PDA

View Full Version : Which Schools have Waitlists

econphilomath
02-12-2008, 01:14 PM
Does every school have a wait list? Most schools offer more admits than they expect to actually come to their program and some schools also have a waitlist.

How much do we know about how this works and which schools (at least in the top 30) have waitlists?

From what I know, some of those waitlists are "ornamental" at best. For example being 1st on the waitlist at MIT :mad:.

I know Princeton has a wait-list, and also seemed not to move much last year.
NYU had a wait list. Chicago GSB had a waitlist, informal at least. Not sure about the rest.

polkaparty
02-12-2008, 02:12 PM
From what I know, some of those waitlists are "ornamental" at best. For example being 1st on the waitlist at MIT

I wasn't aware that MIT had this reputation. So I guess being 1st on the waitlist you probably only have a 10% chance of getting accepted or something like that, no?

asquare
02-12-2008, 02:14 PM
Not all schools have formal waitlists. Some schools -- MIT included -- make a second round of admissions offers after they have heard back from smome first round applicants, or after NSF decisions have been announced. (MIT often makes offers to additional applicants who received NSF funding.)

fp3690
02-12-2008, 02:38 PM
I've been trying to find the section on the nsf website about economic PhDs, but I can only get to the page about "projects". Can anyone provide a link?

tangsiuje
02-12-2008, 02:44 PM
wrong post, sorry

econphilomath
02-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Does UPenn have a waitlist

octavio
02-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Does UPenn have a waitlist
I think so. If you go to thegradcafe and search by school and program, then do a find on the results page(s) for "wait," you can see if anyone last year reported being waitlisted. In UPenn's case, several people said that they were.

macroeconomicus
02-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Also, some schools have a nasty habit of keeping an internal waiting list without notifying either people who are supposed to be rejected by then or those who were put on the waiting list until something like April.

econphilomath
02-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Also, some schools have a nasty habit of keeping an internal waiting list without notifying either people who are supposed to be rejected by then or those who were put on the waiting list until something like April.

The job of the adcom is to order the set of applicants, and it is would not be too unusual for this to be defined for the subset of applicants who are "near" those who are accepted. I wanted to try and figure out who has official wait lists and who doesn't because given I think they all have a list, that would determine which ones make it official.

I personally think it is much more transparent to applicants and to the rest of the department for the adcom to select a subset and then give an ordered wait list. That way people don't sneak in the back door thanks to connections and last minute decisions etc. The problem is that it is probably really hard to get the adcom to generate a strict ordering. Its much easier to determine who is over/under a certain critical point.

Anyway, back to waiting....

econ08
02-12-2008, 07:04 PM
I might be wrong, but i remember reading form somewhere that NYU sent the email to some people last year saying something like "we have not rejected you yet, but the chance doesn't look good."

macroeconomicus
02-12-2008, 07:36 PM
What I was trying to say is that there are schools that don't bother notifying people whom they clearly don't intend to admit until something like the middle of April.

Andronicus
02-13-2008, 04:52 AM
I think Pitt has a waitlist.