PDA

View Full Version : Masters Decision Thread.

Pages : [1] 2

Ecocentric
02-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Hey guys...
Most of the people here seem to be PhD applicants, I'm sure there are master's applicants as well. So thought I'd start a thread for master's admit/reject decisions.

Here goes..
LSE MSc EME: Reeeeeeject! :doh: (aww come on)
Found out a week back from the 'LSE For You' website.
Profile:http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/75333-roll-call-fall-2007-applicants-8.html

Eargerly waiting for the rest of the schools..

mysherona
02-05-2008, 12:55 PM
I think "The Decisions Thread" that's stickied on top will serve the purpose. But while we're on the topic, did you apply for the 1- or 2-year EME? Are they now considering your second choice?

Ecocentric
02-05-2008, 01:33 PM
I think "The Decisions Thread" that's stickied on top will serve the purpose. But while we're on the topic, did you apply for the 1- or 2-year EME? Are they now considering your second choice?

Thought the Stickied thread was a clutter of both PhD and Master's posts. Thought a thread like this would give more clarity to the master's admissions. Anyways..

Applied for the one year course. Thought I had a decent math background, but a reject. Oh well.

Ecocentric
02-05-2008, 01:39 PM
oh forgot to answer your other question...
I dint give a second choice I wanted to do the 1yr EME or nothing..

mysherona
02-05-2008, 01:48 PM
I see... Which other master's programs are you applying to? Oh, and when did you complete your LSE application? I sent mine in on Dec 18 and still no word. I put in the 1-year EME as my first choice.

Ecocentric
02-05-2008, 02:03 PM
The rest of the masters programs are at NYU, BU, Duke, Michigan, UIUC.. thats it. Which other master's programs have you applied to? and what is your 2nd preference at LSE?
I applied on Dec 24th..

buckykatt
02-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Yay, Master's thread! ;) I've applied for master's in econ, math, and stats at a local school and I'm eagerly awaiting the results...

Nebuchadrezzar
02-05-2008, 04:54 PM
hey ecocentric, when did you applied to the eme programme? (I mean when was the documentation complete)

mysherona
02-05-2008, 08:18 PM
My 2nd preference is the 1-year MSC in Econ. I also applied for the MPhil programs at Oxford and Cambridge. Does anyone know if LSE automatically considers you for the 2-year routes?

Ecocentric
02-06-2008, 02:48 AM
hey ecocentric, when did you applied to the eme programme? (I mean when was the documentation complete)

I got the confirmation mail on Jan 7th.
Which are your 1st n 2nd preferences at LSE?

Ecocentric
02-06-2008, 02:58 AM
Does anyone know if LSE automatically considers you for the 2-year routes?

The LSE program website does not mention this explicitily.
But I had gone for a LSE student recruitment meet where they did mention they consider applicants for other courses(apart from their preferences) in given circumstances(??).
This is vague and does not give a clear answer to your question.

Ne one else here know ne thing bout this?

mysherona
02-06-2008, 03:02 AM
Ahh, I have read about someone who applied for the MRes/PhD but was asked to enter an MSc program first/instead. That's one instance.

Nebuchadrezzar
02-06-2008, 03:04 PM
I got the confirmation mail on Jan 7th.
Which are your 1st n 2nd preferences at LSE?

1st: msc eme
2nd: msc econ

filroz
02-06-2008, 04:03 PM
me too, 1st eme, 2. normal econ msc...
btw, no news from LSE since last week... something is in the air :luck2:

philipe
02-06-2008, 04:07 PM
1st: msc economics (1yr route)
2nd: msc economics (2yr route)

i just cannot support whis waiting anymore... i decided i will travel for a couple of weeks next friday... here i am spending all my days on the internet...

rcwlhk
02-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Hey guys,

I just got this an email from LSE today, subject "How Do I...contact LSE Graduate Admissions?". It goes into details about how to check the status of my application and how to contact the admissions office.

Then, when I checked my "LSE for you" application status page, I see my status has changed to this:

A decision has been made on this choice and is being processed. Processing involves checking by a senior member of staff, and occasionally verification of one or more details by your Department. Most decisions will be finalised and appear here within one or two working days (remember to allow for weekends!), however if we require clarification from the Department your status will remain unchanged for longer periods. No further information is available until all checks have been completed, and the decision will be posted here first.

I'm so nervous! What and/or how can I read into this? What does this mean? Is any one else getting some sort of similiar status update from LSE?

I applied for:
(1) 2-yr EME
(2) 2-yr Econ

FYI, I submitted my online application on January 18.

polkaparty
02-07-2008, 10:35 PM
I'm so nervous! What and/or how can I read into this? What does this mean? Is any one else getting some sort of similiar status update from LSE?

With the caveat that there are no guarantees, it seems like everyone who ever got that message always ended up getting in.... (people who are rejected appear to find out immediately)

mysherona
02-07-2008, 10:36 PM
That's great, rcwlhk. I think someone else got that message a few weeks ago then eventually got admitted.

Just to check again, is there anyone else who applied in December but hasn't gotten a response from LSE?

rcwlhk
02-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Wow! I'll hold on to my shirts until the final "YES" from LSE! Thanks again for the help guys!

I'll keep all of you updated (successful or not).

Nebuchadrezzar
02-08-2008, 01:05 AM
yes mysherona, i applied on dec. 11, still no reply.

rcwlhk
02-08-2008, 08:59 PM
One working / business day has gone by --- still no change from the "A decision has been made on this choice" status. But still keeping optimistic! :tup::grad:

EconMsGiggle
02-11-2008, 02:03 AM
I also applied the MSc in Economics (2 yr programme) but don't have received anything yet.... I'm so nervous...

Only UIUC mailed me good news....

Now... My applied courses are all quiet...

NYU, UMich, Duke --- MA in Economics
UMN-TC, Cornell --- MS in Applied Economics
LSE --- MSc in Economics (2yr Programme)

Ecocentric
02-11-2008, 12:25 PM
I also applied the MSc in Economics (2 yr programme) but don't have received anything yet.... I'm so nervous...

I got an admit to UIUC too on Feb 7th.

EconMsGiggle, I've applied to almost the same places except UMN-TC and Cornell.
Have you heard anything from NYU, Duke, Umich? And when did you get your UIUC admit?

asianeconomist
02-11-2008, 05:20 PM

It seems like the Cornell AEM program is apparently not a popular choice. Without us, I have found only one other applicant to the program. I wonder why........ :whistle:

rcwlhk
02-11-2008, 09:06 PM
I'm in!

LSE --- MSc in Econometrics and Mathematical Economics (2yr)

As expected, no graduate merit award (I figured this expectation was realistic by reading previous TM'ers post on MSc's in LSE).

Thanks a lot guys for all your help! Best of luck to you all with the admissions process!

filroz
02-11-2008, 09:15 PM
rcwlhk: congratulations!!!:tup:
I am still refreshing and hoping...:mad:

EconMsGiggle
02-12-2008, 01:35 AM
I got an admit to UIUC too on Feb 7th.

EconMsGiggle, I've applied to almost the same places except UMN-TC and Cornell.
Have you heard anything from NYU, Duke, Umich? And when did you get your UIUC admit?

Unfortunately, I have not heard anything from schools for which I applied except UIUC.

UIUC offered me on Jan 7th by email.

EconMsGiggle
02-12-2008, 01:42 AM
It seems like the Cornell AEM program is apparently not a popular choice. Without us, I have found only one other applicant to the program. I wonder why........ :whistle:

I don't know why, either.

Maybe...
1) Ithaca is not a good place to live. (beautiful but cold and rural)
2) AEM is not a course on economics... it's an agri economics course.

... just my assumption.

rcwlhk
02-12-2008, 03:53 AM

Best of luck to you too! :grad:

rcwlhk: congratulations!!!:tup:
I am still refreshing and hoping...:mad:

filroz
02-14-2008, 09:12 PM
I have one question to those who applied to LSE. I am not sure whether my references are all right.
On decision page (lse for you) it says that
First reference
Copy Received (XXX)
Second reference
Passed Check (YYY)
Why there are not just one thing (either "copy received" or "passed check")? What does your page tell you?

rcwlhk
02-14-2008, 10:38 PM
Hey filroz,

My page (before my offer ;)) said "Passed Check" for both my references. In fact, when I look into my 2nd preference right now (i.e. MSc Economics - 2yr), it still says "Passed Check" for both of my references.

Perhaps you want to give LSE a shout in this regard?

Best of luck!

rcwlhk
02-14-2008, 10:40 PM
I do want to add, however, that it seems LSE has not received my official GRE scores (which, obviously, were supposed to be delivered to the school directly from ETS). Now, it wants an "official proof" of my GRE scores...

FYI. I wrote my GRE on Jan 7, 2008.

Hmm....

EconMsGiggle
02-15-2008, 01:53 AM
I have one question to those who applied to LSE. I am not sure whether my references are all right.
On decision page (lse for you) it says that
First reference
Copy Received (XXX)
Second reference
Passed Check (YYY)
Why there are not just one thing (either "copy received" or "passed check")? What does your page tell you?

If your application is under consideration now, I think there is no problem.

:tup: UIUC
:hmm: LSE, Duke, NYU, UMich, UMN-TC, Cornell
:mad: Not Yet

Ecocentric
02-15-2008, 04:56 AM
EconMsGiggle, could you pls share your profile.. you could probably put it up on the roll call thread. I'm curious coz Ive applied to similar schools, my profile is already on the roll call thread.
Thanks in advance!

filroz
02-15-2008, 06:56 AM
I have received an email telling that my application is complete (or at least I read it that way) many weeks ago, maybe even more then 8 weeks, so I am just a bit curious...
:hmm:

update:
if someone has the same question look at this:
https://lfylive.lse.ac.uk/lfy/tc/enquiries/enquiry.html?a=4&q=36602&searchString=
it seems that I should not worry, however, I do not know how recommendations sent by online interface could differ in this respect...

EconMsGiggle
02-15-2008, 07:20 AM
EconMsGiggle, could you pls share your profile.. you could probably put it up on the roll call thread. I'm curious coz Ive applied to similar schools, my profile is already on the roll call thread.
Thanks in advance!

Ok. I posted my prophile on the roll call thread....

I think you are more competitive than me...

EconMsGiggle
02-15-2008, 07:56 AM
I have received an email telling that my application is complete (or at least I read it that way) many weeks ago, maybe even more then 8 week, so I am just a bit curious...
:hmm:

update:
if someone has the same question look at this:
https://lfylive.lse.ac.uk/lfy/tc/enquiries/enquiry.html?a=4&q=36602&searchString=
it seems that I should not worry, however, I do not know how recommendations sent by online interface could differ in this respect...

My application files were completed on Dec. 28, 2007...

Ah... When do they tell me my fortune...:crazy::mad::idea:

filroz
02-15-2008, 08:02 AM
The process is a mystery for me. Somebody got accepted (or rejected) just after two or three weeks, I am waiting from mid-December...
I interpret it that they are not sure about EME (first option) and I hope that it means that I would get in for normal master, which is my second option...
pleaaaaaaase!

maya.arco
02-15-2008, 09:00 AM
:S$vboptions[postminchars]

filroz
02-15-2008, 09:05 AM
i called to LSE and they have told me that copies of GRE and TOEFL score reports are sufficient at first and then IF you get admitted, you send official ones. therefore, i didnt sent any official scores.

hope they were right
I hope we all will need to solve this problem :tup:

maya.arco
02-15-2008, 09:49 AM
:D$vboptions[postminchars]

Ecocentric
02-15-2008, 11:06 AM
I think you are more competitive than me...

