PDA

View Full Version : Trying to understand Duke's reject/accept notices

AstralTraveller
02-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Dear all,

Since I am not applying to Duke's Econ department, I find it interesting to learn about the pattern of the notices given.

It seems not having to do with nationality or alphabet, so I'm guessing decisions could be related to certain specialty areas.

I would like to ask to those that have received notifications already from Duke: what specialty or subfield did you point out on your application? Maybe the ad-com members have divided the decision task by subdiscipline, and as they finish, they notify candidates.

This is just a conjecture, but maybe it works....;)

AT

Chumi
02-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Macroeconomics/development/trade/applied econometrics.... rejected!

Probably the main reason was my GRE (i.e. 770) because I had strong LoR and a very good master degree in economics from a well known university (with many former students that are doing pretty well at Duke).

Anyway, as we say in my country "el que rie ultimo, rie mejor"... I hope so! I really hate this proccess....

econphilomath
02-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Anyway, as we say in my country "el que rie ultimo, rie mejor"... I hope so! I really hate this proccess....

That is an appropriate saying...(He who laughs last, laughs best)
Meaning: You may laugh now, thinking you have won, but you may not prevail in the end.

But when is the end? I would say after winning big in the job market!

Another saying (in the US) that might be helpful, especially in Febuary!

"It isn't over until the fat lady sings"

Mr.Keen
02-07-2008, 08:57 PM

I really hate this process, too. The way things are, as long as I get to laugh, I don't care if it's sooner or later. :(

Mr.Keen
02-07-2008, 08:59 PM
"It isn't over until the fat lady sings"

Or like the good Lenny Kravitz would say: 'Baby, it ain't over 'til it's over" ... deep, :hmm:. Lol.

econphilomath
02-07-2008, 09:05 PM
The proverbial "Fat Lady" in this case would be the administrative secretary...

or in Yale's case, that Patrick kid...

AstralTraveller
02-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Any other rejects (or our one accept so far) care to tell us their declared field of expertise to Duke.

AT

PS: Hope no one has anything against fat ladies, or fat people in general....I say it as a former fat guy. ;)

filroz
02-07-2008, 09:38 PM
macro, if it helps

semischolastic
02-07-2008, 10:02 PM
I got in, applied micro.

Karina 07
02-07-2008, 10:03 PM
Dear all,

Since I am not applying to Duke's Econ department, I find it interesting to learn about the pattern of the notices given.

It seems not having to do with nationality or alphabet, so I'm guessing decisions could be related to certain specialty areas.

I would like to ask to those that have received notifications already from Duke: what specialty or subfield did you point out on your application? Maybe the ad-com members have divided the decision task by subdiscipline, and as they finish, they notify candidates.

This is just a conjecture, but maybe it works....;)

AT

I would doubt it. They should know that people change their minds about their fields. I haven't been following what they've been doing, but I would guess that either it's based on order of completion of the file, or maybe they divided the folders up into groups to go between faculty randomly, and different faculty have just been taking different times going through them. Just my guess.

Mr.Keen
02-07-2008, 10:06 PM
What Karina says sounds very logical and likely. However, it is interesting that there have been rumors that the macro group is about to take a serious blow (Uribe and Schmitt-Grohe leaving) and it is a fact that Duke's applied micro group is the strongest in the department and it's where the most hires have taken place. (I used the term applied micro quite loosely).

Olm
02-08-2008, 01:52 AM
Macroeconomics/development/trade/applied econometrics.... rejected!

Probably the main reason was my GRE (i.e. 770) because I had strong LoR and a very good master degree in economics from a well known university (with many former students that are doing pretty well at Duke).

The first TM admit to Duke had a 770Q.

econphilomath
02-08-2008, 12:32 PM
So much for the famed quant restriction at Duke....

maya.arco
02-08-2008, 12:45 PM
rejection: could be bc of extremly low verbal. my interests were monetary economics, dev.economics, macro...

well...more luck next time. hopefully:D

Mr.Keen
02-08-2008, 04:41 PM
No news for me. I'm too hungover to freak out. Last night I tried to forget about this ordeal with the help of some fine Mexican beer, :). It actually worked, and I even ended up meeting Omar Rodriguez from the Mars Volta. Should've waited for the weekend, though.

Mr.Keen
02-08-2008, 05:10 PM
... order of completion of the file ...:hmm:. Hadn't really thought about it. All my apps were completed at the last minute. Now I'm freaked out... and hungover.:crazy:

Olm
02-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Two more Duke admits on Gradcafe today, both internationals.

bertthepuppy
02-08-2008, 05:43 PM
It cannot be order of submission of the aps. I submitted way early (by the cheaper deadline) and haven't heard yet. Don't freak out Mr. Keen. Only a few admits have gone out. Tons of rejections have gone out...your odds aren't too bad at this point, you're still in the running.

Mr.Keen
02-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Thanks, bertthepuppy!

Mr.Keen
02-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Another Duke international admit.

mysherona
02-12-2008, 01:32 PM
More Duke rejections on thegradcafe.com! This early in the day?

dr_Shpak
02-12-2008, 08:42 PM
Another Duke international reject. ....now it is me :) :(

econphilomath
02-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Sorry to hear that dr_Shpak, I'm sure somthing else will come up. Its still early in the game. :)

We at least know now that one of the gradcafe entries is real.

filroz
02-12-2008, 09:10 PM
Another Duke international reject. ....now it is me :) :(
welcome to the party :)

nervouslywaiting
02-13-2008, 07:16 AM
so... can we now conclude that Duke's notification sequence is a random stochastic process, and that the P(notified early) is basically equal for everyone?

econphilomath
02-13-2008, 01:15 PM
so... can we now conclude that Duke's notification sequence is a random stochastic process, and that the P(notified early) is basically equal for everyone?

