PDA

View Full Version : In at NYU Economics

appliedtheorist
02-17-2008, 12:38 AM
Unofficial e-mail (but it looks quite standardized to be perfectly honest). With "a prestigious MacCracken Scholarship for four years". Can anyone of you enlighten me as for what this scholarship is all about? I read about it a few days back on TestMagic...

octavio
02-17-2008, 12:45 AM
Congratulations! Some info on the McCracken Program can be found here:
MacCracken Support (http://gsas.nyu.edu/object/grad.financialaid.maccrackensupport.html)
Looks like a sweet deal to me...

Bayern
02-17-2008, 12:46 AM
Congrats!!

asianecon
02-17-2008, 12:46 AM
finally appliedtheorist! congrats! let them roll baby

i envy you dude

AstralTraveller
02-17-2008, 12:53 AM
Unofficial e-mail (but it looks quite standardized to be perfectly honest). With "a prestigious MacCracken Scholarship for four years". Can anyone of you enlighten me as for what this scholarship is all about? I read about it a few days back on TestMagic...

Sweeet! Congratulations!!!

econphilomath
02-17-2008, 01:07 AM

Congrats! That's really big Admit! :tup:

I hope mine is on the way...or something....

bgg
02-17-2008, 01:16 AM
Congrats !! Could you tell us what time you got the email?

appliedtheorist
02-17-2008, 01:19 AM
45 minutes ago.

econphilomath
02-17-2008, 01:28 AM
Who sent it? From the grade-secretary? It must be pretty late in NY.

Well anyway great job and I guess you can be a little more relaxed now....

econphilomath
02-17-2008, 01:30 AM
BTW, is that you on the gradcafe?

appliedtheorist
02-17-2008, 01:33 AM
Yes, me on gradcafe. Message from a prof - all successful applicants are in BCC (as far as I see that).

econphilomath
02-17-2008, 01:37 AM
Yes, me on gradcafe. Message from a prof - all successful applicants are in BCC (as far as I see that).

Ok thanks, and ...whats the BCC ??

appliedtheorist
02-17-2008, 01:40 AM
What I wanted to say was: The prof sent the e-mail to himself (or maybe that is the mailing list of successful applicants? I am kind of rusty on all this tech stuff) and CC two other professors, hence all the applicants must be in BCC, right? By this, I am implying that all successful candidates should have been notified simultaneously by the very same e-mail - but maybe I am wrong.

econphilomath
02-17-2008, 01:46 AM
hmm could be...but I hope not...!

Either way, thanks for all the info...

needeconhelp
02-17-2008, 01:49 AM
congrats. It is really late in NY.

Thesus
02-17-2008, 01:51 AM
Congrats.

Two more NYU admits on gradcafe, too. Looks like they're telling everyone tonight.

econphilomath
02-17-2008, 02:21 AM
Congrats.

Two more NYU admits on gradcafe, too. Looks like they're telling everyone tonight.

Oh crap... I really liked NYU. :doh:

little guy
02-17-2008, 02:24 AM
Also in, very happy, but odd to find out on a Saturday Night

bgg
02-17-2008, 02:25 AM
Congrats little guy!
Do you think that all the applicants were notified with the same email (pretty much not to waste our time checking our emails)
Thanks

Chicunomics
02-17-2008, 02:26 AM
I'M IN AT NYU!!!!!!

Now we're in dreamland. Holy ****. I can't contain myself.

Nalfien
02-17-2008, 02:28 AM
Congrats guys :)

econphilomath
02-17-2008, 02:31 AM
I'M IN AT NYU!!!!!!

Congrats! I know you wanted that one right! :tup:

Did you get the email a while ago (like appliedtheorist) or just now? I just want the pain to be over if its a copied email to everyone...

mysherona
02-17-2008, 02:31 AM
Congrats, everyone!

asianecon
02-17-2008, 02:48 AM
hey chicu congrats! still backpacking?

ward
02-17-2008, 02:56 AM
Congratulations guys! You've hit the jackpot with this one (at least it would be for me).

crutchboy3
02-17-2008, 03:01 AM
In at NYU!!!!!!!

the_asker
02-17-2008, 03:45 AM
Congratulations to everyone who got in at NYU! Please post on The Decisions Thread as well! You guys must feel great!