I dont think both of us are in a postition to judge who is more competitive.. you have a lot of econ experience(i have none) plus all the econ courses you've done(again i have none) during your undergrad.. and both of us are in it for different reasons.. I really want to go on to do a PhD (havent you thought about it?).. and you want to sharpen your econ skills(get back to private/public sector?)..

As for the UIUC admit.. what do u think of the program?

EconMsGiggle
02-15-2008, 02:53 PM
I dont think both of us are in a postition to judge who is more competitive.. you have a lot of econ experience(i have none) plus all the econ courses you've done(again i have none) during your undergrad.. and both of us are in it for different reasons.. I really want to go on to do a PhD (havent you thought about it?).. and you want to sharpen your econ skills(get back to private/public sector?)..

As for the UIUC admit.. what do u think of the program?

Yes... My company will fully support me up to two years for the econ master course. Thus I should return my company after completing the course.

Some alumni of UIUC MSPE program are around me... they said MSPE is so flexible... I think... if you have a plan to advance to a Ph.d program you should choose the program among UIUC, Duke, NYU and LSE... Never select University of Michigan...

Ecocentric
02-15-2008, 06:37 PM
if you have a plan to advance to a Ph.d program you should choose the program among UIUC, Duke, NYU and LSE... Never select University of Michigan...

Im not sure on what basis you are suggesting this..

If its coz u think it would be harder(or no chance) to get into Michigan's PhD program through the MAE, the same would apply for NYU and Duke right? Duke does mention that master's students have gone on to their PhD, same with UIUC.

Do you know people who have gone on to the PhD at NYU, Duke, UIUC after doing the master's from the same universities?

I think I've read in one of the older masters threads here about a person from the MA Econ at NYU who went on to the PhD program.

EconMsGiggle
02-18-2008, 03:02 AM
Im not sure on what basis you are suggesting this..

If its coz u think it would be harder(or no chance) to get into Michigan's PhD program through the MAE, the same would apply for NYU and Duke right? Duke does mention that master's students have gone on to their PhD, same with UIUC.

Do you know people who have gone on to the PhD at NYU, Duke, UIUC after doing the master's from the same universities?

I think I've read in one of the older masters threads here about a person from the MA Econ at NYU who went on to the PhD program.

Yeh.... Frankly to say, I don't have correct information about the possibility and chance to a Ph.D course from a master course.

However, on almost all websites of the master courses they claim that "our course is not for seekers of Ph.D degree".

I think mathematical prerequisites is the highest barrier applying to an Econ Ph.D course. The master course of US grad schools cannot provide sufficient math courses owing to their professional-oriented coursework.

Especially, the master course of the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) is the most professional-oriented course. Although it is possible that I knew incorrectly, I have no information anyone who advanced to the Ph.D course at any schools among their alumni.

But, some alumi of LSE, UIUC, NYU, DUKE have advanced to Ph.D course every year.

Finally... as long as I've known... NYU and Duke don't accept their students completing master course for their ph.d course. If you go to NYU or DUKE, you'll apply other schools for Ph.D degree.

I think you'll be in ph.d degree in near future because your math background is relatively strong...

Ecocentric
02-18-2008, 03:58 AM
EconMsGiigle, thanks for letting me know what you think.

Well, for the time being, Ill wait for the admission results to trickle in, if I do get a couple of admits, I'll try and talk to the program directors as to whether i'd be able to customize the course offerings to suit a more PhD type preparation.. lets see..

kuejai
02-18-2008, 04:44 AM
So far, I haven't heard anyone on TM accepted at master program at Vanderbilt yet, except me. Anyone apply to the program? What do you all think about it?

rcwlhk
02-18-2008, 05:39 AM
While we're at the topic of the suitability of Masters courses in terms of preparing you for a PhD, what do you guys think about LSE's MSc EME and/or Econ?

I gather, from just reading various posts on TM, that the Canadian and European Masters do prepare you better in terms of PhD admissions than the American counterparts. But why exactly is it like this? Can somebody please elaborate?

Thx!

Ecocentric
02-18-2008, 07:13 AM
I gather, from just reading various posts on TM, that the Canadian and European Masters do prepare you better in terms of PhD admissions than the American counterparts. But why exactly is it like this? Can somebody please elaborate?

Well not sure If I have the answer to that..but I do have a few questions.. why can't the US masters be a good preparation for the PhD given that each student is able to frame his/her curriculum and allowed to take a few PhD level courses(which Im sure can be done)? This would facilitate decent LORs and would be a good signalling mechanism for the Phd.. I think if the US master's students do this, they defntly would be competitive PhD applicants..

While we're at the topic of the suitability of Masters courses in terms of preparing you for a PhD, what do you guys think about LSE's MSc EME and/or Econ?

I think the EME would be a good stepping stone to a PhD program.. about the MSc Econ, well it would be too, but the EME has such a strong focus on mathematics that imo a EME student would be better equipped at the PhD level..

Ecocentric
02-18-2008, 07:17 AM
but how many programs allow students the flexibility to do what i mentioned above?.. i think it boils down to this, coz most of the masters conferring programs have good PhD programs as well..

avkuvalekar
02-18-2008, 07:38 AM
hi guys,

First of all congrats to all those people who got in at LSE, UIUC, NYU and other good places. For those who didn't, hope that good news is on it's way. :)

this thread probably seems the most relevant to what i had been looking for since quite some days. It would be great if you people could give me some feedback about my profile and chacnes for masters in econ at UK, US, Europe.

Undergrad - Energy Engineering (Electrical Dept) from Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur. (relying on the reputation, purely :) )
GPA - 3 /4
Maths Courses - MAI , MAII, ODE - PDE , Transform Calculus (No prob stats, linear algebra, real analysis courses)
Econ Courses - Economics
Work experience - Currently working in one of the leading investment banks in the Singapore division in commodities IT.

I know it's a pretty average profile with no good math or econ background. I am aiming for 2009. I would like to know about the possible professional certification exams that I can take to boost my application. exams like CFA, Actuaries or something of that sort.

Haven't taken GRE yet. Will take it later this year. Alternatively, I have an option of joining some good masters programs in India (I have to crack the entrance for that though) but if you people feel that even after taking some certifcation exams etc, it's gonna be a tough call for 2009 masters then please feel free to say so.

rcwlhk
02-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Hey Ecocentric,

Thanks for the reply.

I've been looking deeply into the curriculum of LSE's EME (2-yr) program. And even in the 2-yr program, there seems to be not a lot of flexibility in terms of course choices. Namely, they pretty much specify which courses you can take and how many courses you can take.

Also, (I've posted another thread on TM related to this) it seems that LSE does not have summer school programs for math / stats / quant courses. So, I don't know what I'll end up doing for like 4 months.

My Two Cents
Honestly, I've never been to school in the UK so I have no idea about its method of teaching. Here is what I know about the UK system (but please do correct me if I'm wrong). They do the "full unit" versus "half unit" thing whereby a full unit usually means cover both terms (I think they call it Michaelmas and Lent terms) and half unit only covers one term. And I also understand that, unlike the North American way where we have regular assignments and midterm exams, the grading in the UK pretty much depends on that one single final exam at the end of the term. Hence, I'm somewhat perplexed --- here in Canada, a typical student takes 5 courses per semester and there are two semesters per academic year, so we take 10 courses per academic year (and of course, more if you do the summer session as well). But whereas in the UK, they do 4 full units (or so?) per year.

I guess my question is hence --- are the 4 full units the UK students take equivalent to 4 x 2 = 8 courses that we take here? I mean, in that one single full unit course there is double the content coverage here? Or how does it work?

(I have a feeling I'm drifting off topic on this post...)

filroz
02-18-2008, 03:15 PM
Basicaly, it is said, that US masters are more applied etc... However, value of LSE masters is discussed here quite often and I find it strange that there are opinions that EME can get you into top10 for sure or that is not very helpful.
I just wonder, whether there is somebody who did LSE and then vent to US for phd, please tell us!

Smileysquared
02-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Avkualekar, with respect to the actuarial exams are you sure you just want to do them just to increase your chances of getting into a PhD programme? I have decided to start the actuarial exams under the Society of Actuaries but from what I have read it is a very specialized field....I think rather than doing this particular qualification which is going to take a long time to complete probably it is better if you take some advanced math courses instead. The reason why I say this is because you said that you are looking to get into a programme next year and there really isn't much time untill you apply to universities. In addtion to that you are an engineer and I know that engineers working in the energy field usually have stong analytical skills because of the modelling work involved. I really do not think that the Mathematics will be a barrier to your entry. Your work experience will also be to your advantage. I applied to Warwick and Durham (as Cambridge and Oxford didn't have the combination I wanted and I got accepted. Anyway Warwick has a higher world ranking than LSE presently.

tangsiuje
02-18-2008, 03:45 PM
I guess my question is hence --- are the 4 full units the UK students take equivalent to 4 x 2 = 8 courses that we take here? I mean, in that one single full unit course there is double the content coverage here? Or how does it work?
I'm not quite sure that I understand your question. I'm assuming that it refers to the graduate level...?! At U of T, for instance, they expect you to take 8 half-year courses for a one-year academic program at the MA level. I'm quite sure this is about equivalent to taking 4 full-year courses at the LSE.

At the undergraduate level, most Canadian students take the equivalent of 10 half-year courses in one year. In England, we usually take 120 cats (a unit of credit) per academic year, which could be taken as 6, 12, 24, or 30 cats modules (or any combination of these). The most common arrangement for students in arts and soc sci is to take four 30-cats modules in one academic year (which gives you the 4 full-year modules).

From my experience, Canadian students study more than their English counterparts, on average, just to keep up with their classes. However, the English system has a lot more "air": it might be fairly straightforward to get, say, 98% in your classes at a Canadian uni, and then it won't really pay off (in terms of grades) to study any more. However, whilst everything above 70% is considered "first-class" here, you could always improve your marks by putting more effort in - there is really no ceiling (marks above 80 are extremely rare in essay-based subjects). Of course, not many people do this. :whistle:

buckykatt
02-18-2008, 04:17 PM
This discussion leads to a dilemma I'm having re: taking Ph.D. level courses as part of a master's program here in the US (assuming I get accepted). It seems fairly standard for Ph.D. students to take three courses per semester, while master's students take four. (I'm assuming that in both cases students have TA responsibilities, otherwise the Ph.D. students might take four.) I'm planning to take at least some of my courses at the Ph.D. level (micro, math methods, and perhaps stats/metrics), but I'm worried that with a fourth course (and TA responsibilities) this might be too high a load. What do y'all think?

avkuvalekar
02-19-2008, 01:43 AM
@smileysquared,
thanks for that but as you can see the main problem that i have is i can't attend university courses anymore. i ahve graduated and indian system doesn't work like you go to a university, earn some credits that you want and proceed. it's a bit too rigid for all these things. i said actuaries, as it could probably be an alternative to taking a full time 2 year masters. also, my curriculum doesn't have great MA courses and of all that I have, the grades have gone down with time...thanks to those absolute grading awfully tough maths courses at iits, which eventually kept me away from a fundamentally important course like prob stats as i was too scared to take a C or D again.
I have somewhat made up my mind that I will try and get into the 2 best indian masters (as they have an entrance test which means that i can do away with my lack of eco/ma background) and then app for a good ph.d. as that seems to a viable and relatively secure option unless of course i do come up with something of the sort that you say, going to a university just to attend a few courses.

