PDA

View Full Version : UWO vs. ....

canecon
02-14-2008, 08:40 PM
Inspired by Olm's UWO thread.

For PhD "preparation" or gaining admission to a top 10-15 school, it seems from recent posts here that UWO (their Master's (PhD in disguise)) is 'better' or as good as Queen's, UBC, Toronto MA program. If anyone can qualify this or add to the discussion that would be great.

Also how does say UWO compare with say the UCL MSc Econ program for the goal listed above? (or even compared to UPF or Oxford MSc/MPhil respectively).

Finally, unlike many posters here I am not 110% sure that a PhD in Econ is right for me. I really enjoy economics, more than anything else, and see my career relating in some way or another to econ, but I'm not sure I have the extreme passion that I see on these forums from others.

If this is the case, and I decide not to do PhD, how does a UWO MA Econ look? (I am kind of afraid of the answer).

I would like to work at say Central Bank, Int'l Org (IMF, WB, EBRD, Development Bank's etc...), even policy stuff; preferably in Europe or Canada. I don't want to rule out academia but at this stage in my life I find the appeal of one of the above mentioned jobs higher.

AstralTraveller
02-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Finally, unlike many posters here I am not 110&#37; sure that a PhD in Econ is right for me. I really enjoy economics <snip>, but I'm not sure I have the extreme passion that I see on these forums from others.

C'mon. I'm not sure we are an appropriate benchmark. ;)

Thesus
02-14-2008, 09:24 PM
One of my profs was down on UWO - that they used to be the best in Canada, period, but that there was an internal falling-out a few years ago and it hasn't been quite the same since.

Though the more I read here, the more I wish I had applied, since I really don't see anything in the UBC/Toronto MAs that I like.

Olm
02-14-2008, 09:53 PM
UWO's advantage is that they fund every student. $20k plus tuition. That alone makes the competition for the few spots they have (15 or so) quite fierce.

In terms of research output they are still lagging behind the others in the big 4 (U of T, UBC, Queens), but I have a feeling that their rankings are going to improve quite a bit over the next few years.