Unfortunately for me, it looks like my γ set has gained an element. I wonder when NYU will be sending rejection letters.

zjhtqf
02-17-2008, 04:00 AM
Congrats to the ones got admitted.

To me, I would prefer they sending rejections before admits.

Olm
02-17-2008, 04:05 AM
I'M IN AT NYU!!!!!!

Congratulations! That's a HUGE admit! [bounce] You're pretty much set no matter how the rest of your decisions go!

Congratulations to all who got into NYU. To those who didn't, keep your head up, they can't let everyone that has a great profile in - they get over 1000 applications per year!

Cimbom
02-17-2008, 04:15 AM
Does that mean, those who did not get an e-mail is definitely out?

Olm
02-17-2008, 04:19 AM

No. As far as I know from reading these forums and hearing some stories from other grad students, NYU admits people in a "first round". These are typically what it perceives to be the cream of the crop. The issue is that these students are frequently admitted to better-ranked schools as well, and take offers elsewhere. Then as acceptances are declined, more spots open up and then they make another round of offers, and so on. Don't get worried yet. If you weren't admitted tonight, it simply means you weren't at the top of the list.

econ08
02-17-2008, 04:42 AM
im in too! same deal about the MacCracken Scholarship :)

ward
02-17-2008, 04:48 AM

I seriously doubt it. In fact, judging by the previous posts it seems most of the admits are the ones who are also being awarded the MacCracken Scholarship. So it seems there should be more admits, and probably a waitlist to follow. Of course this could just be wishful thinking on my part.

08Applicant
02-17-2008, 05:33 AM
Aww poop. No email for me.

Can anyone explain the rationale for assuming this is a very limited first round? I thought NYU funds all its Econ PhD students. Why is this scholarship special and why should it represent a small first batch and not the vast majority of total acceptances sent out?

Olm
02-17-2008, 05:34 AM
NYU does fund all of its students.

zjhtqf
02-17-2008, 05:36 AM

The FAQ of admission from NYU econ:

How many students apply to your program, and how many do you take?

Over the last two years, we have averaged over 1000 applicants per year. We take 20. We make more than 20 offers, somewhere between 30 and 40.

What proportion of the entering class is awarded financial aid, and what are the terms of aid?

NYU's Graduate School of Arts and Sciences provides for full financial aid for every entering Ph.D. student for a minimum of four years (conditional on satisfactory academic performance). Typically, the first 1.5 years of this financial aid package, and the remaining 2.5 years must be spent as a TA or an RA.

08Applicant
02-17-2008, 05:37 AM

Then my question is valid. Why would we assume these admits are special? 40 people could have received that email. Maybe the only thing remaining are wait-lists and rejects.

Pessimism is awesome!

zjhtqf
02-17-2008, 05:39 AM
I hope they could send out rejections tomorrow.

Ancalagon The Black
02-17-2008, 05:51 AM
The Mccracken Scholarship is a special scholarship whose decisions are made earlier in my opinion. Generally, most of the named scholarship and fellowship decisions are made earlier.

My friend got into UT-Austin (Comp. Lit) and UCSC (Comp Lit) with a named fellowship. She got the mails around a week or more ago. The professors personally called her up. Other decisions had not been made yet.

However, I think that we are all speculating more than a bit here. :D

econ08
02-17-2008, 05:53 AM
I agree with earlier posts. The email doesn't imply that the admission offers are anything special.

Anyway, I have a question for those admitted fellows. I am not sure sure that I understand parts of the email correctly. So, can i just write an email saying that I would like to wait for a few weeks to hear form other schools?

Olm
02-17-2008, 05:54 AM
However, I think that we are all speculating more than a bit here. :D

Of course we are speculating... what else is there to do? It's a Saturday night and we are on ****ing testmagic.

pevdoki1
02-17-2008, 06:10 AM
Congrats to everyone who got accepted!!! Amazing admit. NYC is fun to live in (not that you'll experience any of the fun), and NYU is of course a great place for economics

Ancalagon The Black
02-17-2008, 07:27 AM
Olm:

Bang on target !!

