PDA

View Full Version : Yale Starting to Review Files

Hypercube
02-06-2008, 04:39 AM
The secretary from Yale sent me an email stating that a few of the "readers" are asking for my GRE scores (I forgot to send them my GRE scores). Apparently, they're starting to review the files.

Frankly, I'm quite surprised that they did not automatically reject my application since I have not sent my GRE scores. I guess they're quite lenient with incomplete applications. :D

polkaparty
02-06-2008, 04:55 AM
Yeah, nice job on not getting trashed simply because of an incomplete file!

According to last years data, we should expect Yale to be the first of the top 5 schools to notify: Feb. 22!

The downside (and upside) with Yale is that they seem to notify everyone at once, admits and rejects. Hence we shouldn't expect any early decisions.

Olm
02-06-2008, 07:39 AM
The downside (and upside) with Yale is that they seem to notify everyone at once, admits and rejects. Hence we shouldn't expect any early decisions.

Yep. They get it done in a single howitzer cannon shot.

[bounce]

econphilomath
02-06-2008, 12:08 PM

No downside there, just put us out of our misery...

commodore
02-06-2008, 01:00 PM
FYI: Yale does maintain a decent-sized wait list. Last year all the accepts and rejects heard around Feb 22, while wait listers were told nothing until early to mid March.

commodore
02-06-2008, 01:01 PM
I've seen profs walking around with application files since about January 15, so they should be well into the process by now. I'm surprised they're just now asking for your GRE scores. Maybe that's a good sign that you're still in contention? Not sure.

bertthepuppy
02-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Just as an FYI...I got an e-mail from an Ohio State professor asking me to fax a recommendation letter they were still missing. The next week I was accepted into the program. I think if they didn't want you they wouldn't ask for official GREs...

needeconhelp
02-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Hypercube, if you do not mind, please share your profile with us.

Hypercube
02-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Commodore,

I hope you're conjecture is right ,and they are somewhat interested in my application. I really thought Yale was a long shot for my background.

Profile for Needeconhelp

GRE: 600V, 780 Q, 4.0 AWA
University: A low-tier State University
Standing: MS Student in Math
Math: Calc I-III (A), Linear (A), ODE (A), Intro Analysis (A), General Topology I and II (A/A), Measure-Theoretic Probability (A), Complex (A), Logic (A)
Theoretical Stats: Inference I and II (Casella) (A/A), Decision Theory (A), Stochastic Modelling I and II, Regression and Multivariate Analysis (A).
Econ and Applied Stats: Too Many too list. We used Varian for a micro class and MGW for a game theory class. All A's except for a 1 credit Seminar class: I got a B+ for skipping the seminars. :D
Research:

I did a paper on a problem dealing with graph labeling, which was presented at a graph theory conference. The problem was moderately difficult since a few "expert" researchers collaboratively worked on the same problem but had no luck solving it. This paper is under peer review for a journal called Discrete Mathematics. I don't have any econ papers though. I did write an essay on learning in games. I simulated a repeated two-player-zero-sum game and modeled each player's behavior as a Markov Decision Process, which "shows" (in a non-mathematical sense) that the solution converges to Nash. I also did a paper that uses FIML to estimate the effect of an endogenous variable on the probability of a dichotomous choice. Both of these were never sent for publication. Oh yeah, I served as a research assistant for my school's economic research center. It was worthless though. I was merely a Stata slave, coding files for the economists.

Teaching: I teach 3 classes per semester! 2 Math and 1 Econ.

LOR: Econ: One is from someone that completed his PhD from Yale in 3 years. One who got his PhD from Princeton. Math: One from prof I wrote the graph labeling paper for. I imagine this one is quite boastful since he thinks highly of me after solving that problem for him over the summer.

Interest: Game Theory!

Schools applied to:

Yale
Penn
Caltech
Cornell
U Illinois
NYU

C152dude
02-06-2008, 10:09 PM
I really thought Yale was a long shot for my background.

Maybe you need more math courses?

P=NP
02-07-2008, 12:53 AM
About a week ago, someone told me that the admissions committee was meeting (this was as we saw the admissions chair walking past). Also, when we came back from holidays in early January, the graduate secretary's office was filled with boxes of files and now it's back to normal. Plus, today I saw that the graduate secretary has her son working in her office...I assume it's applications based (he was also there in early Jan).

