PDA

View Full Version : The waiting is driving me absolutely insane...

Olm
02-06-2008, 08:08 AM
I'm constantly refreshing my email, this site, and grad cafe now... :mad:

One of the profs told me that with my profile I am not getting in any of the places I applied to. Thanks, pal.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhh!!!!!!! :crazy:

YouTube - Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - The Waiting (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLCJEYLIBQY)

Whoever said the wait would drive one bonkos was right. :wallbash:

the_asker
02-06-2008, 08:16 AM
Me too!!! For me this is further complicated by the fact that I'm on the other side of the planet (with respect to the US). I'm smashing my body clock against the wall. Is it really still 24 days before March??? I'll refresh everything to death!

JackMA
02-06-2008, 08:20 AM

One of the profs told me that with my profile I am not getting in any of the places I applied to. Thanks, pal.

YouTube - Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - The Waiting (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLCJEYLIBQY)

me too! I keep refreshing my email all the time.

but olm, why do you still nervous? you are in! hmm...Congratulations!

btw, what is reality kicks in means? does that mean your dream school or the school you have got the offer?

mysherona
02-06-2008, 08:22 AM
How difficult is it to get into the Oxford MPhil? Are those stats on the webpage (50/315) still accurate?

JackMA
02-06-2008, 08:24 AM
How difficult is it to get into the Oxford MPhil? Are those stats on the webpage (50/315) still accurate?
in my point of view, I think it is not hard to apply the Mphil in Oxford.

Antonio
02-06-2008, 08:56 AM
It is hard to pay!!!!!

mysherona
02-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Sorry for somehow making this about Oxford. Just wondered because the OP is applying there too and I'd imagine he has a fair chance for the MPhil, contrary to what his favorite professor said.

But I can definitely relate to him and the_asker!!! I also live in a land far, far away from the US but my body clock has been reset to GMT -8. No matter, we can sleep when we're dead, right? Or at least after all this craziness is over.

Canuckonomist
02-06-2008, 01:08 PM
I don't mean to instill false hopes in you, Olm, but I wouldn't say you're totally out of a program like Queen's. Things are quite random, and if your LORs are good, a 4.0 GPA in your grad program would impress the adcoms here, I think. Good luck!

Andronicus
02-06-2008, 01:47 PM

I don't agree that you can't get into any of the places you applied, but if you want to add a safety or two, its still possible. Some lower ranked programs have deadlines in March. Of course, whether applying to those places is worth it depends on whether you would even accept an offer from a low ranked school like Georgia State (whose deadline is March 15).

econphilomath
02-06-2008, 01:51 PM
I don't agree that you can't get into any of the places you applied, but if you want to add a safety or two, its still possible. Some lower ranked programs have deadlines in March. Of course, whether applying to those places is worth it depends on whether you would even accept an offer from a low ranked school like Georgia State (whose deadline is March 15).

Some programs that are not ranked so low but are in Europe have late deadlines also. UPF in Barcelona for example. not sure if leaving the US is out of the question...

Valhalla
02-06-2008, 02:24 PM

As long as this prof is not one of your letter providers... :-)

mysherona
02-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Haha. Funny, I just realized that I assume Valhalla looks like the man in the picture (i.e. he looks like Mises). I also assume that econphilomath looks like the person in his picture (i.e. he likes pummeling huge chunks of meat).

AstralTraveller
02-06-2008, 03:44 PM
but olm, why do you still nervous? you are in! hmm...Congratulations!

btw, what is reality kicks in means? does that mean your dream school or the school you have got the offer?

sorry to say, but Olm's signature is a three row list: first row signals the places he has been admitted to (as of today, zero), second are those to which he is waiting for an answer (most), and the third, called "reality kicks in", relates to the rejects received (Duke).

I hope for everyone here to have at least one "I'm awake, I'm in!" school that each is willing to attend.

The waiting sucks :(

OK, my 5 minute break is over. Back to RA'ing for one of my recommenders.

econphilomath
02-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Haha. Funny, I just realized that I assume Valhalla looks like the man in the picture (i.e. he looks like Mises). I also assume that econphilomath looks like the person in his picture (i.e. he likes pummeling huge chunks of meat).

Thats Rocky Balboa preparing himself for the fight of his life.....:)

mysherona
02-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Thats Rocky Balboa preparing himself for the fight of his life.....:)

Oh! How appropriate. I knew I was missing something. :p

Mr.Keen
02-06-2008, 04:48 PM

Now, I wish one of my professors had told me that before I applied. And I agree, the wating is absolutely driving me nuts. I am officially insane.:crazy:

arieshion
02-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Same here. I was checking email at midnight yesterday...

JackMA
02-06-2008, 05:23 PM
sorry to say, but Olm's signature is a three row list: first row signals the places he has been admitted to (as of today, zero), second are those to which he is waiting for an answer (most), and the third, called "reality kicks in", relates to the rejects received (Duke).

I hope for everyone here to have at least one "I'm awake, I'm in!" school that each is willing to attend.

The waiting sucks :(

OK, my 5 minute break is over. Back to RA'ing for one of my recommenders.

Thank you, traveler :)

YoungEconomist
02-06-2008, 05:32 PM
The waiting is driving me absolutely insane...

