ok, so '07 wasn't their best year. But I'd argue that Pac-10 is as strong as the SEC and stronger than Big-10 now. Cal will come back, and even if they don't, you'll see other Pac-10 giants pass through Berkeley on their way to the BCS in the next few years.

Are you joking me? As good as the SEC? That is plain wrong. I don't even like the SEC, but they have dominant programs that are far superior to the PAC-10. There is nothing more to say about it.

Please do not confuse international students who may be trying to learn about college football.

08Applicant
02-26-2008, 06:21 PM
Are you joking me? As good as the SEC? That is plain wrong. I don't even like the SEC, but they have dominant programs that are far superior to the PAC-10. There is nothing more to say about it.

Please do not confuse international students who may be trying to learn about college football.

And eight months ago you would have been singing the praises of Michigan.

Andronicus
02-26-2008, 06:24 PM
Appalachian State all the way!

asianecon
02-28-2008, 12:25 AM
bump for semischolastic. congrats!

looks like the day isn't over yet!

Internationalstudent08
02-28-2008, 12:27 AM
Semischolastic, congratulations!!! now... could you tell us if it's a personal or mass e-mail? :)

anxious....

polkaparty
02-28-2008, 12:29 AM
looks like the day isn't over yet!

It's only 4:30 at Berkeley right now.

semischolastic
02-28-2008, 12:35 AM
It was a mass email, from The Graduate Diversity Office, which I guess is part of the Division of Social Sciences. It also told me that my financial award information should be in the mail.

polkaparty
02-28-2008, 12:37 AM
It was a mass email, from The Graduate Diversity Office, which I guess is part of the Division of Social Sciences. It also told me that my financial award information should be in the mail.

Congratulations again. Just for a note: the email probably went to all applicants who won that university wide scholarship. Hence it's not an economics specific mass email and so it is not time to start worrying for the rest of the Berkeley applicants.

Internationalstudent08
02-28-2008, 12:39 AM
Congratulations again. Just for a note: the email probably went to all applicants who won that university wide scholarship. Hence it's not an economics specific mass email and so it is not time to start worrying for the rest of the Berkeley applicants.

Polka, you know that I like you, don't you?
:)

israelecon
02-28-2008, 12:39 AM

thanks for the clarification.

econphilomath
02-28-2008, 12:56 AM
Now I really feel like I should have written more BS on my diversity statement!!

08Applicant
02-28-2008, 12:58 AM
Now I really feel like I should have written more BS on my diversity statement!!

I'm a white, middle class, english speaking male from Southern California. I would have to win a dual award for fiction writing if I won that diversity scholarship.

jbs02002
02-28-2008, 01:02 AM
Ha, I actually feel pretty stupid for not really trying to push the diversity thing more since I won the DOVE fellowship at UMN (I'm hard of hearing). I didn't even think of trying it until the grad coordinator there told me to do it.

Karina 07
02-28-2008, 01:07 AM
Congrats again! :)

I think Berkeley is really good at shopping their admits around for university-wide scholarships. I don't know the true number of how many in my class got shopped around like that, but it's a really huge number (including me). And the selling of students continues after the admits are announced, so that you might hear later in March or something about funding for your first year that you didn't originally get. Also, not all university-wide scholarships are diversity ones, of course!

asianecon
02-28-2008, 01:13 AM
Congrats again! :)

I think Berkeley is really good at shopping their admits around for university-wide scholarships. I don't know the true number of how many in my class got shopped around like that, but it's a really huge number (including me). And the selling of students continues after the admits are announced, so that you might hear later in March or something about funding for your first year that you didn't originally get. Also, not all university-wide scholarships are diversity ones, of course!

Does Berkeley offer departmental full fellowships/scholarships?

Karina 07
02-28-2008, 01:28 AM
Does Berkeley offer departmental full fellowships/scholarships?

My understanding is:

The baseline deal that *everyone* gets is 2nd/3rd year TA/RA, then 4th year fellowship, then afterwards it's just assumed you'll get a fellowship from somewhere on campus because they're readily available and nobody doesn't get one.

On top of the baseline deal, some people do get full funding from the department. A lot get their 1st year covered by someplace else on campus (see: being shopped around without you having to do anything). And some come in with their own full funding like NSF/SSHRC.

So it varies a lot, anything's possible, but I don't know anyone who doesn't have the baseline deal + something for first year from somewhere or other. Then again I suppose if someone didn't have that first year thing they'd probably keep it to themselves, but I would be *very* surprised if someone didn't have it.

P.S. I do get the feeling that compared to other unis, more of the funding comes from outside the department here. I think the econ department just sees shopping people around for uni scholarships as, well, saving the department money :P. Maybe it's better at it than other departments, or maybe more money at Berkeley is concentrated in Graduate Division hands. I don't know why, but it seems to be very successful at shopping around like that. Similarly, word on the street is that if you want a small extra fellowship to do X, Y or Z during your time here, it's very easy to get from one of the centres around campus, you can basically take it for granted that you'll get it (like if you want to do something in development for your thesis and have a reason to want to go to whatever country for a bit).

Internationalstudent08
02-28-2008, 02:02 AM
ok, there aren't other offers posted on grad cafe at this moment... so, I guess we should relax

econphilomath
02-28-2008, 02:09 AM
I agree

econphilomath
02-28-2008, 02:17 AM
I little birdy told me UCBerkeley = March 3rd

Not from the original source...

Internationalstudent08
02-28-2008, 02:21 AM
dude.. if this is true, then Berkeley is going to be the only university to notify its admits after the date that they are supposed to (I remember that they say in their website that they will do it on the 1st of march)

freestyle
02-28-2008, 02:31 AM
thats monday, isnt it? sigh..

wednesday
02-28-2008, 03:38 AM
I'm a Berkeley undergrad. I went to the Graduate advisor today to ask when they would be sending notifications (in the hopes that he would notify me then and there). He said in an annoyed tone, "March 3-15."

letthisprocessbeoversoon
02-28-2008, 05:22 AM
so why didnt he tell you directly? i am sure decisions are made..

wednesday
02-28-2008, 06:54 AM
If I had to guess, I'd say either a) he doesn't know, or b) being asked the same question by many many anxious applicants is slowly driving him into a homicidal rage, the early manifestation of which was him choosing not to tell me.

wednesday
03-02-2008, 03:43 AM
I got my letter from UC Berkeley today. Big packet. I live about 6 blocks south of campus, so don't freak out if it hasn't reached you yet.

econphilomath
03-02-2008, 04:18 PM
I got my letter from UC Berkeley today. Big packet. I live about 6 blocks south of campus, so don't freak out if it hasn't reached you yet.

Congrats!
Could you fill us in on the details?

No email?
When are fly/outs?
Funding?

Thanks!

wednesday
03-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Congrats!
Could you fill us in on the details?

No email?
When are fly/outs?
Funding?

Thanks!

