PDA

View Full Version : How if GPA is lower than 3.0

wuhanyouai
02-05-2008, 09:59 AM
It seems that most programs require a gpa no less than 3.0
my undergraduate is lower than that,is there still hope?
however I would get a master's degree with high gpa and a paper published though not in english(from an asian country)
should I contact some prof. to show them my some advantages hence I may creat some chance to enter the top econ phd programs neither in us or canada(seems weak undergra gpa could be ignored by canadian university if hold a master's degree ?)

Valhalla
02-05-2008, 11:39 AM
however I would get a master's degree with high gpa and a paper published though not in english(from an asian country)
should I contact some prof. to show them my some advantages hence I may creat some chance to enter the top econ phd programs neither in us or canada(seems weak undergra gpa could be ignored by canadian university if hold a master's degree ?)

Hi,

Sorry I don't understand some of the things you state (because you use the word "would"): Do you hold a Masters degree already or do you consider applying for a MA program and hence you plan to get a high GPA there? If you've already received your MA degree: from which university? And how was your MA GPA? If you don't hold a MA degree and you want to apply for a top econ PhD program in the US with a GPA < 3: I would reconsider this decision and aim for lower ranked universities.. but even those institutions (at least they state this on their websites) require GPA's>3... I guess (although I definitely don't know it) that no university (in Canada or in the US) simply ignores your undergrad GPA but if you have a strong GRE and a high MA-GPA from a well known institution they might put less weight on it...

econphilomath
02-05-2008, 12:07 PM
You need to get a decent score on your TOFEL which might be challenging due to your english.

With the MA you can partially negate the bad undergrad GPA, and a decent publication can give your LORs something to say. A good GRE in this particular case might help.

However bad GPA will not go away so you should adjust your expectations accordingly.

wuhanyouai
02-05-2008, 01:40 PM
thank you two and sorry about my english........
i used the word "would" because now i've finished all the courses of my Mphil program and there's a research thesis left to be done for me to get the master's degree.
i still want to have a try......

Valhalla
02-05-2008, 03:23 PM
thank you two and sorry about my english........

There is no reason to apologize...

i still want to have a try......

Sure! Go for it! Good luck! (to all of us of course! :-))

sxsunxin
02-05-2008, 04:11 PM
lol, Is Wuhan where you come from? I also graduate from the school in Wuhan. I do not know how the schools in Wuhan think. They always give the students unbelievable low scores, so FT! I ranked 1st of all my department for my undergraduate study, but my GPA is only 3.6. Before coming to United States, I cannot imagine some one can get the GPA as high as 3.8 or even 4.0! It is so unfair!

But anyway, never never say give up! My boy friend face the same similar situation as you when graduating from the college. His GPA is around 3.0. because of the low GPA, He decided to stay in China for his Master Degree. (So we have to departe for 3 years because of this,crying.....) Still, in Wuhan! Still, he got the low GPA for his graduate study,probably below 3.5 but above 3.0. But he published lots of papers and owns 3 patents in his graduate study, he was admitted by the phd program in MIT.

Working hard towards your dream, one day, it will come true! Good Luck!

It seems that most programs require a gpa no less than 3.0

Valhalla
02-05-2008, 04:23 PM
. His GPA is around 3.0. because of the low GPA, He decided to stay in China for his Master Degree. (So we have to departe for 3 years because of this,crying.....) Still, in Wuhan! Still, he got the low GPA for his graduate study,probably below 3.5 but above 3.0. But he published lots of papers and owns 3 patents in his graduate study, he was admitted by the phd program in MIT.

Hi!

First of all: Thank you (in the name of some of us I guess)! It's really really good to hear that someone with a low GPA but with scientific contributions can be admitted to the PhD program at MIT. This is motivating!

May I ask you which university you're currently attending? And: What is meant with: "My boyfriend owns 3 patents in his graduate studies.:" ? Sorry this is completely new for me...

thx for the info

Mr.Keen
02-05-2008, 05:08 PM
However bad GPA will not go away so you should adjust your expectations accordingly.

I wish somebody had said that to me 6 months ago.:rolleyes:

filroz
02-05-2008, 05:21 PM

Ask me again after march... I am still hoping.

sxsunxin
02-05-2008, 05:41 PM
[quote=Valhalla;544081

May I ask you which university you're currently attending? And: What is meant with: "My boyfriend owns 3 patents in his graduate studies.:" ? Sorry this is completely new for me...

thx for the info[/quote]

1. I have graduated with Master degree and am working now. I am applying the phd Degree right now and want to go back to Boston.

2.sorry for confused you. But I really do not know how to express it. He has 3 patents? or he invent 3 patents? or his name is in 3 patents?....his major is engineering, not in economic field.

polkaparty
02-05-2008, 07:24 PM
What is meant with: "My boyfriend owns 3 patents in his graduate studies.:" ? Sorry this is completely new for me...

2.sorry for confused you. But I really do not know how to express it. He has 3 patents? or he invent 3 patents? or his name is in 3 patents?....his major is engineering, not in economic field.

Patents are a form of intellectual property protection in the U.S., protecting various inventions, etc.

As far as grammar goes, "___ has 3 patents" is probably best. Then you'd say "___ has a patent which gives him or her the right to create or license [technology/invention that the person thought of]". "___ owns 3 patents" sounds OK as well.

Engineers are clearly much more likely to obtain a patent for an invention than economists are.

Valhalla
02-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Thx for the clearification polka but I knew of course what a patent is... I was just surprised that someone received patents for "economic ideas" ... I just didn't know that this guy studied engineering. Further given that I am pretty interested in modelling R&D and spillovers (using supermodularity) and as I am also currently working on the empirics in this field I would have been extremely surprised (shocked) if, especially (!) in some asian countries, economics ideas can be "protected"... given that "they" (that's politically incorrect I guess) typically don't care at all about intellectual property rights as you know...

filroz
02-05-2008, 07:54 PM
Imagine that somebody like Becker would ask you to pay him a dollar,. everytime you do something, because he postulate rationality in that way...
Fortunately, I am bounded :D

wuhanyouai
02-08-2008, 04:29 AM
But I'm worried about if there is a "strict 3.0 cut line".I mean,no matter what I've got in other fields,even though I've got publications and a master degree,a university will kick me out of the application just because my undergraduate GPA is lower than 3.0

wuhanyouai
02-08-2008, 04:38 AM
In the website of most universities,that the bottom line is GPA of 3.0 is clearly announced.

filroz
02-08-2008, 07:58 AM
I would say that I matters more for US students, educational system elsewhere can have completely different distribution of results...

filroz
02-08-2008, 07:59 AM
double post... sorry