I am starting to think they do the following: There is a big pile of applications and starting form the top, they review and say, in or out. If its out the secretary updates the profile and sends out emails. If its in, the same.

The adcom gets together every now and then to keep lowering the pile and thats why we get hit by waves of rejects/admits every couple of days. I know of three people who already got rejects from my country. No admits.

iugi85
02-13-2008, 01:53 PM
I know of three people who already got rejects from my country. No admits.

I did not apply to Duke, but at my university one person got an acceptance and another is still waiting... yes, i vote for the random stochastic process theory :)

bertthepuppy
02-13-2008, 02:11 PM
I just joined the "party" as well. Rejected from Duke.

AstralTraveller
02-13-2008, 02:26 PM
I just joined the "party" as well. Rejected from Duke.

Sad to hear that. Duke is a dream school for a very close friend, and it was the most reasonable assumption for us he'd get in. So far no news, so the guy is near breakdown :(

polkaparty
02-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Wow, 7 new gradcafe posts for Duke, and it's only 9:30 AM their time....

bertthepuppy
02-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Mine was sent at 8:56 if it's any help for your analysis. It seems like some secretaries were on top of it this morning?

MzSunshine
02-13-2008, 02:44 PM
My reject notification came 9:01. Way to start the day...

nervouslywaiting
02-13-2008, 04:29 PM
8:56 Duke Standard Rejection Time.

decision2008
02-13-2008, 04:58 PM
I was checking thegradcafe and was trying to make some sense out of these Duke decisions. Seems like a weekly process where the admission admin send out rejects middle of the week, and accepts are sent Friday. Maybe some acceptance are sent by professors (those lucky ones, esp with fellowship offers/submission) and Friday seems to be a light day.

Mr.Keen
02-13-2008, 05:17 PM
We keep seeing a lot of strong profiles being rejected. I wouldn't be so worried about a rejection from Duke if it really comes as a surprise.

Luckykid
02-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Duke Standard Rejection Time.

:tup:

Mr.Keen
02-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Looking at Gradcafe it seems like there have been 4 admits for about 36 rejections. Most admits were sent on Thursday and Friday (as decision2008 noted).

Antonio
02-13-2008, 06:15 PM
We keep seeing a lot of strong profiles being rejected. I wouldn't be so worried about a rejection from Duke if it really comes as a surprise.

I think Duke's results will be finished by the end of the week: so, if you have not received yet a rejection, you should have very good odds for an admission offer. Best of luck!

econphilomath
02-13-2008, 06:31 PM
Check out Dukes application and admission statistics at the link below.
Last year, 400 applied, 62 got admits, 1 to 3 female, 1 to 400 Hispanic Americans, 2 to 400 African American.

Most notable: 67% of applicants were foreign, while 47% admits were foreign.

Duke Admission statistics
(http://www.gradschool.duke.edu/about_us/statistics/admitecon.htm)

Mr.Keen
02-13-2008, 07:51 PM
They keep sending out more rejections! Check the decisions thread.

decision2008
02-13-2008, 08:11 PM
I think Duke's results will be finished by the end of the week: so, if you have not received yet a rejection, you should have very good odds for an admission offer. Best of luck!

I was one of those that did not receive a rejection this morning... too early in the day to make the call on the results before I get a rejection 2:45pm. Guess the person responsible for that has a long stack and needed a break.

Mr.Keen
02-13-2008, 08:39 PM
I was one of those that did not receive a rejection... too early in the day to call before I get a rejection 2:45pm. Guess the person responsible for that has a long stack and needed a break.

I don't get this. You called the department? I'm sorry, I'm kind of idiotized right now.

Those who applied to Duke and are still waiting, please identify yourselves.

decision2008
02-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Sorry Mr. Keen, I was referring to Antonio's comment about whoever still in has a good chance to be admitted. As the day's rejection was not over when he posted. I just got email notifying that I was rejected.

Sorry for the confusion.

ward
02-13-2008, 08:52 PM
I am still waiting to hear from Duke

I keep checking my e-mail even though I'm afraid of what I might find in there. I really wish they would send out a mass rejection/admit e-mail on the same day. That would make this a lot less stressful.

Mr.Keen
02-13-2008, 08:55 PM
I am still waiting to hear from Duke

I keep checking my e-mail even though I'm afraid of what I might find in there. I really wish they would send out a mass rejection/admit e-mail on the same day. That would make this a lot less stressful.

I feel you. But they have rolling admissions so I guess it makes sense.

Mr.Keen
02-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Sorry Mr. Keen, I was referring to Antonio's comment about whoever still in has a good chance to be admitted. As the day's rejection was not over when he posted. I just got email notifying that I was rejected.

Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry to hear that decision2008. Thanks for clarifying.

Nymaj
02-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Still waiting to hear from duke. I check my email every half an hour on the hour. Can't wait until I hear something rather admitted or rejected.

polkaparty
02-13-2008, 09:35 PM
I feel you. But they have rolling admissions so I guess it makes sense.

I'm pretty sure they don't have rolling admissions. Not sure what you're talking about....

Mr.Keen
02-13-2008, 09:46 PM
I'm pretty sure they don't have rolling admissions. Not sure what you're talking about....

