PDA

View Full Version : UVA decisions are made.. Wait a week :)

econphp06
02-07-2008, 08:34 PM
I have an inside information for all of us. University of Virginia decided 25 students for admissions and they will anounce it in a week...

I am going crazy :luck2::luck2:

apropos
02-07-2008, 08:36 PM
I suspect UVA has to make more than 25 offers if they want to recruit a class of 25 students, specially since this school is known not to offer full financial support packages at least to some admitted students.

econphilomath
02-07-2008, 08:38 PM
I have an inside information for all of us. University of Virginia decided 25 students for admissions and they will anounce it in a week...

I am going crazy :luck2::luck2:

:eek: ....==> :crazy:

econphp06
02-07-2008, 08:40 PM
I suspect UVA has to make more than 25 offers if they want to recruit a class of 25 students, specially since this school is known not to offer full financial support packages at least to some admitted students.

Yes you are right total 75 students ....

I am going crazy , I heard that a decision is made for my application and I hope that it is an admit because UVA sends admits earlier, send rejection later

loudandclear
02-07-2008, 08:42 PM
This is actually something I've been wondering about (generally speaking- I didn't apply to UVA). If they have made their decisions already, why are they waiting a week? I assume that if they mail the decisions, they will take a few days to arrive, but a week seems like a long time if they've already made up their minds.

econphp06
02-07-2008, 08:44 PM
This is actually something I've been wondering about (generally speaking- I didn't apply to UVA). If they have made their decisions already, why are they waiting a week? I assume that if they mail the decisions, they will take a few days to arrive, but a week seems like a long time if they've already made up their minds.

They send the decisions from Economics Department to Grad School.Hence it takes time

loudandclear
02-07-2008, 08:51 PM
They send the decisions from Economics Department to Grad School.Hence it takes time

Thanks. That makes sense.

YoungEconomist
02-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Yes you are right total 75 students ....

Does anybody know how many applications UVA received this year?

arieshion
02-07-2008, 09:12 PM
How can this happen?

Their deadline is FEB. 1...

econphp06
02-07-2008, 09:14 PM
Last year they sent admission decision on 2nd February

How can this happen?

Their deadline is FEB. 1...

arieshion
02-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Does this mean that the adcom makes decisions before the deadline?

And those who apply late are doomed?

pevdoki1
02-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Wow

I am excited :)

histuecon
02-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Go ahead and check the application status through the applyweb application service. My application status reads "admit"! UVA is not on the top of my list, but this is my first admit. I am siked!

arieshion
02-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Go ahead and check the application status on through the applyweb application service. My application status reads "admit"! UVA is not on the top of my list, but this is my first admit. I am siked!

congrats!

Dannyb19
02-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Last year UVA made offers to their "top" candidates first and then many more offers later. Last year, UVA receieved around 300 apps and admitted around 100 students, so the admit rate is pretty high. Its much harder to get funding from UVA though, if you get funding you should feel quite proud!

pevdoki1
02-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Great, now I'll spend 10-12 hours a day refreshing the applyweb site. Thanks a lot, histuecon :yuck:

arieshion
02-07-2008, 10:02 PM
mine says "pending"

a bad sign?

natvanhat
02-07-2008, 10:15 PM
mine says "pending"

a bad sign?

As does mine. Maybe it's about to be changed to admit! Congrats to everyone.

Dannyb19
02-07-2008, 11:38 PM
Don't worry too much, mine said pending for a long time, even after they had begun admitting the top candidates, and I was still admitted. Like I said, funding is a different ball game. But I did call the dept. to ask if my application had been reviewed and the admin lady (I forget her name) was very nice and told me to wait 30 seconds while she looked at the computer, then said I was in. I don't think I got an official letter for like 2 weeks after that. I think most schools frown on calling and asking your status, but she didn't seem to mind at all, and I got the impression a lot of others had called too, so if you can't wait, you can call tomorrow and find out. Good luck to all!

sonicskat
02-08-2008, 02:08 AM
Patty is the best here...she's the grad secretary and super nice. She got me into the gym here during math camp because I was not technically enrolled (because math camp is technically the first semester math class).