Thanks. Yesterday was a big day for me.

No email.
No information about flyouts, though I'll ask someone about it tomorrow. I remember meeting people last year...
20k+4k summer stipend for two years*, health insurance, priority for campus apartments...
What it doesn't mention is that from the economics lounge on the 6th floor of Evans Hall, you get a view across the bay that is to-die-for.

*In year 3 everyone scrambles and finds funding as an RA or TA. Year 4 people get another university fellowship.

Berkeley is an awesome place. If anyone needs convincing, let me know.

Karina 07
03-02-2008, 05:30 PM
Thanks. Yesterday was a big day for me.

No email.
No information about flyouts, though I'll ask someone about it tomorrow. I remember meeting people last year...
20k+4k summer stipend for two years*, health insurance, priority for campus apartments...
What it doesn't mention is that from the economics lounge on the 6th floor of Evans Hall, you get a view across the bay that is to-die-for.

*In year 3 everyone scrambles and finds funding as an RA or TA. Year 4 people get another university fellowship.

Berkeley is an awesome place. If anyone needs convincing, let me know.

Congrats!! :)
No need to convince me ;).

wednesday
03-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Congrats!! :)
No need to convince me ;).

I should hope not. I sit right behind you in Macro!

Karina 07
03-02-2008, 06:26 PM
I should hope not. I sit right behind you in Macro!

Ha ha ha!! Seriously? Who are you?? Now I want to know :). I suppose that if I occasionally wear apparel from my UK thing, I might be recognizable... or you might be referring to the class more generally.

You know, as nice as the econ lounge is (especially post-refurbishment -- wow, made a huge difference), you should try the math one on the 10th floor. I'm going to get a MA in Math en route because it's only 4 more courses if you do the econometrics field, and since the coursework in the econ PhD isn't that hard that means I can take an extra course for each of my terms and get it all done by the end of 2nd year (i.e. not impinge on my dissertation-writing). It's pretty nice -- who can complain about a Math MA from Berkeley?

P.S. Isn't Romer great? I actually love his cold-calling -- I'm a nut! And I'm a very easily terrified girl, but somehow I still appreciate it.

Olm
03-02-2008, 06:46 PM
and you people don't even have comps. You have it good there. :)

/wishes I applied to Berkeley AREC

wednesday
03-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Ha ha ha!! Seriously? Who are you?? Now I want to know :). I suppose that if I occasionally wear apparel from my UK thing, I might be recognizable... or you might be referring to the class more generally.

You know, as nice as the econ lounge is (especially post-refurbishment -- wow, made a huge difference), you should try the math one on the 10th floor. I'm going to get a MA in Math en route because it's only 4 more courses if you do the econometrics field, and since the coursework in the econ PhD isn't that hard that means I can take an extra course for each of my terms and get it all done by the end of 2nd year (i.e. not impinge on my dissertation-writing). It's pretty nice -- who can complain about a Math MA from Berkeley?

P.S. Isn't Romer great? I actually love his cold-calling -- I'm a nut! And I'm a very easily terrified girl, but somehow I still appreciate it.

You won't have a hard time figuring out who I am. I have a pretty good guess who you are, but I've been wrong in the past. Even so, I sit in the back row, so I can be pretty confident that I sit behind you.

The math lounge on the 10th floor is also great, but its hard to get in after hours. When the weather is good I go out on the balcony to do my reading. Moreover, they have their free donuts on Thursday afternoons. Which classes are you taking for the MA? I'm hoping to get two degrees, too.

I do like Romer's style. It definitely make the pay attention/not pay attention decision problem an easy one.

Karina 07
03-02-2008, 07:06 PM
You won't have a hard time figuring out who I am. I have a pretty good guess who you are, but I've been wrong in the past. Even so, I sit in the back row, so I can be pretty confident that I sit behind you.

The math lounge on the 10th floor is also great, but its hard to get in after hours. When the weather is good I go out on the balcony to do my reading. Moreover, they have their free donuts on Thursday afternoons. Which classes are you taking for the MA? I'm hoping to get two degrees, too.

I do like Romer's style. It definitely make the pay attention/not pay attention decision problem an easy one.

I'll probably do the stochastic processes ones next year... though I'm still deciding and might shop around at the beginning of next year. Currently I'm taking Math 220 (Applied Methods), which is very fun. If you do the Stats master's, I think it usually takes one more course, but a lot of people do that.

Did you take macro last term, with Akerlof and Obstfeld? I love Obstfeld. People say I'm weird for that; I think most prefer Akerlof. But I *loved* Obstfeld.

There are a bunch in the back, and I'm always wondering who they are :).

testudoan
03-02-2008, 07:43 PM
I'll probably do the stochastic processes ones next year... though I'm still deciding and might shop around at the beginning of next year. Currently I'm taking Math 220 (Applied Methods), which is very fun. If you do the Stats master's, I think it usually takes one more course, but a lot of people do that.

Did you take macro last term, with Akerlof and Obstfeld? I love Obstfeld. People say I'm weird for that; I think most prefer Akerlof. But I *loved* Obstfeld.

There are a bunch in the back, and I'm always wondering who they are :).
Can you two just get a room already? Or the math lounge on the 10th floor, or the econ lounge on the 6th floor... but please, spare us

fp3690
03-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Can you two just get a room already? Or the math lounge on the 10th floor, or the econ lounge on the 6th floor... but please, spare us

Good one. But the fact that this is your first post makes me believe you actually know them.

testudoan
03-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Good one. But the fact that this is your first post makes me believe you actually know them.
The fact that Testudo is the mascot of a school that isn't Berkeley makes me believe that I actually don't. Plus the fact that I just... don't actually know them.

Karina 07
03-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Aw. Sue me for loving my lovely program :). :P

AspiringEconomist
03-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Karina,
So you like Berkeley? They are now my best hope :)

wednesday
03-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Karina,
So you like Berkeley? They are now my best hope :)

In the vein of convincing people that Berkeley is awesome, and going with the earlier "get a room" advice, here is a list of the top ten places on campus to have sex: The Daily Californian (http://www.dailycal.org/article/16930/sex_on_tuesday_location_location)

Neither the 6th nor 10th floor lounges of Evans made the cut.

Olm
03-02-2008, 08:13 PM

/owned

Karina 07
03-02-2008, 08:15 PM
In the vein of convincing people that Berkeley is awesome, and going with the earlier "get a room" advice, here is a list of the top ten places on campus to have sex: The Daily Californian (http://www.dailycal.org/article/16930/sex_on_tuesday_location_location)

Neither the 6th nor 10th floor lounges of Evans made the cut.

[clap]:tup:

fp3690
03-02-2008, 08:33 PM
The fact that Testudo is the mascot of a school that isn't Berkeley makes me believe that I actually don't. Plus the fact that I just... don't actually know them.

