PDA

View Full Version : Decisions...When ...

dr_Shpak
02-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Is it true that this year decisions are going to be send earlier than last year ?

Andronicus
02-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Probably depends on which schools you're asking about. There have been some early admits from several places, and a lot of early rejections from Duke.

dr_Shpak
02-06-2008, 05:07 PM
i mean in general :)

Mr.Keen
02-06-2008, 05:13 PM
i mean in general :)

We would need some sort of inside information from every program to answer that. We are just simple applicants trying to gather and use as much information as possible, there is no way we can know if early decisions are general :).

polkaparty
02-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Is it true that this year decisions are going to be send earlier than last year ?

What makes you think that...?

I imagine the temporal distribution of decision release dates will be about the same... 2 week standard deviation and mean on March 1st.

econphilomath
02-06-2008, 05:35 PM
We would need some sort of inside information from every program to answer that. We are just simple applicants trying to gather and use as much information as possible, there is no way we can know if early decisions are general :).

In general, March.

In particular, stay tuned to TM day in and day out and you will find out as soon as someone hits the jackpot. I have found that on TM we are a broad group of proud econ-geeks (or freaks, whatever your whim) that will be getting in (or being rejected ) at every respectable econ program there is. In other words, the collection of all TMers application sets, forms a cover for the set of programs comprised of the econphd.net ranking.

Mr.Keen
02-06-2008, 05:38 PM
In other words, the collection of all TMers application sets, forms a cover for the set of programs comprised of the econphd.net ranking.

Dude, I know you said you haven't taken real analysis, but it doesn't seem like you have to. :)

econphilomath
02-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Dude, I know you said you haven't taken real analysis, but it doesn't seem like you have to. :)

I'm a nerd, it comes natural I guess....:p

polkaparty
02-06-2008, 10:12 PM
Here are my predictions for when each school will release a majority of admits (I've adjusted previous year's data to account for day shifts and leap year)

Next week:
Friday 15 Feb: Duke

two weeks from now:
Friday 22 Feb: Yale

three weeks from now (big week):
Tuesday 26 Feb: Columbia, Penn
Wednesday 27 Feb: Harvard
Thursday 28 Feb: Berkeley, Northwestern
Friday 29 Feb: Princeton (2007)

four weeks from now:
Monday 3 March: MIT
Tuesday 4 March: Princeton (2006)

Mr.Keen
02-06-2008, 10:49 PM
We should start hearing from Minnesota by the end of next week as well.

jbs02002
02-06-2008, 10:55 PM
We should start hearing from Minnesota by the end of next week as well.

Given my pretty mediocre profile I think a lot of you guys should be getting acceptances from Minnesota.

econphilomath
02-07-2008, 04:25 PM
If it was a mediocre profile, you would not have gotten the early admit! Cassin last year did great and he also got an early admit...

Mr.Keen
02-07-2008, 05:42 PM
When was the latest Minnesota admit last year? I think there were some in early March. I can't wait that long!... well, better said, I don't want to!

Mr.Keen
02-07-2008, 05:42 PM
... hahaha, I sound as if I were waiting for an admit. I wish.

Mr.Keen
02-07-2008, 06:45 PM
semischolastic's admit to Duke means we should start seeing more admits from them in the next few days since they have rolling admissions.

econphilomath
02-07-2008, 06:48 PM
It seems the OP was right about this year having earlier than usual admits...

bertthepuppy
02-07-2008, 06:48 PM
His admit also means that everyone getting an e-mail from Duke can hear either way now...so basically we're each going to crap our pants in nervousness when we receive the e-mail either way...

econphilomath
02-07-2008, 06:49 PM
His admit also means that everyone getting an e-mail from Duke can hear either way now...so basically we're each going to crap our pants in nervousness when we receive the e-mail either way...

LOL but now theres hope...

Antonio
02-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Here are my predictions for when each school will release a majority of admits (I've adjusted previous year's data to account for day shifts and leap year)

Next week:
Friday 15 Feb: Duke

two weeks from now:
Friday 22 Feb: Yale

three weeks from now (big week):
Tuesday 26 Feb: Columbia, Penn
Wednesday 27 Feb: Harvard
Thursday 28 Feb: Berkeley, Northwestern
Friday 29 Feb: Princeton (2007)

four weeks from now:
Monday 3 March: MIT
Tuesday 4 March: Princeton (2006)

What about Berkeley, UChicago, UCSD, BU, BC Stanford and Brown ?

Mr.Keen
02-13-2008, 04:21 PM
We can expect to hear from Chicago in late February and early March. I would say we'll hear from Stanford around mid March. I have no clue about the others.

Letsgowings20
02-14-2008, 01:05 AM
What about Berkeley, UChicago, UCSD, BU, BC Stanford and Brown ?

I just received an e-mail from the secretary at Brown saying that "the application process is almost over." The reason she e-mailed me was because I had asked her if I could include a soon-to-be completed math research paper in my application. She responded with the above quote along with "sorry." Oh well, its in God's hands now.

Ibn Abbas
02-14-2008, 02:04 AM

How many hours per day do you spend on TM? :D

AstralTraveller
02-14-2008, 02:05 AM
How many hours per day do you spend on TM? :D

Good one! On average for the past three weeks, not less than 4 hours a day :blush:

dr_Shpak
02-14-2008, 09:19 AM
And do you check some other forums ? which ?