PDA

View Full Version : Poll-Schools 21-30

Equilibrium
02-15-2008, 03:53 PM
once again ditto

pevdoki1
02-15-2008, 03:59 PM
I think I like the U.S. News ranking more. Minnesota at 29? Come on...

ward
02-15-2008, 04:00 PM
I think you would be pretty hard pressed to find any other rankings, besides EconPhd, that place UCSD this low.

pevdoki1
02-15-2008, 04:01 PM
other rankings, besides EconPhd

*does not compute*

AstralTraveller
02-15-2008, 04:07 PM
I think you would be pretty hard pressed to find any other rankings, besides EconPhd, that place UCSD this low.

I agree. San Diego, despite having lost both Nobel awardees in the recent years, still has a reeeally strong department. I wouldn't dare to rank them below the top 15.

Equilibrium
02-15-2008, 04:18 PM
not saying i agree with the rankings, in general people are within several spots of the general consensus, so a range of schools is decently captured enough to allow for seeing about what the preferences of people applying in certain ranges and across ranges becomes for diversification purposes.

Your point is certainly valid, but we can see from total number of responses that if it doesn't fall off between 1-10 and 11-20 etc... that overall, if at least some people are responding to both polls in that range, that the schools are indeed seen as more equal or slightly different perception, ie UCSD is actually preferred much like a top 15 school you feel it is.

econphilomath
02-15-2008, 04:21 PM
Dude, Minnesota, UCSD and Rotchester are in IMHO 10-20. I should make a ranking of my own so I can cite....

Equilibrium
02-15-2008, 04:31 PM
So Rochester and UCSD are probably off by like 5-6 spots, minnesota a few more, already said that for all intensive purposes the poll will still capture essentially different "tiers" and how TMers apply across tiers at least in a weak sense, i'd be more than happy to hear your opinion via your own rankings, and that post would be another topic in it's own right

i have explained my use for polling, i don't need it to be perfect, people are being nice enough to take the polls and that's fine by me

econphilomath
02-15-2008, 04:34 PM
So Rochester and UCSD are probably off by like 5-6 spots, minnesota a few more, already said that for all intensive purposes the poll will still capture essentially different "tiers" and how TMers apply across tiers at least in a weak sense, i'd be more than happy to hear your opinion via your own rankings, and that post would be another topic in it's own right

i have explained my use for polling, i don't need it to be perfect, people are being nice enough to take the polls and that's fine by me

Dude, relax, its just an opinion. Your polls are fine and probably a great way to get info on the demand side of the application process.

Equilibrium
02-15-2008, 04:37 PM
not in a huff, i was actually agreeing with you and basically saying i'd definitely be interested in something you'd have to say about your own rankings, you know more than I do so i'd like that opinion

Guest Who
02-15-2008, 09:46 PM
I agree. San Diego, despite having lost both Nobel awardees in the recent years, still have a reeeally strong department. I wouldn't dare to rank them below the top 15.

FWIW, UCSD "only" lost Engle; Granger still comes in everyday except for two months over winter while he's in New Zealand. As for Engle, despite what the department may tell you, he isn't seen around except over the summer.

(I'll ignore Markowitz since he's in the B-school (yes, UCSD now has a B-school). Surprising but true is the fact that Markowitz still teaches class and is the adviser of at least one econ grad student.)

AstralTraveller
02-15-2008, 09:54 PM
FWIW, UCSD "only" lost Engle; Granger still comes in everyday except for two months over winter while he's in New Zealand. As for Engle, despite what the department may tell you, he isn't seen around except over the summer.

This is a great piece of info I didn't have. I'm glad that "the Rebel Without a Causal Model" (Granger) is still at UCSD. I am with you with regards to Engle, now affiliated full time at NYU Stern's department of Finance. Thank you so much!

I'll ignore Markowitz since he's in the B-school (yes, UCSD now has a B-school). Surprising but true is the fact that Markowitz still teaches class and is the adviser of at least one econ grad student.

I understand that the UCSD Rady School of Management does not offer doctoral degrees.

buckykatt
02-15-2008, 10:33 PM
Interesting to see so many folks applying to Brown, which is a small program. Of course, that won't keep me from applying there next year. ;)