Sorry for assuming. However, you assumed that I knew Berkeley's mascot, or the fact that testudo is a mascot. All in all, this is a bad thread for minor sarcasm:).

testudoan
03-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Sorry for assuming. However, you assumed that I knew Berkeley's mascot, or the fact that testudo is a mascot. All in all, this is a bad thread for minor sarcasm:).
Give me the shovel.

Olm
03-02-2008, 09:09 PM
[clap]:tup:

TBH I am quite surprised that you didn't take offense to this, vis-a-vis the immense offense you took to my "girls on the internet" comment of yestermonth :hmm:

Nevertheless, it's all in good fun. ;)

08Applicant
03-03-2008, 12:53 AM
TBH I am quite surprised that you didn't take offense to this, vis-a-vis the immense offense you took to my "girls on the internet" comment of yestermonth :hmm:

Nevertheless, it's all in good fun. ;)

Well maybe the lesson here is that sex is awesome, but not on the internet...or not with girls. Wait, that doesn't sound right.

Anyway, I really like Berkeley. Tomorrow should be great or horrible. One of those for sure.

Karina 07
03-03-2008, 01:07 AM
Well maybe the lesson here is that sex is awesome, but not on the internet...or not with girls. Wait, that doesn't sound right.

Anyway, I really like Berkeley. Tomorrow should be great or horrible. One of those for sure.

You know, maybe there's some age or culture gap here, but when I hear there aren't girls on the internet I think of people saying that's cuz they're just not interested in technology or science or any of that stuff, you know, they're domestic people-oriented creatures instead. It doesn't make me think of creepy old dudes but rather of an implied dearth of actual girls. I didn't see anything with gender stereotypes here, so. There you go.

08Applicant
03-03-2008, 02:26 AM
You know, maybe there's some age or culture gap here, but when I hear there aren't girls on the internet I think of people saying that's cuz they're just not interested in technology or science or any of that stuff, you know, they're domestic people-oriented creatures instead. It doesn't make me think of creepy old dudes but rather of an implied dearth of actual girls. I didn't see anything with gender stereotypes here, so. There you go.

You've got it wrong. It's a dig at the men online. There are other message boards I participate on and some of my friends play WoW. First: Warcraft, most people use Ventrilo or Team Speak. I would just guess that 30% of the characters are female. Join any guild and hop on their team chat, you'll almost always hear a guy's voice coming from that character. When dealing with people that can't hear their real voice, they will lie about their gender. It's creepy as hell.

Second: message boards. It's very very difficult for moderators to keep an active female population because of the harassment many women receive from men online. I do not envy those women. It's almost impossible to have a normal conversation without some guy saying, "post a picture topless!" It drives women away and ruins things for everyone else.

Karina 07
03-03-2008, 02:48 AM
You've got it wrong. It's a dig at the men online. There are other message boards I participate on and some of my friends play WoW. First: Warcraft, most people use Ventrilo or Team Speak. I would just guess that 30% of the characters are female. Join any guild and hop on their team chat, you'll almost always hear a guy's voice coming from that character. When dealing with people that can't hear their real voice, they will lie about their gender. It's creepy as hell.

Second: message boards. It's very very difficult for moderators to keep an active female population because of the harassment many women receive from men online. I do not envy those women. It's almost impossible to have a normal conversation without some guy saying, "post a picture topless!" It drives women away and ruins things for everyone else.

Yo, I got the picture way before ("it doesn't make me think of creepy old dudes") but a) that's also frustrating as hell given that I played a ton of games and people would then constantly assume *I'm* male, which just is ****ing annoying so oh ha ha there are no girls online doesn't really rub me the right way, and b) it's still no fun the misinterpreted way. Girls. Present. Pretend they're present even in more male arenas and they'll become more present.

testudoan
03-03-2008, 03:09 AM
Everybody, please. The topic of this thread is "UC Berkeley!"

wednesday
03-03-2008, 03:16 AM
Everybody, please. The topic of this thread is "UC Berkeley!"

testudoan is right. Let's get this thread back on track: Does anyone here strong opinions about Oak trees? This is relevant.

Karina 07
03-03-2008, 03:18 AM
testudoan is right. Let's get this thread back on track: Does anyone here strong opinions about Oak trees? This is relevant.

[clap] again.
(And I agree.)

letthisprocessbeoversoon
03-03-2008, 03:25 AM
save the oaks!!! :ninja:

Karina 07
03-03-2008, 03:35 AM

Best use of ninja smiley.

AspiringEconomist
03-03-2008, 04:37 AM
I wonder if Larry Summers has any opinions on girls and the Internet...

Olm
03-03-2008, 04:42 AM
I wonder if Larry Summers has any opinions on girls and the Internet...

woooah there, we are trying to RE-RAIL the thread, not DE-RAIL. :whistle:

Any post that sneaks in a ninja smiley = instant win

semischolastic
03-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Uhh... sorry to interrupt, but does anyone know about Berkeley flyouts? I just received my Berkeley packet, and while it does contain information about my fellowship (yay!), it doesn't say anything about visit days or flyouts or anything.

Mr.Keen
03-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Semischolastic, so, what's it going to be, then, Chicago or Berkeley? Assuming we get from Chicago what the webpage says, adjusted for inflation since that was first offered last year (I think), where would you go?

econphilomath
03-03-2008, 08:17 PM
Semischolastic, so, what's it going to be, then, Chicago or Berkeley? Assuming we get from Chicago what the webpage says, adjusted for inflation since that was first offered last year (I think), where would you go?

Ok I wrote something zsla would say about how Chicago is much better than Berkeley but then I re-read it and I realized i actually don't know #$@! about anything yet, so i decided to erase such comments until i gain guru status and then I can say outrageous things about other programs. Meanwhile, I'll just sit tight...

zjhtqf
03-03-2008, 08:19 PM
[ I just received my Berkeley packet, and while it does contain information about my fellowship (yay!), it doesn't say anything about visit days or flyouts or anything.[/quote]

So they are not going to send out admits through email?

Mr.Keen
03-03-2008, 08:22 PM
hummm is that even a vaild question???

I don't know. I'm just asking which one he would prefer.

Ancalagon The Black
03-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Just a question about Berkeley to all the current Berkeley students if not about the econ program in general, how is the School of Information and its associated PhD program? Any ideas? I like the economics of information management myself.

Mr.Keen
03-03-2008, 08:25 PM
hummm is that even a vaild question???

I am just trying to put together the study group for Becker/Murphy, Alvarez and Schennach!

econphilomath
03-03-2008, 08:32 PM
I am just trying to put together the study group for Becker/Murphy, Alvarez and Schennach!

Just rub it in ok....

Mr.Keen
03-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Just rub it in ok....