@everyone else, sorry for going off topic. please continue. :)

AstralTraveller
02-19-2008, 02:24 AM
Basicaly, it is said, that US masters are more applied etc... However, value of LSE masters is discussed here quite often and I find it strange that there are opinions that EME can get you into top10 for sure or that is not very helpful.
I just wonder, whether there is somebody who did LSE and then vent to US for phd, please tell us!

Somebody I know recently returned from his PhD. He did the EME at LSE, and then went to Purdue for his PhD. FWIW.

filroz
02-19-2008, 06:49 AM
Somebody I know recently returned from his PhD. He did the EME at LSE, and then went to Purdue for his PhD. FWIW.
Purdue is not really great, when EME is considered to be the best (top1) master program in the world... Do you whehter there were some obstacle which prevent him from going to some better place (low UGPA, etc...)?

But it seems that LSE does not want me, so I should not bother :(

AstralTraveller
02-19-2008, 06:13 PM
Purdue is not really great, when EME is considered to be the best (top1) master program in the world... Do you whehter there were some obstacle which prevent him from going to some better place (low UGPA, etc...)?(

I understand that he applied to about 15 places, and got accepted at two: Purdue and someplace else. He has always sounded so excited about his degree, and about how great was his experience at Purdue. He specialized in Financial Economics and Microeconometrics.

I don't know why he attended a lower ranked program after LSE...but the guy is a good economist, and seemingly Purdue fit him well.

rcwlhk
02-20-2008, 12:35 AM
It's nice to know that there was a precedent from an EME alum to a PhD :) Another data point for the TM community!

Thx!

I understand that he applied to about 15 places, and got accepted at two: Purdue and someplace else. He has always sounded so excited about his degree, and about how great was his experience at Purdue. He specialized in Financial Economics and Microeconometrics.

I don't know why he attended a lower ranked program after LSE...but the guy is a good economist, and seemingly Purdue fit him well.

rcwlhk
02-20-2008, 12:38 AM
Thanks for correcting my misunderstandings about the differences between the North American (or Canadian in my case) and UK education system. Again, all my education has revolved around the North American system so I have next to nil experiences with what's going on on the other side of the Atlantic. But thanks for correcting me!

I've heard about how it is difficult to achieve high grades (percentage-wise) in the UK system. But can you elaborate on the statement "From my experience, Canadian students study more than their English counterparts, on average, just to keep up with their classes. However, the English system has a lot more 'air'"

Thanks!

I'm not quite sure that I understand your question. I'm assuming that it refers to the graduate level...?! At U of T, for instance, they expect you to take 8 half-year courses for a one-year academic program at the MA level. I'm quite sure this is about equivalent to taking 4 full-year courses at the LSE.

At the undergraduate level, most Canadian students take the equivalent of 10 half-year courses in one year. In England, we usually take 120 cats (a unit of credit) per academic year, which could be taken as 6, 12, 24, or 30 cats modules (or any combination of these). The most common arrangement for students in arts and soc sci is to take four 30-cats modules in one academic year (which gives you the 4 full-year modules).

From my experience, Canadian students study more than their English counterparts, on average, just to keep up with their classes. However, the English system has a lot more "air": it might be fairly straightforward to get, say, 98% in your classes at a Canadian uni, and then it won't really pay off (in terms of grades) to study any more. However, whilst everything above 70% is considered "first-class" here, you could always improve your marks by putting more effort in - there is really no ceiling (marks above 80 are extremely rare in essay-based subjects). Of course, not many people do this. :whistle:

tangsiuje
02-20-2008, 03:26 AM
Okay. I'll do my best. This is based solely on my own non-representative observations during my studies in Canada and the UK.

Firstly, I'd say that for many subjects (e.g., economics), the continuous workload in Canada is higher than in England. You have to write one or two term papers each semester, or do a few number (say, biweekly) problem sets for each of your classes. Grades are commonly awarded based on, say, 50% final, 25% midterm, 25% term papers/problem sets. This means that there is an incentive to do well throughout, and keep up with your work on a continuous basis.

At my university in England, we rarely get any problem sets, and if we do, it's still rare that they count for credit. We might get one shorter essay or assignment per semester in each classes, but grades are based to at least 80% on the final. Since you only need 70% to get the highest grade over all, many people just don't care too much about assignments. In addition, a good number of classes are assessed 100% by one final examination.

Obviously, many students here work very hard from about Easter, preparing for exams. However, I'd say that this doesn't quite compensate for the continuous efforts exerted by most Canadians. Moreover, since it is fairly easy to pass with "good" grades (60-69), many people just never put that maximum effort in. (I'm talking average effects here: there will always be exceptions, of course...)

The air thingy was probably a quite poor analogy. I was just trying to say that in this country, they create an illusion that you can always do better if you study more. For instance, you can get 73% on your finals (this would be a very good grade), but you could always obtain a higher mark by studying more. In Canada (and in the US, from what I've understood), it's not unusual to obtain marks like 99, 98, 96, etc. This signals that you couldn't have done better even had you studied more (there was simply no way of acing your exams to a higher degree). This could be kind of dangerous, I feel, since it's unlikely that any undergraduate (or graduate, whatever), would ever perform "perfectly".

In England, it is relatively easy to do well but difficult to excel, and grades tend to be heavily concentrated in the 60-69 range (about 80% of students from my university graduate with an "upper second", i.e., averaging about 60-69). In Canada, on the other hand, it requires more effort to do well (more people fail or obtain Cs), but it's easier to excel (say, get an A).

I could probably go on for ages about this, but personally, I believe I have good reason to apply for grad school in Canada rather than in England.

rcwlhk
02-20-2008, 04:57 AM
Hey tangsiuje (http://www.urch.com/forums/../members/tangsiuje.html),

Really appreciate the insight in North American vs. UK education methodology.

On one hand, I'm quite flattered to hear Canadian students "tend" to work harder to achieve a good grade in a course. On the other hand, I can't stop but to respect the pressure one goes through in the UK education system --- namely, your entire grade for that course depends on that one single 2-3 hr final exam / assessment. I can sense that in the UK, you definitely lose the benefit of diversification. Whereas in Canada / US, you do get a "second" chance, so to speak.

I would've thought that given the above incentives, a student in the UK would work extra hard to keep up throughout the entire semester just so that there wouldn't be any screw ups in that one single final assessment. But since you mentioned that there's a "disincentive" (if you can call it that) to achieve a higher grade (namely, as you had mentioned, the artificial depression of grades and the relative ease of passing), it is actually quite shocking to me that it turns out to be the way it is right now.

With regards to your comment about having 99%, 98%, 96% etc. I think I can shed some commentary on this as well. At least here in UBC, we run on a percentage system. Namely, A- is 80-84%, A is 85-89% and A+ is 90-100% (I could be off on the ranges slightly). Now, contrast this to the grade point average (GPA) system, whereby an A is just 4.0 (or 4.33, depending on your scale). This directly addresses your comment about the "seeming perfection" of a student in any given course. I can say that it is quite rare for students to score 90%+ on a course (we're talking about Math courses here, not some random "grade booster" course).

Now, here's a scenario for you. Say there is a student in the GPA system (which, I believe is the most common in the US) and a student in the percentage system. Say the student under the percentage system scored 85% (A), compared to the GPA student who scored a 4.0. Under the percentage system, it would appear that student is still 15% off from "perfection" whereas the 4.0 GPA student is already "at perfection". This, then, creates an imbalanced perception to the quality of students.

Now, think about this. Obviously a student with a 90% (A+) is a lot better than one with a 80% (A-) average. However, if you convert their scores to a GPA, both of them would have 4.0. How is that even remotely fair?

So, in closing, I have to say that it isn't that easy to get a "good mark" (so to speak) under the percentage system as it would seem.

Olm
02-20-2008, 06:07 AM
It's "fair" because grading standards vary by department. Besides, an A- is a 3.7 GPA no matter if the scale is 4.0 or 4.3; the A+ is the only difference between the two scales.

When adcoms convert grades, the standard practice is, for GPA systems that have A+s, they simply drop them in their conversion: for example, if your grades are A+ A- A+ A-, on a 4.3 scale your final GPA would be 4.0. On a 4.0 scale, the grades would become A A- A A-, with a final GPA of 3.85.

Back on topic. I have applied to one Master's Program, the Oxford one. :)

(comma splices because I'm tired)

rcwlhk
02-20-2008, 08:50 AM
I still have to exert that it is unfair.

You see --- that's exactly the problem with converting a percentage to a grade letter then to a GPA.

For instance,
80% => A- => 3.7
84% => A- => 3.7

So, isn't a 84% better than a 80%? If you think about it, grading by percentage is by a linear scale. Grading by GPA is more of a fixed-step scale. And actually, you really can't convert them. What's more is that around here, we get decimals of a percentage point! And also, our individual course grades gets rounded down (i.e. 83.5% means 83%)!

But the part that sucks is that even though you can't convert them, the rest of the world refers to things by GPA whereas only some select universities use the percentage system. Hence, the guys who use the percentage system (i.e. me) get my grades artificially depressed the moment it gets converted to a GPA.

And did I also mention that a change of +/- 1% of your average percentage grade shifts your ranking by about +/- 20-50 places in the class?

And let's not even get into a discussion of how many schools do not show class average grades on the transcript but rather just show an absolute grade (i.e. what good is your 4.0 if everybody in the class gets 4.0?).

Olm
02-20-2008, 04:51 PM
But my initial point still stands: grade standards vary by school. The difference between 80% and 84% may be nil. This is just like including 4 decimal points in your results for GDP growth on a time series regression: it's pointless because it is just an estimate, just as a grade is an estimate of your absolute performance in a course.

Percentage conversion scales are just guidelines, and very rough guidelines at that. In some schools and in some countries, a 69% could be an excellent grade, the equivalent of an A+. You don't convert that grade to a C+ (2.3 grade point).

The adcomms know what they are doing, stop worrying. ;)

rcwlhk
02-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Hey Olm (http://www.urch.com/forums/../members/olm.html),

Yah I totally agree with you that if you come from a known institution, the adcoms will know what they're doing.

I guess it's just all a psychological thing; namely, a "seeming" perfection in 4.0 compared to a percentage system where you're "always" x% away from perfection.

Not to nitpick any more on this topic, but if you think about it --- if you take over 40+ courses over your undergraduate academic career, the difference between a 80% versus 84% average over those 40+ courses is not insignificant. As I'd mentioned, a +/- 1% change in your average is enough to move you about +/- 20-50 places in your ranking. Maybe I should have mentioned that often times, the difference between getting a scholarship here or not depends exactly on those 1 or 2 percentages. But this then, goes back to your saying of grade standards vary by school :)

buckykatt
02-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Now, here's a scenario for you. Say there is a student in the GPA system (which, I believe is the most common in the US) and a student in the percentage system. Say the student under the percentage system scored 85% (A), compared to the GPA student who scored a 4.0. Under the percentage system, it would appear that student is still 15% off from "perfection" whereas the 4.0 GPA student is already "at perfection". This, then, creates an imbalanced perception to the quality of students.

You have to look at the flip side, as well, though. A 4.0 at a typical US school isn't as good a signal as a top score in the system you describe, because there's no way to distinguish the "stars" in the class from the just "really good". (This is similar to the problem with GRE math scores, which are also truncated at the top of the distribution.) So, while the "really good" students are disadvantaged by your system, the "stars" are advantaged because they can clearly signal their level of achievement.

