PDA

View Full Version : Admission Question

econphp06
02-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Hi all,

I am an international applicant and you can see my profile in Profiles 2007 thread. I have a question for you. My GPA increased from 3.23 to 3.33 because my English courses grades increased. However, I sent all documents to the universities which I am applying. If I scan my new transcript and send them, will this benefit my application??? In other words, will adcoms take this into account??

Thank you

zsla
02-04-2008, 10:29 PM
This is a good economics problem. You are the candidate economist. You should be able to solve this problem with your undergrad econ knowledge. Just use MC and MU.

Hint: MU from a unit increase in the grade of your "English" class for your PhD application to an Economics department is certainly lower than the cost of sending out all those stuff.

econphp06
02-04-2008, 10:33 PM
I know that MU<MC . However I wonder that if I send transcript with e-mail, will they take into account this new transcript ?
Thank you for your nice answer :)

This is a good economics problem. You are the candidate economist. You should be able to solve this problem with your undergrad econ knowledge. Just use MC and MU.

Hint: MU from a unit increase in the grade of your "English" class for your PhD application to an Economics department is certainly lower than the cost of sending out all those stuff.

JackMA
02-04-2008, 10:37 PM
why not? at least, it does not hurt.

zsla
02-04-2008, 10:39 PM
Well, you are the first one here who is calling me "nice". Thanks :)

I wouldn't do that, but if you believe that you are on the margin and that additional (small) utility will let you in, then you should try. That additional utility is a function of your class rank and the LORs as well. If you are, say, in the top 5&#37; of your class, that additional benefit will be significantly higher than the benefit when you are like top 30%.

So, having imperfect info about your profile, this is the best I can offer.

econphp06
02-04-2008, 10:51 PM
I decided to send my new transcripts by e-mail. If they don't accept transcript which came via e-mail, I will tell the registrar of my university. If the registrar send the transcripts via e-mail, will this help...

I know I know, these are silly questions, but don't try to find logic at this time :D

JackMA
02-04-2008, 10:54 PM
I decided to send my new transcripts by e-mail. If they don't accept transcript which came via e-mail, I will tell the registrar of my university. If the registrar send the transcripts via e-mail, will this help...

I know I know, these are silly questions, but don't try to find logic at this time :D

If I were you , I would ask the admission office of each school to figure it out if they accept the transcript by email.