PDA

View Full Version : Rejected by Iowa State U

nancy_dream
02-12-2008, 09:48 AM
This is the first rejected email I received this year. People always remember the "first time". So it is:

"This notice is being sent by e-mail to speed up the notification process. You will also be receiving a letter in the mail.

The Admissions Committee of the Department of Economics at Iowa State University has carefully reviewed your application to our program. Interest in our program has been very high, and so we are able to accommodate only a small fraction of the students who apply each year. The Committee's decision was to deny your application.

We appreciate your fine qualifications and wish you the best as you pursue your academic goals."

My background is written clearly in this forum. So not many things to say. Considering Iowa State U, I have connected to one professor in it. He is nice to me and tells me a lot about labor economics. And I sent email to him only to say "Thank you for your help. But I am rejected or Denied"....

I believe more and more emails will come...to hit my head, hurt my heart.

macroeconomicus
02-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Students from Asia often have to get a US masters degree first before applying for a US PhD. I rarely see people from China without a notable graduate degree coming straight into US PhD programs. Did you apply to other universities? Good luck.

laku234
02-12-2008, 10:21 AM
iam very sorry to hear this.....Hope u get admitted in good coll...all the best...

Is the univ a good one for MBA???
can u provide some insight abt the MBA course in the ISU??
thanx for ur help in advance...

eEconFun
02-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Where can we see your background? It might be a problem of matching.

Smileysquared
02-12-2008, 01:29 PM
I don't think that you should worry about it. As you said it is your first rejection and I am sure you will have many offers coming your way soon. Take care.

nancy_dream
02-13-2008, 08:11 AM
Thank you for all your words. I appreciate.
Considering my background, i remembered I have posted some threads in this forum and described my background clearly. GpA 3.79, TOEFL 93, GRE 1310,3.5. My scores are not high. I study in Shanghai Institute of Foreign Trade.
As one LZ said," it is difficult for foreign students". the professor from Iowa said this to me...
Thank you for your encouragement. I applied economics Ph.d, labor economics. Maybe my experience can be useful to you.

nancy_dream
02-13-2008, 08:13 AM
I have applied other schools. But maybe they are all too good for me.
SUNY in Buffalo, which is said to be the safe school,enrolled students from Qinghua University. Rice U, Washington U in St.Louis, Northeastern U, Boston U...

tangsiuje
02-13-2008, 11:41 AM
I'm sure that most adcoms with experience of admitting Chinese students would be familiar with the very strict pecking order of Chinese universities: whilst I've seen quite a few economics graduate student profiles with people holding degrees from Beida or Qinghua, students from any other universities are quite rare. In the rare case, they'd be from other very famous universities, preferably holding, say, a master's degree in mathematics.

Smileysquared
02-13-2008, 12:07 PM
How can you say they are too good for you? Because you have received one rejection it doesn't automatically make your chances of entry into other what is deemed high ranking schools impossible. So what if your academic qualifications aren't as "great" as other applicants? They don't only consider academic success alone. Try to think positively. I didn't graduate from a well known university either.......
It is a fact that you will have disappointments in life but you can't let it get to you. Stop letting these little drawbacks get to you please. It is making me depressed. So what if you don't get into your first choice school-there are others which are just as good....keep this in mind.

Smileysquared
02-13-2008, 12:09 PM
Posted message twice....

nancy_dream
02-14-2008, 08:08 AM
How can you say they are too good for you? Because you have received one rejection it doesn't automatically make your chances of entry into other what is deemed high ranking schools impossible. So what if your academic qualifications aren't as "great" as other applicants? They don't only consider academic success alone. Try to think positively. I didn't graduate from a well known university either.......
It is a fact that you will have disappointments in life but you can't let it get to you. Stop letting these little drawbacks get to you please. It is making me depressed. So what if you don't get into your first choice school-there are others which are just as good....keep this in mind.
thank you very much. You can expect how your words make me moved.
I will keep on and work on.

nancy_dream
02-19-2008, 10:22 AM
This is the first rejected email I received this year. People always remember the "first time". So it is:

"This notice is being sent by e-mail to speed up the notification process. You will also be receiving a letter in the mail.

The Admissions Committee of the Department of Economics at Iowa State University has carefully reviewed your application to our program. Interest in our program has been very high, and so we are able to accommodate only a small fraction of the students who apply each year. The Committee's decision was to deny your application.

We appreciate your fine qualifications and wish you the best as you pursue your academic goals."

My background is written clearly in this forum. So not many things to say. Considering Iowa State U, I have connected to one professor in it. He is nice to me and tells me a lot about labor economics. And I sent email to him only to say "Thank you for your help. But I am rejected or Denied"....