I'm sorry. Aid offers are made on a rolling basis.

AstralTraveller
02-13-2008, 09:50 PM
On a subtly (un)related topic:

A very good friend from college just received an admissions offer from Duke's Fuqua (Marketing PhD). I'm really glad for him. :tup:

All I want right now is to be accepted at my own Fuqua application (or anywhere else I applied to, regardless of anything).

Fuqua is super cool, and their Marketing program is very highly econ/IO oriented.

polkaparty
02-13-2008, 09:51 PM
I'm sorry. Aid offers are made on a rolling basis.

Ah. Anyway, Duke really cleaned up today, I wonder how much longer this is going to last.

I didn't realize their admission rate was so low--thanks for pointing out that data econphilomath. I suppose they're willing to risk low yields like 05-06 (9 matriculants) and 98-99 (9 matriculants)

Mr.Keen
02-13-2008, 09:52 PM
From the website:

"
When the candidate's admissions file is complete, the Graduate School sends the file to the Economics Department. It is reviewed by a committee chaired by the Director of Graduate Admissions. Aid offers are made on a rolling basis, as funds permit, beginning in late-February. Of the approximately 20 new Ph.D. students each year, 90% or more are supported by Duke, and the remainder are either supported by external funding sources or are self-supported. The Department attempts to develop partial aid programs for such self-supported students through hourly payment for grading papers or tutoring. Loans and work-study funds, in limited amounts, are available also. Students who are projected to be successful Ph.D. candidates are generally offered aid in the form of scholarships, teaching assistantships, or research assistantships for the second year and beyond. "

It is almost 5:00 P.M. in Durham. It seems the Duke monster has stopped its massacre for today.

Mr.Keen
02-13-2008, 10:36 PM
In case the Duke monster comes to get me, I know have a long horn to defend me.

mysherona
02-13-2008, 10:40 PM
In case the Duke monster comes to get me, I know have a long horn to defend me.

Good for you! Congrats! I haven't heard from Duke, either.

Mr.Keen
02-13-2008, 10:42 PM

Thanks!

bertthepuppy
02-14-2008, 12:05 AM
I think a longhorn could kick a blue devils a$$ any day!

AstralTraveller
02-14-2008, 12:14 AM

It's funny that we are congratulating each other for *not* having received news from Duke.

But, given the catastrophic circumstances, congrats indeed, you fighting candidates. :)

Mr.Keen
02-14-2008, 12:50 AM
thanks bertthepuppy! I think so too.

Astral traveler, I think mysherona was congratulating me on my Austin admit

needeconhelp
02-14-2008, 03:42 AM
The Duke Monster is coming for me tomorrow, I am not going to check my e-mail. evil hahaha.

AstralTraveller
02-14-2008, 03:48 AM
The Duke Monster is coming for me tomorrow, I am not going to check my e-mail. evil hahaha.

Can't help but thinking that the "Duke Monster" is some sort of medieval multiheaded giant insect under the service of the village's duke. Scary, huh? :p

polkaparty
02-14-2008, 03:56 AM
Can't help but thinking that the "Duke Monster" is some sort of medieval multiheaded giant insect under the service of the village's duke. Scary, huh?

He's actually pretty scary looking....

http://www.rodgersellers.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/duke-logo.jpg

needeconhelp
02-14-2008, 05:01 AM
Can't help but thinking that the "Duke Monster" is some sort of medieval multiheaded giant insect under the service of the village's duke. Scary, huh? :p

Great imagination:D. I just imagine "Duke Monster" to be like Godzilla, demolishing the buildings in Manhattan where each building symbolizes our individual hope.:(

dr_Shpak
02-14-2008, 08:58 AM
GREAT Picture. Admited students could put it on avatar like saying "I survived this guy"

polkaparty
02-14-2008, 02:20 PM
Well it's about 9:20 Duke's time so I think the all out carnage has quelled a little bit. At least it's not as bad as it was this time yesterday.

Mr.Keen
02-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Chili con carnage: mr.keen is out at Duke.

econphilomath
02-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Sorry to hear that...

Isn't it good to have that admit before getting the rejection!

dr_Shpak
02-14-2008, 03:11 PM
sorry Mr Keen :(

By the way , how to put "Sig" in a post ? like you did.

Letsgowings20
02-14-2008, 03:48 PM
I think its amazing how graduate schools can act completely different with respect to rejecting/accepting students. UVA accepted a bunch of people first and will probably send out rejections soon. Duke, on the other hand, handled their applications much differently.

Mr.Keen
02-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Sorry to hear that...

Isn't it good to have that admit before getting the rejection!

Man, I was thinking exactly that. My wife is actually very happy and excited about the possibility of moving to Austin, and having Durham out of the picture.;)

Nymaj
02-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Guess, i won't know if I survived another day of the Duke Monster....my email server is down for the next 24 hours. :doh: How do I create a SIG? I can't find the option in my TestMagic.

Mr.Keen
02-14-2008, 06:32 PM
Go to MyTestMagic. On the Control Panel on your left. The first option under settings & options says Edit Signature. Click on it.

Nymaj
02-14-2008, 07:07 PM
I don't have that option on my control panel. Guess today is not my day for anything web related.

filroz
02-14-2008, 07:55 PM
concerning the signature, I cannot find it either. Maybe you need some number of posts (100?) before the system will allow that option.. but I dont know...

