PDA

View Full Version : Landing RA position

vidivici
02-11-2008, 02:49 AM
Hi y'alll. I'll be graduating in Fall (Dec 2008) and am planning to enter a PhD program in 2009. But from Jan to the Aug I would like to RA. I've been told that is better to start looking now. How do I land an RA position at say a think tank or economics consulting or other. Or at a university? Any place to pass those 8 months and give me some real world research experience. Most of them are for Summer but I'll need it from January. Would reall appreciate any advice.

Andronicus
02-11-2008, 02:58 AM
Are you enrolled at a university? You can ask any professors who know you and you abilities if they could use help with research, or if they know another professor who is. I don't know how you would get the job without knowing somebody though.

signal08
02-11-2008, 04:33 AM
the best bet is to get an RA position at a research university, though a think tank wouldn't hurt (but it you're looking for good letters, one from a top school will be far more credible than one from the private sector/gov think tank).

at U. of Chicago, Emily Oster and Jesse Shapiro are/were looking for RA's. and i also know that Prof. Andrei Shleifer at Harvard is also looking. (if you currently attend a research university, most of this information will be forwarded to you if you sign up for your school's mailing list).

blistering barnacles
02-11-2008, 04:58 AM
typo: irrelevant

semischolastic
02-11-2008, 05:06 AM
Another good option is to see if you can line up an internship with your nearest Fed, in the research department. Not many people are aware of this, but in addition to the 2-3 year RA positions, you can get short-term paid internships. In my opinion, this is probably the best thing that you can do if you can. Not only can you get a LOR out of an active researcher, but there will be a large community of RAs that are in the same position as you. You will benefit both personally and professionally by interacting with them. Also, you get to attend all the seminars that they offer, and they generally have quite good economists come in.