PDA

View Full Version : Cornell AEM: Anyone knows anything about them ?

asianeconomist
02-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Hello everybody,

Does anyone have any information on this program (Admission rates, future paths, reputation) ? I have already applied to it, (as the information in the website convinced me that it would be a good match) but am now a bit apprehensive about my decision. Responses would be appreciated.

Regards.

P.S. I am re-writing this thread hoping that the newer members would have more information on the issue.

AstralTraveller
02-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Does anyone have any information on this program (Admission rates, future paths, reputation) ? I have already applied to it, (as the information in the website convinced me that it would be a good match) but am now a bit apprehensive about my decision. Responses would be appreciated.

Well, I thought it might have been a nice match as well, given it's still a Cornell program, but looking at the website more closely, I desisted from applying based on: 1) It seemed to me that admits were to the Master's first, later to the PhD (and I'm not willing to pursue a second master's only to find out I would have to apply to the PhD again); 2) The program seemed closer in emphasis to Agricultural Econ rather than to Managerial Economics (as the "Applied Economics and Management" title implies); and 3) the program didn't seem "research focused" enough, so I figured their after graduation placement wouldn't be that hot.

Since mine were only assumptions, I would appreciate any concrete evidence from anybody who knows better.

Thanks,
AT

skelsam
02-08-2008, 01:58 AM
I applied to that program as well. I don't know much about it, but the website insinuates that the placements are pretty good..

It does not require a masters prior to entry.

asianeconomist
02-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Well, I thought it might have been a nice match as well, given it's still a Cornell program, but looking at the website more closely, I desisted from applying based on: 1) It seemed to me that admits were to the Master's first, later to the PhD (and I'm not willing to pursue a second master's only to find out I would have to apply to the PhD again); 2) The program seemed closer in emphasis to Agricultural Econ rather than to Managerial Economics (as the "Applied Economics and Management" title implies); and 3) the program didn't seem "research focused" enough, so I figured their after graduation placement wouldn't be that hot.

Since mine were only assumptions, I would appreciate any concrete evidence from anybody who knows better.

Thanks,
AT

Hey Astral: Nice list of schools. Admit from any one of these schools will be great ! You are also quite correct about the relative predilection of the AEM program towards "development" issues. But then again, that is what attracted me to the program in the first place.

The placements indeed seem to be good, probably it is attributable to the Cornell brand name.

Anyway, since none of us have any first-hand experience, we can only hypothesize. Hopefully someone who is more familiar with the program can corroborate.

skelsam; Have you applied to the Masters ?

AstralTraveller
02-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Hey Astral: Nice list of schools. Admit from any one of these schools will be great!

Thank you! :) Hope I will get admitted to at least one of them :luck2:

Anyway, since none of us have any first-hand experience, we can only hypothesize. Hopefully someone who is more familiar with the program can corroborate.

Yes! Please, if there's anybody who can deny the myths, confirm the facts, and contribute additional evidence about AEM, we would be really thankful.

In particular, I think Asianeconomist will be more thankful than me, because he actually applied there, and might get admitted. In my case is more a case of "should I have applied?", which is somewhat irrelevant at this point :blush:

I'm sure Cornell AEM is a great department. It's just that one can apply to a finite number of schools (and, in the end, can only attend one;))

skelsam
02-08-2008, 04:00 PM
No... I applied straight to the PhD program. You had me second guessing myself so I went back to my email and double checked that I met the requirements... haha.

denise_spcc
02-12-2008, 08:12 PM
I did my undergrad at Cornell AEM and got accepted to the MS program last year (but I decided to go somewhere else). Here's the info I got from my professors and the admission office:

1. Their research strength is empirical work in development.
2. They have strong placement record into international organizations (applied research positions).
3. The placement data on the website are pretty recent--from the past 2 years.
4. You don't need a MS to get admitted to PhD.
5. There is possibility of transferring from AEM to the Econ department in the College of Arts and Science.

I hope it's helpful.

skelsam
02-12-2008, 08:16 PM
thanks!

AstralTraveller
02-12-2008, 08:38 PM
I did my undergrad at Cornell AEM and got accepted to the MS program last year (but I decided to go somewhere else). Here's the info I got from my professors and the admission office:

1. Their research strength is empirical work in development.
2. They have strong placement record into international organizations (applied research positions).
3. The placement data on the website are pretty recent--from the past 2 years.
4. You don't need a MS to get admitted to PhD.
5. There is possibility of transferring from AEM to the Econ department in the College of Arts and Science.

I hope it's helpful.

Thanks a lot for your time!

It would have been really helpful back when I was doubtful about whether applying there or not. I should have applied :(

Anyway, it's my fault for not asking earlier. :rolleyes:

nervouslywaiting
03-04-2008, 06:07 AM
Any TM-ers applying to AEM PhD this year? Anyone has heard anything from them? I saw both an accept and a reject in thegradcafe. I emailed the grad secretary, she told me the committee has not yet finished reviewing all applicants, and I should hear in the next 2-3 weeks (the conversation was last week). Do they release the decision bit-by-bit?

asianeconomist
03-04-2008, 06:38 AM
Any TM-ers applying to AEM PhD this year? Anyone has heard anything from them? I saw both an accept and a reject in thegradcafe. I emailed the grad secretary, she told me the committee has not yet finished reviewing all applicants, and I should hear in the next 2-3 weeks (the conversation was last week). Do they release the decision bit-by-bit?

Browse through the Decisions 2008 thread. Someone in TM got an admit from AEM PhD.