AstralTraveller
02-14-2008, 08:19 PM
concerning the signature, I cannot find it either. Maybe you need some number of posts (100?) before the system will allow that option.. but I dont know...

Yes, indeed. That is why you can see my sig right now ;)

econphilomath
02-14-2008, 08:20 PM
So when you click on MyTestMagic, in the topleft hand you do not have this:

Control Panel (http://www.urch.com/forums/../usercp.php)
Settings & Options
Edit Signature (http://www.urch.com/forums/../profile.php?do=editsignature)
Edit Email & Password (http://www.urch.com/forums/../profile.php?do=editpassword)
Edit Profile (http://www.urch.com/forums/../profile.php?do=editprofile)
Edit Options (http://www.urch.com/forums/../profile.php?do=editoptions)
Edit Avatar (http://www.urch.com/forums/../profile.php?do=editavatar)
Edit Profile Picture (http://www.urch.com/forums/../profile.php?do=editprofilepic)

AstralTraveller
02-14-2008, 08:21 PM
So when you click on MyTestMagic, in the topleft hand you do not have this:

Control Panel (http://www.urch.com/forums/../usercp.php)
Settings & Options
Edit Signature (http://www.urch.com/forums/../profile.php?do=editsignature)
Edit Email & Password (http://www.urch.com/forums/../profile.php?do=editpassword)
Edit Profile (http://www.urch.com/forums/../profile.php?do=editprofile)
Edit Options (http://www.urch.com/forums/../profile.php?do=editoptions)
Edit Avatar (http://www.urch.com/forums/../profile.php?do=editavatar)
Edit Profile Picture (http://www.urch.com/forums/../profile.php?do=editprofilepic)

Not until you reach 100 posts :blush:

Andronicus
02-14-2008, 08:25 PM
I couldn't do a sig until my number of posts was strictly greater than 100. I tried at 100 exactly, and got nothing. At 101, there it was.

AstralTraveller
02-14-2008, 08:52 PM
dr_shpak: you have to wait...
but we can at least talk about it :D

I can almost see Filroz replying to anything for his next 13 posts :hmm: ;)

Nymaj
02-14-2008, 09:21 PM
Another one bites the dust.....the Duke Monster strikes again. :(

Mr.Keen
02-14-2008, 09:23 PM
Another one bites the dust.....the Duke Monster strikes again. :(

Sorry to hear that, man. Oh well, UT Austin is so sweet.

ward
02-14-2008, 10:23 PM
Assuming that the Duke Rejection Monster goes to sleep at 5:00pm EST, it looks like I have survived to wait another day (or more).

econphilomath
02-15-2008, 01:30 AM
Assuming that the Duke Rejection Monster goes to sleep at 5:00pm EST, it looks like I have survived to wait another day (or more).

It must be lonley out there in the woods, all alone, not sure if your in or out, and with the big bad Duke monster lurking about... and its starting to get dark...gulp!

IMO, if you make it through the week, I'd bet your in.

AstralTraveller
02-15-2008, 01:40 AM
IMO, if you make it through the week, I'd bet your in.

Nah...if this thread has been successful in any way, is to teach us that the behavior of the Duke Monster is completely random. It accepts people now, and eats 20 the next minute. I wouldn't build any confidence interval to forecast the monster's behavior.

You are not safe until you are in! :devil:

ward
02-15-2008, 02:02 AM
You are not safe until you are in! :devil:.

Agreed. To quote the great Lenny Karvitz, "It ain't over till it's over"

Andronicus
02-15-2008, 02:07 AM
Agreed. To quote the great Lenny Karvitz, "It ain't over till it's over"

I have to stick up for my man Yogi.

econphilomath
02-15-2008, 02:10 AM
I'll take bets 3 to 1,... there just aren't enough people out there left to reject!

macroeconomicus
02-15-2008, 03:51 AM
To answer the original question, I think Duke is using the accept-reject algorithm...

dr_Shpak
02-15-2008, 01:35 PM
Do you now if new accept on the gradcafe is real ? looks very strange.

econphilomath
02-15-2008, 01:49 PM
I think it is fake.

If you take a look at the data i linked earlier, average quant gre at Duke fluctuates between aprox 800 and 780 in the last three years. A 720q is way too low. Also the verbal of 320 is ridiculous compared to the average of more than 550. Lets just ignore the gpa...

Also, this is an international who talks like this:" Duke RUlEZZZZ!!! see ya there dudes" ?? Maybe if he watches movies/MTV/The Simpson's all day. (not hard evidence but adds to my hunch)

Also on the 11th there was no Duke activity so far as we know...

Seems to me like someone who is really bored/stupid.

econphilomath
02-15-2008, 01:51 PM
To answer the original question, I think Duke is using the accept-reject algorithm...

Me too, they just take each applicant and accept reject until its all over. They probably set an acceptance criteria such that given their past experience they will end up with 60-70 admits.

Nymaj
02-15-2008, 01:53 PM
My understanding of Duke admissions process is that they really look at the other schools you apply to. If it's someone where like Maryland, Texas, or another similarly rank school that the feel you would get accepted: the reject you. They have a certain kind of student that they look for, so they make a couple of reaches but they have a pretty good idea of who will move to durham over other competing schools.

Antonio
02-15-2008, 02:09 PM
My understanding of Duke admissions process is that they really look at the other schools you apply to. If it's someone where like Maryland, Texas, or another similarly rank school that the feel you would get accepted: the reject you. They have a certain kind of student that they look for, so they make a couple of reaches but they have a pretty good idea of who will move to durham over other competing schools.