These are pretty random bits of information, but you'll be the first to know if I hear anything substantial, and good luck all :D

guan
02-07-2008, 01:01 AM
Can you aim a webcam at the chimney so we can see the white smoke as it appears?

econphilomath
02-07-2008, 02:32 AM
Can you aim a webcam at the chimney so we can see the white smoke as it appears?

I just hope the white smoke is not product of the graduate secretaries son burning my file!

Thesus
02-07-2008, 02:36 AM
Okay, now I'm tense.
Twitch.

polkaparty
02-07-2008, 02:38 AM
today I saw that the graduate secretary has her son working in her office...

We need pictures of this kid, background checks, fingerprints. Who exactly is Yale entrusting with our precious application files!?!

Nalfien
02-07-2008, 03:32 AM
Who exactly is Yale entrusting with our precious application files!?!

Patrick.

:)

Olm
02-07-2008, 07:47 AM
Maybe you need more math courses?

LOL, that was a good one.

needeconhelp
02-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Hypercube, you have a great profile. I think they want you.

econphilomath
02-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Hypercube, if you posted your profile on the RollCall thread, it would then be usefull for the next generation of applicants, especially one the results have come in.

BTW, your profile looks fine and I'm sure asking for your GRE score is a good sign.

Anyway, we will see in the next couple of days...

econphilomath
02-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Just in... some hallway gossip from Yale says final decisions have not been made but by next week everything will be settled...

If this were true it would be a little earlier than last year but within polkaparty's confidence interval. Either way, we can relax for the next couple of days regarding Yale.

arieshion
02-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Just in... a guy from Yale got some hallway gossip and says final decisions have not been made but by next week everything will be settled...

If this is true it would be a little earlier than last year but within polkaparty's confidence interval.

I am sure I am going crazy...
By next week generally means the decisions will be sent out the week after next?

asianecon
02-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Just in... some hallway gossip from Yale says final decisions have not been made but by next week everything will be settled...

If this were true it would be a little earlier than last year but within polkaparty's confidence interval. Either way, we can relax for the next couple of days regarding Yale.

At first, I thought you said you just got admitted. =)

Alas, all this excitement

econphilomath
02-07-2008, 05:03 PM
At first, I thought you said you just got admitted. =)

Alas, all this excitement

LOL yea... I wish!:p

polkaparty
02-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Just in... a guy from Yale got some hallway gossip and says final decisions have not been made but by next week everything will be settled...

Does that mean that they will release decisions next week or simply have made the final decisions? It would be awesome if they released decisions next Friday.

If this is true it would be a little earlier than last year but within polkaparty's confidence interval.

I would be quite happy if I my estimate of the true mean was too `high'.

econphilomath
02-15-2008, 01:34 PM
Ok its the end of the week and still no news from Yale. (got some bad info i guess...oops)

We now know:
1-Fake Posts on the gradcafe confirmed by Yale secretary
2-Secretary said, results will be out in a "few weeks"

This would imply Yale is sending out notices later this year than last.
Anybody from Yale (or whatever) have any new info?

Is Patrick (the secretaries son) typing away or is he playing solitaire?

polkaparty
02-15-2008, 02:11 PM
1-Fake Posts on the gradcafe confirmed by Yale secretary

2-Secretary said, results will be out in a "few weeks"

Regarding #2: Did you call and ask? When? Stop being so vague with your information econphilomath!

Since '06 Yale has fairly consistently released decisions at the end of the third week of February, so I think we should still expect them next Friday.

asianecon
02-15-2008, 02:28 PM
I called and Pam said the results would be released in several weeks' time.

Maybe she means all the results including admits and rejects (with the former being sent earlier...I don't know)

polkaparty
02-15-2008, 02:34 PM
I called and Pam said the results would be released in several weeks' time.

She could be giving an upper bound on the release. It's probably better to err later rather than earlier. Also, I think the "results" = "rejects and admits" hypothesis makes sense. Hence we could still expect a round of admits going out next Friday, even though all of the "results" will not be out for a "few weeks".

econphilomath
02-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Regarding #2: Did you call and ask? When? Stop being so vague with your information econphilomath!

Yes Mam!

Regarding #2, I was talking about what asianecon said in an earlier post, nothing more. Last week when I said I had heard things would come out this week I was referring to what a student from Yale told me regarding when the adcom would seemingly finish selecting admits. Thats all I know, sorry for the confusion and for being wrong. I got caught up in the excitement and should have kept quiet.

polkaparty
02-15-2008, 03:02 PM
I got caught up in the excitement and should have kept quiet.