In my experience, they only hand out the aid offers they have. As people quickly decline offers, the hand them down to the next people on the list. The generally send out the first wave to the top candidates, and then send out the next wave (i think) at the open house.

This was my experience at least. I even know people in my class that were offered aid packages (including tuition waiver) a few weeks in to math camp.

Nice thing is...all of the upper level students here are funded one way or another, so once you get past your first year, it's highly likely you'll get the tuition wavier and stipend.

Best of luck with the admissions season coming

Luckykid
02-08-2008, 02:16 AM
Admission Status: Pending

My profile sucks but I hope my app. slipped into the right pile :fingerscrossed:

Roy

Fermat
02-08-2008, 05:40 PM
I just check my status today and it says admit as well, which changed from last night when it said pending. I also found out that I was admitted to the UVa Systems engineering department on Monday and received a call from the systems department saying I should receive my letter very soon, hopfully today. I'm quite excited as UVa is where I did my undergrad at. Let's hope for funding....

econphilomath
02-08-2008, 06:07 PM
I just check my status today and it says admit as well, which changed from last night when it said pending. I also found out that I was admitted to the UVa Systems engineering department on Monday and received a call from the systems department saying I should receive my letter very soon, hopfully today. I'm quite excited as UVa is where I did my undergrad at. Let's hope for funding....

Congrats!

jazzcon
02-08-2008, 06:35 PM
I just check my status today and it says admit as well, which changed from last night when it said pending.

Ditto on the admit from UVA.

AstralTraveller
02-08-2008, 07:54 PM
You are rocking this season! Congrats!

115th dream
02-08-2008, 09:28 PM
I'm in!

Luckykid
02-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Congrats everyone! I called the department because my apply web PW isn't working and they aren't sending me a new one. She said that all of the admits are not submitted yet but they are working on it!

econphp06
02-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Congrats everyone! I called the department because my apply web PW isn't working and they aren't sending me a new one. She said that all of the admits are not submitted yet but they are working on it!

This give me a little hope ... Please give answer : Admit or Reject... Is it diffucult to say if I was rejected by UVA

needeconhelp
02-09-2008, 03:53 PM
Did anyone get any news on funding?

Fermat
02-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Did anyone get any news on funding?

I have not yet received word. I got my admission email today. It was sent at 5am from the college of arts and sciences and was generic, but said the department would be in contact. Hopefully this week we get news on funding.

Letsgowings20
02-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Hey everyone,

I received my UVA acceptance letter in the mail today (Saturday) and it mentioned only one thing about funding: Many offers of financial aid are made in April and only the ones that get funding will be notified. Do most schools do this, or is it usually the case that your acceptance letter is accompanied with a fellowship/other type of aid award?

Letsgowings20
02-09-2008, 10:36 PM
The letter also gives a website with details on funding:

Graduate School of Arts & Sciences, U.Va. (http://artsandsciences.virginia.edu/grad/index.php)

needeconhelp
02-12-2008, 09:51 PM
I am in too. 2-0 for me so far.:). It sucks that they tell you about Financial Aid so late.

okcash
02-12-2008, 10:16 PM
I think I'm in too.

arieshion
02-12-2008, 10:31 PM
I'm in too.

Dr.moonlight
02-13-2008, 02:35 AM
Congrats to everyone who got in!
Seems like UVa already sent out enough admits considering that possibly a lot more people simply didn't post it on the Grad Cafe. (no idea how many they would be, though)
So, not having heard anything from them means my chances of being rejected is so high already??

Pathetic that I applied to all those schools we now see admits(or rejects) from (i.e. OSU, UVA, Duke), and so far I've got NO NEWS.

nervouslywaiting
02-13-2008, 02:56 AM
Congrats to everyone who got in!
Seems like UVa already sent out enough admits considering that possibly a lot more people simply didn't post it on the Grad Cafe. (no idea how many they would be, though)
So, not having heard anything from them means my chances of being rejected is so high already??

Pathetic that I applied to all those schools we now see admits(or rejects) from (i.e. OSU, UVA, Duke), and so far I've got NO NEWS.