I believe more and more emails will come...to hit my head, hurt my heart.
OK. Another comes as followed:
"We have had time to review thoroughly your application, the supporting papers submitted in your behalf and the recommendation made by the department to which you have applied. I regret to inform you that on the basis of this joint consideration, we are unable to approve your admission to graduate study. Graduate education is characterized by extremely small classes and close mentoring by faculty. As a result, programs have only a limited number of available positions. Each year we receive many more applications than can be accommodated; consequently, many highly qualified applicants are often excluded."
It comes from U of Virgina...I did not have much hope about this school when I applied it... I..I have nothing to tell about my application. But I really have some experiences to share with you:
1. It does not follow" the more, the better.." I have applied some schools, but I really receive "deny emails", a lot.
2... Wait and maybe later I can write more...

apropos
02-19-2008, 08:03 PM
OK. Another comes as followed:
"We have had time to review thoroughly your application, the supporting papers submitted in your behalf and the recommendation made by the department to which you have applied. I regret to inform you that on the basis of this joint consideration, we are unable to approve your admission to graduate study. Graduate education is characterized by extremely small classes and close mentoring by faculty. As a result, programs have only a limited number of available positions. Each year we receive many more applications than can be accommodated; consequently, many highly qualified applicants are often excluded."
It comes from U of Virgina...I did not have much hope about this school when I applied it... I..I have nothing to tell about my application. But I really have some experiences to share with you:
1. It does not follow" the more, the better.." I have applied some schools, but I really receive "deny emails", a lot.
2... Wait and maybe later I can write more...

It looks like you can benefit from getting a Masters degree before applying for PhD. It seems like most students from China and Korea are taking this route. Consider getting a masters degree from a place like Iowa State, Eastern Michigan University, UIUC, etc or in China perhaps first.

"The more applications, the better works" well if the bulk of your applications are sent to departments where you have a reasonable chance of getting in. If you send them to a department where you have little chance, sending more applications obviously won't help. If you want to reapply again, consider schools that are supposedly no more difficult to get into Iowa State. For example North Carolina State, Colorado State, U Colorado- Boulder, Washington State, University of Houston, Florida State, University of Kansas, University of Tennessee, etc. Good luck on the rest of you applications.

nancy_dream
02-20-2008, 08:18 AM
It looks like you can benefit from getting a Masters degree before applying for PhD. It seems like most students from China and Korea are taking this route. Consider getting a masters degree from a place like Iowa State, Eastern Michigan University, UIUC, etc or in China perhaps first.

"The more applications, the better works" well if the bulk of your applications are sent to departments where you have a reasonable chance of getting in. If you send them to a department where you have little chance, sending more applications obviously won't help. If you want to reapply again, consider schools that are supposedly no more difficult to get into Iowa State. For example North Carolina State, Colorado State, U Colorado- Boulder, Washington State, University of Houston, Florida State, University of Kansas, University of Tennessee, etc. Good luck on the rest of you applications.
Maybe you are right. Try something easier. I have doubt my desicion about phd no master. But I still stick to it. Of course, I stick to it, it does not mean I am right. I think your advice is very helpful and thank you very much.
But I , I really want a try, Ph.D... I just like academics. OK.
At least, I tried.

heavyrain2408
02-24-2008, 12:44 PM
I am studying in a PhD program @ Florida State Univ but in CS dept.
I can see a lot of Chinese students who without a MS but still gets admission directly into PhD. :D
Check FSU website and apply ;)

Anyway, I am from Hanoi, Vietnam. I have not had a MS and I got admission into PhD program @FSU last year.
Several friends of mine without a MS can still get into PhD programs @ very good schools like MIT, UIUC, UCSD, etc. :tup:

This year I also got admission and aid support from Washington University - St. Louis but if I can keep my TA position here, I will possibly stay to study here :grad: WashU is far better but FSU is good enough for me and I like the climate in FL much.

PS. I also got a rejection from ISU last year. When I called to ask them, they said they could not find a suitable adviser for me.:mad:
Maybe you have the same reason if in your SOP, you did specify your specific research interests.
-------------------------------------------------------
We were pleased to receive your application for admission to the graduate program here in Electrical and Computer Engineering at ISU. Your application has been carefully reviewed. Your academic record indicates that you are well qualified and you were part of the select group of applicants from which our final selections were made. I regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you admission at this time and encourage you to pursue other educational institutions for further graduate work.

nancy_dream
02-25-2008, 08:17 AM
Thank you for your information.Some Chinese students are excellent, I know this. Maybe I am far from "Excellent". I have also applied Washington U. St.louis but I do not think I can get AD.
It is glad to meet you :)