Ancalagon The Black
02-17-2008, 07:27 AM
Its a Sunday afternoon right now in my country though so I have even more lack in life !! :)

Chicunomics
02-17-2008, 09:06 AM
I agree with earlier posts. The email doesn't imply that the admission offers are anything special.

Anyway, I have a question for those admitted fellows. I am not sure sure that I understand parts of the email correctly. So, can i just write an email saying that I would like to wait for a few weeks to hear form other schools?

Well my interpretation is that they just want to know if you're gonna reject them outright to save them the time of drafting up a formal offer. They must surely know this is still a very early admit and that you can't say yes or no for sure. I just basically said thanks a bunch, and I would be interested in receiving a formal offer. It's not gonna be binding, so as long as you're nice about it if you do eventually reject them then I don't see that you're gonna irritate anyone...

appliedtheorist
02-17-2008, 09:53 AM
That is exactly how I handled the issue as well.

iugi85
02-17-2008, 10:19 AM
admitted too! same news about the MacCracken Scholarship! I am too happy!!! i agree that is an excellent signal for the other applications!

dr_Shpak
02-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Congratulations to everyone who got in at NYU!

I am still waiting to hear from NYU Wagner school :(

umdist
02-17-2008, 11:49 AM
do you think that all admits are done yesterday? are all admits are maccracken scholarship? do they have any different type of scholarship? so many questions. waiting is killing me.

eqtisadi
02-17-2008, 12:01 PM
YESSSS!!! I'm in too!:tup:

Congrats, everybody. Does any of you know anything about the flyouts?

EconPL
02-17-2008, 02:00 PM
And I'm in as well!!! Same deal as everyone else here. Admiited with 'prestigious MacCracken Scholarship for four years' :)

econdreamer
02-17-2008, 02:06 PM
EconPL, when did you get the e-mail and from whom (which professor) it is sent?

The rest of us is waiting like crazy!!

zsla
02-17-2008, 02:08 PM

That's great my friend :tup:. Congratulations. But I am sure that you will hear better news in two weeks.

EconPL
02-17-2008, 02:12 PM
EconPL, when did you get the e-mail and from whom (which professor) it is sent?

The rest of us is waiting like crazy!!

I got it just after midnight local time so it was almost 14 hours ago. But I haven't checked my email since yesterday so I just have noticed it now. It is the same email from Andrew Schotter as anyone else got here.

Nymaj
02-17-2008, 03:10 PM
congrats, NYU is a great school in a great place

econphilomath
02-17-2008, 04:31 PM
I think the rest of us are ****ed. We have to just move on. I knew people last year who were on the wait list or didn't get rejected right away and all they did was continue their suffering untill the inevitable came. And the guy who did get in, McCrack and all didn't end up going in the end.

BTW I really doubt that they only send out 30 admits and keep 20. Maybe Harvard or MIT does that but I would bet NYU sends out more than 30. (which of course sucks even more because I didn't get one...)

Anyway, this seems to begining of the end, as we all expect a lot of desicions this week. Good luck to all!

sushigushi
02-17-2008, 04:39 PM
I think the rest of us are ****ed

'nuff said... now stop bumping this thread and reminding me of that fact ;) ...

PS Congrats to everybody who did get in though! :) Good job, and a nice representation by TM I must add!!

econphilomath
02-17-2008, 04:44 PM
'nuff said... now stop bumping this thread and reminding me of that fact ;) ...

PS Congrats to everybody who did get in though! :) Good job, and a nice representation by TM I must add!!

LOL ok ok, no more bumping...