Man, I know your acceptance letter is in the mail. And I WANT YOU! (picture that Uncle Sam poster) in my study group for Alvarez.

econphilomath
03-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Man, I know your acceptance letter is in the mail. And I WANT YOU! (picture that guy with the stripes and stars hat) in my study group for Alvarez.

lol, so far, no mail, no news... It would be cool to have a TM study group... we would be the most nerdy, that for sure! (at least the most motivated)

Mr.Keen
03-03-2008, 09:05 PM
man, that has to be the biggest post ever on TM.

08Applicant
03-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Man, I know your acceptance letter is in the mail. And I WANT YOU! (picture that guy with the stripes and stars hat) in my study group for Alvarez.

Uhh... Uncle Sam?

Back on the topic of Berkeley. Hopefully these packets were mailed out at irregular intervals or unfunded offers just get notified by email. Since emails haven't been sent I still see a glimmer of hope.

C'mon unfunded offer!

Anyone accepted last year more familiar with the order and contents of the email/packet combo?

jbs02002
03-03-2008, 09:17 PM
I don't see anything on thegradecafe yet, so I don't think everyone has been notified yet.

Internationalstudent08
03-03-2008, 10:02 PM
hmmmm... a waitlisted from berkeley on gradcafe... hmmmm

mysherona
03-03-2008, 10:06 PM
I am also waitlisted at Berkeley, although that's not me on gradcafe.

econphilomath
03-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Email??

mysherona
03-03-2008, 10:25 PM
Yup. Isn't it odd that they sent the waitlists before the admits?

Internationalstudent08
03-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Rejected...

I regret to inform you that you have not been accepted for admission to
the Ph.D. program in Economics at the University of California Berkeley.

After reviewing your materials the admissions committee was unable to
recommend you for selection into the program. The Department can only
admit a limited number of students and receives a very large number of
applications. We have to turn down many qualified candidates who may be
capable of excellent achievement.

Despite this outcome, I hope that you are able to pursue your studies
elsewhere, and wish you well in your career plans.

mysherona
03-03-2008, 10:39 PM
Does anyone have stats on the admission rate for those on the waitlist at Berkeley? Is there anything I can possibly do to increase my chances of admission at this point? I would do anything!

econphilomath
03-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Ok so they send rejections AND waitlists by email!!??? Admits by pigeon courier... WTF

08Applicant
03-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Does anyone have stats on the admission rate for those on the waitlist at Berkeley? Is there anything I can possibly do to increase my chances of admission at this point? I would do anything!

If I get waitlisted, I will tell them they are my first choice and being a CA resident I am capable of supporting myself w/o funding. Hopefully that angle works.

But I am still sans email, so I will have to wait a little longer before I start begging.

asianecon
03-03-2008, 10:42 PM
I tried contacting berkeley but no one's picking up. I have some trouble with my mail (I haven't even gotten the Yale letter yet!) so I'm using this as an excuse.

So I guess, no email right now should be a good sign.

Mr.Keen
03-03-2008, 10:44 PM
I tried contacting berkeley but no one's picking up. I have some trouble with my mail (I haven't even gotten the Yale letter yet!) so I'm using this as an excuse.

So I guess, no email right now should be a good sign.

Ask Olm. His whispers are irresistible.

Internationalstudent08
03-03-2008, 10:45 PM
I forgot to say that the rejection e-mail was not a mass e-mail. My address was in the "to" field and they wasted some of their time to address me as Dear Mr. #$%&%#

econphilomath
03-03-2008, 10:47 PM
So we can expect days of rejection emails going out.....I mean there must be 600+ applicants!

asianecon
03-03-2008, 10:52 PM
Nah, I think they can easily do a mail merge or something. I don't think they would be spending that much time.

Mail merge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail_merge)

econphilomath
03-03-2008, 10:53 PM
I meant by the lag in time between posts. If it was mass we would have seen a large about of gradcafe rejects, waitlists etc

Karina 07
03-03-2008, 10:58 PM

You know, I never knew there *was* a waitlist. Huh. Last year I think the stats were something like 800 applications, 63 admits, 21 enrolled, but I never heard anything about a waitlist. Then again, maybe they're just doing things differently -- last year they also sent out all the admits and rejects at approximately the same time by e-mail, en masse to all the rejects and then to all the admits within the same hour or so. (I think there also might be more money to go around this year, since we recently got some huge donations to the department, but.)

My advice would be to talk with Patrick. Did he send out the e-mail? Hopefully he's not as overworked as he was earlier in the week. Maybe wait a few days so that any storms from the admissions results settle, and then try to talk with him a good long time. I doubt there's anything you can "do", but you could at least figure out what your chances are.

My bet for everyone else is to keep checking your e-mail for the rest of the day. Sorry, that will be hard on you, but I would be surprised if they really strung it out longer than that.

MexEcon
03-03-2008, 11:00 PM
I think some good news should be start raining soon. I was unofficially admited to Berkeley ARE since the first week of february and I also got a letter from the department around that time. The reason for such an early admit was that I had being nominated for an university fellowship, but I just got an email from the Graduate Admissions office letting me know that they are "pleased to offer [me] admission" and that my packet will be mailed tomorrow.

So I think that maybe the decision (admits) from the Econ department have to go through the Graduate Admissions offices and maybe some people will start getting the good news via email pretty soon (I hope).

Good luck to everyone that applied to Berkeley!

Erin
03-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Second: message boards. It's very very difficult for moderators to keep an active female population because of the harassment many women receive from men online. I do not envy those women. It's almost impossible to have a normal conversation without some guy saying, "post a picture topless!" It drives women away and ruins things for everyone else.LOL, that's a great summary. Yes, that's about it.

For the record, I REALLY do NOT want TM to become one of those message boards. It's fine to joke around, blow off steam, etc., but once the joking becomes sexual or has innuendo, I'm going to feel a bit uncomfortable with the overall tone. A couple of posts in this thread have raised eyebrows with some of the members or moderators, and I'd like to remind people that for better or for worse, I am the one who decides what tone is or is not appropriate in these forums. The moderators in large part act with my permission and understanding of what I'm looking for.

As always, I would like to encourage members to use the Report button http://www.urch.com/forums/tm_images/buttons/report.gif for any post that you feel is inappropriate. We read and discuss all reported posts (although we don't respond to them; the forum software is simply not set up to give responses).

Thesus
03-03-2008, 11:20 PM
More Berkeley rejects.

bgg
03-03-2008, 11:23 PM
Ok guys just got in Berkley via email
They offer 4 year fellowship 23K a year

The email was personalized so it's not a mass email

The choice is getting harder and harder

bgg
03-03-2008, 11:24 PM
haha just said that the email was incorrect...haha maybe I am not in

08Applicant
03-03-2008, 11:24 PM
A couple points:

I have to copy about 10,000 pages of material for discovery. Sucks to be me. Thanks to my bosses for stapling together every two page email you received in 2005.