I am worried to. I also applied to UVA and Duke and have yet to hear anything. There are around 20 UVA admits at thegradcafe. If 30% of applicants are using thegradcafe, then they have sent around 60 admits now, and I am not there yet.

So, should I now be officially gutted? :(

crazaa
02-13-2008, 04:03 AM
I am worried to. I also applied to UVA and Duke and have yet to hear anything. There are around 20 UVA admits at thegradcafe. If 30% of applicants are using thegradcafe, then they have sent around 60 admits now, and I am not there yet.

So, should I now be officially gutted? :(

No, I wouldn't be. Virginia (from what I recall, I could very well be wrong!) sends out admits in waves, and they tend to admit a pretty large group of students. Albeit, many are admitted without funding. I would imagine there's quite a few left to hand out. And as this whole thing moves along, remember- no news is weakly better than bad news

macroeconomicus
02-13-2008, 04:17 AM
I can confirm that Virginia decisions had been done and soon will be posted officially. Obama and McCain won the primaries.

AstralTraveller
02-13-2008, 04:19 AM
Obama and McCain won the primaries.

Does it have anything to do with admissions at UVA? Or am I too na´ve, and there's a joke I didn't get? :blush:

natvanhat
02-13-2008, 05:04 AM
Does it have anything to do with admissions at UVA? Or am I too naïve, and there's a joke I didn't get? :blush:

Obama and McCain are US presidential candidates.

AstralTraveller
02-13-2008, 10:39 AM
Obama and McCain are US presidential candidates.

Yup. I guess everybody knows that, and the mini-super tuesday, and the stuff. My question is what does it have to do with UVA, beyond the primaries being held in VA. :(

nervouslywaiting
02-13-2008, 10:42 AM
Yup. I guess everybody knows that, and the mini-super tuesday, and the stuff. My question is what does it have to do with UVA, beyond the primaries being held in VA. :(

I think the Democrat primaries and UVA admission process have one thing in common: we have to wait until the last minute to know who is finally nominated/admitted. :p

natvanhat
02-13-2008, 03:47 PM

Wow, I don't know what I thought you wrote, but this morning my response makes no sense. Sorry. :) I blame it on sleep deprivation.

AstralTraveller
02-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Wow, I don't know what I thought you wrote, but this morning my response makes no sense. Sorry. :) I blame it on sleep deprivation.

Naaah, don't worry. Same pathology here. Sad thing is, I have a deadline for my RA duties and can't stop procastinating :(

This waiting is killing me sloooooooowly.

econoshogun
02-13-2008, 07:07 PM
I called the UVA a few days ago.
Patty said there were two application groups in their pool.
The admission committee reviewed the first group, and sent some offers.
They will not review the other group until this Friday.
She said that they would send the second offers one or two weeks after that.

Fermat
02-13-2008, 07:11 PM

So funding decisions will come in one to two weeks? Or is there really no way of knowing?

Lantash
02-13-2008, 07:16 PM

THANK YOU, you give me hope again !! Do you have any idea how they made these 2 groups? what criteria was it based on?:rolleyes:

nervouslywaiting
02-13-2008, 11:24 PM

Thanks for the info. But how come so far of those who have heard from UVA I haven't seen any rejections (or only 1)? Or maybe those who are rejected don't bother to post at thegradcafe?

econoshogun
02-14-2008, 12:30 AM
It seems that they randomly selected the applications, or they might have separated them by ordering of arrivals.

sonicskat
02-15-2008, 05:22 AM
They send out the first wave of acceptances and aid offers...then they wait until the open house. Generally the top candidates for aid have applied to UVA as a safety, and will decline soon. At the open house (if you can make it) they informally begin the next wave of aid offers beginning at the reception that night. The offical next wave is sent via email (or snailmail) just after the open house. They will continue to make aid offers until April 15...literally till april 15.

However, it is possible to join the program without aid in April, and begin classes with a TAship in August...this happened to 1 person this year.