The TM rep is a good point I overlooked in my growing despair. Good JOb TM.:D

Stuy
02-17-2008, 05:06 PM
The Mccracken Scholarship is a special scholarship whose decisions are made earlier in my opinion. Generally, most of the named scholarship and fellowship decisions are made earlier. :D

This is actually not the case at NYU. Unless you have your own scolarship (from your own country, Fullbright, etc.) if you're admitted to NYU they will offer you a McCracken scholarship. That is: every PhD student here is on a McCracken unless they have an external source.
Congratulations to all of those who got admitted. Being a PhD student here ask if you have questions. I also know that there are other TMians who are students here.
To all of you who didn't get the message this is how I was told that the system worked in past years. They target a class of 20 and they make ~30 offers in the first round. Only when 2 offers are turned down they send an email to person 31st on the list.

Olm
02-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Looks like TM makes up almost 50% of the offers, haha! We're taking over the world!

I will be so lonely at Quahog University, Rhode Island :(

polkaparty
02-17-2008, 05:55 PM
Looks like TM makes up almost 50% of the offers, haha! We're taking over the world!

I counted 8 TMers who got admitted. If NYU sent out 30 offers, that's almost 1/3rd, which is still huge I think. TM really is taking over the world.

zjhtqf
02-17-2008, 05:58 PM
I also saw two rejects on Thegradecafe, their first round rejection?

Olm
02-17-2008, 06:31 PM
I also saw two rejects on Thegradecafe, their first round rejection?

There are going to be a LOT of rejects for NYU coming up on the grad cafe

adnormous
02-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Thanks for sharing the infromation. I guess I am ready for the rejection letter now...

ska
02-17-2008, 06:40 PM
Hey, I also saw 'other' in gradcafe for NYU instead of 'accept' or 'reject'. does that mean people who are on waitlist are also being informed by email. can someone shed any light on it?

Olm
02-17-2008, 08:36 PM
If somebody puts "other", it means it's not a decision at all. Read the notes column and treat it as a message board post.

Welcome to the forums!

Econ07
02-18-2008, 01:12 AM
I don't know if they have changed their procedures, but last year NYU had a very unusual way to contact admitted students. They called asking what you already had and if you were inclined to accept (mainly to really consider) an offer should you be offered one. Otherwise, they would go on and contact another interested student. It was a way to avoid that document that prevents them from requiring decisions before April 15. They also had some really late decisions. One friend had his application on hold up to mid-March, I think.

Mobil
02-18-2008, 02:03 AM
I got accepted just by April 12.

zsla
02-18-2008, 02:41 AM

By the way, being a "freak", how did you end up with a nickname like "appliedtheorist"? You could make a great Chicagoan. Your acceptance letter will include a nice 22k Fellowship :) Think twice!

statrics
02-18-2008, 03:39 AM
I got accepted just by April 12.

I really hope that I can share a little bit of your luck :p

economicsphd008
02-18-2008, 02:59 PM
I'm in at NYU as well. (I have been lurking for some time now.) Does anyone know how much money the MacCraken will be this upcoming year? Thanks.

Stuy
02-18-2008, 04:11 PM
The basic package is 22k/year if I remember correctly. Some people get 3.5k additional for the summer.

israelecon
02-18-2008, 05:28 PM
i am new here. i also got in at nyu. does anyone know within how much time they are supposed to get back to us after we reply that we are interested?

Stuy
02-18-2008, 08:51 PM
If you already answered I'd say they will contact you tomorrow. today is a holiday in the us.

ekonomiks
02-18-2008, 08:55 PM
If you already answered I'd say they will contact you tomorrow. today is a holiday in the us.

Really? Today is the first time Canadians (or at least, Ontarians) celebrate Family Day. Now I know why: 'cause it's holiday in the States too... What US holiday is today?

israelecon
02-18-2008, 09:08 PM
somehow i don't really trust that they really admitted me until they give me an official offer, because i saw the profiles of some of their rejections and they seem at least as good as mine. i keep on thinking its some kind of mistake.