Karina 07
02-20-2008, 11:34 PM
If you have the chance to contact any LSE students, be sure to ask about the grading. We're talking about "US" and "UK" grading here, but it obviously varies tremendously within each country. It also varies between the undergrad and the grad level. Maybe that program gives a wide range of grades, maybe in that program the entire grade span happens to unofficially be like 8% between the highest and lowest mark, and not as a consequence of people working about the same amount (I've seen it happen).

rcwlhk
02-21-2008, 02:23 AM
Hmm.... I actually never thought of it this way, but it makes great sense to me! Thanks for offering a refreshing perspective! :D

You have to look at the flip side, as well, though. A 4.0 at a typical US school isn't as good a signal as a top score in the system you describe, because there's no way to distinguish the "stars" in the class from the just "really good". (This is similar to the problem with GRE math scores, which are also truncated at the top of the distribution.) So, while the "really good" students are disadvantaged by your system, the "stars" are advantaged because they can clearly signal their level of achievement.

filroz
02-22-2008, 05:37 PM
Has anyone got an offer or rejection from LSE this week? The website claims that it should not be available, but i can log in anyway..
I am soooo nervous I am going to apply for accommodation instead of checking the status...
:crazy::crazy::crazy:

Ecocentric
03-01-2008, 10:17 AM
In at NYU for MA Econ.

Anyone else here with the same admit?

EconMsGiggle
03-01-2008, 10:36 AM
In at NYU for MA Econ.

Anyone else here with the same admit?

I'm also in at NYU.

:tup: UIUC, NYU
:sleepy: LSE (ECO, 2yr), Duke, UMich, Cornell, UMN
:doh: Not Yet

Ecocentric
03-01-2008, 10:56 AM
I'm also in at NYU.

hey... congrats!!! :) similar admits so far huh :p

Ecocentric
03-01-2008, 10:58 AM
EconMSGiggle, imo you should be able to get into the LSE 2 yr econ as well.. oh well im not the adcom.. but all the best! :)

asianeconomist
03-02-2008, 04:40 PM
Got an e-mail from Cornell AEM. I am in (MSc).

Equilibrium
03-02-2008, 10:58 PM
congrats!

EconMsGiggle
03-03-2008, 01:11 AM

Congrats!!!

Why are Cornell(AEM) and LSE(ECON) so quiet ...
Please tell me anything...

rcwlhk
03-03-2008, 01:38 AM

Congrats! :grad:

signal08
03-03-2008, 02:23 AM
anyone here apply for Duke MA?

EconMsGiggle
03-03-2008, 02:42 AM

(raise my hand up) Me!!!

However, I have not receive anything...

and they already offered admissions to some applicants...

asianeconomist
03-03-2008, 05:40 AM
Thanks everybody. In fact, from my own experience I can tell that a quick e-mail to the graduate field assistant could be helpful in generating a admission status reply.

On a similar note, someone else hinted me that if the grad assistant writes back saying that "the faculty is still reviewing the files and will make the final decisions available in March/April" then there is a high probability that you have not been admitted. It appears that the grad assistant does not wish to e-mail out unofficial rejections. However, the verity of this proposition remains uncertain.

asianeconomist
03-03-2008, 05:44 AM
Congrats!!!

Why are Cornell(AEM) and LSE(ECON) so quiet ...
Please tell me anything...

Did you apply for the MSc ? AEM is supposedly a great place for development, agricultural economics and labor. Are these your interests too ?

EconMsGiggle
03-03-2008, 06:00 AM
Did you apply for the MSc ? AEM is supposedly a great place for development, agricultural economics and labor. Are these your interests too ?

Yes, I applied for the MSc in Economics (2-year program).

I'm a banker and was selected for the sponsorship program of my company last year. My company will support me financially up to 2 years. Thus, I have to choice only master program in Economics.

Have I an interst in development, agri econ or labor?

Ok... I want to study development field especially.

asianeconomist
03-03-2008, 06:36 AM
Hopefully you shall get your admit pretty soon ! I believe that your apparent lack of need for University funding would play a positive role in admissions (assuming that you have mentioned it).

Ecocentric
03-03-2008, 08:32 AM

Congrats on the admit!! :)

Ecocentric
03-03-2008, 08:33 AM

Yup.. Me too!!

Ecocentric
03-03-2008, 08:34 AM
and they already offered admissions to some applicants...

EconMsGiggle, when did Duke offer the admits?

Ecocentric
03-03-2008, 08:49 AM
Im currently at work and workling up a panic attack (from the news that Duke has given admits).. argh! :crazy:

now playing - 'Primal Concrete Sledge' - Pantera

EconMsGiggle
03-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Im currently at work and workling up a panic attack (from the news that Duke has given admits).. argh! :crazy:

now playing - 'Primal Concrete Sledge' - Pantera

On the website of my country, two applicants posted their admits infomation on Feb 22, 2008 (local time).

I'd like to believe that I still have a chance.

Ecocentric
03-03-2008, 09:30 AM
On the website of my country, two applicants posted their admits infomation on Feb 22, 2008 (local time).

Oh ok.. thanks for the info EconMsGiggle!

I'd like to believe that I still have a chance.

Yea , I am of the same belief. :luck2: :)

asianeconomist
03-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Did anyone here apply to Yale's IDE program ?

gs25
03-03-2008, 07:25 PM
i did, but no answer yet. how about you? i am really interested in this particular program, besides of being yale!

signal08
03-03-2008, 07:59 PM
got into Duke masters!
(check online)

Ecocentric
03-03-2008, 08:09 PM
got into Duke masters!
(check online)

Could you specify which website you checked? Coz I thought Duke notifies admission results through email. Thanks.

Ecocentric
03-03-2008, 08:10 PM
oops forgot... Congrats on the Admit Signal08!!!

EconMsGiggle
03-03-2008, 10:30 PM
Could you specify which website you checked? Coz I thought Duke notifies admission results through email. Thanks.

According some applicants in my country, if final decision is made, a new link about the admission status is made on the online application site that we used for application.

For me, everything is the same as yesterday.

Ecocentric
03-04-2008, 02:35 AM
According some applicants in my country, if final decision is made, a new link about the admission status is made on the online application site that we used for application.

For me, everything is the same as yesterday.

Same here, everythings the same for me too. :(

asianeconomist
03-04-2008, 04:09 AM
i did, but no answer yet. how about you? i am really interested in this particular program, besides of being yale!

Well, I emailed their program secretary and got this back " The Admissions Committee is in the final stages of reviewing applications and expects to have final decisions made during the third or fourth week of March. During that time, you will be sent an e-mail indicating that a decision has been reached on your application, with instructions to log into your application. When
you log in, you will see the Decision Status link which will take you to a letter indicating that you were or were not accepted."

This could be construed as 1) A standard reply or 2) I am rejected but since they do not probably wish to send out unofficial rejections through email, they did not inform me of the status. In fact, someone at autoadmit.com informed me of the latter possibility.

Anyway, it seems that both of us will have to wait this out.

On a related note, if you decide to email the program secretary then kindly let me know about their reply.

ethomso
03-04-2008, 03:53 PM
I got in to Simon Fraser University for a Master's. I just found out online so I have no idea if it's with funding or not, although I think they fund nearly everyone 16K.

It's not my top choice but it's good to know I will have somewhere to go. :)

rcwlhk
03-05-2008, 01:57 AM
Has anybody heard anything from Cambridge Diploma in Econ and/or MPhil? According to thegradcafe.com, decisions were already made around this time last year....

semischolastic
03-05-2008, 02:25 AM
Inside information (as inside as it possibly can get) for all Duke MA applicants... DON'T PANIC. Not all of the admits have been sent out, and applications are still being reviewed. My understanding is that they were swamped with applicants this year.

EconMsGiggle
03-05-2008, 02:46 AM
Inside information (as inside as it possibly can get) for all Duke MA applicants... DON'T PANIC. Not all of the admits have been sent out, and applications are still being reviewed. My understanding is that they were swamped with applicants this year.

Really? It's a good news if true...

:tup: NYU, UIUC
:sleepy: Duke, LSE (econ, 2yr), UMich, Cornell, UMN
:mad: fortunately, not yet... however, I feel that all schools pending now are ready to reject me...

asianeconomist
03-05-2008, 02:56 AM
Has anybody heard anything from Cambridge Diploma in Econ and/or MPhil? According to thegradcafe.com, decisions were already made around this time last year....

Nothing here too ! My status still shows "Applicant". Were the admits and rejects released at the same time ? Or were admits informed first ?

Btw, other than CamSIS, are there any other ways to check your application status ?

Ecocentric
03-05-2008, 04:18 AM

Thanks for the info Semischolastic!.. can breath for a while.. :)
Last year too there were a few entries on the gradcafe around the same time and despite the change in application volumes Gradcafe does have a few Duke MA entries at the moment..:hmm:
Signal08 did get an admit too, Duke must've send admits to their top candidates first i presume..

Ecocentric
03-05-2008, 04:21 AM
I got in to Simon Fraser University for a Master's. I just found out online so I have no idea if it's with funding or not, although I think they fund nearly everyone 16K.

It's not my top choice but it's good to know I will have somewhere to go. :)

Congrats on the admit ethomso!! :)

signal08
03-05-2008, 04:24 AM
Signal08 did get an admit too, Duke must've send admits to their top candidates first i presume..

lol, i'm hardly a top applicant, but thanks anyways! i'm sure the admission process has to do with sheer volume, since in their letter they mentioned a "record number of applicants this year" or something like that. ... i'm also fairly certain that i will turn down the offer, so hopefully that makes some more room for borderline applicants.

Ecocentric
03-05-2008, 06:56 AM
lol, i'm hardly a top applicant, but thanks anyways!

you never know really.. :)

i'm also fairly certain that i will turn down the offer, so hopefully that makes some more room for borderline applicants.

Thanks for the info Signal08!

mysherona
03-05-2008, 07:46 AM
Nothing here too ! My status still shows "Applicant". Were the admits and rejects released at the same time ? Or were admits informed first ?

Btw, other than CamSIS, are there any other ways to check your application status ?

Nothing here, either.

EconMsGiggle
03-05-2008, 11:19 PM
I found my application status for LSE (MSc econ 2yr) was changed... and they said...

"Unfortunately... bla bla.... This decision is final and no further comment can be made."

My second target school is gone now...

OK.... "No word is much better than a rejection"... Suddenly I realize that this statement is really true....

:tup: NYU, UIUC
:sleepy: Cornell (1st target), Duke, UMich, UMN (even if admitted, maybe turn down...)
:crazy: LSE (2nd target)

Ecocentric
03-06-2008, 05:38 AM
I found my application status for LSE (MSc econ 2yr) was changed... and they said...

"Unfortunately... bla bla.... This decision is final and no further comment can be made."

My second target school is gone now...

OK.... "No word is much better than a rejection"... Suddenly I realize that this statement is really true....

Hey sorry to hear that.. but you are going to hear from other good places as well. So sit tight! and all the best!!

EconMsGiggle
03-06-2008, 06:30 AM
Hey sorry to hear that.. but you are going to hear from other good places as well. So sit tight! and all the best!!

Thanks...

Cornell AEM is my most-wanted course... However, I can't be optimistic...

Cornell and LSE are my targets...

If cornell can't accept me, I'll seriously decide where I should go...

asianeconomist
03-06-2008, 06:35 AM
Thanks...

Cornell AEM is my most-wanted course... However, I can't be optimistic...

Cornell and LSE are my targets...

If cornell can't accept me, I'll seriously decide where I should go...

Hopefully you'll get into Cornell ! Did you try contacting the Grad Assistant Linda ?

EconMsGiggle
03-06-2008, 06:52 AM
Hopefully you'll get into Cornell ! Did you try contacting the Grad Assistant Linda ?

No... Thanks for your advice.
I'm going to send an e-mail to her today.

EconMsGiggle
03-06-2008, 11:58 PM
Good News...

