PDA

View Full Version : Residency Information

Luckykid
02-09-2008, 01:21 AM
If you get accepted to a program, does your spouse automatically get residency? Do they automatically get accepted to the school? Just curious if there is an unwritten, or written rule about this.

I already contacted the program in question and am waiting for a response I just wanted to see if there was a "Standard"

Thanks,
Roy

pevdoki1
02-09-2008, 01:23 AM
Do they automatically get accepted to the school?
That sounds ridiculous..

Luckykid
02-09-2008, 01:26 AM
That sounds ridiculous..
Why? Isn't it an unwritten rule that if you and your spouse are in academia the institution will most likely find a non tenured position for the other if one gets a jerb? That seems just as outlandish...

To clarify I meant accepted for undergrad...not a grad program...

Roy

asquare
02-09-2008, 02:12 AM
Well, most PhD students don't have a spouse who is applying for undergraduate admissions, so I'd guess this isn't a common situation. But undergraduate and graduate admissions decisions are made separately and I highly doubt that there's a guarantee of admission for the spouse. Someone from the graduate program could put in a good word with the undergrad admissions office, but I don't think it's anywhere near a guarantee.

There also isn't any guarantee of a lecturer position for the spouse of someone hired for a tenure track job. It's common but far from certain; I know several couples who are teaching at different schools because of this.

reactor
02-10-2008, 11:40 AM
I don't think so. The only thing that I've heard is perhaps some discount in the tuition fees, free counseling service, perhaps some insurance benefits and free gym membership.

Accepting or giving residency to the spouse would create big incentive problems. What if I marry a girl admitted to Princeton and then divorce the year after I get admitted too? etc etc

notacolour
02-10-2008, 04:52 PM
No, they're not going to accept the spouse simply for being married to someone who was admitted, just like they wouldn't give a job to a spouse simply for being married to a faculty member they did hire. However, they would give extra consideration to the latter if they really wanted the hire. Admissions almost certainly wouldn't care.

Residency is strange, and really depends on the state. Of course in most states you need to be a resident for a year or so to get residency. Most will allow residency after this waiting period, but the regulations can be confusing and at times contradictory, so you'd have to examine each state's rules individually.