PDA

View Full Version : Volume:2 / Minnesota Decisions are made... Wait a week :)

econphp06
02-15-2008, 09:13 PM
After I said UVA made decisions last week, decisions dropped two hours later. And another inside information from Minnesota, although I didn't apply to Minnesota , I want to share my information with you ...

Wait one week at most, than learn the realities

Good Luck to Everyone :tup:

pevdoki1
02-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Oh, no! :(

P.S. Do you have a connection with Krishna?

Mr.Keen
02-15-2008, 09:17 PM
Holy Molly!

econphilomath
02-15-2008, 09:19 PM
The prophet (econphp06) has spoken......HOLY SHITE !

Is it in a week or during the next week!!?

AstralTraveller
02-15-2008, 09:23 PM
The secretary said next Friday at most (for everybody)....so let's wait until friday and let's not bug her anymore.

econphilomath
02-15-2008, 09:24 PM
The secretary said next Friday at most (for everybody)....so let's wait until friday and let's not bug her anymore. :P

well if she cracked and said next Friday at most....then with a little more motivation, she will spill the beans...!

AstralTraveller
02-15-2008, 09:25 PM
well if she cracked and said next Friday at most....then with a little more motivation, she will spill the beans...!

Please don't

Ricardinho
02-15-2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks econphp06 and AstralTraveller for the inside info!!! And best of luck to everybody!!!

econphp06
02-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Oh, no! :(

P.S. Do you have a connection with Krishna?

I don't even know her and learnt her name from you.. I learnt this information from an important person but please understand me that I can't give a name or a clue :)

Just good luck everyone, Maybe after a Master degree I will apply there and that time you ( Graduate students at Minnesota :)) will help me for my applications :D

Good Luck, fingers crossed for everyone...

econphilomath
02-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Well then, before they unleash the Minnesota Rejection Monster....

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

In other words, don't piss your pants when you hear "You've got mail"

Good Luck everyone :)

Mr.Keen
I don't want to push, but, do you happen to have an idea of how many applications they received this year?

(I mean, if that important person told you about decisions maybe that other little bit of information could've come up in conversation)

Sam_Jackson
I think pevdoki1 meant the Hindu deity 'Krishna' (I am not aware whether deity is the right word here but for lack of a better alternative I have used it - my apologies to Hindus if I'm mistaken).

And yes econphp06 is correct. My friend who has applied to UMinn Econ also says the same.

Sam.

ALam
02-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Wait one week at most, than learn the realities

Good Luck to Everyone :tup:
---> a week for offer, rej altogether?

pevdoki1
02-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Ah, don't remind me of this thread!!!!

*pevdoki1 pulls hair out in agony* (actually, I'm calmly expecting a rejection :D)

econphilomath
02-18-2008, 04:52 PM
This week is show time....

To get everyone in the mood for admits/rejects...

Arrrrre Yoooou Readyyyyyy toooo RUUUUUMMBLE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENqT_pc1cX4)
(check me out in minute 1.31, stop when you see some nerds in black)

nuff said, .....Bring it on Minnesota...

Ecorleone
02-18-2008, 10:56 PM
I also called Minnesota (last Friday) and the decisions were made. They didnt tell me what was my status, but they assured me that I would receive an email by Friday the 22nd (at the most).

I don’t feel that calling the Admission Office is the right thing to do, but the waiting is killing me!!

At least, I hope this info helps you guys

econphilomath
02-18-2008, 11:47 PM
Better buckle up kids, ...its gonna be a bumpy ride!!!

econyun
02-19-2008, 10:17 AM
waiting is killing me too.

Poor me...

I applied to Canadian Phd as well as Minnesota U and Brown U Phd.

In case Minnesota U and Brown U reject me....I have to wait for another 2-4 weeks for the offer/reject...

Btw, How many students have been accepted by Minnesota U?

And I would like to know if both reject and accept offers will be given by the friday??

If it is the case, what if people who get the Minnesota U offer and then a better offer...
so...if these students decline the offer afterward, Minnesota U can t find other students to substitute...??
Since they have rejected all other students in the first place...

Anyway....Can t wait..............:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::r olleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

ALam
02-19-2008, 12:12 PM
waiting is killing me too.

If it is the case, what if people who get the Minnesota U offer and then a better offer...
so...if these students decline the offer afterward, Minnesota U can t find other students to substitute...??
Since they have rejected all other students in the first place...