Rick's Cafe AmerEcon
02-18-2008, 09:11 PM
It's generally known as Presidents' Day. Wikipedia tells me that it's officially called Washington's Birthday.

guan
02-18-2008, 10:22 PM
But Richard Nixon did say (or didn't (http://www.snopes.com/holidays/presidents/presidents.asp), if you are into that accuracy thing) that it's a “holiday set aside to honor all presidents, even myself.”

umdist
02-18-2008, 10:24 PM
happy birthday Washington:)

Ecorleone
02-18-2008, 10:38 PM
I still dont quite understand NYU procedures.
All admits have been notified, all rejects have also been notified.
and the rest of us??

israelecon
02-18-2008, 10:44 PM
from what i gather, if you didn't get an email from nyu, you are on the waiting list, i.e. if someone who was admitted declines they go to the next one in line, so they can't reject everyone who doesn't get admitted in the first round, because some of those will end up getting offers later as earlier admits decline their offers.

Ecorleone
02-18-2008, 10:49 PM
Congrats for your admit!
Can you post your profile?

umdist
02-18-2008, 10:51 PM
from what i gather, if you didn't get an email from nyu, you are on the waiting list, i.e. if someone who was admitted declines they go to the next one in line, so they can't reject everyone who doesn't get admitted in the first round, because some of those will end up getting offers later as earlier admits decline their offers.
is there any official rejects so far?

israelecon
02-18-2008, 11:06 PM
hi ecoreleon, posted my profile on the roll call thread, i'm not sure why i got admitted and others with similar profiles didn't. maybe you have an idea?

Ecorleone
02-18-2008, 11:11 PM
Your profile is awesome!!!
That is the reason for your admission results

Congrats again! Can I have your spot?? You will obviously get admitted in most of your applications.

israelecon
02-18-2008, 11:20 PM
as i said in my profile, i don't think that you can really see from the profile how good it is or isn't because i don't think grades are that informative for adcoms, especially for international students. i think they look for other things like how you rank in your class etc. I also think that since Israel has sent a lot of students to the US in the past they may have had good experiences with them and that makes it easier for israelis. also most top departments have some israelis in them, so they can better interpret your grades and quality of courses etc. For example, Ariel Rubinstein teaches in nyu and also in my university (not that i know him or have ever taken a classes he taught). so at least it means they have people who can read judge your profile more properly.

Ecorleone
02-18-2008, 11:27 PM
I don’t agree with you.
Even when grades are not the "most" important part of your application, when the adcoms compare your grade profile (grades + rank) they get a pretty good idea of what your academic personality is like.

In my case, I was rejected because of my grades in Cornell!!! Not happy about it!!

econphilomath
02-18-2008, 11:38 PM
as i said in my profile, i don't think that you can really see from the profile how good it is or isn't because i don't think grades are that informative for adcoms, especially for international students. i think they look for other things like how you rank in your class etc. I also think that since Israel has sent a lot of students to the US in the past they may have had good experiences with them and that makes it easier for Israelis. also most top departments have some Israelis in them, so they can better interpret your grades and quality of courses etc. For example, Ariel Rubinstein teaches in nyu and also in my university (not that i know him or have ever taken a classes he taught). so at least it means they have people who can read judge your profile more properly.

I think israelecon has got it perfectly right on how things work for internationals. It is also perfectly rational for adcoms to do this. I know that several places, (not sure about NYU) give international applicants from country X to a faculty member who is also from country X to rank and give a preliminary assessment. They are the best informed on intracountry differences.
The other important factor is having prior grad students from your university/country to compare with.

We've discussed this on several occasions here on TM. israelecon is probably the hot candidate for micro theory from Israel and his LORs said so, which leads to the obvious admit, given the quality of the LORs.

No surprise at all. I would expect more admits.

Congrats BTW.

israelecon
02-18-2008, 11:41 PM
i'm not saying grades aren't important, i am just saying that you can't compare an A or A+ or A- in different universities and definitely not in different countries where the grading system is different. Calculus in Israel is different than calculus in the US. For example, a lot is made of Real Analysis, measure theory and topology. I am majoring in math(and in israel a major means that all your courses are in that field, so i am taking in total about 20 math courses) and none of them are among the three i mentioned. But obviously someone majoring in math in Israel has an excellent background in math. but apparently in th US if you didn't learn real analysis you have a good background but not excellent.

So given that the adcoms have to decide between grades whose quality cannot easily be distinguished they try to find other things. For one university that might be how much math background you have, for another it might be if you have won some special award.