What do you mean ???

Duke is the lowest ranked school to which I applied and they rejected me...I feel very scared about the others...c'mon if I have been rejected from Duke how can I expect to have good news from Yale or Berkeley ?

econphilomath
02-15-2008, 02:51 PM
What do you mean ???

Duke is the lowest ranked school to which I applied and they rejected me...I feel very scared about the others...c'mon if I have been rejected from Duke how can I expect to have good news from Yale or Berkeley ?

Maybe they thought you would not go to Duke because you would get accepted somewhere else.....:luck2:

tangsiuje
02-15-2008, 02:58 PM
My understanding of Duke admissions process is that they really look at the other schools you apply to.
How do they know that? :hmm:

polkaparty
02-15-2008, 03:04 PM
How do they know that?

It's an optional question on the application.

Nymaj
02-15-2008, 03:16 PM
What do you mean ???

Schools show up on your application and GRE Scores. The faculty members at Duke know where they are ranked compared to other quality programs. So if Duke is the lowest ranked school you applied and they feel that you are likely to get admitted somewhere else, why would they admit you. Duke offers funding to the majority of the people they accept, plus they are trying to move up in the rankings. To accomplish this they have to improve the faculty members and plus there placement records. A student that has a shot at Cornell, Wisconsin, Michigan, NYU and similarly rank schools will not go to Duke. Therefore they will not accept you. Now if they think that you may get accepted into one these schools but not funded then the probability of that student attending their program is higher. Thatís how they find the diamond in the rough. Also, Duke has a large problem with their best students going private especially in Macro (Asset Pricing and such). I think that something that they are trying to change as well. Yale and Berkely, I don't know.

macroeconomicus
02-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Schools show up on your application and GRE Scores. The faculty members at Duke know where they are ranked compared to other quality programs. So if Duke is the lowest ranked school you applied and they feel that you are likely to get admitted somewhere else, why would they admit you. Duke offers funding to the majority of the people they accept, plus they are trying to move up in the rankings. To accomplish this they have to improve the faculty members and plus there placement records. A student that has a shot at Cornell, Wisconsin, Michigan, NYU and similarly rank schools will not go to Duke. Therefore they will not accept you. Now if they think that you may get accepted into one these schools but not funded then the probability of that student attending their program is higher. That’s how they find the diamond in the rough. Also, Duke has a large problem with their best students going private especially in Macro (Asset Pricing and such). I think that something that they are trying to change as well. Yale and Berkely, I don't know.

I don't buy your claim about how Duke's admissions works. First, are you saying that Duke adcom thinks that they're not competitive with Cornell, Wisconsin, Michigan, Maryland, and even Texas? If anything, I am almost that sure these are exactly the kind of schools they have a very good shot at taking good students away from. I can see them figuring out that a great applicant who applied to NYU or MIT probably won't accept Duke, but Texas and Maryland? Come on.

Next thing you assume that they know for sure where you're applying, and I don't think that's necessarily the case. Finally, I don't think Duke is afraid of giving offers to applicants who are also applying to say higher ranked programs. Just because they're applying to higher ranked programs, they won't surely get an offer there, and not necessarily with funding. I think it's totally viable for someone (specially foreign applicants) to reject an unfunded offer from top 10 department to go to Duke with funding.

pevdoki1
02-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Yeah, seems like a bunch of baloney.

It would be completely unreasonable for Duke to reject a quality applicant just because he applied to Cornell and UT-Austin. Duke is a well-regarded program; people from Duke get top 10 placements. I'm sure they also have lots of $$$ so I think the rejections are a matter of how good of a fit you are for the department.

Nymaj
02-15-2008, 04:24 PM
I'm just giving information that was given to me from a couple of individuals from their faculty. Duke is alot people fall back school for those who apply to top 20 programs. Duke will reach for some students that might place in the top 15. But they look at student based off obviously merit, LOR, SOP, GRE. If they would really come to Durham. And how good of a fit is that student for their program. I don't thinks that to hard to believe. Rarely is Duke the number one program people apply to. I'm not saying that if you got into Maryland or Texas you wouldn't go to Durham. I would go to Duke over those two schools myself. Those are Duke competitors. I'm saying that they feel that if a student got into NYU or Mich, they wouldn't go to Durham. And adcom's have a good feel of what applicants will place where based on the schools applied to. This is based of their own past history with admitting students. Now if you prefer Duke to a higher rank program, that's your choice. But Duke have tried in the past to grab alot of students that could get admitted into top 15 schools and most of those student go to those top 15 schools. Duke is some where in the top 20-25 schools and they will tell you that. Michigan has somewhat the same process. They undersand where they are ranked (10-15) and try to get students based of who they believe will come and fit for program. Of course, conditional on merit, GRE, LOR, and SOP. And I'm just stating what I heard from the horses mouth. Rather you believe me or not, I understand.