Trapped In an EW Box
02-15-2008, 06:34 AM
When does UVA send out its first-round aid offers? Does anyone know the range for these offers? Also - any TMer getting a nod for the Jefferson Fellowship there? Anyone have experience with this?

nervouslywaiting
02-15-2008, 08:18 AM
It seems that they randomly selected the applications, or they might have separated them by ordering of arrivals.

Can't be the ordering of arrivals. I submitted my application way long ago (because my recommenders needed to finalize things early).

To Sonikcsat -- when is the open house? Are you saying that there'll be no admission results between now an whenever the open house is?

Lantash
02-15-2008, 08:54 AM
Can't be the ordering of arrivals. I submitted my application way long ago (because my recommenders needed to finalize things early).

To Sonikcsat -- when is the open house? Are you saying that there'll be no admission results between now an whenever the open house is?

Maybe it is by topic of interest?

natvanhat
02-15-2008, 03:57 PM
So you guys are saying if your status is still "pending" you're not screwed?

adnormous
02-15-2008, 06:18 PM
I check my status zillions of times of UVA and it says "pending". It seems there is less and less hope now.

MzSunshine
02-15-2008, 06:38 PM
It doesn't look like they've made any financial aid offers even to their first round of admits yet, so adnormous, don't despair yet about not hearing anything - if it's still pending, it could go either way. Does anyone know when those first aid results should be coming out? And how many of their incoming first years do they support?

bojangles42124
02-15-2008, 07:12 PM

I submitted my application January 29th. My professors did not finish submitting the LORs until Sunday, February 3rd. Five days later on Friday, February 8th, the applyweb website showed my status as 'admit.'

Perhaps the last minute submissions got to be in their initial group?

adnormous
02-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Probably! I sent out my application sometime at the end of November and I still haven't got the result!

An interesting thing is that I just phoned the secretary and she said my file has been reviewed, and a letter would be sent to me early next week. I asked what was the admission result, but she replied "I am not allowed to release admission results by phone in this way!" So it seems I am out, otherwise why did she hold the answer??

octavio
02-15-2008, 07:50 PM
So it seems I am out, otherwise why did she hold the answer??

I wouldn't read into it. She probably just can't tell students about their admit status via phone. Wait a few days and see what the letter says!

pevdoki1
02-15-2008, 08:15 PM
Mine is still Pending. I will find it completely ridiculous if I get rejected from Virginia with 3.99 GPA, 800Q on the GRE, II semesters each of Real Analysis and Mathematical Statistics etc... :hmm:

I suppose that would mean one of my recommendations is completely ****** or something.

pevdoki1
02-15-2008, 08:37 PM
On that note, just got an acceptance e-mail.. lol.

fp3690
02-15-2008, 08:38 PM
pevdoki1, if you don't mind, I think that with such a profile, you are undershooting. Why didn't you apply to more top programs?

jazzcon
02-15-2008, 08:39 PM
I just received an email from Patty written by the Director of Graduate Studies giving details on the Open House and the way they give out funding.

I had already been admitted by word of the Graduate School.

pevdoki1
02-15-2008, 08:48 PM
pevdoki1, if you don't mind, I think that with such a profile, you are undershooting. Why didn't you apply to more top programs?

Because I know my profile would get my past the auto-reject pile, but I don't know about the rest.. I'm only 100% sure about 1 of my recommendations; I have no idea what I'm going to specialize in (and the SOP suffers as a result) etc. That said, I applied to at least a few programs one would consider top 20, so I didn't completely avoid the best schools.

Trapped In an EW Box
02-15-2008, 08:50 PM
Yay, just found out I'm in at UVA too :tup:

econphp06
02-15-2008, 09:16 PM
Mine still pending...

econphilomath
02-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Yay, just found out I'm in at UVA too :tup:

Congrats, Madam Atari!:tup:

Trapped In an EW Box
02-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Thanks, but that's Atari WOMAN :p He he! Funny, given the gender discussion in another thread on this forum! :D

Mr.Keen
02-15-2008, 09:55 PM
Congrats ATARI Lady!

econphilomath
02-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks, but that's Atari WOMAN :p He he! Funny, given the gender discussion in another thread on this forum! :D
Sorry, I tried not to participate in that discussion and look where it got me...
I fixed your congrats for the record...