Chicunomics
02-18-2008, 11:49 PM
I also agree as an international applicant here with what's being said above (but also -- to a point...!). I'm sure I benefitted from the fact that there is a current 3rd year PhD student at NYU who came from my university, who I gather is doing well, and I ranked better than him in my year than he did in his year in the exact same degree.

But then, when like israelecon you have an 800-800-6 GRE, top of a 1200 person course, and near-perfect grades, getting into NYU is like using a sledgehammer to crack open a walnut ;)

israelecon
02-18-2008, 11:52 PM
about what econphilomath said: it has a lot to do with luck, i.e. it depends who else from your country is applying, because they probably don't want to overload a class with too many applicants from the same country.
one of my recommenders who is also a prof at NWU said that the way it works is if they get an application from country X they usually give the file to someone from the same country and so if that guy isn't there the day they make the decisions you may be screwed, so its a lot of luck for internationals.
as to what you said about my LORs, they all told me in advance that they cannot write that much except that i have taken there class and received very high grades (so they are not such great LORs). But, i think the more facts the recommenders put in the better, and i don't think enthusiasm in the LORs really helps, because unless your recommender has written a paper with you, lets face it, he doesn't really know what your potential is. it also has to do with you recommenders previouos recommendations. if he is known as an honest recommender a decent letter will help you much more than a great recommendation from someone who has previously given great recommendations to those who haven't really deserved them.

econphilomath
02-18-2008, 11:56 PM
about what econphilomath said: it has a lot to do with luck, i.e. it depends who else from your country is applying, because they probably don't want to overload a class with too many applicants from the same country.
one of my recommenders who is also a prof at NWU said that the way it works is if they get an application from country X they usually give the file to someone from the same country and so if that guy isn't there the day they make the decisions you may be screwed, so its a lot of luck for internationals.
as to what you said about my LORs, they all told me in advance that they cannot write that much except that i have taken there class and received very high grades (so they are not such great LORs). But, i think the more facts the recommenders put in the better, and i don't think enthusiasm in the LORs really helps, because unless your recommender has written a paper with you, lets face it, he doesn't really know what your potential is. it also has to do with you recommenders previouos recommendations. if he is known as an honest recommender a decent letter will help you much more than a great recommendation from someone who has previously given great recommendations to those who haven't really deserved them.

All true, totally agree. Your also ****ed if the connection is on leave,sabbatical, trip...(little bad for me):(

israelecon
02-18-2008, 11:58 PM
chicunomics, my point is exactly that. see you think i have near perfect grades because my average is 97/100, but what you don't know are that most math test in my university are out of 110 so you can get 10 percent wrong and still get 100, also most economics courses are factored so that they automatically raise everyones grades by 10-15 points to keep the average around 80, so even if you get 85 on a test you may get 100 in the course, not exactly near perfect. So its true that even with the tests out of 110 the average is about 60 in math (because math is really hard in israel), but my point is just that fancy grades aren't always as fancy as they appear and the adcoms know that and thats why they prefer to rely on other signals.

polkaparty
02-19-2008, 12:01 AM
For example, a lot is made of Real Analysis, measure theory and topology. I am majoring in math(and in israel a major means that all your courses are in that field, so i am taking in total about 20 math courses) and none of them are among the three i mentioned.

I doubt that you haven't seen any of the topics covered in a typical U.S. analysis course. Analysis is perhaps the most important subfield of mathematics, a math degree without it would be odd indeed.

I think it's clear that you have an awesome profile, so you don't need to worry or think that people will discount your grades. Your university is more well known and higher ranked than many universities in the U.S.

israelecon
02-19-2008, 12:05 AM
I doubt that you haven't seen any of the topics covered in a typical U.S. analysis course. Analysis is perhaps the most important subfield of mathematics, a math degree without it would be odd indeed.

my point was just that someone reading my profile will not know that because they may not know what a calculus course is in israel. I ihave no idea what the difference is between calculus and analysis (here(in israel) its the same thing). so if anyone could enlighten me that would be helpful.