Equilibrium
02-15-2008, 04:43 PM
well said, i'm giving reputation for that, something that is done not quite as much as is sometimes earned

Olm
02-15-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm just giving information that was given to me from a couple of individuals from their faculty. Duke is alot people fall back school for those who apply to top 20 programs. Duke will reach for some students that might place in the top 15. But they look at student based off obviously merit, LOR, SOP, GRE. If they would really come to Durham. And how good of a fit is that student for their program. I don't thinks that to hard to believe. Rarely is Duke the number one program people apply to. I'm not saying that if you got into Maryland or Texas you wouldn't go to Durham. I would go to Duke over those two schools myself. Those are Duke competitors. I'm saying that they feel that if a student got into NYU or Mich, they wouldn't go to Durham. And adcom's have a good feel of what applicants will place where based on the schools applied to. This is based of their own past history with admitting students. Now if you prefer Duke to a higher rank program, that's your choice. But Duke have tried in the past to grab alot of students that could get admitted into top 15 schools and most of those student go to those top 15 schools. Duke is some where in the top 20-25 schools and they will tell you that. Michigan has somewhat the same process. They undersand where they are ranked (10-15) and try to get students based of who they believe will come and fit for program. Of course, conditional on merit, GRE, LOR, and SOP. And I'm just stating what I heard from the horses mouth. Rather you believe me or not, I understand.

Duke was one of my top choices and I was rejected almost immediately...

:mad:

decision2008
02-16-2008, 01:55 PM
I actually liked Duke because of their applied economics and placement in industry as an alternative if academia/research flop for me. Applied to higher ranking school, but not likely to get admitted (do I count on them knowing my chances of getting in than myself or my LOR writer? I'd be happy if they think I could get into better school).

I would like to know the profiles of their admits.

Olm
02-16-2008, 05:37 PM
They post stats on their website. Typically, 3.7 undergrad GPA, 780 or 790 GRE Q. Strong LORS is what I'm thinking in terms of the unobservables.

kartelite
02-16-2008, 07:32 PM
You have to realize at a school like Duke, there will be a handful of people they really want to admit then a ton of others who are very hard to differentiate between, this is what people mean when talking about the "randommess," which of those people get in and which don't. It is very hard to produce an objective ranking of candidates so different schools will favor some people over others. I think Duke tries to identify which students are more likely to attend; I was doing a master's 20 miles away so they probably thought I may attend, and it probably would have been my second choice (given funding situations). If you are from California and applying to Stanford, Berkeley, UCSD, and UCLA, even if your profile is sufficient they may reject you.

I think there was a guy on here last year, mike[something], who got rejected from a whole host of schools in the 10-30 range and then got into Stanford.

the_asker
02-16-2008, 11:08 PM
Stories like mike[something]'s are always so heartwarming... Does anyone remember his TM nickname?

Duke's admission process, on the other hand, is really something. Is it possible that they are actually already done with the admits (3-4 of which are posted on TM)? By what has been said on these forums I don't know if I should be thrilled or quite despondent about the prospect of getting accepted into Duke (which means they don't think I'll make it elsewhere?). I guess it's best to see it as a win-win situation, for the meantime.

pevdoki1
02-16-2008, 11:15 PM
The second line of your sig doesn't make sense, the_asker.

You are saying that f is a function from the domain {list of schools} to {responses}

such that f is a function from {Ω} (the set with only one element) to :luck2: ( which doesn't even make sense because:luck2: is not a set). Even if you said {:luck2:}, however, you're specifying a different function (to which you simply happen to assign the same name, even if it is a completely different thing).

In effect, you are saying that f is a function such that f is a completely different function (which is a nonsensical statement)

What you should say is simply f(Ω)=:luck2:

mysherona
02-16-2008, 11:18 PM
What you should say is f(Ω)=:luck2:

Quite right. I like the overall idea, though.

I really hope Duke finishes off everything by early this week.

the_asker
02-16-2008, 11:26 PM
The second line of your sig doesn't make sense, the_asker.

Thanks for pointing this out! I knew there was something wrong, I just couldn't place my finger on it. Chalk it up to sleepless nights and my decaying knowledge of basic notation.

Although, f(Ω) isn't totally accurate either, is it? How do you express f(all single elements)? And just imagine how messy it would get when I receive my first decision.

I should rethink this.

pevdoki1
02-16-2008, 11:32 PM
If you want to be precise, f(Ω)=:luck2: for all Ω element of {Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Princeton, Chicago, Yale, NWU, NYU, Berkeley, UPenn, Columbia, Duke}, but in mathematics this is usually assumed once you specify the domain

pevdoki1
02-16-2008, 11:41 PM
When you get your first decision, you can make a composite function, i.e. h:{list of schools}->{}, h(omega)=g(f(Ω))=([bounce]) where g(:luck2:)=[bounce] (if :luck2: could yield two different outcomes, then this is not a function, so [B]you would be in good shape!!!) Here's to hoping the function g will be accurate in describing reality..

the_asker
02-16-2008, 11:45 PM
If you want to be precise, f(Ω)=:luck2: for all Ω element of {Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Princeton, Chicago, Yale, NWU, NYU, Berkeley, UPenn, Columbia, Duke}, but in mathematics this is usually assumed once you specify the domain

Yes, but doesn't that deviate from the traditional usage of Ω? And doesn't f(Ω) imply, in this case, that a single decision has been made on the whole set? I was trying to be cute but I think functional notation is inappropriate, after all. The schools all simply belong to 1 of 3 sets.

pevdoki1
02-16-2008, 11:48 PM
I don't know what traditional usage of Ω is, but it looks like you were trying to do something else completely than what you wrote down..

I simply said if Ω is a variable that can be any of the schools, and your function (for example, emotional response) of Ω is keeping your fingers crossed for getting in.

kartelite
02-16-2008, 11:49 PM
Stories like mike[something]'s are always so heartwarming... Does anyone remember his TM nickname?

