PDA

View Full Version : World of Warcraft guild for econ Testmagic-ers

polkaparty
02-17-2008, 05:44 AM
trjohnson and myself are going to create a guild for people on the ECON testmagic forum on the U.S. Venture Co. server, Horde side.

trjohnson has some established characters on this server and has generously offered to help some of us who are new to this server get started with bags, etc.

I will be creating a new character to level and play with y'all. If anyone else here enjoys this game and wants to play with the econ group, follow-up in this thread.

You can contact trjohnson in game by whispering Gikk or Henri.

[Note: asquare, please don't move this thread. It's meant only for members of the economics forum, not the general testmagic forum. We should allow at least one non-economics related thread if it helps build the community....]

08Applicant
02-17-2008, 05:47 AM
This is too nerdy. Go to timeout.

Timeout will be held at a local bar. You must drink (only beer or mixed drinks that are brown or clear in color are acceptable) and engage three women in conversation.

Ancalagon The Black
02-17-2008, 05:48 AM
OK. We all need to get admitted somewhere, preferably with full funding. Fast!!

Olm
02-17-2008, 05:49 AM
I used to play... venture co is pvp-rp, right? Anyway, if I get in anywhere good, I'll be worthy enough to join you ivy-bound TM gods in your guild. :)

Karina 07
02-17-2008, 06:04 AM
This would be pretty ironic for me. Way back in high school, I was addicted to a (different) online game, and when I got to university I quit it cold turkey midway through my first year as I realized that with the extent of my addiction I'd never be able to follow through on my dreams to get a good scholarship for a good grad school and yadda yadda yadda. I told myself that after I got that, I'd go back to the game.... Years later, I enrolled in a good master's program with a good scholarship, but didn't go back.... And now I don't think I ever could, because there is continually a next ring to shoot for -- and because I was pretty darn addicted.

Anyway. So I'll decline but wish you luck and live vicariously through y'all's venture, reliving the days of my youth like a stodgy old person. :P

Figured this would make a good 500th post. I've been saving it.

08Applicant
02-17-2008, 06:12 AM
This would be pretty ironic for me. Way back in high school, I was addicted to a (different) online game, and when I got to university I quit it cold turkey midway through my first year as I realized that with the extent of my addiction I'd never be able to follow through on my dreams to get a good scholarship for a good grad school and yadda yadda yadda. I told myself that after I got that, I'd go back to the game.... Years later, I enrolled in a good master's program with a good scholarship, but didn't go back.... And now I don't think I ever could, because there is continually a next ring to shoot for -- and because I was pretty darn addicted.

Anyway. So I'll decline but wish you luck and live vicariously through y'all's venture, reliving the days of my youth like a stodgy old person. :P

Figured this would make a good 500th post. I've been saving it.

Everquest, DAOC, Diablo 2, Warcraft? Or were you into the FPS genre?

Why aren't my friends calling me back? I don't want to sit here answering these posts on a Saturday night on my three day weekend.

trjohnson
02-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Nerd alert! Nerd alert! *siren sounds*

But seriously. This is probably only marginally more nerdy than subjecting one's self to addiction to an economics forum. Or admission's results. Take everything in moderation, and you're not a nerd. You're just a dude. Playing a game. Or a fan of Adam Smith :).

C152dude
02-17-2008, 04:18 PM
Ehhh... we have had this conversation before.

Making a Call of Duty 4 or Team Fortress 2 clan would be much better.

... boom headshot.

econphilomath
02-17-2008, 04:42 PM
I am proud to be a nerd.

Although I desperatly need a time out....

Luckykid
02-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Let me give you the typical profile of everyone I know that plays WOW. They are the ones who live at their parents house in their same room from high school; with black curtains on the windows for "perfect game lighting". They are the ones that constantly complain that college is unfair and the professors and TA's are beneath them. With the coin phrase of "I learned all that stuff in high school I am not going to pay to learn it again" after they have gotten kicked out of their local community college that was their back up plan after getting kicked out of the big state school. Things are starting to look up for the WOW player as they have just gotten a part time job at Best Buy so they can "pick up that sweet new graphics card". From what I have seen WOW is not an effect of “misguidance” it is typically the cause.

WOW-> Mis-allocation-> Failure->Anger->Hate->The Dark Side(and not the MBA kind)

Now I will warn anyone who is thinking of getting into WOW it can be worse then a substance addiction and could easily end a very hectic Ph.D. Career.

A.)

http://www.cs.unc.edu/NewsAndNotes/Issue25/Issue25.photo3.jpg

or

B.)

http://www.monochrom.at/english/wow.jpg

polkaparty
02-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Let me give you the typical profile of everyone I know that plays WOW.