pevdoki1
02-19-2008, 01:06 AM
Calculus in US: no proofs, concentrates on learning the mechanics (Taking derivatives, integrating, testing convergence of infinite series, Lagrange multipliers etc)

Real Analysis in US: Constructing the real numbers, compactness, Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem, rigorous convergence results (series and sequences), proving things like L'Hopital's rule (REAL proofs), integration, the Stieltjes integral, sometimes measure theory etc. The point is that you prove everything you use in calculus (AND precalculus) rigorously.

israelecon
02-19-2008, 01:12 AM
ok, i see. because in israel there is no such thing as doing anything in math that was not proven rigorously. very little stress on mechanics almost all entirely theoretical, lectures basically consist of theorems and proofs nothing else.

pevdoki1
02-19-2008, 01:15 AM
It just happens that many people in the U.S. who take Calculus are people who need to know how to take a derivative for a management major; they are not talented at math and cannot prove anything. So the real stuff is left for those who are interested.

zsla
02-19-2008, 01:17 AM
I am sorry to say this guys. But NYU is a place that the ones with links have a very good chance. Being good is not enough. This is true for all schools but with differing weights. This weight is significant in NYU. You should either be very good (i.e. getting into MIT) or good and have contacts.

But this is not bad. NYU is the place with highest excess demand. So, other criteria play a big role inevitably.

appliedtheorist
02-19-2008, 01:22 AM
Until last year I did not even know how to rigorously prove anything - but I was willing to listen and learn. Why do you guys immediately judge people who were simply not taught how to do rigorous mathematics? My take is that, if you are motivated enough, you should be able to study mathematics at a sufficiently high level (for PhD courses in economics) in up to two years. To be perfectly honest, if someone has decent A's in five or so mathematics courses (including real analysis, proof-based linear algebra, differential equations and maybe some introductory functional analysis), that would be sufficient to convince me that this person has a solid grip of the material and will be able to fill in any gaps that might occur on his/her way through the PhD jungle.

Maybe I am just trying to justify my very own lack of higher-order mathematics...well, whatever :-)

polkaparty
02-19-2008, 01:23 AM
This is true for all schools but with differing weights. This weight is significant in NYU.

Any chance you want to provide a casual ranking of top schools from most heavily weighted to least? After all we do so love rankings....

polkaparty
02-19-2008, 01:25 AM
My take is that, if you are motivated enough, you should be able to study mathematics at a sufficiently high level (for PhD courses in economics) in up to two years.

Two years is certainly enough, even for people interested in a math PhD.

zsla
02-19-2008, 01:26 AM
Any chance you want to provide a casual ranking of top schools from most heavily weighted to least? After all we do so love rankings....

I wish I knew that :) But I know three Professors who directly send their top two students to NYU every year.

israelecon
02-19-2008, 01:27 AM
obviously anyone can pick up the math as they go along. i was just wondering because i wanted to know if i should be worried that in the US people learn more math. i actually think though that it is easier to pick up the technique than to pick up how to do rigorous mathematics, but anything can be learned.

econphilomath
02-19-2008, 01:30 AM
Until last year I did not even know how to rigorously prove anything - but I was willing to listen and learn. Why do you guys immediately judge people who were simply not taught how to do rigorous mathematics? My take is that, if you are motivated enough, you should be able to study mathematics at a sufficiently high level (for PhD courses in economics) in up to two years. To be perfectly honest, if someone has decent A's in five or so mathematics courses (including real analysis, proof-based linear algebra, differential equations and maybe some introductory functional analysis), that would be sufficient to convince me that this person has a solid grip of the material and will be able to fill in any gaps that might occur on his/her way through the PhD jungle.

Maybe I am just trying to justify my very own lack of higher-order mathematics...well, whatever :-)

I also agree that the knowledge of advanced math is overblown. Sure it is nice to have, but smart people learn fast and before you know it your "super rigorous" lead will not be all that relevant in four years time. Having said that, I am sure that having a good background in math helps a lot, but lets not get carried away.

econphilomath
02-19-2008, 01:36 AM
I am sorry to say this guys. But NYU is a place that the ones with links have a very good chance. Being good is not enough. This is true for all schools but with differing weights. This weight is significant in NYU. You should either be very good (i.e. getting into MIT) or good and have contacts.