Just looked it up, mikethechampion. Here's his results:

Admits:
Stanford (32k)
UCSD (no $)
BU (no$)
UPenn (waitlist)
Rejects: Harvard, Princeton, Berkeley, Northwestern, UCLA, Columbia, Brown, Cornell, Caltech

pevdoki1
02-16-2008, 11:50 PM
wow... that's a nice success story!!

the_asker
02-16-2008, 11:54 PM
I simply said if Ω is a variable that can be any of the schools, and your function (for example, emotional response) of Ω is keeping your fingers crossed for getting in.

Yes, I got this! It's just that Ω is almost always used to denote the whole set, especially one defined by listing. Thanks for your help pevdoki1. :D

And thanks kartelite, that's something I'll be holding on to in the next few weeks.

pevdoki1
02-17-2008, 12:14 AM
So you were trying to create a function of a set?? Yuck!!

The only place where I know this is possible is abstract algebra (i.e. in factor rings - sets composed of sets of the form r + I, where r is an element of the ring R and I is an ideal of R)

the_asker
02-17-2008, 12:17 AM
I submit for your approval, my new sig!

pevdoki1
02-17-2008, 12:17 AM
Looks excellent! http://www.urch.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbs-up-nomi.gif

the_asker
02-17-2008, 12:18 AM
The only place where I know this is possible is abstract algebra

Topology, too!

Thanks LOL I am so much happier with this, you helped a lot! [clap]

Karina 07
02-17-2008, 06:14 AM
Nevermind....

econphilomath
02-18-2008, 08:56 PM
You guys are nerds...

Anyway, there is a Duke admit on thegradcafe. What is going on at Duke...

AstralTraveller
02-18-2008, 09:04 PM
A question for those who already received their decisions from Duke....

Who did tell you about your rejection/acceptance? The Graduate School, or the Econ Department?

One of my best friends has not been eaten by the Duke Monster up to this point, and is really worried about his current status. So, please, let us know.

Thank you so much

AT

ward
02-18-2008, 09:36 PM
One of my best friends has not been eaten by the Duke Monster up to this point, and is really worried about his current status. So, please, let us know.AT

Yes!! Please let us know. I have avoided the monster thus far and would like to know what is going on. Especially now that NYU is, most likely, no longer an option for me.

mysherona
02-18-2008, 09:58 PM
I just received my acceptance! E-mail from graduate school to check ApplyYourself portal. That's it.

ward
02-18-2008, 10:02 PM
Congrats Mysherona!

Nymaj
02-18-2008, 10:08 PM
congrats

umdist
02-18-2008, 10:14 PM
congrats

Ecorleone
02-18-2008, 10:18 PM
Congrats, great admit!!!

A question to the ones that have been rejected from Duke: You also received an email from the graduate School, or from the Economics Departement?

PS: The waiting is driving me crazy!!!

maya.arco
02-18-2008, 10:59 PM
i think you will receive an email saying that you have to check the decision on the webiste. good luck to all of you!

Ecorleone
02-18-2008, 11:03 PM
So, it is a standard email: "check the decision on the website"

Receiving it doesn’t mean anything good by itself then...

econphilomath
02-18-2008, 11:48 PM
So, it is a standard email: "check the decision on the website"

Receiving it doesnít mean anything good by itself then...

Scary....:(

umdist
02-18-2008, 11:58 PM
somebody says that the mail come to spams. and it was accept.

ward
02-19-2008, 12:56 AM
Does anyone think that it would be worth e-mailing the Graduate Director to enquire about application status if I don't hear anything back later this week?

For example, to find out what the hell is going on? i mean, if i'm waitlisted or not, or.....????

econphilomath
02-19-2008, 02:00 AM
Does anyone think that it would be worth e-mailing the Graduate Director to enquire about application status if I don't hear anything back later this week?

For example, to find out what the hell is going on? i mean, if i'm waitlisted or not, or.....????

I doubt you will get rejected for it....:)

Ecorleone
02-19-2008, 02:24 AM

All decisions are at the graduate school now, they told me (Duke Econ) that we will be hearing from them this Friday at the most.
Be calm...(I am trying my best here, and I know it is very difficult!!)

AstralTraveller
02-19-2008, 02:26 AM
All decisions are at the graduate school now, they told me (Duke Econ) that we will be hearing from them this Friday at the most.
Be calm...(I am trying my best here, and I know it is very difficult!!)

I'm putting my bets on Ecorleone. He will beat the Duke Monster! Just don't ask me why...all I know is I feel it coming ;)

Go Ecorleone!

:luck2: :tup:

Ecorleone
02-19-2008, 02:37 AM
I wish there was a secondary market for applications...
I would change 14 pending results and 1 rejection (I hate Ithaca now!!) for the chance of being accepted into Duke Economics.

okGMAT
02-19-2008, 03:02 AM
I read all 14 pages of this thread from start to finish so that I could empathize with you all and your torturous adventure. You're all happy, or sad, or anxious, but no one is patient. Go have a few beers and relax, there is nothing you can do about it now. Pestering them with phone calls might make them take longer :doh:.

It's 9:59pm here in NC--DUKE time. And I have yet to do any studying because of this Admissions Soap Opera. Breathe ya'll--I need to study;; Duke resumes tomorrow.

Ecorleone
02-19-2008, 03:52 AM
Are you applying to Duke?

AstralTraveller
02-19-2008, 04:15 AM
Are you applying to Duke?

I assume okGMAT is not applying to Duke Econ, at least inferring from his/her nickname (Duke Econ does not accept GMAT).