Hehe, it's ok. We're all caught up in the excitement and a bit high strung.

Equilibrium
02-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Hehe, it's ok. We're all caught up in the excitement and a bit high strung.
yeah, i know the feeling, everyone's just trying to get information, some posts are so a person can share/obtain information that has value to them, just gotta remember not to take things personally, lots of posts are to get information important only to the original poster, even if it seems foolish, no one ever has to be right all the time, and no one has to contribute if they feel it's dumb, so really hopefully people just don't harbor hard feelings here, which I have seen basically that they don't, let us all hope that continues as the admit/rejects come in for real and everyone is on pins and needles

statrics
02-18-2008, 03:35 AM
Any new inside information?

The offers should be issued this or next week according to the cases of recent years.

c1411
02-18-2008, 05:01 AM
I will probably never post here again, as my own field is far removed from Economics, but.... I have some information that might help with Yale.

After I applied to Yale, a professor asked me if he could move my application to a different department because it looked like the department I originally applied to was unlikely to accept me and this department might be better suited to my interests. I agreed and asked about when I would hear a response. He told me that this year, all departments within the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences had to have their decisions posted by the last day of February.

It shouldn't be long now, guys. Just hold on.

statrics
02-18-2008, 05:23 AM
Thank you, c1411.

Fingers crossed.

Nalfien
02-18-2008, 06:05 PM
From what I've heard they will most likely be this week...

bertthepuppy
02-18-2008, 06:05 PM
Good luck everybody!

polkaparty
02-18-2008, 06:48 PM
From what I've heard they will most likely be this week...

YES. Praise the TM spies!

YAHA
02-18-2008, 07:05 PM
Yeah, nice job on not getting trashed simply because of an incomplete file!

According to last years data, we should expect Yale to be the first of the top 5 schools to notify: Feb. 22!

so you consider yale to be one of the top 5 econ programs . . .interesting . . . .

econphilomath
02-18-2008, 07:07 PM
so you consider yale to be one of the top 5 econ programs . . .interesting . . . .

What kind of a comment is that? Sarcasm, disbelief, incredulous, approval,....what...

appliedtheorist
02-18-2008, 08:29 PM
This week? What the...how am I supposed to get some sleep?! I am down to 2 hours per night...

econphilomath
02-18-2008, 08:40 PM
After NYU, we can't even get some sleep on weekends or at night...

statrics
02-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Oh God, where is my offer?

polkaparty
02-18-2008, 09:41 PM

I am thinking of a sort of cluster analysis, accounting for statistical insignificance, ranking system somewhat similar to US News.

There are 7 schools I currently consider "top 5".

YAHA
02-18-2008, 10:31 PM
What kind of a comment is that? Sarcasm, disbelief, incredulous, approval,....what...

The comment represents a pure amazement of the author by the quoted statement. Offense and sarcasm were neither intended nor implied.

YAHA
02-18-2008, 10:36 PM
I am thinking of a sort of cluster analysis, accounting for statistical insignificance, ranking system somewhat similar to US News.

I see your point.

P.S. Once again, take no offense by my previous comment.

the_asker
02-19-2008, 10:43 AM

Me too! And 30 schools I consider "top 20". The top 10 seem to be well-behaved, however.

I don't understand what's so beautiful about multiples of 5 anyway... Personally I prefer prime numbers. Wouldn't Top 2, Magic 7, Mighty 13, Wondrous 23 etc. be more descriptive for our purposes? Or is it just the anxiety of all this waiting that's getting to me? I never thought applying to PhD programs could pose such a health hazard...

In this light, does TM or thegradcafe.com alleviate or aggravate your anxiety levels? I vote for the former. For starters, it's comforting to know that no one else has heard from school x.

econphilomath
02-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Does anyone (TM spies) know how many admits Yale sends out every year?

Do these guys have an official waitlist or unofficial...?

Nalfien
02-19-2008, 03:31 PM
Does anyone (TM spies) know how many admits Yale sends out every year?

Do these guys have an official waitlist or unofficial...?

Last year it was 65 and 10 waitlisted but none of the waitlisted got in last year yet all did the year before.

econphilomath
02-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Last year it was 65 and 10 waitlisted but none of the waitlisted got in last year yet all did the year before.

Thanks for the info. We supposedly should hear from then this week, I think..