Trapped In an EW Box
02-15-2008, 10:43 PM
Ha ha, thanks! :) And don't worry, I'm not THAT sensitive! ;)

Luckykid
02-16-2008, 02:18 AM
Has anyone gotten rejected yet? If they made the decesions already I would like to know one way or another...

Roy

nervouslywaiting
02-18-2008, 03:11 AM
Looks like the thread will be on a brief hiatus now, waiting for the next round of results?

Seriously, have they rejected anyone so far?

Fermat
02-18-2008, 11:53 PM
Looks like the thread will be on a brief hiatus now, waiting for the next round of results?

The first rejection that I have seen just popped up on GradCafe. I guess we all just sit tight until someone receives a funding offer (although I saw one already on the decisions thread.)

natvanhat
02-19-2008, 12:02 AM
The rejection gate has opened.

eEconFun
02-19-2008, 12:05 AM
Rejections finally came.

mogelsworth
02-19-2008, 12:06 AM
I got a generic "congratulations on your admission" email from Virginia on Friday afternoon, with an assurance that my formal acceptance letter is in the mail. I haven't received the formal letter yet, and my status is still "pending" online.

umdist
02-19-2008, 12:06 AM
all rejects from website

Lantash
02-19-2008, 12:55 AM
I got a funding offer on friday afternoon ... and my status on applyweb.com just turned into ... DENY !!! Go figure !!!

Is there anyone else in my situation?

pevdoki1
02-19-2008, 12:57 AM
Wow, Lantash, that does not make any sense to say the least. Have you tried calling the department?

Fermat
02-19-2008, 12:59 AM
I got a funding offer on friday afternoon ... and my status on applyweb.com just turned into ... DENY !!! Go figure !!!

Is there anyone else in my situation?

That's awful. How did you receive the offer initially?

nervouslywaiting
02-19-2008, 02:44 AM

Ah, nevermind my own question. Was just rejected... It was 6 am on my time, and the first time I saw was a 'DENY' status. Bugger...! It was my safe bet this year. Apparently, 780Q and 530V for an international student is not good enough. True, my undergrad GPA was so-so. But I have a US Master's degree and some working experiences.

Ah well, if that doesn't mean I'm not good enough then I am not good enough.
But, is there a chance that my profs don't think I'm that competitive hence they don't write me strong letters?

Ecorleone
02-19-2008, 03:50 AM
I am also an international applicant, and I scored 800Q and only 440V. I am not sure how much this will play against me, and also my GPA is so-so. I am suffering the same as you.. the waiting sucks, does it??

Olm
02-19-2008, 05:00 AM
For the last time, verbal doesn't really matter. They put a hell of a lot more stock in your AWA score. I've seen Chinese students score 800V but 2.5 AWA. Anything over 400 on verbal doesn't raise any red flags.

Ecorleone
02-19-2008, 05:03 AM
For the last time, verbal doesn't really matter. They put a hell of a lot more stock in your AWA score. I've seen Chinese students score 800V but 2.5 AWA. Anything over 400 on verbal doesn't raise any red flags.

Ok then... my AWA is 3.5.
Is it good? ( I am an international applicant)

Olm
02-19-2008, 05:10 AM
AWA of 3.5 is something that will definitely be brought up by the adcom. Generally, 4.0 AWA or above is when they are confident you can string two sentences together. They'll probably take a closer look at your statement of purpose: if it's well-written, they will probably give you a pass (especially since the AWA is written in such a short time frame).

An AWA of 3.5 will by no means torpedo your application; there are plenty of great admits (Harvard/MIT/etc.) with AWA scores below 4.0. They understand that English isn't your first language and that you will have at least two years to improve it for when you start writing research.