I'm in at Cornell AEM.
Grad secretary Linda responded by an e-mail.

Bad News...

Addcom at Duke finally decided that they didn't need me.
I already knew my situation was very dangerous....
Some applicants in my country, all being superior to me, already were accepted by Duke.

Anyway.... I'm going to Ithaca or NYC...

:tup: Cornell, NYU, UIUC
:sleepy: UMich, UMN-TC
:crazy: LSE, Duke

adam_smith
03-07-2008, 12:36 AM
EconMsGiggle--ha ha--w-t-f? how come first in, then out?

Olm
03-07-2008, 01:31 AM
You're in at NYU... why do you care about Cornell AEM again?

asianeconomist
03-07-2008, 01:43 AM
You're in at NYU... why do you care about Cornell AEM again?

Congrats EconMsGiggle. :tup: Have you received funding ?

Olm: Btw, why would you specifically rank NYU above Cornell for the Masters degree ? I have heard that some of the courses at NYU are taught by PhD students and the opportunity to interact with the renowned faculty (Sargent, Baumol......) is a bit restricted for Masters students. In addition, the opportunity to advance to a PhD seems limited. Placement performance-wise, not enough information is posted in both the websites to draw a definitive conclusion.

On the contrary, Cornell has a dedicated faculty for AEM and is a good stepping stone for a PhD (either at AEM or the Econ department). All the courses are taught by core faculty members. There is also a substantial thesis requirement.

This is not in any way intended to attack your opinions. I am just trying to develop a better understanding, that's all. :)

EconMsGiggle
03-07-2008, 01:49 AM
Congrats EconMsGiggle. :tup: Have you received funding ?

Olm: Btw, why would you specifically rank NYU above Cornell for the Masters degree ? I have heard that some of the courses at NYU are taught by PhD students and the opportunity to interact with the renowned faculty (Sargent, Baumol......) is a bit restricted for Masters students. In addition, the opportunity to advance to a PhD seems limited. Placement performance-wise, not enough information is posted in both the websites to draw a definitive conclusion.

On the contrary, Cornell has a dedicated faculty for AEM and is a good stepping stone for a PhD (either at AEM or the Econ department). All the courses are taught by core faculty members. There is also a substantial thesis requirement.

This is not in any way intended to attack your opinions. I am just trying to develop a better understanding, that's all. :)

I don't have further information about funding.

Linda wrote to me as below...

"Dear EconMsGiggle,
Our Admissions Committee did review your application file and have accepted you into our MS program. The official admission letter and packet of materials was mailed on or about February 22, 2008, so you should receive this soon. Congratulations on acceptance into our MS program for Fall 2008!
Linda Morehouse"

In addition, thanks for your opinion on AEM...

OLM : I prefer (a little bit) Cornell AEM rather than NYU MA program because of my private reason.

asianeconomist
03-07-2008, 01:56 AM
Yup, got the same email. But, in my case, I forced them into giving me a reply. :boxing:

Is it your top choice ?

EconMsGiggle
03-07-2008, 02:10 AM
Yup, got the same email. But, in my case, I forced them into giving me a reply. :boxing:

Is it your top choice ?

Cornell? Yes, it's my top choice....
LSE is another top choice but I was rejected...

NYU, DUKE, UIUC are all good universities and in my second group...

UMich is my back-up... (although UMich is one of the top schools, I've heard that MAE course at UMich is absolutely professional-oriented and relatively easy to get admission... of couse my information can be wrong....)

asianeconomist
03-07-2008, 05:28 AM
Cornell? Yes, it's my top choice....
LSE is another top choice but I was rejected...

NYU, DUKE, UIUC are all good universities and in my second group...

UMich is my back-up... (although UMich is one of the top schools, I've heard that MAE course at UMich is absolutely professional-oriented and relatively easy to get admission... of couse my information can be wrong....)

Hopefully the US Embassy will endow me with the vaunted visa and I can go to Cornell too :D.

I've also heard similar things about the MAE too - especially about the non-competitiveness of admissions.

Well, now you do not need any more back-ups cause you're going to Cornell dude ! :tup: :grad: [clap]

Ecocentric
03-07-2008, 06:13 AM
Good News...

I'm in at Cornell AEM.
Grad secretary Linda reponded by an e-mail.

hey congraaaats!! :tup: you got into one of your top choices!

Bad News...

Addcom at Duke finally decided that they didn't need me.
I already knew my situation was very dangerous....
Some applicants in my country, all being superior to me, already were accepted by Duke.

*GULP* :(.. when exactly did they inform you? Through email?

EconMsGiggle
03-07-2008, 07:00 AM
hey congraaaats!! :tup: you got into one of your top choices!

*GULP* :(.. when exactly did they inform you? Through email?

Thanks a lot...

I got an e-mail early morning (local time) announcing that final decision was made. The mail included a link to the application site, applyyourself. On the site, new link, admission result, was made.

After cliking the link, I can see the result as follows...

"Your application and supporting documents have been carefully reviewed by the Economics department and by this office. The number of excellent applicants to the Graduate School and our policy of limited enrollment make it impossible for us to offer admission to more than a small number of the students who apply. I am sorry to report that you are among those whom we are unable to admit. We do hope that you will be able to pursue graduate study at another institution. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to consider your application."

Ecocentric
03-07-2008, 08:22 AM
oh ok.. thanks for the info EconMsGiggle.

I guess its only a matter of time for me now...:(
Actually it always has been..but its just a lesser amount of time now.. ok im being redundant now..

asianeconomist
03-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Did anyone apply to the Agricultural Economics program at UBC ? Has anyone heard back from them ?

Ecocentric
03-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Hey asianeconomist..
Nope I havent applied to that program.
Just wanted to know..which all programs did you apply to?

asl49
03-07-2008, 02:10 PM
This might me a tricky and debatable question, but what would you guys say is the best MSc Econ program (in the world)? Thanks!

asianeconomist
03-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Other than the one's mentioned or discussed: Rutgers DAFRE, MSU AE, Yale IDE, Tilburg MPhil, Cambridge Diploma, Sussex Econ, OSU AEDE, Toronto Econ MA, York Econ MA, Carleton Econ MA, LSE Econ Development MSc, Queens MSc Man Econ and that's just about it.....:>

I probably spent one semester's tuition fees on application alone :>)

MzSunshine
03-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Asianeconomist, you quote Sussex on the list. What about Essex? Where would you rank them for the MSc? What about the University of London schools - Queen Mary, Birkbeck, Royal Holloway? How would those rank? Anybody have information on those MSc programs?

Other than the one's mentioned or discussed: Rutgers DAFRE, MSU AE, Yale IDE, Tilburg MPhil, Cambridge Diploma, Sussex Econ, OSU AEDE, Toronto Econ MA, York Econ MA, Carleton Econ MA, LSE Econ Development MSc, Queens MSc Man Econ and that's just about it.....:>

I probably spent one semester's tuition fees on application alone :>)

filroz
03-07-2008, 05:05 PM
Essex is similar to Warwick, very good but not that prestigious as LSE or oxbridge. Bierbeck seems to be fine, but maybe they have only evening classes. I have this suspicion when I wanted to apply there, but I changed my mind so I did not find it out eventually.

asianeconomist
03-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Essex, although lacking brand name, is an excellent place for research. I believe that they are specifically string in econometrics. I cannot comment on their placements though.

Queen Mary, Royal Holloway are tier 2 or 3 schools. You should think long and hard about whether you should keep them even as your safeties.

Birkbeck is associated with University of London, but essentially lacks the name recognition of the former. SOAS is a better option.

I probably should clarify that I applied to Sussex for their IDS programs, not the conventional Econ course.

MzSunshine
03-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks, filroz! I am trying to make a "Plan B" - MSc programs with no application deadlines - in case I don't end up getting any funding from the US PhD programs...

If anyone else can comment on London schools other than LSE and UCL, that'd be great :)

asianeconomist
03-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Thanks, filroz! I am trying to make a "Plan B" - MSc programs with no application deadlines - in case I don't end up getting any funding from the US PhD programs...

If anyone else can comment on London schools other than LSE and UCL, that'd be great :)

Then you must consider the European schools. Tilburg, Erasmus Rotterdam, TSE..............all of them strictly dominate their UK counterparts (excepting the tier 1 programs).

MzSunshine
03-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks, asianeconomist! Do you know if any of those deadlines are still ahead? I am not even thinking of the MSc as a PhD prep anymore (I'm too old, and I've been through the application process twice now), just as a terminal degree, and then start working - not sure if that would change your recommendation.

Then you must consider the European schools. Tilburg, Erasmus Rotterdam, TSE..............all of them strictly dominate their UK counterparts (excepting the tier 1 programs).

asianeconomist
03-07-2008, 05:21 PM
I am sure about the Tilburg, Erasmus & TSE. But you should not wait a single day longer.

Btw, except TSE, the dutch schools along with Amsterdam Univ. and Free Univ. Amsterdam do provide terminal Masters degrees.

fp3690
03-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Essex is solid, but still a step below Warwick.

filroz
03-07-2008, 07:31 PM
I know one guy who did msc at Queen Mary, and now is doing phd at Tanaka Business School (imperial?). Queen Mary seems to be fine school for (financial) econometrics.

decide_aposteriori
03-07-2008, 08:00 PM
I studied abroad at Sussex, and applied and was accepted for a MSc in development econ there. I would say development and trade are strong at Sussex, they have Alan Winters and Sherman Robinson. The people in IDS are passionate about what they do and I think it is a top notch development programme. In addition, I found the professors to be very approachable and helpful with any questions. And Sussex is in the sunniest part of England, there's loads of walking/running trails around campus, and Brighton is just awesome.

Connemara Pony
03-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Nothing here, either.

Nothing here from Cambridge either. When did all you guys apply? I applied for MPhil Option A in mid January.

asianeconomist
03-08-2008, 02:12 AM
Nothing here from Cambridge either. When did all you guys apply? I applied for MPhil Option A in mid January.

Tell me about it ! I applied at roughly the same time ! And Cambridge being Cambridge, wouldn't even reply to any status entreaties.

EconMsGiggle
03-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Is there anybody else who applied for Ms in applied economics at the University of Minnesta twin cities?

I sent an email to Dr. Hurley, the Director of Ms program, and he answered.
According to him, the final admission is released on March 7.

And MAE at the University of Michigan.... they are still reviewing a lot of files.....

_ _ _ _ SIG _ _ _ _

who hugs me : Cornell, NYU, UMN, UIUC
who is working : UMich
who kicks me : LSE, Duke

Ecocentric
03-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Is there anybody else who applied for Ms in applied economics at the University of Minnesta twin cities?

I sent an email to Dr. Hurley, the Director of Ms program, and he answered.
According him, the final admission is released on March 7.

Hey EconMsGiggle.. do I assume from your signature that you got into UMN?..

And MAE at the University of Michigan.... they are still reviewing a lot of files.....

Thanks for the info.

I have yet to hear from Duke! :hmm::(

EconMsGiggle
03-10-2008, 11:47 PM
Hey EconMsGiggle.. do I assume from your signature that you got into UMN?..

Thanks for the info.

I have yet to hear from Duke! :hmm::(

Yes, they offered me an admission, but without funding....
Since I'll be supported by external sponsorship, it is relatively easy for me to be admitted.

I wish Duke sweetly whisper in your ears....

asianeconomist
03-13-2008, 04:48 PM
Just got the boot from UBC AE. Anyway, it had to come from somewhere !

EconMsGiggle
03-14-2008, 01:33 AM
Just got the boot from UBC AE. Anyway, it had to come from somewhere !

sorry to hear that....

