PDA

View Full Version : How important is the Math in the GRE exam

Smileysquared
02-06-2008, 04:42 PM
For many of the responses on the different threads I have found that a very great emphasis is placed on one's math training.
Hypothetically speaking let's assume that someone has done a major in Math covering courses like Linear Algebra, Abstract Algebra, Statistical Theory, Analysis and Mathematical Methods , Probability etc. but does not score very high on the GRE quantitative section lets say around 750 for whatever reason eg careless mistakes. Does it automatically throw that person out of consideration when applying for a PhD? I find it very difficult to accept that if one has such advanced training in Math that one test would overshadow years of such vigorous training.....

polkaparty
02-06-2008, 04:47 PM
Does it automatically throw that person out of consideration when applying for a PhD?

Yes, practically. [I feel your pain, been there done that].

It's all a matter of comparison. If everyone has the same coursework credentials and you get a 750 and the rest get an 800, you are out, ceteris paribus.

I've railed about statistical significance in this exam before but the reality is that adcoms will use measured differences in the GRE score to sort and reject applicants.

Fortunately, this is not a ceteris paribus world and it's perhaps possible to overcome a somewhat weak GRE score by improving your other credentials.

econphilomath
02-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Yesterday, a guy I work with who finished recently his PhD at Wisconsin was sympathetically listening to my talk about applications ordeal and we touched the GRE scores topic. He told me that hi adviser had once said to him that he didn't pass anyone without 800q. Then he went on to say most professors are not like that and cut lower, say 780q or just ignored it altogether.
He also noted that one of the good students of his class at Wisconsin had a lower than 800 quant GRE but still did great and went on to do significant research.

In conclusion, getting a good quant score will not make you smart nor indicate you will succeed but it does eliminate the chance a professor in adcom somewhere will drop you just for that. I mean you don't want to give these guys any excuses to eliminate you and getting a decent quant is the first and pretty easy step!

Olm
02-06-2008, 06:17 PM
I would say that the real "minimum" score has indeed risen from 750. I would say it's 770 now (that is the highest official minimum score any graduate school has, and it's at UBC). Last year someone with a 770 got into Harvard.

I noticed that some schools that are outside of the top ten but want to be in the top 10 put undue emphasis on GRE scores. Duke and Maryland, for example, basically say that if your GRE Q is not 800 that you're out of the running. Their loss.

oavdn17
02-06-2008, 06:52 PM
I don't think there is a specific score,especially if you have done well in math courses(Of course that includes calc sequence, linear algebra, and some proof based courses). I got a 700q score and i was offered a fellowship ( although its probably irrelevant to most of you, since im at a low ranked school). But more importantly for the OP,my undergrad classmate got a 660q score( im pretty sure she double majored in math) and was awarded full funding at UC Irvine. So i personally don't think it's a big deal , well at least outside of the top 20, if your profile can make up for the deficiency with your math courses.

Smileysquared
02-06-2008, 07:43 PM
I really wish I could see what my quantitative score looks like now......
Econphilomath I think I remember seeing your GRE scores-over 700, can't remember seeing your profile though. You describe the application process as 'an ordeal', are you ok?

econphilomath
02-06-2008, 07:54 PM
I really wish I could see what my quantitative score looks like now......
Econphilomath I think I remember seeing your GRE scores-over 700, can't remember seeing your profile though. You describe the application process as 'an ordeal', are you ok?

Profiles the first on the profile thread.

Regarding my "condition" hmmm, I can tell you that last night my wife noted my first gray hair, my mouses left button is broken from refreshing my email, I have not done anything at work this whole week and I have been sleeping and eating less than the average concentration camp prisoner.

Its definitely an ordeal to suffer only once in a lifetime. But hey, I'm a masochist...I'm ok.

Things will be better once I get one admit....or at least a friend from TM gets an admit to feel happy for. Right now, I feel like I'm a crack head in need of a hit... :crazy:

Smileysquared
02-06-2008, 08:21 PM
I am very sorry to hear that you are stressed out. You really have no option other than to wait until the universities themselves are finished with the processing of those applications. Don't worry it will be over soon and I'm sure you will have many options to choose from you will be wondering why you were ever worrying in the first place. Try to think only of good things-it is believed that we create our entire life through our thoughts. Think great things...you have worked hard and your work will pay off. I know it is difficult but worrying doesn't help do anything except create more stress in your life.
Take care.

fp3690
02-06-2008, 08:31 PM
I would say that the real "minimum" score has indeed risen from 750. I would say it's 770 now (that is the highest official minimum score any graduate school has, and it's at UBC). Last year someone with a 770 got into Harvard.

I noticed that some schools that are outside of the top ten but want to be in the top 10 put undue emphasis on GRE scores. Duke and Maryland, for example, basically say that if your GRE Q is not 800 that you're out of the running. Their loss.

I think Berkeley also has an "official" 770 limit. BTW, is that true for Duke and Maryland, or is it just conjecture?

econphilomath
02-06-2008, 08:33 PM
I am very sorry to hear that you are stressed out. You really have no option other than to wait until the universities themselves are finished with the processing of those applications. Don't worry it will be over soon and I'm sure you will have many options to choose from you will be wondering why you were ever worrying in the first place. Try to think only of good things-it is believed that we create our entire life through our thoughts. Think great things...you have worked hard and your work will pay off. I know it is difficult but worrying doesn't help do anything except create more stress in your life.
Take care.

Thanks for the kind words... I do feel pretty confident about getting in somewhere, its just that after waiting for so long for this moment, you just can help but stress...

econphilomath
02-06-2008, 08:34 PM
I think Berkeley also has an "official" 770 limit. BTW, is that true for Duke and Maryland, or is it just conjecture?

I think all the California universities have some sort of limit, also on the AWA I think its like 4.5 or 4.0.

Smileysquared
02-06-2008, 08:50 PM
I understand but you have to try, don't let it consume you to such an extent that it becomes your life......

econphilomath
02-06-2008, 08:53 PM
I understand but you have to try, don't let it consume you to such an extent that it becomes your life......

too late...:mad:

maya.arco
02-06-2008, 09:05 PM
do you guys think that verbal gre for internationals can be mean the cut?

Olm
02-06-2008, 09:30 PM

conjecture from viewing their websites, looking at profiles of those accepted and rejected, and seeing their posted admissions statistics.

Mr.Keen
02-06-2008, 10:42 PM
I know people at Maryland with 750 Q, admitted for Fall 2007. No research experience and no real analysis (I know at least one of his LORs was strong).

semischolastic
02-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Similarly, I know a student at Duke with a quant score of 740-760. It's not a game ender, necessarilly, but you need to be able to make it up somehow.