Don't worry about it: it's a relatively minor issue compared to the rest of your profile (LORs, GPA, etc.)

pevdoki1
02-19-2008, 02:44 PM
Did anyone else hear about funding yet?

needeconhelp
02-19-2008, 03:03 PM
I heard from them about funding.:)))

MzSunshine
02-19-2008, 04:54 PM
needeconhelp, how did they inform you about the funding? Email? Phone call? I know that email last week said the initial round of funding info would come this week, and that a number of faculty members are involved in contacting students who are awarded aid, so I'm just curious!

needeconhelp
02-19-2008, 04:58 PM
They e-mailed me.

ALam
02-19-2008, 05:22 PM
needeconhelp: do u mind sharing the profile? thanks

needeconhelp
02-19-2008, 07:26 PM
needeconhelp: do u mind sharing the profile? thanks

It is on the first page of Roll Call 2007. Is that what you are asking me?

MzSunshine
02-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Anybody else hear about funding today? I guess the week has really just started since yesterday was a holiday...

arieshion
02-20-2008, 09:10 PM
I got an email from a professor at UVA today, and he wanted to talk to me about my admission, funding and the program... I am already admitted.

So I was wondering if any of you guys got this kind of emails, and do you have any ideas/suggestions of what I should expect on the phone and what I should talk about...

I'm very scared...

mogelsworth
02-20-2008, 09:24 PM
No. I got a generic "congrats on your admission" email from UVA last Friday, and my online status is admitted, but I haven't heard anything else from them. If I were you I'd be excited, the prof may really want you to go there and thus the personal touch. I'd reread my SOP because the prof may want to discuss your area of interest. Good luck!

MzSunshine
02-20-2008, 09:41 PM
If you're already admitted, I'd take it as a good sign that they probably want to offer you funding. Cause that's what the email said last Friday - that different professors were involved in contacting the people who receive funding some time this week.

So like mogelsworth said, just look over your SOP, maybe look over that guy's website (what his research interests are, if they match yours, perhaps just to have a conversation topic), but really, relax - you're already in!

needeconhelp
02-20-2008, 09:49 PM
I received a similar e-mail and it also included info about funding.

MzSunshine
02-20-2008, 09:50 PM
needeconhelp, you're on a roll today! Congrats on both Duke and $$$ at UVA :)

israelecon
02-20-2008, 10:50 PM
I got an email from a professor at UVA today, and he wanted to talk to me about my admission, funding and the program... I am already admitted.

So I was wondering if any of you guys got this kind of emails, and do you have any ideas/suggestions of what I should expect on the phone and what I should talk about...

I'm very scared...
you don't have to talk about anything. the prof will tell you what they are offering you, you possibly ask questions that interest you and thats it. they don't expect you to have anything to say and you already got admitted and a decision about funding has been made so you don't need to impress the prof. nothing is going to change based on this conversation.

arieshion
02-20-2008, 11:39 PM
Thanks everybody for replying!

Another question: what should I say if they ask me how likely I am going to UVA. I've applied to other schools but haven't heard from them yet.

israelecon
02-20-2008, 11:40 PM
they know that you can't make a final decision. just say you are interested, its not binding.

arieshion
02-21-2008, 05:11 PM
I heard about funding today.

mogelsworth
02-21-2008, 05:34 PM
I heard about funding today.
how did you hear? good or bad news?

arieshion
02-21-2008, 05:55 PM
how did you hear? good or bad news?

5years

17K+health insurance+tuition waiver

about 8k is TA

Fermat
02-21-2008, 06:01 PM
5years

17K+health insurance+tuition waiver

about 8k is TA

Do you mind saying which other schools your are considering? If not, I understand. Thanks.

arieshion
02-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Do you mind saying which other schools your are considering? If not, I understand. Thanks.

UVA is the only school that I have received a decision from so far...

it is highly likely that I am already rejected by UMN and NYU...

Trapped In an EW Box
02-22-2008, 07:18 AM
how are you guys hearing about funding? e-mail? phone calls?

arieshion
02-22-2008, 03:15 PM
for me, it's email from a professor

Fermat
02-26-2008, 03:53 PM
Anyone else on this board hear about funding from Virginia?