I wish you the best of luck....

undercoverecon
03-18-2008, 07:04 PM
I've made it to the LSE MSc Economics (2 year). My other offers are from Warwick Econ and Sussex (Econ, International Econ and Development Econ). But out of those I prefer LSE of course. I also have an offer from Tufts with almost entire funding. Haven't heard back from Yale IDE or BU M.A. Econ. I also applied to USC M.A. Econ but I dont know how good that is. Haven't heard back from the Cambridge Diploma either. What would all of you suggest would be a good place to do my masters degree from. I plan to complete it and apply to the top tier US PhD schools for a pure econ PhD.

Nebuchadrezzar
03-18-2008, 07:17 PM
did anyone hear anything from oxford?

filroz
03-18-2008, 09:46 PM
did anyone hear anything from oxford?
not me

Connemara Pony
03-18-2008, 11:12 PM
I don't know of anyone who's heard anything from Oxford (I didn't apply myself though)

I got a Faculty acceptance email from Cambridge last Wednesday :)

undercoverecon
03-19-2008, 06:42 AM
hey.. did you apply for the MPhil or the Diploma? Also, when did you send your application?

undercoverecon
03-19-2008, 06:45 AM
Has anyone heard from BU, Yale IDE or UCL?

decide_aposteriori
03-19-2008, 08:22 AM
I was accepted to UCL MSc Econ on Feb 19th.

Connemara Pony
03-19-2008, 04:10 PM
hey.. did you apply for the MPhil or the Diploma? Also, when did you send your application?

I applied for the MPhil Option A, my documents reached them on the 18th of January, except for the GRE (I did the test on Feb 14th and recieved my results at home last Tuesday) They must have looked through my application without the GRE scores as I got the response very quickly after they got my scores.

Also, I haven't heard from UCL yet. Having said that I'm at home all this week and I'm almost sure it'll be sent to my college address.

Chopov
03-19-2008, 04:24 PM
I was accepted to UCL MSc Econ on Feb 19th.

did you receive an e-mail or was a letter by regular mail? thanks in advance...

decide_aposteriori
03-19-2008, 08:44 PM
did you receive an e-mail or was a letter by regular mail? thanks in advance...

I received an email inviting me to visit for an open day, which also said I was accepted. Then about 3 weeks later I received a letter (which was dated a week after the email), I'm in the states.

ichihina
03-19-2008, 09:37 PM
Had anyone applied for M.A. Math Stat at UMD? I don't see much people applying for Master in Stat on this board.... Does any of you know where I can find more about it (Master in Stat ranking, admission, comparison with other programs and so on)?

adam_smith
03-19-2008, 11:09 PM
I am also in at NYU for MA in Eco. And I am wondering between this, Carlos III Master in Business and Quantitative Methods, and UPF's MS in Finance...anyone else with similar concerns?

molejo
03-19-2008, 11:10 PM
i am getting really mad at oxford... they are as fast as a play of shakespeare.

molejo
03-20-2008, 12:38 AM
damn, i was rejected at uwo... i think this means i will also be rejected at ubc and queens... oh, life.

rocketman656
03-20-2008, 05:38 PM
First off congrats to everyone who made it in and good luck to those waiting to hear back. For all you NYU people, I am wondering how long it took them to come to a decision after you submitted your application. I submitted pretty late (Feb 12) and am still waiting to hear back.

NYU is my top choice but I'm worried that the rolling admissions will end up hurting me. I've also got applications in at George Mason U, GW, American U, and Fordham's MA programs. Just trying to find out how much more waiting and agonizing there will be...

rcwlhk
03-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Just got accepted to the Cambridge Diploma Economics program (which, is naturally a stepping stone to the MPhil Economics).

But I'm much much much more inclined to go with LSE (got an offer and accepted), despite the fact that the overall brand name of Cambridge is much stronger....

And also, the fact that one of my LOR profs said that the program of LSE fits my interest and academic development much better than that of Cambridge...

Just FYI for you all :tup:

PS. Still waiting on Oxford MPhil. Unlikely to get it though, as my applicaiton was incomplete (but later made complete) by the January deadline.

filroz
03-20-2008, 08:49 PM
congratulations!

rcwlhk
03-20-2008, 08:53 PM
congratulations!

Thx :D

I should add that both of my offers from LSE and Cambridge are (understandably and naturally) conditional.

Interestingly, though, LSE's prerequisite courework requirements are MUCH tougher than that of Cambridge. However, the conditional acceptance undergrad GPA requirement from Cambridge is so much higher than that of LSE (by one letter grade and more)

Shouldn't it make more sense to have stricter / higher prerequisite coursework than just a higher GPA? I mean, one can boost GPA with various means (i.e. random filler / GPA booster courses...).

fp3690
03-20-2008, 08:59 PM
But I'm much much much more inclined to go with LSE (got an offer and accepted), despite the fact that the overall brand name of Cambridge is much stronger....

That's way wrong. Sure, Cambridge has got better physics (mainly because LSE doesn't have physics), but what do you care for the "overall" brand name? For example, Harvard is a much better brand name that Hopkins, but Hopkins is better than Harvard in medicine.

When it comes to masters, some people say that the Oxford MPhil is better that the MSc LSE, which could be true, but Cambridge is nothing like it used to be.

rcwlhk
03-20-2008, 09:07 PM
That's way wrong. Sure, Cambridge has got better physics (mainly because LSE doesn't have physics), but what do you care for the "overall" brand name? For example, Harvard is a much better brand name that Hopkins, but Hopkins is better than Harvard in medicine.

When it comes to masters, some people say that the Oxford MPhil is better that the MSc LSE, which could be true, but Cambridge is nothing like it used to be.

Oh I guess I missed a part on my decision making thoughts.

In the ideal world, suppose that I do get offers from all of LSE, Cambridge and Oxford (those were the only ones that I applied to; all 2-yr programs), I'll still go to LSE regardless. It's not really because I don't recognize the brand name factor of Cambridge or Oxford, but it's really because I know I'll get the training and education that I want from LSE.

But you're right.... one should never decide on an offer just based on the university-wide brand name (I think my previous post does seem to imply this). In fact, my LSE offer came much earlier than this Cambridge one today; I basically accepted LSE on the spot before even waiting on Oxford and Cambridge.

:grad:

Connemara Pony
03-21-2008, 11:22 AM
I've just heard of someone that's got an offer from oxford, but as far as I'm aware most people haven't heard from them yet.

Nebuchadrezzar
03-21-2008, 11:51 AM
I've just heard of someone that's got an offer from oxford, but as far as I'm aware most people haven't heard from them yet.

i think since the decisions are notified through postal service, the timing of the message depends on the proximity to the UK. is your friend who is admitted in the UK?

Connemara Pony
03-21-2008, 11:55 AM
It's not a friend of mine, but someone who uses an english forum like this one. The guy does live in the UK, but there are UK people who haven't heard also from what I've heard.

I wish oxford would hurry up. So many people are fretting about it:p

LJF
03-21-2008, 02:36 PM
I just got the letter from Oxford today. Finally I'm in MPhil economics! :)

It only states that my application has been successful and they would like to offer me a place. However, the college hasn't been confirmed yet. I should receive another offer letter from a college. (They guarantee to find the college)

Once the college decision has been made, the final offer letter will be sent together with the form which I have to fill in and return it back to the university.

Also got accepted from LSE (MSc Econ 1Y) and Duke (MA Econ).. but Oxford is definitely my choice :)

PS This's via postal service, and I'm living far far away from the UK..

Connemara Pony
03-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Congrats!!!!

undercoverecon
03-21-2008, 06:52 PM
Congratulations on the Cambridge offer. When did you submit your Cambridge application? I also got accepted into the MSc at LSE but am waiting to hear from the Cambridge diploma. How long did they take to get back to you?

undercoverecon
03-21-2008, 08:16 PM
LJF, congrats on the oxford offer. whats your profile like as i noticed that you also made it to the 1 yr msc at lse.

LJF
03-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Thanks Undercoverecon :)

I finished bachelor from the university in my home country (south east asia). - GPA 3.70 (abt 5th rank).
- GRE quantitative 800 and AWA 5.0 , my verbal is veryyy poor though (330).
- 2 Yrs work experience (1yr at the British investment bank in London and another yr at the local economic research institution.
- 2 LORs - One from UC Berkeley and One from UMich

I realised that my profile is not that outstanding, so I was trying to be very well-prepared in all those SOPs, personal statements, and written samples.

Gd luck for all!

Accepted: Oxford (Mphil), LSE (Msc) , Duke (MA)
Rejected: Cornell (PhD)
Waiting: Cambridge (MPhil), NYU (MA), UMich (MAE)

rcwlhk
03-21-2008, 11:46 PM
Congratulations on the Cambridge offer. When did you submit your Cambridge application? I also got accepted into the MSc at LSE but am waiting to hear from the Cambridge diploma. How long did they take to get back to you?

I submitted my LSE and Cambridge applications pretty much at the same time, which was back in early January. LSE got back to me in about a month and Cambridge sent me the email yesterday...

EconMsGiggle
03-24-2008, 01:08 AM
Is anybody out there to hear any information from the University of Michigan (MAE program) ?

Only university that is still reviewing my files...

rcwlhk
03-24-2008, 01:23 AM
Would you mind elaborating on why you're planning to go with the Oxford 2-yr MPhil Economics program, rather than the 1-yr LSE MSc Econ, or other programs for that matter?

It seems to me that you had plans to do a 1-yr Master only (just observing the other choices that you've made) and yet you still decide on the 2-yr program with Oxford?

Would you mind sharing your thought and decision process? It would be a great tidbit of information for the TM community!

Thx

I just got the letter from Oxford today. Finally I'm in MPhil economics! :)

It only states that my application has been successful and they would like to offer me a place. However, the college hasn't been confirmed yet. I should receive another offer letter from a college. (They guarantee to find the college)

Once the college decision has been made, the final offer letter will be sent together with the form which I have to fill in and return it back to the university.

Also got accepted from LSE (MSc Econ 1Y) and Duke (MA Econ).. but Oxford is definitely my choice :)

PS This's via postal service, and I'm living far far away from the UK..

filroz
03-31-2008, 12:33 PM
My LSE admission webpage says "A decision has been made on this choice and is being processed."
Tough choice ahead...

_MD_
03-31-2008, 03:47 PM
Carlos III sent out MA/PHD admit decisions as well.

Antonio
03-31-2008, 03:52 PM
I am in at Toulouse M2 (Econometrics and Economic Theory).

econ_confused
03-31-2008, 04:01 PM
In at Boston University...Masters in Economics

Chopov
03-31-2008, 09:58 PM
My LSE admission webpage says "A decision has been made on this choice and is being processed."
Tough choice ahead...

Filroz, did you receive an e-mail or just checked the webpage randomly?

filroz
03-31-2008, 10:08 PM
webpage

EconMsGiggle
03-31-2008, 11:24 PM
Tough choice ahead...

filroz... Congrat... and make a "Good" choice!!!

filroz
04-01-2008, 12:18 AM
Filroz, did you receive an e-mail or just checked the webpage randomly?
actually, it was not random at all, I am checking it continuosly :)

tennisboy85
04-01-2008, 02:44 AM
Actually Harvard is the Number 1 medical school in the US and JHU is only number 2. So that was a pretty bad example.

philipe
04-01-2008, 05:19 PM
in at UBC!!! :D

what should I do?!?! ahhhhhhh!!!

pevdoki1
04-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Did you get a funded offer, philipe? Congrats!

undercoverecon
04-02-2008, 07:32 AM
In at BU M.A. Econ.. whats a better choice as a preparation for a phd.. LSE MSc Econ or BU MA Econ?

blues88
04-02-2008, 08:20 AM
i would say LSE Msc...

econofrosh!
04-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Hi everyone! First of all, congrats on your admits!