Anyway....Can t wait..............:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::r olleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

i think they have a waiting list , which is for substitution.

econphilomath
02-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Does anyone know how many admits they send out and how many waitlist people?

Olm
02-19-2008, 05:30 PM
econphilomath, I'm guessing you got in Minnesota. This is one of my official guesses. Just a hunch. ;)

econphilomath
02-19-2008, 05:38 PM
econphilomath, I'm guessing you got in Minnesota. This is one of my official guesses. Just a hunch. ;)

I hope so... I wouldn't bet against myself but you never know...

In the end, after this roller coaster ride is over, we can only go to one program, so with an admit under my belt, I'll rest a lot easier.

Olm
02-19-2008, 05:40 PM
I hope so... I wouldn't bet against myself but you never know...

In the end, after this roller coaster ride is over, we can only go to one program, so with an admit under my belt, I'll rest a lot easier.

Put your sig back in; you started the trend and now you take your sig away? :evil:

Mr.Keen
02-19-2008, 05:41 PM
Econphilomath, would you choose Minnesota over NWU?

econphilomath
02-19-2008, 05:48 PM
Put your sig back in; you started the trend and now you take your sig away? :evil:

LOL ok ok I'll put it back... oops, next post I promise...(so should be in about 30 sec or something)

Econphilomath, would you choose Minnesota over NWU?

If this were a option, I would go to fly outs to make the final decision. Funding could tip the balance but I would take NWU under equal conditions (prior fly-outs). Before people jump out and say "your crazy", I must mention I really like the famed atmosphere at UMinn and like some of the people UMinn has "captured lately" . However NWU is a top place in every way you look at it.

Mr.Keen
02-19-2008, 05:59 PM
I would go to fly outs to make the finally decision. Funding could tip the balance but I would take NWU under equal conditions (prior fly-outs). Before people jump out and say "your crazy", I must mention I really like the famed atmosphere at UMinn and like some of the people UMinn has "captured lately" . However NWU is a top place in every way you look at it.

Are you crazy?! Lol. Just kidding, I know exactly what you mean, and I think I feel exactly the same way. Of course, deciding among top choices is not a problem I am likely to face.

econphilomath
02-19-2008, 06:06 PM
Of course, deciding among top choices is not a problem I am likely to face.

Well we don't know about that just yet. ;)

Right now, I need an ad-Mit like a crack fiend needs a Hit. Com-On somebody show me some Luv.

MzSunshine
02-19-2008, 06:23 PM
econphilomath, why do you have NYU under "Reality kicks in"? I thought they hadn't sent any official rejects yet, so no reason to lose hope!

Olm
02-19-2008, 06:29 PM
Yeah econphilomath, NYU isn't out yet. You could be on the waiting list. The reject column is for rejects only. Were we to put things in the column if we thought we wouldn't get in, here is what my sig would look like:

Admit: {U Quahog Rhode Island (rank #497), no funding}
Reject: {Oxford, UC London, San Diego, Rochester, Queen's, UBC, Toronto, Western Ontario, Duke, and some other places I didn't even apply to}
Other: {Harvard sent me a notice barring me from pursuing further education... anywhere!}

econphilomath
02-19-2008, 06:36 PM
By popular request, NYU is back in the set of "theres still hope" programs, because as some of you mentioned, the set is not conditional on the probability of an admit of each element, just that it is not zero.

There is still "some" hope, different from zero.

Ecorleone
02-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Eventually we will have to put NYU as a reject if we don’t receive any notice... but not this early in the game... wait a month or two before declaring it officially dead.

Mr.Keen
02-19-2008, 06:38 PM
It seems that those rejections from NYU in gradcafe e-mailed the department.

MzSunshine
02-19-2008, 07:10 PM
Haha, Mr. Keen, you crack me up with the probabilities (NYU @ 99.9%)!

Any TMian email them yet this year? Last year from what I remember, they would give a lot of people who emailed them these roundabout answers instead of straight rejects, as in "you're not 100% rejected yet, but if you've other options, you better pursue them cause we are not likely to offer you admission." And then the rejects came I think in April...

Olm
02-20-2008, 12:31 AM
Looks like once again he was dead on with his dates...

Get your Rochester/UCSD sources on the phone, pronto!