MzSunshine
02-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Still waiting and hoping for the best... Especially hoping that the high-fliers with NYU/Yale/etc offers will start turning down their UVA spots fast, so that the rest of us can go there :)

mogelsworth
02-26-2008, 05:13 PM
I haven't heard a thing.

pevdoki1
02-26-2008, 06:19 PM
No money info here either.

I wonder if the professors contacting people are their potential advisors? In that case, it's no wonder I haven't heard, since my SOP was so half-assed :p

Fermat
02-26-2008, 06:23 PM
No money info here either.

I wonder if the professors contacting people are their potential advisors? In that case, it's no wonder I haven't heard, since my SOP was so half-assed :p

Yea, mine was generic and didn't focus on one particular area or professor. This is weird that no one has really heard much about funding up to this point.

stupidolive
02-26-2008, 06:31 PM
guys, don't worry. Last year in my college, there was a guy getting UVA acceptance near Apr 15th and got the funding on April 15th.

MzSunshine
02-26-2008, 06:32 PM
I agree, Fermat, it is weird that not that many of the TM'ians have heard about funding - especially cause the original email Friday two weeks ago said the first round of funding offers would come out "next week" - meaning they should've been here last week...

arieshion
02-26-2008, 06:35 PM
The professor I talked to is not in the area that I mentioned in my SOP.

And I think they are also interviewing job candidates. So don't worry, things might speed up once they are done with the interviews.

ephyou
02-26-2008, 10:07 PM
i think the reason not many havent heard yet is that they're having professors contact on their own, and also if you remember that email they sent out they said there would be delays

sonicskat
02-26-2008, 10:18 PM
About the profs contacting people, it might just be the DGS, Chris Otrok. he is the one who told me about my funding offer last year (personally and at the open house). The department typically likes to give out informal notices of funding (from the DGS or the Adcom), and then the official offer from the College of Arts and Sciences will come in the mail.

They also typically give out a first wave of offers in late feb. As people reject for schools like nyu/yale/etc, they don't renew these offers until the open house, when they begin the second wave of aid offers.

Don't stress too much...I'm pretty sure that a significant number of my classmates found out about their funding offer at or after the open house.

Also, at the open house, the DGS will take you aside and personally tell you what your chances for funding are, fairly realistically. However, don't let that imply that you 100% won't get an offer, as stupidolive stated above

mogelsworth
02-26-2008, 10:28 PM
is your chance of getting an (better) offer contingent on open house attendance?

pevdoki1
02-26-2008, 10:28 PM
sonicscat, if I may ask a couple of questions:

1) How is the atmosphere at UVA? Do the students typically like each other? Is there any social life? How is the city?

2) Would you say that most PhD economics students are fairly talented? I ask because I know that at many schools outside the top 10, the entering class will mostly consist of Asian kids from places like Hong Kong that are very good quantitatively, but don't have any original ideas (not in terms of research ideas, but generally speaking). Would you say that UVA students have some knowledge of things outside of economics? In other words, it possible to have a conversation with somebody NOT about macro theory et al?

sonicskat
02-26-2008, 11:10 PM
1) Atmosphere here is definitely very relaxed, much less competition than at other programs I've heard of. There is no incentive to compete over grades really (at least during the first year), since professors generally won't fail you unless you really really sucked. I think everybody just knows that it works out better if everyone works together to learn the material. I like pretty much everyone. There are always those people you don't get along with, but that's just life. It's no different then hanging around friends in undergrad, expect everyone is a bit dorkier and all you have to take about revolves around econ.

Charlottesville is an ok town. On weekends, I go out one night with friends from my class to bars either on the corner (at campus) or downtown(a free trolley ride away). Cville is cheap, and you can pretty much live within a bus ride of campus with no problem (busses are free). The town is built around UVA, so it really is the center. don't expect a thriving metropolis though, but it does have very few distractions which is beneficial.

2. In my best interests I would say we are talented...I think at least I'm pretty talented. In the first year, there isn't much room for creativity since the coursework really is about learning fundamentals. There are about 12 or 14 americans in my class out of about 23. I have no problem talking to any of them about econ, sports, politics, etc. However, much of our world does revolve around econ. Lots of the foreign students are fun too, they don't all live eat and sleep econ. I go out with friends from turkey, thailand, china, nepal, the 'stans, etc and have no problem just hanging out.