More email rejects, hopefully implying that rejects were en masse and only mass admits remain! Wishful thinking, perhaps? (blood pressure...rising)

Finally, I checked the Berkeley Math department's website. They have a few pictures of the bay from the 10th floor. A very very nice way to unwind between classes. I guess I need to get in then get an MA so I have an excuse to hang around up there.

econphilomath
03-03-2008, 11:25 PM
Ok guys just got in Berkley via email
They offer 4 year fellowship 23K a year

The email was personalized so it's not a mass email

The choice is getting harder and harder

what choice....? :)

bgg
03-03-2008, 11:27 PM
Ok so I am in with no funding for first year... Well Harvard it is ...!

econphilomath
03-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Ok so I am in with no funding for first year... Well Harvard it is ...!

The smug little smiley is starting to get on my nerves especially with comments like that...

edit: sorry, I am a little tired and in a bad mood after spending all weekend by the phone...

Karina 07
03-03-2008, 11:35 PM
Finally, I checked the Berkeley Math department's website. They have a few pictures of the bay from the 10th floor. A very very nice way to unwind between classes. I guess I need to get in then get an MA so I have an excuse to hang around up there.

Lol! :) Hey, you know, the sun sets in that direction, too. Over the water (or the mountains, depending on the time of year). In the far distance, past the bridge, you can see the Pacific Ocean.

My current room has the same view, so I'm very happy, I get a daily spectacular sunset. One day I'll get pics up.

Mr.Keen
03-03-2008, 11:36 PM
Lol! :) Hey, you know, the sun sets in that direction, too. Over the water (or the mountains, depending on the time of year). In the far distance, past the bridge, you can see the Pacific Ocean.

My current room has the same view, so I'm very happy, I get a daily spectacular sunset. One day I'll get pics up.

Alright stop it! My weather prospects are winters at Chicago!

bgg
03-03-2008, 11:37 PM
econphiloman: Happy now?

econphilomath
03-03-2008, 11:39 PM
econphiloman: Happy now?

Dude just put up the Harvard shield thingy, don't worry be happy....

Mr.Keen
03-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Dude just put up the Harvard shield thingy, don't worry be happy....

Dude, you have a wide array of shields to chose from. Me, it's either this or a nasty orange long horn.

Zymm
03-03-2008, 11:45 PM
Alright stop it! My weather prospects are winters at Chicago!

Can you say "Alberta Clipper?"

Mr.Keen
03-03-2008, 11:48 PM
Alberta Clippers indeed.

econphilomath
03-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Its 4:13 in Berkeley,...we better get some news soon or we'll have to wait until tomorrow...

bgg
03-04-2008, 12:19 AM
btw a student is sending the emails not a faculty...maybe that's why even the rejects are personalized

polkaparty
03-04-2008, 12:21 AM
btw a student is sending the emails not a faculty...maybe that's why even the rejects are personalized

Talk about inefficient. Someone teach these adcoms how to mail merge.... *sigh*

Valhalla
03-04-2008, 12:22 AM

And you know this because........................................... ..... you're this student?:)

Are you the poor guy who decides whether hundreds of students may finally go to bed or not????? WORK FASTER DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

bgg
03-04-2008, 12:22 AM
no i just received the email That's why...

Mr.Keen
03-04-2008, 12:23 AM
And you know this because........................................... ..... you're this student?:)

Are you the poor guy who decides whether hundreds of students may finally go to bed or not????? WORK FASTER DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

He/She knows this because he/she just got one of those e-mails.

Valhalla
03-04-2008, 12:24 AM
I see.

bgg
03-04-2008, 12:24 AM
ok please guys use he/she when referring to people..It's annoying

zjhtqf
03-04-2008, 12:26 AM
Should we guess which order did that student take? Alphabetical?

bgg
03-04-2008, 12:27 AM
not alphabetical. I doubt it. I am S

Valhalla
03-04-2008, 12:27 AM

Where's Olm if you need him? :) No you are right... but admittedly using he/she is equally annoying ...

asianecon
03-04-2008, 12:32 AM
Where's Olm if you need him? :) No you are right... but admittedly using he/she is equally annoying ...

how about "it"? haha...but seriously as much as i try to use "he/she", it's just sometimes annoying to type so i use "he" since it's shorter. i dont really understand why some people make this such a big deal, especially in messageboards

bgg
03-04-2008, 12:34 AM
it is because people assume that everyone in econ is male. Why don't use she instead??

08Applicant
03-04-2008, 12:36 AM

Please call us guys/gals when you scold us on the he/she stuff. ...oh snap!

Edit: I deserve some credit for seeing that. It quite the ironic oversight on your part.

Back on topic. They are really going to use a student to send out 800 emails one. at. a. time. Do they have detention in college that I'm unaware of?

Valhalla
03-04-2008, 12:36 AM
it is because people assume that everyone in econ is male. Why don't use she instead??

Because of a huge male conspiracy.... what do you think? It's just laziness..

Zymm
03-04-2008, 12:37 AM
s/he is pretty short. Or (s)he...but that's harder to type.

Valhalla
03-04-2008, 12:39 AM
I suggest we stop discussing this stupid topic...

bgg
03-04-2008, 12:40 AM
ok the email is coming from the Graduate office and is signed by Enrico Moretti Graduate Committee Chair. However since they made this mistake with the funding in my case the person who sent the correction to me was a Graduate Advisor (a student). So the "Grad Office" is this student.

jmancer
03-04-2008, 12:43 AM
I got in, just got an email!

econphilomath
03-04-2008, 12:43 AM
Guy named Patrick?

Valhalla
03-04-2008, 12:44 AM
CONGRATS TO ALL ADMITTED STUDENTS! :tup::tup:

bgg
03-04-2008, 12:46 AM
econphilomath: that's correct

econ08
03-04-2008, 12:46 AM
I just got the email too! Congrats to all those admitted!

econphilomath
03-04-2008, 12:47 AM
econ08, man you rock... seems you and me applied to the same places!!

Valhalla
03-04-2008, 12:48 AM
econphilomath: I just saw at thegradcafe that you receive "full funding" at chicago? That's great! Mister New-Antichron!:)

econ08
03-04-2008, 12:51 AM
econ08, man you rock... seems you and me applied to the same places!!

econphilomath, you know what I was thinking the same thing. I didn't apply to PENN and Northwestern though. Oh, congrats on fully funded Chicago. That's sweet!

econphilomath
03-04-2008, 12:52 AM
econphilomath: I just saw at thegradcafe that you receive "full funding" at chicago? That's great! Mister New-Antichron!:)

nahh theirs a bunch of guys in at Harvard.... and everywhere for that matter....

Antichron was not only about admits, but about the spirit of Test Magic. He was awsome... no competition.

econ08, thanks !

signal08
03-04-2008, 12:58 AM
congrats to all!!! berkeley is an awesome school (wish i could get my phd there too :D)

letthisprocessbeoversoon
03-04-2008, 01:00 AM
i am in too! i just got the email..

econphilomath
03-04-2008, 01:02 AM
i am in too! i just got the email..