But this is not bad. NYU is the place with highest excess demand. So, other criteria play a big role inevitably.

I feel ya... was just missing the coneX :doh: (of course that sounds better than the plain oul "you suck" explanation)

israelecon
02-19-2008, 01:39 AM
the most help rigorous math will give you is because the adcoms like it, and you'll have a bit of a headstart in the first year. i for one don't remember anything i learned in linear algebra and some other math courses, the important thing is to be able to learn something when you will need it. other than the above things i said i think the most important thing about learning math in undergrad(especially rigorous math) is that you won't be afraid to pick up a math book and learn it on your own when you need to.

AstralTraveller
02-19-2008, 02:00 AM
Anyway...I must admit I'm enjoying my summer reading of Measure Theoretic Foundations for Econometrics. Harder to grasp, but a lot more fun than Baby Rudin. ;)

Hypercube
02-19-2008, 02:12 AM

I completely agree!

In most fields in Math, it does not matter really how much classes you've taken or how much you know. What matters most is if you are enterprising enough to solve difficult problems. I, for example, took Calculus I three years ago ,but I ended up solving a problem that professors (including a researcher with a PhD in Math from Penn) collaboratively failed to figure out. Although knowledge is essential in fields like Analysis (and its subfields: DFQ, PDE, Probability, etc.), creativity is still much more important than ones exposure to Mathematics. I imagine the same can be said for Economic research.

As a side note, a brilliant students can easily pick up a book and learn the subject on his/her own. Munkres, in his Topology book, for example, cited that all of the theorems, with perhaps the exception of Urysohn's Lemma, can be easily proven by a hard-working and moderately-creative student without any prior exposure to the subject!

polkaparty
02-19-2008, 03:17 AM
As a side note, a brilliant students can easily pick up a book and learn the subject on his/her own. Munkres, in his Topology book, for example, cited that all of the theorems, with perhaps the exception of Urysohn's Lemma, can be easily proven by a hard-working and moderately-creative student without any prior exposure to the subject!

True, for mathematics students. The entire mathematics body of knowledge is so huge no one could ever hope to understand it all. So mathematics training is mostly supposed to bring you to the level where you can pick up a text on a specialized topic and learn it yourself.

Nonetheless, I do think there is a minimal amount of previous training required to appreciate certain nuances.

Olm
02-19-2008, 05:20 AM
but I ended up solving a problem that professors (including a researcher with a PhD in Math from Penn) collaboratively failed to figure out.

/facepalm

Anyway, I am studying "rigorous" mathematics on my own right now. It's difficult but doable. Then again, I was exposed to some theorems and such in the PhD courses I have taken thus far.

Ancalagon The Black
02-19-2008, 05:25 AM
Well, I am doing Real Analysis (equivalent to RAI and RAII) right now on my own through an open university system - basically learning it through my own because my education system is rigid and does not allow any additional classes ... :(

MzSunshine
02-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Wow, I was away from my computer all weekend, and seems like I missed a ton! Congrats to all the NYU admits :D

Are the rejects on gradcafe real? I'm a bit confused after reading through the thread whether they really sent the rejects out already as well, and if so, are the rest of us who didn't hear anything on the waitlist? Or since there seem to be a ton of admits, are we really rejected, too, and they haven't gotten around to telling us yet? Can anyone shed some light on that, please?

econphilomath
02-19-2008, 02:59 PM
So far no CONFIRMED rejects at NYU. Just a bunch of un-admits will lower egos than last week.

Ecorleone
02-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Count me in that group.
Very low ego this week.....(Thanks Cornell!!! I hate Ithaca)

Ancalagon The Black
02-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Lowest ego. Complete radio silence.

Mr.Keen
02-19-2008, 04:36 PM
Lowest ego. Complete radio silence.

Believe me, that's not the lowest.

Ancalagon The Black
02-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Why not? I don't have any news.

No news is good news?

econphilomath
02-19-2008, 04:53 PM
No news is bad news, and bad news is worse... nuff said.