PDA

View Full Version : Starting a thread for Brown applicants

nervouslywaiting
02-17-2008, 07:02 AM
I just feel like starting this thread. Couple of questions:

1. Usual one -- when should we expect to hear any news?

2. Anybody puts Brown as their top choice? I do -- especially after heard Duke rejection (I put both as my top choice).

3. Do you consider Brown Econ as 1st or 2nd tier program (or less)? I'm an international student; I always thought that Brown Econ, given its Ivy League status, is among the top tier program. But now I learned that it is not.

Anyway, I applied to Brown not because of their ranking. Because it's among the best in Devt Econ, offers an Econ/Population track, one of my undergrad profs graduated from there and he still has a strong contact with some Brown profs, and now my former Master's thesis (I got a Master's degree from the US) moved to the Watson Institute.

Olm
02-17-2008, 08:07 AM
(1) You can expect to hear before April 15th. Seriously now, we can only guess: schools vary their notifications year to year, so there is nothing you can do but wait. For example, NYU is releasing admits now, over two weeks ahead of last year; while Rochester is already a week slower than last year for their admits.

(2) I don't see many people on these forums applying to Brown, given its rank, and given its propensity for unfunded admits that ask for $50k in tuition...

(3) It all depends on how you define "tier", of course, but a degree from Brown is prestigious enough to get you a job wherever you want after graduation so long as your research is exceptional.

macroeconomicus
02-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Brown is a 3rd tierish program at best. It's certainly not a top 10 program. Neither it is comparable to second tier schools like say NYU, Columbia, or Michigan. Nonetheless, it's a very good department to study just that field. If you get in, consider yourself lucky. They get about 600 applications for about 20 seats.

dr_Shpak
02-17-2008, 11:21 AM
I applyed there.
and will be very happy to get there because of one professor in my field and also location is extrimaly important to me.

umdist
02-17-2008, 11:45 AM
me too. I am not sure about their funding policy. I hope to hear the rejects or admits in the next week. since waiting and refreshing your emails is killing me

fp3690
02-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Brown is a 3rd tierish program at best. It's certainly not a top 10 program. Neither it is comparable to second tier schools like say NYU, Columbia, or Michigan. Nonetheless, it's a very good department to study just that field. If you get in, consider yourself lucky. They get about 600 applications for about 20 seats.

NYU is not second tier.

fp3690
02-17-2008, 12:13 PM

NYU is not second tier.

Thesus
02-17-2008, 12:21 PM
The problem is, of course, that second-tier is a very subjective term. I could classify, say, Princeton as third tier:
First: Harvard, MIT
Second: Chicago
Third: other schools including Princeton.

I would rank Brown in the 25-30 range. I would expect to hear their admits later in the season, since their deadline was later than many other schools.

AstralTraveller
02-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Well... another Brown hopeful here, but I applied there for the wrong reasons: one single professor doing the things I'm insterested in. If I finally enroll there, and anybody hires this professor elsewhere, I'm screwed. ;)

fp3690
02-17-2008, 02:12 PM
The problem is, of course, that second-tier is a very subjective term. I could classify, say, Princeton as third tier:
First: Harvard, MIT
Second: Chicago
Third: other schools including Princeton.

I would rank Brown in the 25-30 range. I would expect to hear their admits later in the season, since their deadline was later than many other schools.

In that sense yes, but you would need to establish at least 10 tiers. Anyway, we're getting off topic.

Thesus
02-17-2008, 02:30 PM
True.
Brown offers a field specialization in economic growth, which was my main draw.

Olm
02-17-2008, 06:34 PM
Anyway, we're getting off topic.

I hear it snows a lot in Rhode Island this time of year, what do you think? :whistle:

adnormous
02-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Brown turns out to be my dream school now, after being rejected by NYU(I did not get the email on February 16th). At the moment I am anxious waiting for the result!!

dr_Shpak
02-17-2008, 07:41 PM
Do you know any other school with field studies ?

bertthepuppy
02-18-2008, 12:38 AM
Providence has the most good restaurants per capita. This is because of Johnson and Wales (Culinary School). Just a side note.

nervouslywaiting
02-20-2008, 02:52 AM
First Brown result at thegradcafe. Called by the prof, not the admission office or department.

AstralTraveller
02-20-2008, 03:16 AM
First Brown result at thegradcafe. Called by the prof, not the admission office or department.

But it looks as unofficial at best: "he told me I would likely be admitted". It could be anything. :hmm:

Ecorleone
02-20-2008, 03:26 AM
But it looks as unofficial at best: "he told me I would likely be admitted". It could be anything. :hmm:

I agree, it could be anything. Lets wait for some official posts to start getting nervous.

Internationalstudent08
02-20-2008, 04:15 AM
brown is a nice school. i have visited it once and i applied there, although i wouldn't be very excited about going there. however, i think that providence is fine and the area around the university are fine. perhaps your life will be better if you drive. that's what people have told me

Internationalstudent08
02-28-2008, 12:48 PM
any news from this university? has anybody contacted their secretaries or coordinators?

sam1982
02-28-2008, 04:09 PM
Brown has always been one of my top choices, ahead of Columbia and NYU, because of their strength in growth and macro-development. I suppose this is lucky becasue I haven't heard anything from Columbia or NYU!

Assumed Rejected: Columbia, NYU
Waiting: Harvard, Brown, Oxford, UBC (MA)

Valhalla
02-28-2008, 04:20 PM

Sorry for derailing a little but NYU is a second tier program for you? Where is mini-me Rubinstein* when he/she is needed?? Isrealecon are u around somewhere? Can you confirm this sort of ranking?

*my special thanks for the invention of this nickname are dedicated towards econphilomath.

Chumi
02-28-2008, 04:34 PM
Brown is my second top choice (my first one is UCLA). Since I assume that I have low chance to be admitted at UCLA, it could be awesome to get an admission at Brown.

In addition, I'm very interesting in macro-development and growth so....

:tup: Vamos Brown carajo!!!

econphilomath
02-28-2008, 04:43 PM
Sorry for derailing a little but NYU is a second tier program for you? Where is mini-me Rubinstein* when he/she is needed?? Isrealecon are u around somewhere? Can you confirm this sort of ranking?

*my special thanks for the invention of this nickname are dedicated towards econphilomath.

I think mini-me would have a nice spicy sarcastic comment on how this guys prefereces aren't all messed up. I can't do it...

BTW we now know mini-me is actually a guy. Somehow thats conforting, I'm not sure why.

Valhalla
02-28-2008, 04:55 PM
BTW we now know mini-me is actually a guy. Somehow thats conforting, I'm not sure why.

Oh no! Don't say this... it's dangerous in this forum to say things like that... with all those "hardcore women" around! :devil:

But ok, fine let them come! I'll stay with you!! :boxing:

btw: I know exactly what you mean :tup: