PDA

View Full Version : Advice: early graduation

jmp9x
02-07-2008, 12:32 AM
Howdy,

I am a junior at a top 30 US university majoring in Economics and History with a minor in Math. Inspired by a class in economic development I had last year, I've been lurking, gathering as much info about Economics PhD programs. This site has been invaluable (thanks y'all) and I have a question:

I have enough credit to graduate a semester early. Being able to leave early would help my folks financially, and pushing my life six months head would be a boon as well. I've completed an econ major concentrating in international economics with some econometric courses (3.75), and have completed calculus sequence, linear, ODE, and real analysis so far (3.95+). My last semester I will take math prob, maybe more real analysis--any other math I should take?

The only thing I will miss graduating early is the ability to graduate with honors i.e. no undergrad thesis. Is this worth sticking around for. Can it be made up by working as an RA somewhere? I currently do some basic research for a professor.

Thanks for any advice

jmp9x
02-07-2008, 12:41 AM
To clarify, I want to do graduate work in econ--just not right away (2 year hiatus to work and develop interests). During this hiatus I plan to take math courses part-time to improve my profile and keep my mind sharp. I'm wondering if undergrad honors is worth another semester, or if it is surpassed by RAing for a respected professor or institution over that same time period.

TruDog
02-07-2008, 12:43 AM
If you can spend a period of time doing an internship or short RA position, then it's a good idea to graduate early. Undergraduate theses are pretty much overrated in my opinion if you have the math background.

C152dude
02-07-2008, 12:54 AM
Undergraduate theses are pretty much overrated in my opinion if you have the math background.

Maybe true, but let's not forgot about the LOR that could follow.