Yeah, me too, the waiting is driving me crazy. Of course, we mean different things. I'm talking about the fact that I won't even start filling out applications until next fall, and I won't hear back until about a year from now. I just want these next couple quarters to come and go, as I'm really anxious about applying and getting in somewhere.

JackMA
02-06-2008, 05:42 PM

Me too! In my mind, valhalla probably a bright and serious person(as in the pic). And econphilomath,lol, probably in China because the pork price in China is rocketing now :)

Valhalla
02-06-2008, 05:54 PM

Well ... that you are able to identify l.v. mises but not sly in his role as rocky some weeks before he kicks apollo's a***`%$!! is the illustrative proof that you study/studied econ... QED :)

I have to admit that I am also somehow conditioned...always when I see econphil's avatar I can hear "survivor" performing "eye of the tiger" in my head.. I feel like the famous dog of Ivan Pavlov.. thx ecoph.

JackMA
02-06-2008, 05:54 PM
Yeah, me too, the waiting is driving me crazy. Of course, we mean different things. I'm talking about the fact that I won't even start filling out applications until next fall, and I won't hear back until about a year from now. I just want these next couple quarters to come and go, as I'm really anxious about applying and getting in somewhere.

:D, you are really young economist!

adnormous
02-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Don't worry Olm! Surprise sometimes comes last:) I am sure you will receive a big offer!

Olm
02-06-2008, 06:06 PM
As long as this prof is not one of your letter providers... :-)

Unfortunately, the prof that told me I am not going to get in anywhere is indeed one of my LORs.

Now I'm wondering whether or not he torpedoed me in his LORs... he only told me this after he sent the letters. :eek:

If my undergrad GPA were 3.5 or above, I would have had a decent chance at a top 10, as everything else in my app is in order. Now a GPA of 3.0 is a death knell for every school that has decent research output? :doh:

JackMA
02-06-2008, 06:38 PM
Unfortunately, the prof that told me I am not going to get in anywhere is indeed one of my LORs.

Now I'm wondering whether or not he torpedoed me in his LORs... he only told me this after he sent the letters. :eek:

If my undergrad GPA were 3.5 or above, I would have had a decent chance at a top 10, as everything else in my app is in order. Now a GPA of 3.0 is a death knell for every school that has decent research output? :doh:

We are just opposite. I have relatively high under GPA, but low graduate GPA:(. Even worse, I have not predicted the competition is so stiff, and I have only applied two schools. I am so nervous now.

JackMA
02-06-2008, 06:51 PM

Don't lose hope. My boyfriend talked to the professor in the school I applied. That professor said he did not think I am qualified for this program (Economics phd).
My boyfriend comforted me: you should be happy that he is not the committee member, do not worry.
So right now, I still hold my hope for my application.

Thesus
02-06-2008, 10:02 PM
If Valentine's Day weren't on a Saturday this year, I would've thought that would be a good day to send out admits.

At least that's when I would. Gotta have a sense of humour about it. Given that it is on a Saturday, what the heck are they waiting for?!? ;)

mysherona
02-06-2008, 10:34 PM
If Valentine's Day weren't on a Saturday this year, I would've thought that would be a good day to send out admits.

At least that's when I would. Gotta have a sense of humour about it. Given that it is on a Saturday, what the heck are they waiting for?!? ;)

What are you talking about? Valentine's Day is next Thursday.

YoungEconomist
02-06-2008, 11:30 PM
:D, you are really young economist!

Funny thing is, I'm actually a fifth year undergrad. I decided to stick around my undergrad for some extra time so that I can work on the important math classes and apply to PhD programs. I figured out that I wanted to pursue econ late in my undergrad. Not only am I staying an entire fifth year, but I also have to come back for summer and next fall. I'll be the only person I know who's been a sixth year senior.;)

Thesus
02-06-2008, 11:44 PM
What are you talking about? Valentine's Day is next Thursday.

Well, I feel stupid now.

buckykatt
02-07-2008, 02:44 AM
What does it say, I wonder, that I knew exactly when "Super Tuesday" would be but didn't realize that it's Valentine's Day so soon? It would be great to get an acceptance on V's Day--then I could tell myself that it's a good thing I'm single, because I'll be too busy to date next year! ;)

Olm
02-07-2008, 07:36 AM
Funny thing is, I'm actually a fifth year undergrad. I decided to stick around my undergrad for some extra time so that I can work on the important math classes and apply to PhD programs. I figured out that I wanted to pursue econ late in my undergrad. Not only am I staying an entire fifth year, but I also have to come back for summer and next fall. I'll be the only person I know who's been a sixth year senior.;)

As long as you get the right courses, you are fine. If I get rejected everywhere, I will probably go for a second BA (Honors mathematics) and finish it in 2 years then try again. Insane, I know.

Valhalla
02-07-2008, 11:14 AM

Keep cool... your professor wouldn't have promised you support via a LOR just to torpedo your application right? Those profs typically don't sit together and discuss how they might ruin the career of some arduous students and it was probably not the case that you entered his office, on the day you asked for a supportive letter, and he pointed with his finger on you and laughed for hours right? (if this was indeed the case you should be worried :D)

Most of the profs take some standard LOR, which they have created some yeras ago and add one or two student-specific paragraphs and don't spend weeks on this issue... I guess/hope they have to work on more interesting things. So, don't worry! Everything will be fine and in 6 weeks from now you may celebrate your admission to one of the schools you mention in your copied sig :-).