I'd say that students here are probably more "normal" than that from top 10 schools. not everyone here wanted to be an economist at the age of 10 (i know this is a bad generalization for all of those headed to top 10 programs) and we don't know about every topic in math. Basically we've all come from non-ivy schools (many public or lower tiered private) and are challenged by the material presented to us.

bojangles42124
02-26-2008, 11:27 PM
sonicskat, your (1) makes UVa sound like heaven on earth.

Do you think that the training you are receiving is rigorous enough to be effective? In other words, how competitive do you think you will be against someone who received their degree from, lets say, Cornell? Hopkins?

sonicskat
02-26-2008, 11:35 PM
Well, i guess it's heaven on earth compared to other grad schools. Don't for a second think that it is easy. I am working 7 days a week studying nowadays, but I guess comparatively it is pretty nice. I wouldn't really want to be anywhere else.

i actually misspoke about the non-ivy people. One of my friends here is from Cornell (got an econ degree). Personally, I have no problem working with the individual. In fact, I would say that he is average in the class and that pedigree really doesn't matter much here.

I got my undergrad degree from a small LAC in NC. However, I think that I got as good of an undergraduate training than any other student in my class. However, much of this is up to the individual. But just to set it straight, I am not afraid of somebody with a better pedigree in any situation...if you want to make it, you have to be confident in your abilities and not worry too much about others.

pevdoki1
02-26-2008, 11:38 PM
UVA certainly does seem nice reading those posts. I'll be at the open house.

bojangles42124
02-26-2008, 11:41 PM
me too.

Fermat
02-26-2008, 11:55 PM
I'll be there as well. It's my Spring Break and I live 70 miles south. Did anyone RSVP or is everyone just planning on showing up that day?

mogelsworth
02-27-2008, 12:05 AM
I haven't decided if I'll go, it depends what admissions decisions come in the next several weeks. I live in Portland (Oregon) so it's a bit of an expense.

MzSunshine
02-27-2008, 12:15 AM
I was hoping to hear about funding before buying plane tickets for the fly-out, but I guess if they tell a lot of people AT the fly-out, I probably won't hear before then, and will just show up hoping that they'll give me funding later :)

signal08
02-27-2008, 01:34 AM
does anyone know if UVA has released any *rejections* yet?

my status on their website still says "pending." ... i'm dying to find out!

MzSunshine
02-28-2008, 05:25 PM
Has anyone officially replied to the open house invitation from Patty yet? Current students, can you please comment on the best location for staying overnight?

mogelsworth
02-28-2008, 05:30 PM
No. I'm debating whether or not to go. Since I'll be flying from the west coast, I'd planned on minimizing the cost and flying out once and visiting all schools in the same trip. Obviously making it to all the open houses isn't possible, although I've only heard from UVA so maybe it is...

Econ82
02-28-2008, 06:36 PM
i received the email but i am not going, i dont live in the us ,

i hope that does who attend can tell us about it!!! :D

i have a couple of questions that maybe people who are already attending could answer: what is your impression of the macro group there?

what professors generally are advisors?

is UVA going up or down in the rankings, or staying?

does it feel like a place where people have an attitude (like a place where people are happy to be, where they have motivation and a feeling of doing something important as a group, i hope you understand what i mean..)?

are they hiring more people? is someone leaving?

any other impressions to share?

thanks a lot!!!:D

115th dream
02-28-2008, 06:53 PM
is your chance of getting an (better) offer contingent on open house attendance?

This never got answered... and I'm curious too. Does anybody have any insight?

sonicskat
02-29-2008, 02:12 AM
Chance of getting a better offer is definitely not contingent upon attending. In fact, the DGS will tell you that he expects emails from you in the future about what other schools will offer you. In many cases, depending on the school and amount, they match offers. Also, as people decline aid offers, this money becomes available to more people.

mogelsworth
02-29-2008, 02:35 AM
Thanks!

Optimyst
03-12-2008, 02:48 AM
What if my application still says "pending" as of the 10th of March??