Ecorleone
02-19-2008, 04:22 AM
AstralTraveller, Did you take the GMAT??

AstralTraveller
02-19-2008, 04:31 AM
AstralTraveller, Did you take the GMAT??

Yup! I sat for both GMAT and GRE (see my complete profile at the "Post Application Panic" thread at the Business PhD forum...that thread will reflex your current status very accurately ;))

Ecorleone
02-19-2008, 04:52 AM
That’s what I am trying to say... Taking the GMAT does not imply that you will not apply to Econ Programs.

the_asker
02-19-2008, 10:03 AM
Finally, f(Duke)=:tup:!

Just when I was about to flog myself for aiming too high and not picking any real safeties. My spirits really dampened when I found out that

P[f(NYU)=:doh:]>1-ε

So... What's good about Duke?

econphilomath
02-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Didnt I say something about surviving last week => admit???

Hmmmm

Congrats the_asker and the rest of you guys who managed to defeat the Duke Rejection Monster... now you can sit back and relax as the rest of the offers come through.

Ecorleone
02-19-2008, 02:48 PM

Just when I was about to flog myself for aiming too high and not picking any real safeties. My spirits really dampened when I found out that

hey, congrats!!!!

Can you post your profile?

Olm
02-19-2008, 05:32 PM
Congratulations, the asker! Awesome admit! [bounce][bounce][bounce]

Ecorleone
02-19-2008, 06:51 PM

Congrats!!!

...What's good about Duke?... Everything!

AstralTraveller
02-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Today we had another Duke Econ admit (Econdreamer, along with 3 super competitive top-tier programs!!!)

So much for the premise that "if you're too good, Duke will not accept you". I mean, if Econdreamer was worthy for Kellogg's MEDS, NYU's Econ, and Columbia's Finance@GSB, shouldn't that info be enough for Duke to reject him/her? :p

Now that rationale doesn't seem to make sense. I'm glad to see a good candidate getting in everywhere. It shows the system works :tup:

But.....what about the rest of the people waiting? :(

asquare
02-20-2008, 01:56 PM
AstralTraveller, I think Duke is looking for good matches, which is a multidimensional criterium. Part of that is being in the right "range" to be likely to attend, but another part is having research interests that are compatible with the school's strengths. Connections could come into play. And there could be other factors, too -- if you live near Duke, have co authored with someone there, or have something else in your profile that makes the admissions committee think you are likely to attend, that might work in your favor.

But in the end, I don't think we'll be able to figure out why Duke or any other school makes the decisions it does. Do you know Justice Stewart's statement about porn? He said he can't define it, but he knows it when he sees it. I think admissions committees work in the same way: they can't define exactly who will be accepted and who will be rejected, but even without precise formulas, they can recognize who they want to admit by looking at the whole application.

AstralTraveller
02-20-2008, 02:04 PM
AstralTraveller, I think Duke is looking for good matches, which is a multidimensional criterium. Part of that is being in the right "range" to be likely to attend, but another part is having research interests that are compatible with the school's strengths. Connections could come into play. And there could be other factors, too -- if you live near Duke, have co authored with someone there, or have something else in your profile that makes the admissions committee think you are likely to attend, that might work in your favor.

But in the end, I don't think we'll be able to figure out why Duke or any other school makes the decisions it does. Do you know Justice Stewart's statement about porn? He said he can't define it, but he knows it when he sees it. I think admissions committees work in the same way: they can't define exactly who will be accepted and who will be rejected, but even without precise formulas, they can recognize who they want to admit by looking at the whole application.

Well, Asquare.....that is the point I was trying to make exactly. When people was making conjectures about "if you're too good for them, you're out". That always sounded like B.S., if taken literally (like some people did). Duke is an excellent university, with a strong, competetitive doctoral program... it only seems obvious they are aiming for the best students possible, given the department's relative strengths and weaknesses. If they have to fight a candidate (who's interested on a field they are really strong at, for instance) with Harvard or Northwestern, then it's alright. It makes sense. They might even win a couple of admits over them, who knows?

One of my recommenders told me that they admitted (at his school, a top 25-35 program depending on the ranking) a candidate who was interested in either them or Wharton! The student ended up at Wharton, but according to the guy, it was a tough call, because his family was from the area where the other school was. So we have to "agree to agree" on this one. ;)

Ecorleone
02-20-2008, 02:38 PM
I totally agree with AstralTraveller.

asquare
02-20-2008, 02:55 PM
I think we're on the same page, AT ;)

ward
02-21-2008, 03:15 AM
finally, the wait is over....I got accepted today. have faith those who are still waiting and best wishes

econphilomath
02-21-2008, 11:45 AM
finally, the wait is over....I got accepted today. have faith those who are still waiting and best wishes

CONGRATS! get drunk, go crazy or indulge yourself in some sort of debauchery to celebrate that elusive admit from Duke...

I hate to say, "I told you", but ....too late!

Ecorleone
02-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Congrats!!!!!

... and when is my turn?

iugi85
02-21-2008, 04:05 PM

congrats!!

ward
02-21-2008, 08:36 PM
I hate to say, "I told you", but ...

Never again will I doubt the wisdom of econphilomath.

AstralTraveller
02-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Never again will I doubt the wisdom of econphilomath.

And then again...what can we do about Ecorleone, the sole survivor who hasn't yet been eaten by the monster or let inside the Duke's castle? :luck2:

AstralTraveller
02-21-2008, 08:44 PM
By the way....is there anybody out there waiting for the Fuqua PhD program besides me?