PDA

View Full Version : Economics of Religion

lumina
02-15-2008, 07:04 PM
Hey does anyone know about Economics of religion? I've never heard of this field until I found a course from George Mason:

Economics of Religion (3:3:0) Prerequisites: ECON 611, 630, 637, 812. Employs economic theory and methods to analyze religious beliefs, behavior, institutions, and social and economic consequences.

This is a phd elective course and it sounds quite interesting to me. Anyone has clue what it's about?

AstralTraveller
02-15-2008, 07:13 PM
Hey does anyone know about Economics of religion? I've never heard of this field until I found a course from George Mason:

Economics of Religion (3:3:0) Prerequisites: ECON 611, 630, 637, 812. Employs economic theory and methods to analyze religious beliefs, behavior, institutions, and social and economic consequences.

This is a phd elective course and it sounds quite interesting to me. Anyone has clue what it's about?

You should really read the works by Larry Iannaccone (sp?), who is the most widely known author on this subject. Another author who has worked on this subject is Bruce Sacerdote.

What is it? It is a branch/subfield that analizes the economic rationale behind religious affiliation. It's not related in any way to "Religious Economics" (as in religious postulates for economic behavior).

Econ of Religion is a subbranch of Behavioral Econ. It's essentially a Household consumption framework applied to religious affiliations/beliefs.

My 2 cents

08Applicant
02-15-2008, 07:15 PM
Any class that immediately conjurs an air of tension and brings with it controversial personal preconceptions has to be fun. But economists are too dispassionate. That class needs a few religious studies majors to sit in so we can see some fist fights.

Mr.Keen
02-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Another author who has worked on this subject is Bruce Sacerdote.

Talk about weird coincidences: sacerdote=priest (in Spanish)

AstralTraveller
02-15-2008, 09:44 PM
Talk about weird coincidences: Sacerdote=priest (in Spanish)

Yes. I though the same when I read his papers. I think Sacerdote is at Dartmouth College.

guan
02-15-2008, 11:34 PM
Ronny Razin at LSE also works in this field. I took 3-day course by him last year, and he had very useful lecture notes with a survey of the literature (including many of the Iannaccone papers).

okcash
02-15-2008, 11:55 PM
For Islamocentric research in economics Prof Timur Kuran (now in Duke) is the very right address. His research mainly focused on development and religious life in MidEastern Muslim world. Surely fruitful for Muslim scholars with such concern.