NICE! Congrats, and let this all be over! AMEN

Thesus
03-04-2008, 01:06 AM
The way these emails are trickling out will soon drive me to jump off a cliff.

I can't help but picture either Romer rubbing their hands and cackling over my application...

Karina 07
03-04-2008, 01:08 AM
ok the email is coming from the Graduate office and is signed by Enrico Moretti Graduate Committee Chair. However since they made this mistake with the funding in my case the person who sent the correction to me was a Graduate Advisor (a student). So the "Grad Office" is this student.

Er... that wouldn't be Patrick, would it? Cuz he's definitely not a student, but "Graduate Advisor" is his formal title. I'm trying to think if I know of anyone else who'd ever use that....

bgg
03-04-2008, 01:08 AM
it's Patrick

Karina 07
03-04-2008, 01:09 AM
And CONGRATS, everyone :). If you've any questions, I'll be around....

Karina 07
03-04-2008, 01:10 AM
it's Patrick

Aha! Well, he's definitely not a student. He's a nice guy who knows everything about the program and takes care of us students but apparently has been over-worked recently.

econphilomath
03-04-2008, 01:17 AM
Aha! Well, he's definitely not a student. He's a nice guy who knows everything about the program and takes care of us students but apparently has been over-worked recently.

Karina_07, thanks for helping out with info. Do you know what time Patrick might quit work and go home?

frankcw
03-04-2008, 01:21 AM
I am in also with 23k! Guys, what u would do if having Berkeley and Yale?

Karina 07
03-04-2008, 01:22 AM
Karina_07, thanks for helping out with info. Do you know what time Patrick might quit work and go home?

... Good question. Oftentimes he leaves early. I'm not really sure what the heck he's doing with these e-mails, because you'd think they'd come all at once -- there are just too many rejects to send personal ones, right? Even if admissions offers are personalized to account for funding differences.

I'm going to keep hazarding that he'll just keep working tonight until everything is sent out. I could be wrong, that's just my guess, and he does often leave early, but I don't see why he'd stop half-way through the list. Sit tight.

econphilomath
03-04-2008, 01:26 AM
... Good question. Oftentimes he leaves early. I'm not really sure what the heck he's doing with these e-mails, because you'd think they'd come all at once -- there are just too many rejects to send personal ones, right? Even if admissions offers are personalized to account for funding differences.

I'm going to keep hazarding that he'll just keep working tonight until everything is sent out. I could be wrong, that's just my guess, and he does often leave early, but I don't see why he'd stop half-way through the list. Sit tight.

Thanks again!

letthisprocessbeoversoon
03-04-2008, 01:28 AM
frankcw: academically, it depends on your field of interest. if you are into behavioral, international or macro, you may want to go to berkeley. if you like metrics, yale seems to be better.
there is no doubt, which place is the nicer one to live at..

econphilomath
03-04-2008, 01:37 AM
Patrick seems to have taken a break....

polkaparty
03-04-2008, 01:42 AM
Perhaps they're done for the night.

economicsphd008
03-04-2008, 01:46 AM
I'm in as well.

econphilomath
03-04-2008, 01:46 AM
Someone check in on Patty...!

econphilomath
03-04-2008, 01:47 AM
I'm in as well.

man, you have 14 posts and like 13 admits! Congrats!

AspiringEconomist
03-04-2008, 01:48 AM
So does no email mean no Berkeley? How does postal mail figure into this? i am concerned...

letthisprocessbeoversoon
03-04-2008, 01:53 AM
i think berkeley is not done with emails yet..
concerning postal mail, i dont know whats going on. i got the email today, but havent received the postal mail yet. but i live at berkeley!

frankcw
03-04-2008, 02:08 AM
Thanks! Lettheprocessbeoversoon. Actually, I do not like metrics. But I am not sure I would not do metrics in the future. What about contract? What about the placement record? Yale seems to have a better record in placement.

Which place is better for living? I am not an American. Sorry

ephyou
03-04-2008, 02:08 AM
i havent heard anything from them (nyc)

Pessimist
03-04-2008, 02:16 AM
I've been lurking for a couple weeks... This is my first post (other than my profile which I just posted a minute ago).

I'm not too sure I can sleep tonight without hearing from Berkeley. Given all the gradcafe entries, I'm pretty convinced that they're done with admits...

signal08
03-04-2008, 02:17 AM
i know for fact that Berkeley sent out all admits at once. BUT-- the package might reach you depending on the speed of mail service, etc.

fp3690
03-04-2008, 02:18 AM
Thanks! Lettheprocessbeoversoon. Actually, I do not like metrics. But I am not sure I would not do metrics in the future. What about contract? What about the placement record? Yale seems to have a better record in placement.

Which place is better for living? I am not an American. Sorry

I think he means Berkeley. 300 days of sun and good temperature a year in the most affluent city in the world, versus 200 days of shivering cold in a small city with a questionable crime rate.

AspiringEconomist
03-04-2008, 02:21 AM
i know for fact that Berkeley sent out all admits at once. BUT-- the package might reach you depending on the speed of mail service, etc.

But did they send out all email admits at once or is there still hope for those of us who have not heard anything?

Pessimist
03-04-2008, 02:21 AM
I still don't really understand the email/postal mail thing. So did anyone who received good news in the mail also received an email today? Also, when was the letter postmarked?

frankcw
03-04-2008, 02:22 AM
So, the crime rate at New Haven is quite high, isn't it?

Olm
03-04-2008, 02:22 AM
I've been lurking for a couple weeks... This is my first post (other than my profile which I just posted a minute ago).

I'm not too sure I can sleep tonight without hearing from Berkeley. Given all the gradcafe entries, I'm pretty convinced that they're done with admits...

Welcome to the forums, it's nice to have you. Good luck in your admissions! :grad:

Pessimist
03-04-2008, 02:23 AM
One more question: who should I contact (email) if I really can't stand the suspense any longer?

savingtheplanet
03-04-2008, 02:23 AM
In at Berkeley (email, 5:34 pm mountain time). 23k fellowship.

AspiringEconomist
03-04-2008, 02:24 AM
Don't not go to Yale because the crime rate is too high. I don't think the crime rate has to be an issue really... Even Berkeley is no safe haven.

08Applicant
03-04-2008, 02:33 AM
Someone feel free to check my tally.

Berkeley grad cafe posts for 3/3/08.

Reject: 6
Waitlist: 2
Accepted without funding: 3
Accepted with funding: 9

I think they have done most, if not all of the fully funded students today. But this hardly seems like enough people to represent the full accepted pool. If they accepted in the neighborhood of 60 people like last year, I would guess more like 25-40 would post on grad cafe. Maybe some are slow to post, but I think we have maybe half of the remaining acceptances left to be notified.