Antonio
02-19-2008, 04:41 PM
From: "Pamela O'donnell" <pamela.odonnell@yale.edu>Subject: Re: decisionsDate: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 11:34:03 -0500To: "Rosato Antonio" <a.rosato@sssup.it>http://mail.sssup.it/SkinFiles/sssup.it/sssup-csi/TextHeaders.gif (http://mail.sssup.it/Session/13592-VsiFOW3QkDR7Ug2m2vt6/MessagePart/INBOX/6525-H.txt)
http://mail.sssup.it/SkinFiles/sssup.it/sssup-csi/TextLetter.gif (http://mail.sssup.it/Session/13592-VsiFOW3QkDR7Ug2m2vt6/MessagePart/INBOX/6525-P.txt)By early next week

Sorry about my bad english, but..."by early next week" means "not before next week" or "at the beginning of next week" ?

Mr.Keen
02-19-2008, 04:43 PM
She said by early next week today? Then that means next Monday or Tuesday.

Karina 07
02-19-2008, 04:45 PM
I don't understand what's so beautiful about multiples of 5 anyway... Personally I prefer prime numbers. Wouldn't Top 2, Magic 7, Mighty 13, Wondrous 23 etc. be more descriptive for our purposes?

Hee hee hee! I'd second it. It sounds funny. :D I'll certainly start using the "Magic 7" monicker.... (...Lucky for TM-ers?)

Wait a sec, aren't there some other disciplines in which there *are* such non-multiple-of-5 designations? Like I *think* (feel free correct me if I'm wrong -- which is very possible because this is the haziest of memories) that law schools have a top 14. Or maybe it's top 7. Top something-not-round, anyways.

asianecon
02-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Looks like we're not gonna see much action from the top 10 schools this week. oh well...I still cant access my d*mn mailbox anyway

polkaparty
02-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Looks like we're not gonna see much action from the top 10 schools this week. oh well...I still cant access my d*mn mailbox anyway

Antonio's information contradicts that of our spies. I place more weight on the latter. Again, the dept. is going to give an upper bound on decision dates. Furthermore, Yale has consistently released decisions on the Friday of the third week of February for 2-3 years.

Trapped In an EW Box
02-20-2008, 01:25 AM
Should we name this week "Yale anticipation week"??

appliedtheorist
02-20-2008, 04:19 PM
So? When are we going to be informed? The thing is two Yale grad students told me the decisions would be sent out this week...why is it not happening? WHY?! :)

israelecon
02-20-2008, 04:26 PM
appliedtheorist: would you choose yale over nyu?

appliedtheorist
02-20-2008, 04:38 PM
It depends on the offer, I guess. In terms of placement, Yale is epsilon ahead, I guess.

Olm
02-20-2008, 04:41 PM
Yale is well ahead of NYU in terms of placement, no contest.

appliedtheorist
02-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Check out this year's job market. On the basis of that, I do not quite agree with you, Olm...

israelecon
02-20-2008, 04:52 PM
if you are just interested in micro and game theory then nyu is probably well ahead of yale and NWU may be the only clearly better option.
in general yale still enjoys a lot of prestige but academically it has gone down in the past 25 years. its still great, but its not as highly ranked as it used to be, but it still has the name of being in the top 5 even though i don't really think it is anymore.
anyway, new haven is not the greatest location and nyc is a great location (this is probably the only opportunity to live in manhattan which is a great experience). so even if yale is better (and thats questionable) i would probably choose nyu. unless, of course there is a huge discrepancy in the funding.

Olm
02-20-2008, 04:53 PM
Historically, Yale is much better.

Mr.Keen
02-20-2008, 04:53 PM
Check out this year's job market. On the basis of that, I do not quite agree with you, Olm...

I think Olm means historically. NYU's placement is starting to pick up, but it hasn't always been that great.

appliedtheorist
02-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Efficient market hypothesis: NYU's past is already incorporated in today's price. I am forward-looking, and the future bodes well for NYU's returns.

israelecon
02-20-2008, 05:09 PM
i completely agree with appliedtheorist nyu is on the rise, yale is on the wane.
the only reason to go to yale over nyu is if you are interested in econometrics(which, appliedtheorist, your name suggest you may be).
Having a diploma from yale may look fancier to your friends, but in the end you need to get hired by other economists and they know that yale is no better than nyu.

econphilomath
02-20-2008, 05:13 PM
Yale vs NYU really depends on your interests I guess. Applied work is probably better at Yale as any econometrics. IMO, Development at Yale, Macro theory at NYU are another comparison.

