PDA

View Full Version : Admission, rejection, anything!

kinesis
02-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Hi everyone,

I am coming out of the shadows to join you with rants of hope and sweet words of despair! In my first post I would like to vent a bit, here it goes:

:mad:

Seriously, why did I only apply to schools that don't start decisions until early or mid March?!?...I almost hit the submit button for Caltech, but I decided not to apply there...If I had applied though, I would have known something today. And I want so much to hear something, anything...the waiting tires me. I have become addicted to checking results every other minute, and yet statistically, I will not hear anything for another month!

I want to say congratulations to everyone who got an admission so far. And to those who got rejections, I envy you all the same, as I would like to prune my decision tree down a bit so that planning for the future becomes more manageable...of course, I can always burn some bridges one way or another.

I will stay put though and wait for my stimulus.

Olm
02-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Welcome to the forums! We share your pain. Honestly, a month doesn't matter. Knowing that your decisions won't roll in until March should keep you from having to stand in front of your system spamming your refresh button while your email client is open ;) I, on the other hand, have three decisions in February with the rest coming in March, so I have to deal with two full months of uncertainty.

Be sure to post your profile and where you applied to in the profiles thread (or put it in your sig, like me :) ).

kinesis
02-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Thanks, Olm, for the welcome. Waiting two full months would be insanity for me. Although, one month does matter when you have invested your emotions and energy into the pursuit of lofty goals. I know that I do not care for the status quo in my life, but before seeking change I would like to know if I have a shot at going to graduate school...that requires patience, something that I run out of sometimes given my unhappiness of the status quo.

I hope it is ok not to post my profile. I am a bit shy about it, given that so many people here have superb profiles...I will probably not get in most schools I applied too, but hey, at least I can dream.

polkaparty
02-09-2008, 07:30 PM
I hope it is ok not to post my profile.

Of course it's ok. I think some TMers have been getting a bit pushy about asking for people's profiles recently.

By the way, welcome to TM and I hope you can find some useful information here. Good luck.

Mr.Keen
02-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Of course it's ok. I think some TMers have been getting a bit pushy about asking for people's profiles recently.

By the way, welcome to TM and I hope you can find some useful information here. Good luck.

That comes from a guy who started the Roll Call thread but never posted his own profile. Hehe. Good one. Polka got us good.

polkaparty
02-09-2008, 07:46 PM
That comes from a guy who started the Roll Call thread but never posted his own profile. Hehe. Good one. Polka got us good.

LOL, whattttt. It's true that I started the thread, but note that I only asked users to "post something about yourself"--I didn't give a profile template or even mention gathering stats. Since econphilomath was the first person to respond I'll leave the blame on him.

But ok, I'll admit, I designed the thread with the implicit intention of being a profile thread, but I wrote the post to avoid saying so explicitly so that I may be exempt!

Also, I have never asked someone directly for their profile. My thread was an simply open call for volunteers.

I stand acquitted!

econphilomath
02-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Whats the big deal about posting your profile anyway? We are already anonimous behind our internet fake names...
If anyone gets 0 admits or 10 admits, it would be VERY usfull for the next generation be aware that dreams come true and that sh$# happens as well.

As for the style and info asked on the roll call thread, it is the same that is always asked and usually it is done for helping people give advice regarding admissions stratagies. If no one posted their profile we would never be able to figure out what works and what doesn't, and that doesn't only apply to those who take a shot at MIT.

BTW, I have tried to get everyone who participates activly to post their info mainly for completness. It is known to everyone that there are tons of perfect profiles applying each year and knowing if they have nick name A or nick name B is not overly interesting. By posting we get to know each other, our interests, our concerns and dreams. Its about being part of a big TM family I guess... maybe after posting here a while it will feel ok to post your info once you get to know everyone better...

:2cents:

Fermat
02-09-2008, 09:10 PM
As for the style and info asked on the roll call thread, it is the same that is always asked and usually it is done for helping people give advice regarding admissions stratagies. If no one posted their profile we would never be able to figure out what works and what doesn't, and that doesn't only apply to those who take a shot at MIT.

BTW, I have tried to get everyone who participates activly to post their info mainly for completness. It is known to everyone that there are tons of perfect profiles applying each year and knowing if they have nick name A or nick name B is not overly interesting. By posting we get to know each other, our interests, our concerns and dreams. Its about being part of a big TM family I guess... maybe after posting here a while it will feel ok to post your info once you get to know everyone better...

:2cents:

Amen. I started checking this board about a year ago and kept up with it since and the information I got from the profiles/results thread from last year alone was a huge help in selecting my range of schools to apply to. I think one can post at least an outline of a profile that will still help the next generation of applicants without losing anonymity.

Olm
02-09-2008, 11:34 PM
I agree with both of the above statements. Honestly, nobody is out to get you. Except the adcoms. :)

kinesis
02-10-2008, 12:15 AM
Well, to everyone commenting on anonymity I just want to say that it is not about that, at least for me.

I have just applied to several graduate programs and I am tired of specifying my profile. I came to this forum to vent, to ask and answer questions about the process in general, and to share the happy and sad moments of acceptances and rejections respectively.

I am here because we are all on the same boat, suffering from the same anxieties, regardless if one has a good or bad GRE score. The data we provide in this forum show people how competitive it is to go into an economics PhD, yes, but they should already know that!

In no way profiles should influence somebody's decision to apply or not. (This is just a disclaimer I threw out there, as I am not trying to say that anyone implied this).

I am here because I applied. I applied because I am a rational actor and have some believe I can get in somewhere. I do not wish to have my chances analyzed by the same people I am trying to relate with and share feelings and comments about the admissions process. I judge myself enough everyday as is.

I agree that we get to know each other by posting, but I feel like I get to know people better on the regular posts than by merely reading their profiles. I have read the profiles and truthfully, although good, a lot of them look the same to me. Knowing that such and such with perfect profiles did not get into MIT doesn't let me know much about the people behind the profiles or even my chances of getting into MIT. Everyone is unique outside of their profiles...that's what we all need to grok.

If people must know I have a superb mathematics background, but a weaker economics one. I have a strong interest in game theory...specially games of incomplete information ;).

Thesus
02-10-2008, 01:31 AM
I would tend to think that posting a profile and being open here can only help in the long run. Who knows when you'll be looking for a coauthor? I understand anonymity on the internet, but it's hard to blackmail someone with "You're applying to graduate programs in economics!"

Olm
02-10-2008, 06:00 AM
"superb mathematics background" = he's in

Andronicus
02-10-2008, 06:32 AM

Wouldn't that be an implication rather than equality?

Pedantry is the spice of nerdiness.

kinesis
02-10-2008, 04:24 PM

I want to believe you, Olm!

It is quite ironic that this is the remark you picked from my post, given it in its entirety.

I like irony though, so fair enough! :)