I hope this guess is right.

signal08
03-04-2008, 02:40 AM
But did they send out all email admits at once or is there still hope for those of us who have not heard anything?

oh sorry... i don't know about the email thing. its just that when i stopped by the dept last friday, i was told that the admission letters were being sent out via mail that day (so it would have reached most people today).

econphilomath
03-04-2008, 02:44 AM
so any admits lately? Are they done for the day? Pat don't be lazy man!

Karina 07
03-04-2008, 02:52 AM
Congrats to the new admits! :)

Sorry, I guess I was wrong about Patrick. I mean, I don't know for sure, since I'm not over there in the department right now, but your guess is as good as mine and it sounds like he's closed up shop for the day.

On Berkeley v. Yale, my thoughts: depends on field, both are strong in some of the same things (like development), Berkeley's strengths are labour, public, international, growth, development, behavioural, metrics, and I think soon people will say it's good in finance, it's been focusing on getting more profs there the last while (plus there's Haas). Weaknesses are theoretical micro and theoretical macro. I don't know the strengths/weaknesses of Yale so much, but I would presume that they have similarly few areas of weakness.

Placements need to be spoken to because Yale's had far better placements recently. I'm of the opinion (but this is only my opinion, take it for what it's worth) that Berkeley went downhill for a while and is back on the upswing. First because before Patrick arrived (go Patrick!) the previous Graduate Advisor... she was terrible, and then I think there was a gap for a bit with nobody, and this is relevant because although profs help with placements the Graduate Advisor is still very important (think general department secretary but... I don't know, just a support staff for every occasion). If you look at what Harvard et al. do around the AEA conference, they have rooms booked for them at the same hotel close by to where it's held, with plenty of refreshments and stuff, all very well shepherded by the staff; at Berkeley, people've been scrounging around themselves for cheap hostels at the edge of town. Anyway, it's not as well organized, suffice it to say, and that carries over to other aspects of placement, but they've recognized the need for more support there and have been making changes. The other reason that I think it's back on the upswing is that we've been getting more money recently, like 7-figure donations that profs have been gossiping about. I might just be being optimistic, but. Oh, and finally, they changed policies recently, it used to be that people could basically stay on endlessly with funding, and given that Berkeley is such a nice place to live people would stay on longer than they should :P, and so that was hurting them on the job market. (Wanting to have a happy life and relax? What? What an ill-understood concept.) And now people are encouraged by both money-contingent-on-progress and profs to get out faster (field exams are a bit earlier, etc.). Of course, this can also backfire -- I hear that one of the reasons Yale has had good placements lately is that people have been staying on longer to tweak their papers, so that the average time to complete the degree there is now 6+ years while it's still 5 here, but.

Anyway. I don't think that anyone can give you a cut and dry reason to go to one over another. They're both good places, you can "make it" from either. So go with your heart, whatever it tells you, and maybe that will make you happiest.

Re: weather -- before I came here, I was told that it had "perfect" weather, year-round. I was pretty skeptical. But it's true :).

Olm
03-04-2008, 03:10 AM
Re: weather -- before I came here, I was told that it had "perfect" weather, year-round. I was pretty skeptical. But it's true :).

This is one of the main reasons I am cheering for San Diego :D

wednesday
03-04-2008, 03:10 AM

Sorry, I guess I was wrong about Patrick. I mean, I don't know for sure, since I'm not over there in the department right now, but your guess is as good as mine and it sounds like he's closed up shop for the day.

On Berkeley v. Yale, my thoughts: depends on field, both are strong in some of the same things (like development), Berkeley's strengths are labour, public, international, growth, development, behavioural, metrics, and I think soon people will say it's good in finance, it's been focusing on getting more profs there the last while (plus there's Haas). Weaknesses are theoretical micro and theoretical macro. I don't know the strengths/weaknesses of Yale so much, but I would presume that they have similarly few areas of weakness.

Placements need to be spoken to because Yale's had far better placements recently. I'm of the opinion (but this is only my opinion, take it for what it's worth) that Berkeley went downhill for a while and is back on the upswing. First because before Patrick arrived (go Patrick!) the previous Graduate Advisor... she was terrible, and then I think there was a gap for a bit with nobody, and this is relevant because although profs help with placements the Graduate Advisor is still very important (think general department secretary but... I don't know, just a support staff for every occasion). If you look at what Harvard et al. do around the AEA conference, they have rooms booked for them at the same hotel close by to where it's held, with plenty of refreshments and stuff, all very well shepherded by the staff; at Berkeley, people've been scrounging around themselves for cheap hostels at the edge of town. Anyway, it's not as well organized, suffice it to say, and that carries over to other aspects of placement, but they've recognized the need for more support there and have been making changes. The other reason that I think it's back on the upswing is that we've been getting more money recently, like 7-figure donations that profs have been gossiping about. I might just be being optimistic, but. Oh, and finally, they changed policies recently, it used to be that people could basically stay on endlessly with funding, and given that Berkeley is such a nice place to live people would stay on longer than they should :P, and so that was hurting them on the job market. (Wanting to have a happy life and relax? What? What an ill-understood concept.) And now people are encouraged by both money-contingent-on-progress and profs to get out faster (field exams are a bit earlier, etc.). Of course, this can also backfire -- I hear that one of the reasons Yale has had good placements lately is that people have been staying on longer to tweak their papers, so that the average time to complete the degree there is now 6+ years while it's still 5 here, but.

Anyway. I don't think that anyone can give you a cut and dry reason to go to one over another. They're both good places, you can "make it" from either. So go with your heart, whatever it tells you, and maybe that will make you happiest.

I'd like to take an opportunity to expand on what Karina is saying, especially with regards to finance and micro theory. In finance, I've taken classes from Adam Szeidl and Ulrike Malmendier. They're young, energetic, and brilliant. They are very accessible.

While we don't have very many people in Micro Theory, 1) the people we have are top notch, and 2) because relatively few students work with them, they absolutely lavish attention on those who do. They're very helpful with research and way-more-than-averagely forthcoming with funding.

Karina-- in the econ lounge today, people congratulated me before I had a chance to tell them I had any good news. I've been outed.

Karina 07
03-04-2008, 03:35 AM
I'd like to take an opportunity to expand on what Karina is saying, especially with regards to finance and micro theory. In finance, I've taken classes from Adam Szeidl and Ulrike Malmendier. They're young, energetic, and brilliant. They are very accessible.

While we don't have very many people in Micro Theory, 1) the people we have are top notch, and 2) because relatively few students work with them, they absolutely lavish attention on those who do. They're very helpful with research and way-more-than-averagely forthcoming with funding.

Karina-- in the econ lounge today, people congratulated me before I had a chance to tell them I had any good news. I've been outed.

Haha. Hey, don't look at me, I still don't know who you are! :) Darnit! Now I'm just embarrassed.

In my overly long post, I forgot two things:

1) If there's a course that's not offered here but that's offered at Stanford, you can take it. Similarly you can consult with faculty over there pretty easily, although of course your main advisor would always be at Berkeley. (Stanford and the weather is a good reason the "but you're a public university, you must therefore be doomed to go downhill" argument probably doesn't hold. There's a huge confluence of minds here, not to mention it's a place profs want to live.)

