PDA

View Full Version : Federal financial aid (loans etc)?

pevdoki1
02-07-2008, 03:10 AM
My question is simple:

Though I won't go anywhere without funding, I'd like to give some of my relatives a little bit of the money I owe them ($5000). I'd rather owe money to the government than a real person, and if I can avoid subtracting this money from my funding package, I will gladly do so :).

Thus, an opportunity to get a federal loan would be nice. I only received financial aid (pretty ****** aid, might I add) as an undergraduate, and I wonder if I would be eligible for some subsidized loans as a grad student.

Golden Rule
02-07-2008, 03:15 AM
Others correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure no school is going to give you access to Stafford Loans or Perkins Loans if they're fully funding you already.

notacolour
02-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Well, the answer depends on how the school is funding you. I currently get some of my funding through a fellowship--which is paid directly to my account each semester and takes away from general aid eligibility--and some through an assistantship--which I get each month, and which does not count towards my aid cap. Hence, I am still eligible for some Stafford loans.

pevdoki1
02-07-2008, 10:36 PM
I see. Thanks, notacolour!