I'd like to ask though how you guys will be funding your education and lifestyle through your MAs/MScs or MPhils. I find that rarely are there schools that fund students taking their Masters (Tilburg, UBC).

And secondly, will you proceed immediately to applying for PhD or will you be working (and maybe getting married or what not) in the interim?

undercoverecon
04-02-2008, 06:08 PM
I would like to apply to the top 10 US schools for PhD... is a LSE a better bet than BU or does it make a difference that BU is an american schools so other US schools would know its system?

gs25
04-02-2008, 06:34 PM
I'd go to LSE instead of BU if you want to try a US PhD. LSE's program sounds more solid, more difficult to get into. BU program probably is good, but they offer admissions twice a year, there is no thesis requirement, only 8 months of coursework, etc. Their GRE requirement is 80% in BU's website and 760Q on LSE's (I suppose that they are the same). I do not know about their placement in PhD programs, but I suppose that LSE's better (even considering the possibility of going to LSE's PhD program if you want to and study to get a distinction) and there are some places in Europe or in Canada that should also be better (Queen's, UBC, UPF, ...) - you can check their website to see the placements.

That's my personal opinion, I am also a Master's applicant and I didn't apply to BU (I am still waiting LSE's response).

philipe
04-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Did you get a funded offer, philipe? Congrats!

i was hoping it was a funded offer, but i just received en e-mail from ubc telling me all i can get is a partial tuition fee... that's not good... :rolleyes:

now i don`t know if i should accept ubc offer or tinbergen`s funded one... any suggestion?

decide_aposteriori
04-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Just got accepted to UBC! No scholarship but am eligible for the partial tuition assistance. I'm excited, and I'm going to visit on Monday. If anyone is there the 7th let me know.

pevdoki1
04-02-2008, 09:38 PM
i was hoping it was a funded offer, but i just received en e-mail from ubc telling me all i can get is a partial tuition fee... that's not good... :rolleyes:

now i don`t know if i should accept ubc offer or tinbergen`s funded one... any suggestion?

I would go for Tinbergen.. Funding for me is very important + I don't think the education quality you'll get at Tinbergen is any smaller than UBC?

veroniquaz
04-02-2008, 10:12 PM
I would go for Tinbergen.. Funding for me is very important + I don't think the education quality you'll get at Tinbergen is any smaller than UBC?

Not sure what is the OPīs final goal and how relevant it is for him but the important difference is that the Tinbergen MPhil is not really meant as preparation for PhD somewhere else. They expect you to stay and from what I heard are not very supportive (you will need references) when you want to leave for a different program. Another thing is that the courses are extremely hard and it is not easy to have good grades.

blues88
04-02-2008, 10:12 PM
i got offer MSc(Research) LSE. no funding or tuition waiver. i could manage cca 20K per year, but not more. what do you guys suggest? funded UPF, nonfunded MSc(Research)LSE, partially funded Tinbergen, no funding at Toulouse.

what would you say?

pevdoki1
04-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Not sure what is the OPīs final goal and how relevant it is for him but the important difference is that the Tinbergen MPhil is not really meant as preparation for PhD somewhere else. They expect you to stay and from what I heard are not very supportive (you will need references) when you want to leave for a different program. Another thing is that the courses are extremely hard and it is not easy to have good grades.

Ah, maybe that changes things a little bit.

ethomso
04-03-2008, 03:29 PM
I was rejected from UBC :( But I just got an offer from Toronto's regular stream, the only problem is that it doesn't have any funding and I have a full TAship at SFU.

I still have yet to hear from Queen's. :/

YoungEconomist
04-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Does anybody know how competitive it is to get into Duke's masters program?

octavio
04-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Does anybody know how competitive it is to get into Duke's masters program?

From their website:

How many students are admitted to the program?
We plan on an enrollment of 25-30 incoming students each fall and up to 5 each spring, and anticipate that about 50% of those admitted will accept our offer of admission. Given a pool of 150 to 200 applicants, so about 1 in every 3 applicants can expect to be admitted.

If you imagine the quality of their average applicant compared to that of students applying to top PhD programs, I think it is safe to say that admission is not extremely competitive. The fun part comes after admission when you get to cut them a check for $35,000 :yuck:

asianeconomist
04-04-2008, 04:22 AM
From their website:

How many students are admitted to the program?
The fun part comes after admission when you get to cut them a check for $35,000 :yuck:

LOL :D :tup:

EconMsGiggle
04-04-2008, 04:49 AM
LOL :D :tup:

asianeconomist... do you make a final decision? Where will you go?

:tup: Cornell AEM, UMN applied Econ, NYU, UIUC
:sleepy: UMich
:mad: LSE (MSc Econ 2yr), Duke

asianeconomist
04-04-2008, 05:58 AM
Nope. I as still waiting on a few places (Yale, Cambridge, OSU.....). Let's see how they go. Where are you planning to go - NYU vs Cornell, I guess !

Chopov
04-05-2008, 11:33 AM
For those admitted to UCL Msc in Economics, when did you apply and how much time did you wait for an answer?

And for Toulouse?

Thanks...

Nebuchadrezzar
04-05-2008, 11:40 AM
for ucl: 3 months, for toulouse 20-25 days. however, i applied to ucl very early, this may be the reason for the long waiting period.

Chopov
04-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Thanks...have you decided where to go?

Nebuchadrezzar
04-05-2008, 12:42 PM
not yet.

CandleInDark
04-09-2008, 07:42 PM
I applied to four US masters programs in economics. The result is the following:

Accepted by: Tufts U, U Michigan
Rejected by: Miami U of Ohio, Iowa State U.

Does anyone have any advise on choosing which of the schools that have accepted me for my study? I want to pursue PhD in economics, but I also would like to have the option of becoming a business economist available.

CandleInDark
04-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Is anybody out there to hear any information from the University of Michigan (MAE program) ?

Only university that is still reviewing my files...

Admission decisions have been made. You will receive the letter of admission decision soon, or email the program coordinator if you are in a hurry.

fp3690
04-09-2008, 07:59 PM
No brainer, go to Michigan. I think you can even take a couple of PhD courses, so it's a pretty good deal if you do well in them. Tufts doesn't even have a PhD.

EconMsGiggle
04-10-2008, 12:13 AM
Admission decisions have been made. You will receive the letter of admission decision soon, or email the program coordinator if you are in a hurry.

Thanks for your information...

Mike21
04-10-2008, 12:51 AM
I'm still waiting. I only applied to NYU for a MA in Econ. I applied in Columbia for a different program. I sent my application on the absolute last day. Well, I did it the day before but the teachers did not send their letters of recommendation until the last day. Do they evaluate your application when you send it in or when all the professors send in their letters? This question applies to Columbia, because I applied to it a month before the deadline and the professors did not send their recs in until the last minute.

Also, I really want to get into the MA program in Econ at NYU. But my application was in, as well as all transcripts and everything on March 1. I still have not herd from them. I called them 2 weeks ago and they said a decision will be made in 2 weeks. But I also know that they have been sending out decisions lately, so I don't know how many spots are left. Does anyone know how many people they admit into the program and what the chances are?

There are a lot of strong canidates out there. I do work hard, but studying is a nightmare for me with my learning disability, but I do try my best.

Community College GPA: 3.2

Transferred to UC Irvine. Took first class: Linear Albebra. Got an F. Then I got tested for a learning disability, and disconvered I had one. I started doing very well in my classes. But later, I got a C- in Intermediate Microeconomics because the professor did not give me proper accomidations. I retook it 2 quarters later and got an A+. In Intermediate Macroeconomics, I got a B-. In the beginner Intermediate Microeconomics course, I got a B+. I did well in my statistics courses, getting A's in all of them. Also, I did very well in my Economic elective courses.

Overall UC Irvine GPA: 3.7 Major GPA: 3.72

Low Grades:
Linear Algerbra: F. Got B+ after 2nd attempt
Intermediate Economics: C-, retook for A+

Then I took the GRE, which was also a mixed bag:
Math: 800 Verbal: 460 Writing: 5.0

Also, I disclosed my learning disability on my personal statement. Not sure if that is a good idea or not. But if I do get into the MA program at Econ, it would probably be because of my math GRE schore.

There are a lot of strong applicants out there. But I do have several weaknesses. Do I at least have a shot in getting in? Thank you.

asianeconomist
04-10-2008, 03:52 AM
I'm still waiting. I only applied to NYU for a MA in Econ. I applied in Columbia for a different program. I sent my application on the absolute last day. Well, I did it the day before but the teachers did not send their letters of recommendation until the last day. Do they evaluate your application when you send it in or when all the professors send in their letters? This question applies to Columbia, because I applied to it a month before the deadline and the professors did not send their recs in until the last minute.

Also, I really want to get into the MA program in Econ at NYU. But my application was in, as well as all transcripts and everything on March 1. I still have not herd from them. I called them 2 weeks ago and they said a decision will be made in 2 weeks. But I also know that they have been sending out decisions lately, so I don't know how many spots are left. Does anyone know how many people they admit into the program and what the chances are?

There are a lot of strong canidates out there. I do work hard, but studying is a nightmare for me with my learning disability, but I do try my best.

Community College GPA: 3.2

Transferred to UC Irvine. Took first class: Linear Albebra. Got an F. Then I got tested for a learning disability, and disconvered I had one. I started doing very well in my classes. But later, I got a C- in Intermediate Microeconomics because the professor did not give me proper accomidations. I retook it 2 quarters later and got an A+. In Intermediate Macroeconomics, I got a B-. In the beginner Intermediate Microeconomics course, I got a B+. I did well in my statistics courses, getting A's in all of them. Also, I did very well in my Economic elective courses.

Overall UC Irvine GPA: 3.7 Major GPA: 3.72

Low Grades:
Linear Algerbra: F. Got B+ after 2nd attempt
Intermediate Economics: C-, retook for A+

Then I took the GRE, which was also a mixed bag:
Math: 800 Verbal: 460 Writing: 5.0

Also, I disclosed my learning disability on my personal statement. Not sure if that is a good idea or not. But if I do get into the MA program at Econ, it would probably be because of my math GRE schore.

There are a lot of strong applicants out there. But I do have several weaknesses. Do I at least have a shot in getting in? Thank you.

Hey, hang in there ! Your QGRE is good enough for any school. Your grades are not great but neither should they keep you out from (most) MA Econ programs. I do not think that the late application matters a lot. I sent my applications even 1.5 months after the deadline and was still considered for admission.

Antonio
04-10-2008, 05:17 PM
In at PSE (M1...but I applied for M2.....).
I do not care at all.
However, I cannot realize I have been admitted at M2 in Toulouse, Phd at Northwestern and Berkeley and only M1 at PSE.

Mike21
04-13-2008, 04:40 PM
It looks like a lot of people have herd from their schools, so this forum became a bit less active. I'm still waiting on NYU. I called last Wednesday, 2 weeks after they last said they would make a decision (which would be in 2 weeks) and they told me one more week. So at least we are making a bit of progress. Is anyone going to the NYU MA program?

asianeconomist
04-13-2008, 05:22 PM
I think that only 1-2 TM members have received news. Did you check Gradcafe postings ?