NYU probably has more links with industry through Stern which might be important for some people...

polkaparty
02-20-2008, 05:17 PM
So? When are we going to be informed? The thing is two Yale grad students told me the decisions would be sent out this week...why is it not happening? WHY?! :)

Oh that's good news that we have additional inside information that they will indeed go out this week.

Historically Yale has released decisions on Friday around 12 pm EST. That's almost exactly 48 hours from now....

econphilomath
02-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Its freaking 4:14:23 pm in New Haven and nothing so far today...

will it be on Friday again...

What about the our TM Yale spies... do the secretaries look busy? what about that Patrick guy?

Throw us some bread crumbs over here...! Its been a boring day!

asianecon
02-20-2008, 09:23 PM
econphilomath: don't be too greedy! you had your day yesterday! :p

econphilomath
02-20-2008, 09:25 PM
econphilomath: don't be too greedy! you had your day yesterday! :p

Its true. I actually would enjoy any program to send out decisions just to have some action around here...

I'm also pretty tried after getting very little sleep last night (but for good reasons now!)

PS: your day will come soon... I'm sure of that!

iugi85
02-20-2008, 09:30 PM
PS: your day will come soon... I'm sure of that!

i agree with econphilomath :) asianecon is very impressive!

econphilomath
02-20-2008, 09:35 PM
i agree with econphilomath :) asianecon is very impressive!

Yea hes probably going to rake up the admits later... no doubt about it.

Speaking of raking up admits, whats your take on NYU vs UMinn iugi85 ?

iugi85
02-20-2008, 09:39 PM

i think it's very difficult to choose ! here in italy i have spoken to some professors and basically everyone told me nyu. however, i am quite sure i want to do macro, and i have heard amazing things on how minnesota supports his grad students! i am hoping that fly-out can help me to decide!

iugi85
02-20-2008, 09:41 PM

a question related to this: do you know if UMinn reimburse the air-ticket for the fly-out? tnx!

econphilomath
02-20-2008, 09:44 PM
a question related to this: do you know if UMinn reimburse the air-ticket for the fly-out? tnx!

No way...

Fly-outs are pretty early at UMinn, 14-15 of March.

jbs02002
02-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Are you sure? They said they'd give me up to $500 for airfare to the flyout.

commodore
02-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Yale decisions are made. They won't show us the list yet, but I heard a few names as I went by the secretary's office: Christopher, Xu (?), Oliver, and someone each from Princeton and Amherst. Emails should go out tomorrow, or at least by Monday.

appliedtheorist
02-20-2008, 10:37 PM
Wonderful! I can go to bed early today :-D

jmancer
02-20-2008, 11:09 PM
I can't wait to hear. Any clue how big Yale's class is/ what their expected yield is (to figure out how many accepts they will offer)?

the_asker
02-20-2008, 11:56 PM
Yale decisions are made. They won't show us the list yet, but I heard a few names as I went by the secretary's office: Christopher, Xu (?), Oliver, and someone each from Princeton and Amherst. Emails should go out tomorrow, or at least by Monday.

I AM XU LIN!!!!!!

Nah, just kidding.

econphilomath
02-20-2008, 11:57 PM
Are you sure? They said they'd give me up to $500 for airfare to the flyout.

Actually I'm not sure...I was refering to international flights and as far as I know nobody gives $$ for those flights. (500 bucks isn't enough for a flight from Italy...)

Also you have a fellowship, it might be different for you...

econphilomath
02-21-2008, 12:07 AM

ahhh man, you can't just post that and go away...!

Antonio
02-21-2008, 12:31 AM
iugi85...you are from Italy...bocconi?

I guess....

Mr.Keen
02-21-2008, 12:36 AM
500 bucks are 500 bucks

econphilomath
02-21-2008, 12:43 AM
Now that I thinka bout it, thats a lot of money...

asianecon
02-21-2008, 12:49 AM
Actually I'm not sure...I was refering to international flights and as far as I know nobody gives $$ for those flights. (500 bucks isn't enough for a flight from Italy...)

I think I was able to buy a ticket form Milan to Chicago for around $500 before. Alitalia's last minute tickets tend to be very cheap.

polkaparty
02-21-2008, 12:55 AM

This post is hilarious. I imagine them sitting in the office with a large scroll, reading the names aloud....

If they did release decisions tomorrow it would be a pleasant surprise!

