PDA

View Full Version : Poll-Schools 61-70

Equilibrium
02-15-2008, 04:46 PM
i promise i'll stop at 100 tops, because i'm using econphd rankings from a while back, several schools are much higher in the court of public opinion now(although they have changed relative to other lower tier schools they are still below say the top 30 in most cases

Equilibrium
02-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Yes i know WUSTL is WAY higher than this

asquare
02-15-2008, 04:50 PM
The first few were potentially interesting, but 10 polls is too many. Please stop posting these, or combine them somehow! They are swamping the otherwise interesting conversations on the first page.

To clarify: I am NOT passing judgement on the interest of polls for schools ranked 1-10 versus those ranked 61-70. I'm objecting to the number of polls, not to the range of schools covered! If you had started with schools ranked 91-100, I would have complained before you got to schools ranked 1-10.

I understand that you can't list 100 schools in one poll, but you could have gotten similar information by having a poll with the options being "applied to schools ranked 1-10" "applied to schools ranked 11-20," etc.

Equilibrium
02-15-2008, 04:54 PM
can't combine them, limited by the poll function on the forum and the fact that you can't place a poll as a post, to my knowledge only during creation of an entirely new thread, it will be a very short time period to have these threads on the front page and it's only happening because of the design of the technical side of the forum, my appologies

macroeconomicus
02-15-2008, 05:10 PM
I am not sure what's the point of having these little polls here? If you have a question about some school, just ask. I'd say you're just too bored/too much time.

asianecon
02-15-2008, 05:20 PM
I suggest you open up a new thread purely for writing down the schools one has applied to. To make it easier to parse, posts should be in a consistent format, e.g.

APPLIED TO: Harvard PhD Econ; MIT PhD Econ; Chicago PhD Econ

(school name + program separated by a semi-colon, all in one line)

Then somebody (I can do it if I'm bored and if I have time) can create a scraper and parse these as people start posting. I hope this is not in violation of the robots.txt policy of TM (it won't take too much bandwidth anyway since the scraper will only work on this specific thread)

Just a thought...

BTW: I don't really see the point of this unless you're sizing up competition amongst TM users

Equilibrium
02-15-2008, 05:33 PM
I suggest you open up a new thread purely for writing down the schools one has applied to. To make it easier to parse, posts should be in a consistent format, e.g.

APPLIED TO: Harvard PhD Econ; MIT PhD Econ; Chicago PhD Econ

(school name + program separated by a semi-colon, all in one line)

Then somebody (I can do it if I'm bored and if I have time) can create a scraper and parse these as people start posting. I hope this is not in violation of the robots.txt policy of TM (it won't take too much bandwidth anyway since the scraper will only work on this specific thread)

Just a thought...

BTW: I don't really see the point of this unless you're sizing up competition amongst TM users
not as tech savvy in that regard(ie using a robot to parse the text for results) besides posts would invariably not be in a consistent format. i will not post further for fear of being accused of bumping the thread so i guess PM me if you want and actually i'll tell you my reason for threading these

asquare
02-15-2008, 05:45 PM
Equilibrium, by all means -- discuss! That's what TM is here for, and responding to questions or raising your own points is very different than just "bumping" up a thread that others aren't participating in.

econphilomath
02-15-2008, 05:59 PM
.... PM me if you want and actually i'll tell you my reason for threading these...

Hmmm.....scary!

What evil plot is there hidden behind those seemingly harmless (but annoying) polls...? :evil:

Valhalla
02-15-2008, 09:03 PM
.. annoying polls...? :evil:

Well annoying or not ... have a look at the number of hits... there seems to be a demand for useless statistics (as usual) to.... well to.... hmmmm what are those polls for ??? :hmm: Estimating the fraction of Tmers applying to place x is totally pointless as nobody knows who participates in those polls right? Could be that those participants are just bored lurkers and nobody has a clue about their profiles right? It's not the pure number of people applying to some places that determines chances for admission it's the quality of the pool of applicants right?

mentioning this: btw I hope that the guy at thegradcafe who seems to be admitted to UW and Duke with Q720 V 320 and AWA 2.5 and GPA of 3 is not serious.. otherwise this whole process becomes ridiculous and frustrating...

pevdoki1
02-15-2008, 09:10 PM
WHO ELSE APPLIED TO WUSTL??!!

http://www.lazydork.com/movies/rocky4.jpg

:D

econphilomath
02-15-2008, 09:23 PM
LOL ! I wanted to use that pic !!

pevdoki1
02-15-2008, 09:39 PM
:D

P.S. It might work against me, since I'm Russian and would naturally have to play Dolph's role.

econphilomath
02-15-2008, 10:23 PM
Hey congrats on Virginia! Do you prefer Virginia over Rutgers?

pevdoki1
02-15-2008, 10:28 PM
It's hard to say... Depends on whether or not UVA offers me aid :p I would have to visit both schools, meet with faculty, and so forth.

If I wanted to pursue monetary-type stuff (which is what I stressed in my SOP, since it's the only thing I know about), Rutgers is infinitely better. The thing that makes it harder is that interests might change..

I prefer both of them to Indiana and Purdue, that's for sure.

Valhalla
02-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Hi Pevdoki,

If you are interested in monetary stuff (i guess search approach and not trading posts and OLG) why didn't you apply to UPenn or Princeton? (Wright and Kiyotaki?). Further If you are admitted to UToronto and you are really interested in monetary econ I would say this is a very good place for you (as S. Shi is there) what do you think?

best

pevdoki1
02-15-2008, 10:53 PM
Why didn't I apply to UPenn and Princeton? Low confidence is one reason.. :d

I agree about Toronto; their department looks great!