Mike21
04-14-2008, 05:37 AM
I looked a little bit back on Gradcafe, and it seemed like there was a wave of acceptances around April 16th to the 20th last year for the MA in Econ program at NYU. If they follow the weeks the same, we can begin seeing a wave of acceptances starting on April 14. So I'm hoping. Let's see what happens. For anyone who applied to NYU, please post your application status.

Good luck to everyone! :)

adam_smith
04-14-2008, 01:15 PM
Hi Mike21,
I am going to NYU MA in Econ. Only I can't be very helpful on their date of announcements as I applied through Fulbright. They told me I was accepted in the middle of March.

Canuckonomist
04-14-2008, 06:10 PM
After just bombing (along with the whole class,) my Real Analysis final, I am going to relish in the fact that on the 11th, I turned down my LSE MSc F&E and not less than an hour afterward, someone posted on the gradcafe that they were accepted. I'm going to imagine that was my offer being passed on. Because it makes me feel good. No other logic has been applied.

Oh well. and Analysis? I hate you, sometimes, you know.

decide_aposteriori
04-14-2008, 08:53 PM
After just bombing (along with the whole class,) my Real Analysis final, I am going to relish in the fact that on the 11th, I turned down my LSE MSc F&E and not less than an hour afterward, someone posted on the gradcafe that they were accepted. I'm going to imagine that was my offer being passed on. Because it makes me feel good. No other logic has been applied.

Oh well. and Analysis? I hate you, sometimes, you know.

Yea, I'm surprised so many people on this forum got an A in real analysis. The class is graded extremely hard at my undergrad. I think half of my class were people re-taking after getting in F the first time; so there were a couple of As, some Bs, and a ton of Cs not to mention the Ds and Fs that a couple of people received. I believe the math department relishes in the fact that they had a gaussian distribution for that class.

decide_aposteriori
04-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Also, are there any TMers who are going to UBC? I'm about 90% sure I will go there.

Ecocentric
04-15-2008, 04:13 AM
I looked a little bit back on Gradcafe, and it seemed like there was a wave of acceptances around April 16th to the 20th last year for the MA in Econ program at NYU. If they follow the weeks the same, we can begin seeing a wave of acceptances starting on April 14. So I'm hoping. Let's see what happens. For anyone who applied to NYU, please post your application status.

Good luck to everyone! :)

Hey Mike21
I got accepted to NYU's MA Econ on March 1st but I think this was coz I applied really early, around first/second week of January.
Im sure there are other people here who are waiting/admitted to the program..

canecon
04-15-2008, 05:38 AM
Also, are there any TMers who are going to UBC? I'm about 90% sure I will go there.

:D Looks like we made pretty similar decisions - if I recall you were looking at UBC vs UCL, while I was Queen's vs UCL.

I'm sure you'll like it here, though I'm only a little u-grad here so can't really comment much on the MA program. :)

Good luck with finalizing your decision.

Mike21
04-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Sadly, I got rejected from NYU. All that work for nothing. I guess I should not have disclosed my learning disability. I guess they still discriminate based on it.

Ecocentric
04-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Hey Mike21
Sorry to hear that.. honestly, don't blame your learning disability..Hope you have an alternate plan to pursue..

Mike21
04-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Yeah, I applied to a couple other programs. Columbia and USC. I'm not sure if I will get into those, but we'll see. I applied to Columbia's QMSS program. They are supposed to be making final decisions by next week.

Ecocentric
04-16-2008, 05:02 AM
Yeah, I applied to a couple other programs. Columbia and USC. I'm not sure if I will get into those, but we'll see. I applied to Columbia's QMSS program. They are supposed to be making final decisions by next week.

Oh ok..Hope things work out for you.
All the best man!! :luck2:

EconMsGiggle
04-17-2008, 08:09 AM
I have received all decisions from schools I applied.
5 admits and 2 rejects.... good results...

admits : Cornell, UMN, NYU, UMich, UIUC
rejects : LSE, Duke

but I have a big problem now... my company that will support me financially during the course don't want me to study in applied economics.... (yes.. I don't understand my company's policy... but it's a really long story....) anyway... Cornell, my first target school, and UMN are not my options any more....

and I will turn down the offer from NYU owing to my personal situation...

now two shcool remains.... UIUC and UMich...

After completing my master course, I should return to my job.
Thus my goal is not to pursue a ph.D course or to get a job as a economist.

someone know the course of UMich MAE program in detail ?

Frankly to say, UMich was my backup school... but ironically, this school have been pretty much important to my life at now....

asianeconomist
04-17-2008, 03:49 PM
Tough choice. Are you entirely sure about the NYU ? That's the best program among your options.

I guess UMich is ranked better than UIUC but isn't there program also applied economics (MAE) ?

With little to choose, I would advise you to go over the faculty profiles and see whether you find someone whose research you like. You should also pay attention to the usually trivial factors such as accommodations, neighborhoods, entertainments (!) etc.

EconMsGiggle
04-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Tough choice. Are you entirely sure about the NYU ? That's the best program among your options.

I guess UMich is ranked better than UIUC but isn't there program also applied economics (MAE) ?

With little to choose, I would advise you to go over the faculty profiles and see whether you find someone whose research you like. You should also pay attention to the usually trivial factors such as accommodations, neighborhoods, entertainments (!) etc.

Thanks...

Ok... MAE is also a master course in applied economics...

However, applied economics that i said and my company hated is an economics course renamed from agri-econ.

It is really, really true that my primary concern to choose a school now is not educational factor but trivial factors as like weather, evironment and accomodation.

Ecocentric
04-18-2008, 04:10 AM
Are you entirely sure about the NYU ?

EconMsGiggle: I was having the same thought...

finecon
04-20-2008, 12:43 AM
CanuckEcon - Can you tell me how long it took for LSE MSc F&E to get back to you?.. I applied early Feb (11 weeks!) and still haven't heard.. meanwhile trying to decide between MFE Toronto and MA NYU.. Anyone have an opinion?
Thanks

flipecon1
04-20-2008, 04:49 AM
ill definitely take MFE Toronto. I got rejected. lol.

orhanzsanus
04-20-2008, 09:52 AM
CanuckEcon - Can you tell me how long it took for LSE MSc F&E to get back to you?.. I applied early Feb (11 weeks!) and still haven't heard.. meanwhile trying to decide between MFE Toronto and MA NYU.. Anyone have an opinion?
Thanks

I still haven't heard from the LSE fin & econ as well... oh well I got rejected from NYU MA:yuck: and I think I got rejected from Toronto MFE-it says decision made but no official rejection letter yet:p-so I'll probably get rejected from LSE as well...

finecon lemme know if you turn Toronto down (NYU is a better option anyway...)

orhanzsanus
04-20-2008, 09:56 AM
I have received all decisions from schools I applied.
5 admits and 2 rejects.... good results...

admits : Cornell, UMN, NYU, UMich, UIUC
rejects : LSE, Duke

but I have a big problem now... my company that will support me financially during the course don't want me to study in applied economics.... (yes.. I don't understand my company's policy... but it's a really long story....) anyway... Cornell, my first target school, and UMN are not my options any more....

and I will turn down the offer from NYU owing to my personal situation...

now two shcool remains.... UIUC and UMich...

After completing my master course, I should return to my job.
Thus my goal is not to pursue a ph.D course or to get a job as a economist.

someone know the course of UMich MAE program in detail ?

Frankly to say, UMich was my backup school... but ironically, this school have been pretty much important to my life at now....

oh well I thought the UMich MAE was my backup school as well but they rejected me:hmm:

I got admitted to UIUC MS in Finance but I'm thinking of attending Warwick instead.

finecon
04-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the replies
orhanzsanus - do you really think NYU is the better option?.. I don't know much about the job placements for its graduates, and am thinking it would be difficult to compete with Stern students - especially as the States tumbles into recession.. Though I'd rather be in NY than Toronto if I can find a decent job there after grad (i-banking, not business economist..)

Canuckonomist
04-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Finecon,

I appiled to LSE in the first week of december, and got the offer on January 28th. I assume now, despite the fact they're on "Rolling admissions" that they're full, but as people turn down their offers, they're spitting more out.

Freud
04-20-2008, 05:42 PM
Hi everyone

I applied to the uofT MA Doctoral stream. I have not heard back from them yet. I e-mailed them several times, but to no avail. From what I have seen here and at gradcafe, this program has already made several offers but has not given out any rejections so far. I don't understand why they are doing this to us. Clearly, this puts them at an advantage but what about the applicants ... I would appreciate if someone could shed some light on this issue.

ethomso
04-20-2008, 06:22 PM
Hi everyone

I applied to the uofT MA Doctoral stream. I have not heard back from them yet. I e-mailed them several times, but to no avail. From what I have seen here and at gradcafe, this program has already made several offers but has not given out any rejections so far. I don't understand why they are doing this to us. Clearly, this puts them at an advantage but what about the applicants ... I would appreciate if someone could shed some light on this issue.

I would imagine the reason is that they are keeping all applications on hand until every space is filled. As people turn down admittances, they send out others. My letter said that they had over 400 applications for 45 spots. I would suppose that they have sent out some rejection letters to people who are on the end of the list. So you are likely still in the running, which is why you haven't heard yet.

orhanzsanus
04-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the replies
orhanzsanus - do you really think NYU is the better option?.. I don't know much about the job placements for its graduates, and am thinking it would be difficult to compete with Stern students - especially as the States tumbles into recession.. Though I'd rather be in NY than Toronto if I can find a decent job there after grad (i-banking, not business economist..)

NY is a global financial hub, so no matter how bad things go you're more likely to find work there... end of the day, toronto is the smaller pond (I think, for the least)
UofT is a really good school too, but I think that the NYU brand name would mean faster track to employement... I don't really know what to say as both have rejected me...:whistle:

buckykatt
04-20-2008, 09:06 PM
So you are likely still in the running, which is why you haven't heard yet.

I concur that this is a reasonable assumption.

I applied to one econ MA program this year and my app was stuck at the "considering you for funding" stage until last week when, I assume, the April 15th deadline for Ph.D. students probably freed up some $.

On the other hand, I heard back relatively quickly from a statistics program that decided to admit me without funding, and my application to a math program is still pending (though I know I won't get funding).

Just a gut feeling, but I'm starting to think funding for master's programs is very much at the margin and that applying last year before the economy took a nose-dive would have been better... (Not that I'm complaining. I've got what I wanted for the next year. Just worried about PhD program apps this fall...)

Freud
04-20-2008, 10:49 PM
So you are likely still in the running, which is why you haven't heard yet.

Thanks for the optimism guys. Hope you are right. :tup:

asianeconomist
04-21-2008, 03:34 AM
Hi everyone

Same here, same here. Not that it matters anymore but it's such a pain to wait for decisions.

gs25
04-25-2008, 02:38 AM
Same here! They could at least send a "you're waitlisted" message (if we are)...

academicus
04-25-2008, 09:13 PM
Hi everyone

Consider yourself as waitlisted. from what you said, it seems like they are only making offers to those applicants they are sure of right now and plus don't want to lose the others. it is not the best for you I guess, but your only chance is to keep waiting. actually, you may even accept another offer eventually which would put them on the loser side. such a policy has its own consequences. hope you guys hear from them soon anyways.

gs25
04-28-2008, 04:35 PM
From UofT's Econ Department website:

"Applicants should anticipate receiving information on admission decisions in mid-to-late May 2008."

(it used to be in late-march, then in april, ...)

asianeconomist
04-28-2008, 04:40 PM
From UofT's Econ Department website:

"Applicants should anticipate receiving information on admission decisions in mid-to-late May 2008."

(it used to be in late-march, then in april, ...)

Did they actually edit the deadline recently (i.e. within the last few weeks) ?