PDA

View Full Version : Thank you U Western Ontario, for giving me a heart attack.

Olm
02-14-2008, 06:20 AM
U Western Ontario had this phenomenally bright idea to send invitations for campus visits to all students who applied for graduate programs. For a few seconds I thought I was in, until I noticed the note never bothered to say "congratulations". It basically said "grad orientation, come visit, activities, etc!".

A few days later I received an email from some school official saying that the email had nothing to do with the admissions process.

Some inside info (do not ask how I got it, but it's extremely reliable): U Western Ontario received a record amount of applications this year, and the quality of the applicant pool has risen considerably. So much for UWO being my "safety".

pevdoki1
02-14-2008, 06:34 AM
I got those, as well.

I don't view UWO as a safety at all.. It's probably my #1 choice of all the Canadian schools I applied to (big 4), and I'd easily take it over some of the PhD programs on my list, as well.

It seems like a very closely knit department with a very nice placement record and professors that care about the students. What more could you want? :)

Also, the mathematical emphasis is a nice plus. I remember someone here talking about learning number theory or something in micro. The little number theory I learned in abstract algebra was great fun, and I think I would appreciate it if I could learn a little bit more of pure mathematics while getting an Econ PhD =)

Olm
02-14-2008, 06:39 AM
I viewed it as a safety since it used to not get very many applications (even places like UBC rarely eclipse 200) and the department rank used to be quite low. Now it's on its way up, and is also popular because of its very generous funding (to those who don't know, everyone gets at least $20k plus tuition), so...

And the worst part is that it'll be over a month before we start hearing from Canadian schools.

pevdoki1
02-14-2008, 06:44 AM
Generous funding is nice..

My Rutgers funding seems to go up about 10% each year.. Starting with a 19k fellowship, and moving up to a 27k TA-ship. It seems ridiculous to be paid 27k for getting a PhD, but I'm not complaining!

Where was it lowly ranked? I think EconPhD is full of crap. I've seen ranking of placement records where UWO is top 50-ish in the world... There is also this ranking, which makes it look quite good: http://www.ssc.uwo.ca/economics/grad/rankings.pdf

Legatus
02-14-2008, 08:56 AM
I think the situation with Western right now is a strong push for mathematically inclined students. Also, from what I've heard a number of people have already been admitted, which is early for a canadian school.

Also I agree with pevdoki, Western is much better than the econphd rankings suggest. IMHO, Western is on par with Toronto and UBC and better than Queens, only with a much smaller class < 20 (compared with 40-50 in the others), and with young active faculty and excellent placements recently. And the technical reputation is true, there are very few people who enter with just an econ degree, the majority with physics and math.

I would probably go to Western over any of the other big Canadian schools.

ekonomiks
02-14-2008, 01:48 PM
A number of applicants were admitted by Super Bowl Sunday. A couple more have been admitted since then. As far as I know, the vast majority of the admitted applicants are math/physics majors.

pevdoki1
02-14-2008, 04:14 PM
I think it's strange in a way that the majority of those accepted are math/physics majors.. How will they know they love economics? Where will the desire to do economics research come from?

On the other hand, most Russian PhD students in the U.S. seem to have taken the Math/physics BA at Moscow State U --> Economics MA at New Economic School --> Economics PhD at Duke/Harvard/Minnesota route

Olm
02-14-2008, 04:31 PM
UWO already sending out admits? Looks like I am not getting in anywhere. :(

flipecon
02-14-2008, 06:36 PM
hi. iv been getting those emails too. admits are out? probably to those who sent their applications earlier than expected. i handed in mine feb 1 i think. i emailed, and they told me results will be out by end of feb or march. i hope i get in. haha. congratulations to all who got in. if you could post ur profile, it would be awesome.

Olm
02-14-2008, 06:46 PM
UWO admits don't tend to post their results on the gradcafe. Looking at the history of the results, you hardly see any decisions PERIOD. This is one of the reasons why I am a little nervous about how/when the decisions were made.

Legatus
02-14-2008, 07:11 PM
From what I know, many of the admits never applied in the first place, so it has nothing to do with the timing of the application. UWO does a lot of recruiting, calling departments looking for potential students. I wouldn't worry in the sense that a reject from UWO signals more rejects to come from other places. However, if you haven't heard from them yet, the chances of going to western are pretty low. I could be wrong, so good luck!

Olm
02-14-2008, 07:58 PM
From what I know, many of the admits never applied in the first place, so it has nothing to do with the timing of the application. UWO does a lot of recruiting, calling departments looking for potential students. I wouldn't worry in the sense that a reject from UWO signals more rejects to come from other places. However, if you haven't heard from them yet, the chances of going to western are pretty low. I could be wrong, so good luck!