2) On the weather, I've a great story. I had a section last term which met in a room adjacent to a rooftop terrace. During the break, in December, I could hop out of the window and snag an orange off of a tree on the rooftop patio, and eat it in the 2nd half. That was pretty awesome. But yea, there are oranges, lemons... produce in general here is pretty cheap compared to other parts of US and of much better quality, too.

AspiringEconomist
03-04-2008, 04:11 AM
I am sorry to single anyone out but I just want to thank Karina for all her helpful posts over the months. Whenever she writes something it's invariably intelligent and insightful. Fingers crossed for Berkeley :)

beagle07
03-04-2008, 06:41 AM
I also enjoy Karina's wisdom. However, my favorite posters are still Olm and reactor (where is he?). Also, commodore's fake Yale spy shtick provided me with hours of amusement.

eqtisadi
03-04-2008, 06:59 AM
Karina for presidency

Karina 07
03-04-2008, 07:55 AM
Karina for presidency

Haha. First female president of TM? :P

But seriously maybe we should refrain from too many people-listings because I can see people's feelings getting hurt for being helpful but accidentally missed in the list. "Hey, thanks" type things are great :tup:, "let's argue over best posters ever" wouldn't be so much. Not like we're there yet but I just wanted to head that off just in case....

Antonio
03-04-2008, 08:14 AM
I am in!!!!!!!!!!
I can't beleieve it (and probably I do not deserve it!).
23K/4 years.

I think it's a bit bizarre that the only TOP school that accepted me is the Karina's one...also given that when I started posting on this forum 9 months ago she was the only one defending my profile....I am so excited!

elogiombra
03-04-2008, 08:17 AM
Congrats my friend!
you deserve it and you know it!!!
We have to organize a mega super incredible party!

dr_Shpak
03-04-2008, 08:28 AM
Antonio, it is really great . congrats !
when was the letter sent ? ("evropean" yesterday ? )

signal08
03-04-2008, 08:30 AM
I am in!!!!!!!!!!
23K/4 years.

I think it's a bit bizarre that the only TOP school that accepted me is the Karina's one...also given that when I started posting on this forum 9 months ago she was the only one defending my profile....I am so excited!

don't say you "do not deserve it"!! you most certainly do!!
Congrats antonio!! great admit! [clap]

Antonio
03-04-2008, 08:36 AM
Congrats my friend!
you deserve it and you know it!!!
We have to organize a mega super incredible party!

Yeah...we are gonna do it for sure!
Naples rules!

ahahah....see you soon

Antonio
03-04-2008, 08:39 AM
sorry double post

asianeconomist
03-04-2008, 08:50 AM
They've made you an offer that you can't refuse - Congrats : )

touchwood08
03-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Congratulation Antonio, great admits!!!!!:)

They've made you an offer that you can't refuse - Congrats : )

AstralTraveller
03-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Yeah...we are gonna do it for sure!
Naples rules!

ahahah....see you soon

Antonio:

Absolutely well deserved! Go for your dream ;)

Congrats! :tup:
Astral T.

Valhalla
03-04-2008, 11:02 AM
I am in!!!!!!!!!!
23K/4 years.

Yiiihhaaaaaaaaaaa!!! Great Antonio!!! Of course you deserve it!!! Italy rulezZ!! Congrats!!!! Super admit! :tup::tup::tup::tup:

Antonio
03-04-2008, 11:56 AM

Weaknesses are theoretical micro and theoretical macro. I don't know the strengths/weaknesses of Yale so much, but I would presume that they have similarly few areas of weakness .

Wait wait wait.........do you still have there amazing people like Akerlof, Varian, Gilbert, Farrell, Katz, Shapiro, McFadden ????

Why do you say you are not good in theory (especially micro) ?

AspiringEconomist
03-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Congrats Antonio! This is great news. And you can say hi to Karina for me. Just kidding :)

econphilomath
03-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Excellente Antonio!!! Great ADMIT! Finally it had to come! Great job!

bgg
03-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Congrats to all!!!

eqtisadi
03-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Haha. First female president of TM? :P

But seriously maybe we should refrain from too many people-listings because I can see people's feelings getting hurt for being helpful but accidentally missed in the list. "Hey, thanks" type things are great :tup:, "let's argue over best posters ever" wouldn't be so much. Not like we're there yet but I just wanted to head that off just in case....

Ok, I take it back!:)

Point taken (I know you know I didn't mean to offend anyone... argh... where's revealedpreference when we need him/her)

pevdoki1
03-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Things do end well, after all :D

Olm
03-04-2008, 02:12 PM

Uh, no Antonio... the second I saw your profile I knew you were getting into a top 10 and that you were worrying over nothing. So...

told you so! :tup:

Congratulations!

dr_Shpak
03-04-2008, 02:17 PM
ye, pevdoki1 , lets stay optimistic :)

mickey122223
03-04-2008, 02:40 PM
anyone else still had nothing? no email whatsoever

asianecon
03-04-2008, 02:43 PM
moi...nada

Karina 07
03-04-2008, 03:04 PM

Haha, then things have come full circle -- when I was applying people were largely negative but someone noted that Berkeley would be a great fit for me.... CONGRATS!!!!! :)

wednesday
03-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Wait wait wait.........do you still have there amazing people like Akerlof, Varian, Gilbert, Farrell, Katz, Shapiro, McFadden ????

Why do you say you are not good in theory (especially micro) ?

We still have most of those people. We've also got many of the "rising stars": Raj Chetty, Ulrike Malmendier, Adam Szeidl, Stefano Dellavigna, Emmanuel Saez... Not to mention that we have more Romers per capita than anywhere else in the universe.

See my earlier post on Micro.

econphilomath
03-04-2008, 03:38 PM
anyone else still had nothing? no email whatsoever

moi...nada

Nothing here....

Pessimist
03-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Nothing for me either, but it's only 7:45am over there...

08Applicant
03-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Dear Berkeley,

I am volunteering to forgo first year funding. It's win/win. Why are you being so difficult?

polkaparty
03-04-2008, 04:41 PM
It's still only 8:40 AM over there. Also remember that people don't wake up until past 1 PM at Berkeley, so don't expect anything until tonight.

08Applicant
03-04-2008, 06:44 PM
It's not hard to guess that the grad advisor or whomever is supervising the emailings has more important things scheduled in the mornings and will probably wait until early afternoon to resume notifying new students.

jbs02002
03-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Hopefully I am not the only one who has not heard from Berkeley yet...

ephyou
03-04-2008, 06:50 PM
no, i havent heard either. i don't think its necessarily a bad thing yet because plenty of people have heard rejections. i heard they sent out packets on friday, so cross you fingers and check your mailbox today/tom