PDA

View Full Version : First Round Cuts

IntEcon80
02-05-2008, 02:05 AM
Do all PhD programs cut some applicants who do not meet a certain GPA and/or GRE threshold

through a first round or is such a practice limited to the Top programs only?

I wonder if the lesser known programs that receive less than 100 applications

a year read all applications regardless of GPA and/or GPA before making a decision

Olm
02-05-2008, 05:24 AM
It depends on the school and whoever happens to be on the admissions committee that year. Looking at the gradcafe database, you will see wild variations in timing for some of the top (and most other) schools for their admissions decisions. When it comes to how your file is viewed, some schools have specific practices that stay constant year to year. For example, Yale has two people go over your file to rank it before a group of seven review it more carefully (going over all the letters, GRE scores, GPA, etc.) to make a decision.

As for just when you were cut: again it's a mystery. Some schools let rejects and admits trickle out, while others throw out all their decisions within the span of two days. Once again it also depends how the adcoms decide to handle the whole process that particular year.

I am pretty sure some schools make a first round cut based on GPA and GRE scores, but I believe such a practice is rare because of how influencial recommendations are. In fact, your recommendations are the most important part of your file. Some schools have hard and fast rules, either on or off the record, about GRE scores; for example, you are in the autoreject pile for Berkeley if you score under a GRE 760Q, and for UBC, the minimum is 770! These minimums are posted right on their web sites.

I hope this post was helpful.

Antonio
02-05-2008, 11:44 AM
I want to share my mental problems with you:

Duke has already sent some rejections and I did not received them (yet) so I should have passed the first round.
On the other hand, it seems that some Universities are already sending admissions to TOP stellar student (I did not applied to Minnesota or Ohio or Austin; but I applied to Berkeley and it seems that they already sent some admissions).

So...how should I feel ? I mean: I am not so bad to be dropped out on the first round, but I am not so good to receive one of the first admission's offers....
I feel bad....

econphilomath
02-05-2008, 12:03 PM
I want to share my mental problems with you:

Duke has already sent some rejections and I did not received them (yet) so I should have passed the first round.
On the other hand, it seems that some Universities are already sending admissions to TOP stellar student (I did not applied to Minnesota or Ohio or Austin; but I applied to Berkeley and it seems that they already sent some admissions).

So...how should I feel ? I mean: I am not so bad to be dropped out on the first round, but I am not so good to receive one of the first admission's offers....
I feel bad....

I would not make much of it right now. Duke is the only one who has sent rejections so far and UCBerkeley didn't officially contact anyone so it doesn't mean anything regarding your application.

That is unless you expected adcoms to call you first before everyone else...:hmm:

So far not much has happened and there is not much unrevealed information in these actions so we still just have to sit and wait. Not getting the Minnesota fellowship hurts, true... but you can only go to one program!!;)

TruDog
02-05-2008, 12:39 PM
I feel bad....

This whole application game is like Dante's Divine Comedy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Divine_Comedy). Surviving the first round of cuts without any news is like going deeper into another circle of hell., or the Inferno. After a great deal of pain and suffering, you will come out with some decisions and reach the Purgatario, or purgatory, as you have to make a tough choice that will affect your life for years and years. Then, once you've made your decision, it's the Paradiso, or paradise, until grad school starts. Once your first year starts, it's an unending pain of MWG problems, dynamic programming, and separating hyperplanes until the prelims come.

But hang in there. You'll get good news soon enough. :)

econphilomath
02-05-2008, 12:47 PM
This whole application game is like Dante's Divine Comedy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Divine_Comedy). Surviving the first round of cuts without any news is like going deeper into another circle of hell., or the Inferno. After a great deal of pain and suffering, you will come out with some decisions and reach the Purgatario, or purgatory, as you have to make a tough choice that will affect your life for years and years. Then, once you've made your decision, it's the Paradiso, or paradise, until grad school starts. Once your first year starts, it's an unending pain of MWG problems, dynamic programming, and separating hyperplanes until the prelims come.

I feel ya:)

Then its on to the job market, then on to publish or perish ... then tenure:whistle: and you die.

Valhalla
02-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Then its on to the job market, then on to publish or perish ... then tenure:whistle: and you die.

And during your leisure time you answer questions at PhD-admission forums like tatonnement :-)... Guys you really make the whole thing very very very attractive....:tup:

One more question: How is it with relationships? Do you guys have girlfriends/boyfriends wives/husbands (maybe one from each) ? I've heard that PhD programs are like poison for relationships and most of them do not even survive the first year? Any experience with that?

commodore
02-05-2008, 01:15 PM

You obviously don't know how much fun the separating hyperplanes can be until you've had it explained (with charade-like aids) by Truman F. Bewley.

TruDog
02-05-2008, 02:09 PM
One more question: How is it with relationships? Do you guys have girlfriends/boyfriends wives/husbands (maybe one from each) ? I've heard that PhD programs are like poison for relationships and most of them do not even survive the first year? Any experience with that?

I'm in a stable long-distance relationship with my wonderful significant other, and that's survived my first year classes and her professional school applications just fine. It seems like few people that I know have any problems with their relationships because of the PhD program.

Oh, well. Back to proving the separating hyperplane theorem, without any fun from interesting visual aids. :(

Olm
02-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Antonio, I wouldn't get confident yet. Duke received a record number of aps this year, it could be that they haven't even reached yours yet.

Duke seems to be weird in their selection of students, and the process is quite random so don't take any rejections personally.

econphilomath
02-05-2008, 11:43 PM
.....Duke received a record number of aps this year,.....

Where did you get that from ? Just curious if its a well founded rumor or just a rumor.

Olm
02-06-2008, 03:12 AM
I read that in the Duke thread where someone called up or emailed the department and asked why his or her application was rejected.

polkaparty
02-06-2008, 03:15 AM
I read that in the Duke thread where someone called up or emailed the department and asked why his or her application was rejected.

Which thread? I don't remember reading this.... Anyway, that's probably not a good idea--calling up the adcom....

econphilomath
02-06-2008, 12:13 PM

What would someone expect the adcom to say anyway? Oh yea we dumped you because... YOU SUCK! Who knows why, and I actually don't want to know.