PDA

View Full Version : confusion

JackMA
02-06-2008, 06:51 AM
After reviewing all your profiles, I am really shocked. You are so excellent. Before coming to US, I have heard that economics phd is one of the hardest program to apply and to learn. Even worse, the job market for economic phd is also one of the worst among all the programs. If so, in the standing of the economic perspective, why do all your guys still choose economics phd to pursue? for the personal interest or the bad job market is just a rumor? Thanks!

constrainedoptimizer
02-06-2008, 07:24 AM
After reviewing all your profiles, I am really shocked. You are so excellent. Before coming to US, I have heard that economics phd is one of the hardest program to apply and to learn. Even worse, the job market for economic phd is also one of the worst among all the programs. If so, in the standing of the economic perspective, why do all your guys still choose economics phd to pursue? for the personal interest or the bad job market is just a rumor? Thanks!

Hey Jack. The job market for PhDs in economics is not bad at all, considering the employment rate of the degree is in the ninety(ith) percentile. The issues are in academic placement, where there is definitely a higher supply of fresh top-notch PhDs than the ideal slots that we all want.

Olm
02-06-2008, 07:38 AM
Hey Jack. The job market for PhDs in economics is not bad at all, considering the employment rate of the degree is in the ninety(ith) percentile. The issues are in academic placement, where there is definitely a higher supply of fresh top-notch PhDs than the ideal slots that we all want.

And a metric ton of economists have started to retire, the boomers. The market for academics is looking great.

econphilomath
02-06-2008, 12:26 PM
I don't care what the market is like, I just love economics...

Mr.Keen
02-06-2008, 04:33 PM
I don't care what the market is like, I just love economics...

Same here, it is a no brainer. If I were looking for money I'd be posting on the MBA forum.

08Applicant
02-06-2008, 05:30 PM
Private sector is fine by me. Right now I'm excited to see the outcome of the Microsoft/Yahoo/Google royal rumble. I have a lot of potential research ideas locked up in those companies.

I never really thought about the boomers retiring. Good point.

YoungEconomist
02-06-2008, 05:34 PM
I just love economics. Besides, there are many good jobs available (both in and out of academia). I'm not sure what I want to do specifically, I just know I want to spend the rest of my life studying the discipline in one way or another. Likely I'll either become a professor or an economic consultant.

Smileysquared
02-06-2008, 08:35 PM
There is a shortage of skilled economists in Trinidad if anyone is interested.

jbs02002
02-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Living in the Carribbean doesn't sound so bad. Years ago I actually considered being a divemaster for a career.