Trapped In an EW Box
02-21-2008, 12:58 AM
You should check out Sta-Travel's website... I used to get cheap transatlantic flight from there all the time... Although with the timing being around spring break, all flights are probably going to be $$$$

I want to go to UVA for their open house, but I know they don't reimburse (very weird btw - their Poli Sci does!!)... Anyone else going from here?

econphilomath
02-21-2008, 01:05 AM
Ok this is what the info I got on the fly outs...

The Department of Economics is pleased
to offer a limited amount of travel
assistance for students interested in
attending the 2008 Recruitment weekend.

The assistance consists of up to three
nights lodging at the Holiday Inn
Metrodome, conveniently located one
block from the department and partial
reimbursement for travel expenses. Travel
reimbursement is determined by the
distance traveled and the funds available.

No 500 bucks, BUT they do say they will help out....

jbs02002
02-21-2008, 01:06 AM
StudentUniverse.com is also another good one. I bought round-trip tickets from Los Angeles to Prague for $600 or so on there when Orbitz and the other big sites didn't list anything less than $1200.

iugi85
02-21-2008, 01:26 AM
iugi85...you are from Italy...bocconi?

I guess....

yes, bocconi.

iugi85
02-21-2008, 01:28 AM

i tried to give it a search: the cheapest ticket i found is 1680$ from Milan... i guess it is not feasible attend the UMinn fly-out :doh:

econphilomath
02-21-2008, 01:29 AM
When is the NYU fly-out?

polkaparty
02-21-2008, 01:32 AM
When is the NYU fly-out?

Isn't this thread about Yale?

econphilomath
02-21-2008, 01:33 AM
hmmmm we were just talking about UMinn fly outs...

it has been offically de-railed

econphilomath
02-21-2008, 11:59 AM

Ok lets Re-rail this thread. (Bump for asianecon to sleep well, and to avoid further reproach from polkaparty )

commodore has confirmed the info provided by TM intelligence services.

Yale is ready and willing to "fire at will". We should expect to hear from them very very soon...

So get your hard hats ready... and good luck to all TMicians :luck2:

asianecon
02-21-2008, 01:52 PM
Is it advisable to call the office? I doubt that results would be out today assuming the dept needs to pass the list to the graduate school and then the latter will send all the emails..

Nah nevermind..I'll just be patient

econphilomath
02-21-2008, 02:02 PM
Is it advisable to call the office? I doubt that results would be out today assuming the dept needs to pass the list to the graduate school and then the latter will send all the emails..

Nah nevermind..I'll just be patient

Please go ahead and call and that way we'll know if its today or tomorrow.

Besides they could even glance over at the list and say "Yes" or "No"!

iugi85
02-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Please go ahead and call and that way we'll know if its today or tomorrow.

Besides they could even glance over at the list and say "Yes" or "No"!

i second this! i remember last year a friend of mine knew that he was accepted to columbia with this method.

Thesus
02-21-2008, 02:27 PM
Ah, the problem is that calling the department is a public good. How can we expect to have these called supplied?

C'mon, Yale. I need some certainty. I'd take you over Princeton, even. (Not that my waitlist at UMN bodes well for my chances there.)

asianecon
02-21-2008, 02:34 PM
I'm willing to call but I have the following concerns (rational/irrational):

1. Would Pam get irritated?
2. Would this jeopardize my chances?
3. Am I pre-empting a rejection if I call (ie weird karma)?
4. What else?

polkaparty
02-21-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm willing to call but I have the following concerns (rational/irrational):

1. Would Pam get irritated?
2. Would this jeopardize my chances?
3. Am I pre-empting a rejection if I call (ie weird karma)?
4. What else?

2. Don't mention your name
3. Decisions have already been made, it's impossible.
4. Praise from the TM community as a local hero will be forthcoming.
1. Perhaps, but don't let this surpass #4 in magnitude.

econphilomath
02-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Ah, the problem is that calling the department is a public good. How can we expect to have these called supplied?

C'mon, Yale. I need some certainty. I'd take you over Princeton, even. (Not that my waitlist at UMN bodes well for my chances there.)

asianecon has been known to indulge fellow TMers with the provision of calls in previous moments of dire need.

For example during the great Yale-gradecafe scare back in 11-02, the call by asianecon settled the matter and TMers everywhere rested at ease and gave thanks to the great asianecon for his solidarity... who knows, miracles do happen!

asianecon
02-21-2008, 02:39 PM
I followed polka's suggestion (didn't mention my name). Results will be out beginning of next week.

But who knows, maybe they'd process it faster

econphilomath
02-21-2008, 02:42 PM
OK its settled then. No excitement for today.

asianecon, thanks for the TM reconnaissance mission.

polkaparty
02-21-2008, 02:44 PM
I followed polka's suggestion (didn't mention my name). Results will be out beginning of next week.

