PDA

View Full Version : masters in europe

maya.arco
02-11-2008, 10:42 AM
hey! i have few querries about masters in europe! which universities are worth going to, if your goal is to do phd in the end... I know LSE and UCL are among the best ones, but what about UPF, Tinbergen Institute, tilburg and others? which one yould you choose as top choice for you?

thanks!

have a nice day all of you and dont eat your nails!!!:D

maya.arco
02-11-2008, 10:42 AM
oh and like...would you prefer to go to US school, ranked around 30-40 or to one of those european schools?

asianeconomist
02-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Although this topic has been discussed at length in other threads, I would just like to recommend UPF specifically. You also should consider Tolouse, CEMFI, UAB, Bocconi among others.

The decision to go to European, US or UK schools is substantially dependent upon what one wishes to undertake after the PhD.

economicus
02-11-2008, 05:31 PM
My humble opinion:
1. LSE
2. Tinbergen
3. UCL
4. Toulouse
5. Oxford/Cambridge
6. Tilburg
7. UPF
As places for finishing Phd there.

econphilomath
02-11-2008, 05:47 PM
Although this topic has been discussed at length in other threads, I would just like to recommend UPF specifically. You also should consider Tolouse, CEMFI, UAB, Bocconi among others.

The decision to go to European, US or UK schools is substantially dependent upon what one wishes to undertake after the PhD.

As in the other threads, I second asianeconomist in recommending UPF. They did lose Fabio Canova this year, but there are a bunch of great economist there.

fp3690
02-11-2008, 05:50 PM
As in the other threads, I second asianeconomist in recommending UPF. They did lose Fabio Canova this year, but there are a bunch of great economist there.

Where did he go?

maya.arco
02-11-2008, 06:07 PM
thanks guys! i also heard tinbergen institute is really good and UPF as well. but i dont know if they are really strong for development:( what is CEMFI and UAB, if you dont mind telling asianeconomist:)

thanks!

adnormous
02-11-2008, 06:23 PM
As far as I know,people in Tibergen Institute do not encourage students to apply to the States for PhDs, unless for those top 10 universities. Whereas the atmosphere in Tilburg would be way better in terms of this issue.

Smileysquared
02-11-2008, 06:26 PM
I think you should aslso consider the University of Warwick........not for a PhD though.

Slutskii
02-11-2008, 06:35 PM
A good friend of mine is at the Masters program at UPF and he seems to have mixed feelings regarding it. He has mentioned to me that the teaching is hit or miss, and sometimes quite awful. That and and there are some organizational difficulties, as well as harsh grading.

I've heard similar things about LSE though, so it might just be par for the course.

econphilomath
02-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Where did he go?

University of Bern (http://www.vwi.unibe.ch/content/abteilungen/canova/index_eng.html)

maya.arco
02-12-2008, 02:59 PM
thank you all for posts! is here anyoney actually studying at tinbergen or UPF? and then, UC-davis, penn state, tinbergen, lse and upf: which one wins (your opinion of course)?

economicus
02-12-2008, 07:28 PM
See PM.

maya.arco
02-14-2008, 02:47 PM
a lot of admits today!

sushigushi
02-14-2008, 04:07 PM
thank you all for posts! is here anyoney actually studying at tinbergen or UPF? and then, UC-davis, penn state, tinbergen, lse and upf: which one wins (your opinion of course)?

I'm pretty well acquainted with the Tinbergen Institute (the MPhill program).

If you have any questions, I'm quite sure I can satisfy them. Don't ask me to rank it though, because I don't know any of the other programs you are referring to that well...

canecon
02-14-2008, 08:44 PM
someone got in to pompeu fabra! (i didnt get any infor yet:( )
Do you know how they were notified?

filroz
02-14-2008, 09:04 PM
hey! i have few querries about masters in europe! which universities are worth going to, if your goal is to do phd in the end... I know LSE and UCL are among the best ones, but what about UPF, Tinbergen Institute, tilburg and others? which one yould you choose as top choice for you?

thanks!

have a nice day all of you and dont eat your nails!!!:D
I asked people going to LSE, Essex, Cambridge, Cerge, etc... and I have received completely different answers. It seams that the level of teaching is the same everywhere (maybe even less known places are more difficult!!!, but not vice versa). For sure, at LSE or oxbridge you can find recommenders on higher level.
However, I believe that concerning what you actually learn, it ismore or less the same, or in another words, it depends on your aptitude and devotion rather then on the school.

maya.arco
02-14-2008, 09:37 PM
canecon: i saw a post on gradcafe and i believe it says via postal service.