I thought the pictures were funny, but I must correct your stereotyping. There are more than 10 million people who play WoW; it's quite an inclusive tent. My guild (not the TM one =p ) has a substantial number of married couples and other ordinary adults. I know about 3-4 other people at my university who play (this is out of an already small group of friends though), and they're all `normal' by most standards.

It's certainly not for everyone of course. For me, I have always felt there was a struggle between study and play. I now realize that it is possible to balance the two and lead a happy life. Now, what you do for play is up to you, but don't judge too harshly what people decide to do.

With that said, the "normal" people who play WoW are the ones who can enjoy jokes like the South Park episode the most.

Ancalagon The Black
02-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Baldur's Gate anyone?

Olm
02-17-2008, 05:40 PM

... boom headshot.

I have 3 golden guns, working on getting the rest;

... boom headshot! :tup:

Thesus
02-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Baldur's Gate anyone?

Probably my favourite game ever (assuming you're talking about the original PC series), but the multiplayer experience doesn't work that well.

EconPL
02-17-2008, 06:18 PM
Probably my favourite game ever (assuming you're talking about the original PC series), but the multiplayer experience doesn't work that well.

Yeah. Baldur's Gate was/is an amazing game. My all time favourite :)

Andronicus
02-17-2008, 07:07 PM
Baldur's Gate anyone?

I loved Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2, as well the related Icewind Dale series and Planescape: Torment. I never really got into MMORPGs.

sonicskat
02-17-2008, 07:08 PM
Good luck playing games next year everyone...

trjohnson
02-17-2008, 07:53 PM
You really nailed who I am with that post, LuckyKid. :rolleyes:

trjohnson
02-17-2008, 07:54 PM

... boom headshot.

What's your TF2 id?

jaw17
02-17-2008, 08:31 PM
Has everyone listened to "Hail to the Geek" by Deaf Pedestrians (http://www.myspace.com/deafpedestrians)? Sounds like it could be your mantra.

The question, though, is whether anyone on here is dorky - and by that I mean awesome - enough to have played real role-playing games...

Andronicus
02-17-2008, 08:35 PM
I was so dorky, I couldn't play real RPGs because I didn't have friends to play them with me.

econphilomath
02-17-2008, 08:51 PM
I loved Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2, as well the related Icewind Dale series and Planescape: Torment. I never really got into MMORPGs.

I'm such a nerd, I read the books that inspired the games...

Has everyone listened to "Hail to the Geek" by Deaf Pedestrians (http://www.myspace.com/deafpedestrians)? Sounds like it could be your mantra.

The question, though, is whether anyone on here is dorky - and by that I mean awesome - enough to have played real role-playing games...

I'm so dorky I not only played, I was D&D master....

BTW, this discusion is pretty pathetic given its on an economics forum which flouts the geekiest of the geek.

Karina 07
02-17-2008, 09:01 PM
given its on an economics forum which flouts the geekiest of the geek.

I bet if all the lurkers posted we could have a dozen former DMs represent. ;)

Luckykid
02-17-2008, 09:24 PM
You really nailed who I am with that post, LuckyKid. :rolleyes:

+1 Awesome!

trjohnson
02-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Actually, before WOW, I never really played video games. I was too busy with soccer. So unfortunately, I'm not representin' like the rest of you guys. :D

Thesus
02-17-2008, 11:19 PM
I bet if all the lurkers posted we could have a dozen former DMs represent. ;)

Can add me to that list.

marxecat
02-17-2008, 11:20 PM
Are any of you active in Second Life? If you have any interest in the economic, policy and business issues associated with virtual worlds, you may be interested in the weekly events held by Metanomics.net. Additionally, I've been running some economic experiments on trust and reciprocity and we could discuss that. You can also message me in SL as Curric Vita.

Karina 07
02-18-2008, 03:53 AM
or

B.)

http://www.monochrom.at/english/wow.jpg

It occurs to me this might not be too far off what a TMer can become, especially those of y'all anxiously waiting to hear back from places in the next few weeks. Hee hee. :D

TruDog
02-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Shouldn't this thread be in the lounge? It has as much relevance to econ PhDs as the cloned Manning v. Favre poll that got moved.

polkaparty
02-18-2008, 02:08 PM
Shouldn't this thread be in the lounge? It has as much relevance to econ PhDs as the cloned Manning v. Favre poll that got moved.

If you read the first post in this thread you'll see why it's here. I was trying to gather people from the econ forum only. How many people here read the lounge anyway? The TM econ community resides here, not in the lounge. A single off topic thread here and there doesn't hurt.