PDA

View Full Version : Admission next week

econboy
02-09-2008, 03:23 AM
According to last year, Duke, Minnesoa, Rochester, Wisconsin-Madison, Virginia will release offers next week.:D

15/2 (Friday) is an important day!

eEconFun
02-09-2008, 03:30 AM
Quite some offers have come out from Virginia and I am a little worried now.

signal08
02-09-2008, 03:53 AM
i'm excited! and nervous....

good luck to all!

polkaparty
02-09-2008, 03:57 AM
I think I'm exhausted from waiting this much already. Just let it be over....

AstralTraveller
02-09-2008, 04:28 AM
I'm exhausted as well. I'm wondering why I have had no rejects or acceptances thus far, from 14 programs within the top-50. It's not like I'm looking for rejects (I know the day of my first reject I will lose any remains of ego that is left), but many people have had news already, I am tired of refreshing my profile, sp. when many of the schools I have applied to have issued some accepts and/or rejects (UTX Austin, Minnesota, UCSD, plus some interviews at Stanford GSB). I find it strange not having heard anything so far.

At least, as the saying goes "no news, good news"

polkaparty
02-09-2008, 05:36 AM
Can anybody at Wisconsin-Madison confirm or deny that results will be out by the end of next week?

TruDog
02-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Can anybody at Wisconsin-Madison confirm or deny that results will be out by the end of next week?

Nope. Faculty don't talk to students (especially first-years) about things like this. Sorry!!!

Olm
02-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Duke and VA have already released a ton of offers. I applied to Rochester so obviously I am anxious to hear from them. :)

polkaparty
02-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Duke and VA have already released a ton of offers.

I wouldn't say Duke has released a "ton" of admits. There's only 4 admits on gradcafe and I think just one person on TM who was admitted. Virginia, however, seems to have released a bigger batch.

Thesus
02-09-2008, 06:58 PM
What percentage of the econ phd applicant population posts on thegradcafe or visits TM? That's the question.

Hearing something would be great at this point - even if only so I knew that the work to apply wasn't totally lost.

yuio
02-09-2008, 07:09 PM
So, Minnesota will also release their decisions next week?
I looked at the posts on grad cafe, and it seemed like they did that in March (for last year)
Of course, I want to find out next week! Can anyone confirm?

TruDog
02-09-2008, 10:03 PM
It's a small sample, but about ten percent of my first year class was registered on TM as far as I know. We've talked about it before and it doesn't seem like anyone else used it that much, if at all.

filroz
02-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Boston College sent first wave of offers on 16th last year...
pleaseeeee...:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

econphilomath
02-10-2008, 11:54 PM
Yale should also say something this week....

iugi85
02-10-2008, 11:56 PM
econphilomath: is it just an inference about yale? or have you heard something?

octavio
02-11-2008, 12:22 AM
I'm curious about Yale, too. I don't want to get my hopes too high since this week would be earlier than in previous years. :luck2:

polkaparty
02-11-2008, 12:36 AM
econphilomath: is it just an inference about yale? or have you heard something?

You people need to troll more! Read this post (http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/84477-yale-starting-review-files.html#post544920). Econphilopmath has yet to make it clear how credible that information is and whether or not "by next week everything will be settled..." means decisions will be sent out or decisions will simply be made.

Olm
02-11-2008, 06:17 AM
All right folks, here comes another week of admissions decisions!

polkaparty
02-11-2008, 06:26 AM
Just when my countdown was getting close, I've decided to reset it to Feb. 25th! It appears that the majority of decisions will go out that week.

econyun
02-11-2008, 08:01 AM
has Minnesota U rejected people already this year?

Fermat
02-11-2008, 11:42 AM
Does anyone have any idea when Georgetown will be making decisions? Or UNC for that matter? I remember UNC made decisions really late in the game last year, it seemed some on TM had already made up their minds before anyone knew anything about UNC.

econphilomath
02-11-2008, 02:09 PM
has Minnesota U rejected people already this year?

Not that we know of. All we know is that a couple of admits have gone out.

Letsgowings20
02-11-2008, 03:11 PM
I received a response e-mail today from Duke's secretary saying that admissions decisions have already been made and that we should hear from them in a week or two. I had e-mailed them about a reseach paper that I had just finished that I wanted to include in my app. Oh well, all anyone can do now is wait. Good luck everyone!

Ricardinho
02-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Considering the number of Duke rejections that have gone out already, I'd say your chances are pretty good at this point! Good luck.

Mr.Keen
02-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Not that we know of. All we know is that a couple of admits have gone out.

Two admits for TMers. I would say probably 10-12 admits have gone out so far, based on last year.

briggsd_54
02-11-2008, 04:46 PM
About UNC, I got a letter from the admissions office saying I was in (mail Feb. 8th). But I havent seen any comments from anyone else.

Mr.Keen
02-11-2008, 05:23 PM
I received a response e-mail today from Duke's secretary saying that admissions decisions have already been made and that we should hear from them in a week or two.

That sounds like an eternity! Why can't they lets us know sooner if they've already made decisions?:crazy:

polkaparty
02-11-2008, 05:26 PM
That sounds like an eternity! Why can't they lets us know sooner if they've already made decisions?:crazy:

It's quite cruel isn't it? It is quite easy to mail merge two mass emails from a database of applications. At the very least they can send out a quick unofficial notice.

econphilomath
02-11-2008, 05:43 PM
It seems they are doing it one by one at Duke because of how the admits/rejects are trickling out.

Olm
02-11-2008, 06:12 PM
I wish today's admits and rejects would come out already... no activity yet at the gradcafe. Oh well, back to homework. :)

bertthepuppy
02-11-2008, 06:16 PM
For what it's worth, I've found that there is significantly more admissions activity at the end of the week than there is in the beginning. Maybe the faculty/staff are doing their actual work now? Sad, huh?

polkaparty
02-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Yeah, in the early weeks it does seem like the decisions are loaded at the end. I think the counterexamples to this will be the last week of Feb (since tons of decisions will roll out every day that week) and the first week of March.

econphilomath
02-11-2008, 06:42 PM
Monday has been really boring so far...:sleepy:

However, I have a feeling this week will be packed with excitement... and next week will be trouble :whistle:.

TM should have a warning when signing in:

"The material on this forum is not recommended for those PhD applicants with high blood pressure, a previous heart attack, (an implanted pacemaker), or others with proven heart disease."

Olm
02-12-2008, 02:01 AM
Yeah, no real news. Slow day today.

I am sure things will pick up by the end of the week... ROCHESTER, this means you! :)

statrics
02-18-2008, 04:29 AM
I'm exhausted as well. I'm wondering why I have had no rejects or acceptances thus far, from 14 programs within the top-50. It's not like I'm looking for rejects (I know the day of my first reject I will lose any remains of ego that is left), but many people have had news already, I am tired of refreshing my profile, sp. when many of the schools I have applied to have issued some accepts and/or rejects (UTX Austin, Minnesota, UCSD, plus some interviews at Stanford GSB). I find it strange not having heard anything so far.

At least, as the saying goes "no news, good news"

Same case to me.
However, it seems that I will not have good chance to be admitted in UWM and NYU.

Yale is comming in a few days:hmm: Fingers crossed.