But who knows, maybe they'd process it faster

Ah well, disappointing news, but thanks so much for calling, you really are our local hero. I have enough work to get done today without worrying about whether or not these decisions will be out....

Olm
02-21-2008, 02:46 PM
Next time, I will call. I might as well get used to my future career as a receptionist. :)

the_asker
02-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Next time, I will call. I might as well get used to my future career as a receptionist. :)

Yup, better than being a garbageman. :p

israelecon
02-21-2008, 02:52 PM

LOL, that a great line. maybe your furture career will be as a comedian.

econphilomath
02-21-2008, 03:03 PM

Thats deserves reputation points but I can't give anymore... !

However, keep your head up because its still too early in the game to go haywire on future career paths!

Nalfien
02-21-2008, 05:18 PM

This isn't true, commodore is just being Evil. Funny, but evil.

They had finished the decisions a few days ago and sent them to the dean of the graduate school and they are just waiting for the dean to release them so Pam can only guess when he'll be done but it should be soon...

Hang in there.

asianecon
02-21-2008, 05:20 PM

They had finished the decisions a few days ago and sent them to the dean of the graduate school and they are just waiting for the dean to release them so Pam can only guess when he'll be done but it should be soon...

Hang in there.

Thanks Nalfien (I'm not being sarcastic :D)

econphilomath
02-21-2008, 05:23 PM
You have got to be kidding me..... this flys in the face of all TM social norms and comradery. Posting false information is like being an traitor, and should be treated as such.

[removed by asquare] .

I'm sorry for what may appear to be heavy-handed moderation. However, we just can't have threats posted on TM. Even if they are empty, joking, or perceived as justified. It just cannot happen. At all. So I've removed the inappropriate content. Note that this does NOT mean I sanction commodore's behavior, either. asquare

polkaparty
02-21-2008, 05:31 PM

Hang in there.

Thanks for the info. Is the dean's approval just a formality or does he or she actually look over the files? That is, after they're sent to the dean do they need to be reviewed further or just entered into the computer.

It's actually reassuring that Pamella is only guessing, since that means they might come out tomorrow as expected!!

Nalfien
02-21-2008, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the info. Is the dean's approval just a formality or does he or she actually look over the files?

It is just a formality...

And Commodore is a big guy, I'd be careful if I were you ;). It's all in good fun. Relax a bit guys.

econphilomath
02-21-2008, 06:09 PM
... never mind ...

asquare
02-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Ok, this is getting out of control. I think what commodore posted was a really lousy excuse for a joke. People are obviously tense about hearing from schools -- and those who were in the same position a mere year ago should remember how it felt! Taunting people with fake news of decisions isn't funny at all, and I agree with econphilomath that it's a violation of the TM social norms.

However, posting threats -- even if they are empty or not serious or joking or even provoked -- is simply not allowed. Period. I don't care why. Like it or not, we live in a post-Columbine, post-Virginia Tech world. Everything is subject to a higher level of scrutiny, and while I certainly don't think anyone would follow through on a comment made in frustrating on the TM boards, it's not the kind of thing that can be allowed to stay.

I'm sorry if my moderation seems heavy handed lately. I know that people are tense and need to let out some steam. However, there are things that need to be done to keep the boards running smoothly. Some of those things are unpopular. But I hope that we can find a balance that keeps these forums friendly and useful and interesting -- and still a place for open exchange of ideas and opinions.

So there you have it. Can we please return to the previously scheduled re-run of "Applications Jeopardy?"

Olm
02-21-2008, 07:00 PM
However, keep your head up because its still too early in the game to go haywire on future career paths!

LOL, thanks. I am getting very depressed here because Rochester for me is almost a definite reject, and UCSD... well let's just say I have high hopes for this school and would be absolutely crushed if rejected.

P=NP
02-21-2008, 07:17 PM
I think commodore just forgot that you guys aren't here (yet) - Patrick is a metrics prof, Xu the TA, and Oliver is one of our classmates. Good luck all :D

p.s. you really wouldn't want to mess with commodore in his size 14 Larry Samuelson shoes.

asquare
02-21-2008, 07:20 PM
By Patrick-the-metrics-prof, do you by any chance mean Pat Kline?

Nalfien
02-21-2008, 07:23 PM
By Patrick-the-metrics-prof, do you by any chance mean Pat Kline?

