PDA

View Full Version : Info on working in U.S. after PhD.

Karina 07
02-04-2008, 11:52 PM
Hi folks,

I've seen questions before about how to work in the states after getting the PhD. I saw the following (below) posted online elsewhere and thought to share it here. I don't make any claims about its accuracy, though it seems about right to me. Basically, if a university wants to hire you after the PhD, no problem. Private sector also probably no problem, because of your degree, though you don't want to leave it to the last minute.

Hope this helps:

---

Edit: go here for the post, as it is too long to copy/paste here for copyright reasons: Economics Job Market Rumors - Private Sector Job Rumors (http://econjobrumors.proboards105.com/index.cgi?board=jobrumorpost&action=display&thread=1194009282&page=7#1199589000)

If the link above ever fails to work, PM me, I'm saving a copy in my e-mail.

econsgirl
02-05-2008, 04:25 PM
Heyyy thanks for this.. it may not be of concern to a lot of Americans but I guess it is very important to international students like myself.. But I have an even bigger problem... I'm not sure if I'm eligible to apply for work visas in the first place because I just completed my exchange programme in the states on a J1 visa and thus am subject to 2 year residency requirement in my home country. Waivers of this requirement can be obtained though..

So I do have some questions that I'm dying to ask but my country's American Embassy is not doing a good job at replying emails....is anyone here facing the same situation? Anyone who held J1 visas previously who are subject to the same requirements?

YoungEconomist
02-05-2008, 05:11 PM
I emailed a prof once at a random school and was asking him some questions. One of the things he mentioned was that he didn't have much of a preference between econ consulting and academia, but academia was easier to make sure he could live in the USA (so he chose academia).

sxsunxin
02-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Heyyy thanks for this.. it may not be of concern to a lot of Americans but I guess it is very important to international students like myself.. But I have an even bigger problem... I'm not sure if I'm eligible to apply for work visas in the first place because I just completed my exchange programme in the states on a J1 visa and thus am subject to 2 year residency requirement in my home country. Waivers of this requirement can be obtained though..

So I do have some questions that I'm dying to ask but my country's American Embassy is not doing a good job at replying emails....is anyone here facing the same situation? Anyone who held J1 visas previously who are subject to the same requirements?

it is really a tough situation. I know one of my friends who is also the J1 visa holder. She got the M.A. admission after finishing her study here. she went back to her home country and then go to the Embassy again. They gave her F1 visa w/t letting her wait for 2 more yrs. I guess(only my guess) it just depends on the official's mood :)