PDA

View Full Version : Accepted to UK

Luckykid
02-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Got an e-mail for a phone interview this morning, got a call a few hours ago. Looks like an offer with funding and a fly out in a month or so! I got off the phone and had tears of joy!

Despite the "lower" ranking Kentucky ranks high in the places I would want to live and it seems like a good fit for me!

:tup:

Roy

anna09
02-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Congratulations!! I hope it's one of many!

Mr.Keen
02-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Congrats! Keep'em coming!

Mr.Keen
02-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Hehe, when I read the title I thought: be more specific! there are many schools in the United Kingdom!

Sam_Jackson
02-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Congrats dude!

I think he meant University of Kentucky. Even I thought it was a UK (United Kingdom) admit. Forgive me if I'm wrong.

Sam.

AstralTraveller
02-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Congratulations! A good starting place, for sure. I hope for many more admits to come for you!

Luckykid
02-08-2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks everyone, Yes its U of KY! Go WILDCATS!

polkaparty
02-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Grats!!!!!

canecon
02-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Congratulations that sounds excellent! :D

bertthepuppy
02-11-2008, 01:30 AM
Luckykid I got the same e-mail and call on Friday. I agree that UK is not highly ranked but it seems like a solid department with a great graduation rate and surprisingly wonderful placements. The director seems really great. Maybe I will see you at the fly out.

Andronicus
02-11-2008, 01:49 AM
Congrats!

Hehe, when I read the title I thought: be more specific! there are many schools in the United Kingdom!

LOL, that's what I always used to think when I heard "UK". Then I married into a family from Kentucky and I learned what "UK" really means (although they are actually University of Louisville fans).

Luckykid
02-11-2008, 02:09 AM
Luckykid I got the same e-mail and call on Friday. I agree that UK is not highly ranked but it seems like a solid department with a great graduation rate and surprisingly wonderful placements. The director seems really great. Maybe I will see you at the fly out.
Defiantly! Congrats!
The director really stressed the importance of the Student/Professor interaction and honestly I think this is close to the most important part in becoming a good economist.

Houses are uber-cheap there too, I already contacted a Realtor to check out some places while we are down there on the fly out.

See you there!

Roy

polkaparty
02-11-2008, 02:23 AM
The director really stressed the importance of the Student/Professor interaction and honestly I think this is close to the most important part in becoming a good economist.

I agree. Learning economics is very much like an apprenticeship.

bertthepuppy
02-11-2008, 12:59 PM
They said last year the incoming class was around 9 and they have 5 students on the job market now. I think that's a great sign. However, it may be hard to justify going to UK over OSU and I still have 12 more apps in the works! We'll see how it all pans out.

swansand
03-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Hey, my name is Steve and I was recently directed to this website by a member of faculty at my university. I applied to UK for Fall 08 also, and received an email but not an offer of financial aid. I only received admission at this time. I am waiting to here back from the DGS. UK is my top choice/reach (I do not have a very strong application), but I don't know if I can attend without funding. I saw on their site that they offer funding to around 8 students entering for 06-07.

I was wondering if anyone else had not heard about funding, but have been granted admission? And to the people offered funding, is the funding exactly as is on the site of $11,600 and $12,700? Any information would be awesome!

I truly wish I knew about this site months ago...although I would be embarrassed to post my profile:blush:

Thanks again,
Steve

bertthepuppy
03-05-2008, 03:52 PM
My funding was exactly what was on the website as you said, but then an additional fellowship from the dept of 4K. The DGS also said I was being considered for a university fellowship. I think I will turn down that offer next week though.

Luckykid
03-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Steve:
My fellowship offer was 3K plus TAship. I am 75% sure I am taking the offer. Someone on the grad cafe mentioned they were waitlisted on funding. I will let you know what people think on the flyout this weekend and if anyone is thinking of turning it down. From the looks of it someone from IL-State, Ole Miss, Allen Maxwell U, and a couple of unknowns for a total of 7 people including me UW-Milwaukee are going on the flyout this weekend. He also mentioned some can not make is this weekend and they are coming later. It does not appear to be a very strong group and UG schools so it may be well suited for the people going however I know nothing about the specifics of the people going so they might be very strong applicants at other schools. The director also wanted to be sure I did not have any other offers that would trump UKY before they made their offer so I am sure that he did the same for the other applicants.
I know this is probably not the news you want to hear but this is the information that I have. I wish you the best of luck and if I forget to respond on sunday/monday PM me.

Roy

Luckykid
03-08-2008, 04:31 AM
The impression that I received is that there are a few waiting for funding(some on the flyout), one person seemed like he may take a different offer. The program offers RA positions to second+ years however if you had Econometrics on your profile I see no reason why you couldent get an RA spot as a first year if you showed promise.
Overall impressions of the program was a small, close, laid back group; It seemed like professors and students had very close relationship and the program sees students as Jr. Colleagues more so then students. The campus is overall nice and it seems like a nice town.

Roy

bertthepuppy
03-08-2008, 02:11 PM
I just turned down my offer yesterday, so that should help somebody out! luckykid are you still planning on attending U of KY?

Luckykid
03-09-2008, 04:17 AM
I just turned down my offer yesterday, so that should help somebody out! luckykid are you still planning on attending U of KY?
The michigan state offer is tempting to risk the funding. Truthfully I had a lot of expectations from the UK program and was somewhat underwhelmed with it. I think that Milwaukee is a better program in terms of rigor but they just don't publish at UWM...I am not saying UK is a bad program by anyt means; I think it has a lot of good qualities! but I had very high expectations and visions of the school and town being the prefect slipper on my little economic foot; that was only partly true after visiting

We will see

Probability 51%