Nope a different Patrick. But Kline is a funny in his own right- acting like a metrics professor in all the seminars with his comments :) The guy loves to bootstrap...

asquare
02-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Nope a different Patrick. But Kline is a funny in his own right- acting like a metrics professor in all the seminars with his comments :) The guy loves to bootstrap...
Yeah, but did you cluster your standard errors? :p

polkaparty
02-21-2008, 07:36 PM
I think commodore just forgot that you guys aren't here (yet) - Patrick is a metrics prof, Xu the TA, and Oliver is one of our classmates. Good luck all :D

p.s. you really wouldn't want to mess with commodore in his size 14 Larry Samuelson shoes.

Wait so patrick isn't the secretaries' kid? The lies go that deep? Wow....

israelecon
02-21-2008, 07:42 PM
why are people in this thread now? all the action is in the upenn thread.

appliedtheorist
02-21-2008, 07:47 PM
Okay, I am too yellow for this - but anyone willing to call Pam and bluntly ask whether s/he is on the list?

Nalfien
02-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Okay, I am too yellow for this - but anyone willing to call Pam and bluntly ask whether s/he is on the list?

she won't tell you.... she won't even tell us, you'll just be annoying her

jmancer
02-21-2008, 09:08 PM
I just called her to ask "if they received my fall grade update." She said that the econ dept no longer has the files and that decisions have been made. I asked her when we will hear back and she said that they will notify us early next week

commodore
02-21-2008, 09:39 PM
Wow. I didn't realize how much strife and anger my post would cause. I intended it as a joke and thought people would realize that. I see now that it was in very bad taste, and so I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be such a jerk. I actually did walk by the office as they were talking about applicants, and we thought 'Hey, wouldn't it be funny if we posted on TestMagic...". I guess it wasn't funny. I'm sorry, guys. Best of luck to all of you.

econphilomath
02-21-2008, 09:49 PM
Wow. I didn't realize how much strife and anger my post would cause. I intended it as a joke and thought people would realize that. I see now that it was in very bad taste, and so I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be such a jerk. I actually did walk by the office as they were talking about applicants, and we thought 'Hey, wouldn't it be funny if we posted on TestMagic...". I guess it wasn't funny. I'm sorry, guys. Best of luck to all of you.

I actually wasn't that mad... just kinda embarrassed because as you now know, my name is Xu and I got a little excited. My mother (and my neighbors) swears I got in....

BTW and for the record, I don't do boxing, I weigh maybe 100 pounds after all-you-can-eat pizza and the roughest contact sport I have ever played is maybe ping pong or chess.... I collect stamps and never played violent video games, so no need to feel intimidated by me.

EDIT: [my name is not really Xu]

arieshion
02-21-2008, 09:52 PM
deleted

savingtheplanet
02-21-2008, 10:00 PM
...never played violent video games, so no need to feel intimidated by me.

hey, dont knock violent videogames. they kept me out of trouble in high school ;-)

i'm nervously awaiting yale results too, since i reapplied to a few places this year after deferring admission at michigan. but commodore has always been a helpful and trusted member of this forum, so i'm happy to forgive him. glad to see everyone is friends again.

statrics
02-21-2008, 11:17 PM
I actually wasn't that mad... just kinda embarrassed because as you now know, my name is Xu and I got a little excited. My mother (and my neighbors) swears I got in....

BTW and for the record, I don't do boxing, I weigh maybe 100 pounds after all-you-can-eat pizza and the roughest contact sport I have ever played is maybe ping pong or chess.... I collect stamps and never played violent video games, so no need to feel intimidated by me.

At least one byproduct of the joke is that there are at least 2 'Xu's in TM:)

commodore
02-22-2008, 12:26 AM
In all seriousness, as Nalfien has said, the decisions are made but they won't tell us any names at this point. They are awaiting the dean's approval (a technicality) and then the emails will go out. Best of luck, everyone. I hope to see some of you when you come to the flyout in March!

polkaparty
02-22-2008, 12:30 AM
They are awaiting the dean's approval (a technicality) and then the emails will go out.

Does the economist dept. send the emails or does the graduate school?

Olm
02-22-2008, 02:24 AM
In all seriousness, as Nalfien has said, the decisions are made but they won't tell us any names at this point. They are awaiting the dean's approval (a technicality) and then the emails will go out. Best of luck, everyone. I hope to see some of you when you come to the flyout in March!

I'll come, but only to apply to the janitorial jobs there ;)