Yes, I have heard of Western doing that. In fact they tried to recruit a few people from my department (I was not one of them). If I get rejected from Western though, a school I thought I was guaranteed admission, I will be despondent.

filroz
02-14-2008, 08:53 PM
UWO does a lot of recruiting, calling departments looking for potential students.
Noone has called me :p

ekonomiks
02-14-2008, 09:36 PM
Here are a couple of things I know:
1) UWO have sent out a lot of admits. They don't even wait until the deadline has passed. The best applicants (in terms of mathematical preparation) have already been contacted and invited to visit the department.
2) Canadian students are heavily recruited, while Chinese students are at a disadvantage for some unreasonable reasons.
3) International admits may come in late March or early April.

ekonomiks
02-14-2008, 09:42 PM
I think it's strange in a way that the majority of those accepted are math/physics majors.. How will they know they love economics? Where will the desire to do economics research come from?

In a sense, it's a gamble. The reasoning is: there's the risk that a math/physics major won't like economics, but if he does, he'll be a good economist. The expected end result is that Western will get a couple of drop-outs but also a couple of top-notch PhD graduates.

Olm
02-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Here are a couple of things I know:
1) UWO have sent out a lot of admits. They don't even wait until the deadline has passed. The best applicants (in terms of mathematical preparation) have already been contacted and invited to visit the department.

I am inclined to believe this, because my source said "you haven't heard anything from UWO yet?" in a worried tone. LOL, I am so dead.

pevdoki1
02-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Have any international applicants been notified? Will a U.S. applicant be treated as an international?

I have a good mathematical background.. :( And Real Analysis II has so far been the most fun class in my undergraduate career.

ekonomiks
02-14-2008, 10:37 PM
Will a U.S. applicant be treated as an international?

Yes, American students are international. Canadian students are favored because the department gets money from the government.

ocean2
02-14-2008, 10:52 PM
LOOOOL! I haven't even received an invitation to visit. I emailed them to ask if they have received everything and they didn't even answer it. LoL. I applied to their MA though. I guess I already know one of my rejects.

Their website says they won't review apps before Feb. 1st deadline (I think it does). If they do and they even send out admits, then I think it's a bit arrogant of them. Why did so many of us apply if they were just going to recruit.

Anyways, I'm happy and I'll just hope for the best.:)

Happy Valentine's day!

ekonomiks
02-14-2008, 11:27 PM
Worse **** happens elsewhere. But hey, don't complain to anyone at Western. I don't wanna get into trouble. Just in case anyone from Western is reading this: I've done my fair share of promoting the department, and I genuinely believe it's a great department.

ocean2
02-15-2008, 01:27 AM
This is what UWO's website says:

"Applications will not be processed until January. The Departmental Assessment Committee will not review applicants until after the February 1st deadline. The results of their decisions will not be known until late February-early March."

Isn't that funny?

Western seems to have a good program. A big department and diverse research fields.

But I just thought that I could have saved myself the application fee if I knew how they actually did it!

Best

RaaR
02-17-2008, 02:46 PM
I was made an offer at Western around a month ago, and have declined it since...

I was an econ major (not even Hons.), and have done virtually no math (very basic cal & matrix algebra, and that's it), so don't worry about them taking only physics/math people or anything of that sort.

I can also confirm the recruitment thing. I didn't really submit any application but was more 'invited' to apply more or less.

I can honestly say that the grad-director there is doing an absolutely amazing job (haven't really seen anything like that anywhere else), and so the general impression I got is that this year's class will be very strong (and small). I also understood (although again, this is only an impression, I might be wrong) that the entering class is pretty much finalized.

All the best to everyone, and I hope this helps!

ocean2
02-17-2008, 03:46 PM
I applied for MA and not phd like most of you did and since UWO seems to be getting rid of their MA and since they fund most graduate students, I think that will work against me. Why would they invest in an MA applicant.

UWO seems to be a reject!:hmm::)

best

Olm
02-17-2008, 05:47 PM
I was made an offer at Western around a month ago, and have declined it since...

I was an econ major (not even Hons.), and have done virtually no math (very basic cal & matrix algebra, and that's it), so don't worry about them taking only physics/math people or anything of that sort.

I can also confirm the recruitment thing. I didn't really submit any application but was more 'invited' to apply more or less.

I can honestly say that the grad-director there is doing an absolutely amazing job (haven't really seen anything like that anywhere else), and so the general impression I got is that this year's class will be very strong (and small). I also understood (although again, this is only an impression, I might be wrong) that the entering class is pretty much finalized.

All the best to everyone, and I hope this helps!

a) Are you at western?
b) if the answer to a) is yes, please put my application in the admit pile. Thanks. :grad:

ekonomiks
02-17-2008, 07:21 PM
I applied for MA and not phd like most of you did and since UWO seems to be getting rid of their MA and since they fund most graduate students, I think that will work against me. Why would they invest in an MA applicant.

The doctoral-stream MA and the PhD programs are the same thing. They already got rid of the terminal MA.

filroz
02-17-2008, 07:57 PM
It is not very nice to let you pay some application fee when the offers are already decided...
:yuck::yuck::yuck:

pevdoki1
02-17-2008, 08:05 PM
Yes, especially since deadline was February 1st!!!

It seems like there is some selection bias going on, and it would be a little annoying if I get rejected in favor of a worse applicant for silly reasons

Olm
02-17-2008, 08:30 PM
It is not very nice to let you pay some application fee when the offers are already decided...
:yuck::yuck::yuck:

I agree. This is bullshit.