PDA

View Full Version : no email from nyu... so means rejected

umdist
02-17-2008, 09:42 AM
hey guys
when i looked at grad cafe in the previous years nyu admits are in the beginning of march and the rejects follows it. i will be wrong since i did not look very careful. does any body know that if i did not receive any email means that i am rejected. does nyu send all admits at one time-and that was saturday night

econdreamer
02-17-2008, 10:35 AM
So, does all admitted students get "MacCracken Scholarship"? If this is true, then probably there is still possibility of new offers for us....

Olm
02-17-2008, 06:39 PM
No need to start another thread. Please post in the other NYU thread.

Remember, it is always better to post in an existing thread than to start a new one ;)

adnormous
02-17-2008, 06:44 PM
I think so. It is always better to think of the worst scenario!

econphilomath
02-18-2008, 12:15 AM
Yes, the consensus is that if you didn't get an admit last night, your ****ked and all that is left is to sit tight and wait for those lucky few to start declining. (which tends to happen late if at all.)

So to summaraize: You just found out your girlfriend is cheating on you, you get a sinking feeling in your gut, you feel like ****, and you can either :

1) stalk her for a month, call at 1am and hang up, throw darts at her picture, all while secretly waiting for a call from her asking to take you back (i.e. wait for NYU to call)

or 2) Move on, forget all about her, burn everything she gave you (brochures of NY etc) and imagine she never existed. Most importantly find some other girl (phd program) to help you forget about her quickly...for example that cute blonde with the great bod sitting over there at the end of the bar checking you out... (i.e. MIT, O-yea)

Got it. Now everyone of us NYU rejects, just keep your head up and keep punching that piece of dead meat. Remember, Rocky lost his first big fight too, but then went on to kick Drago's ***.

Cimbom
02-18-2008, 12:24 AM
Is there anyone who managed to get into MIT, after being rejected from NYU? Guess not :(

bertthepuppy
02-18-2008, 12:26 AM
Is there anyone who managed to get into MIT, after being rejected from NYU? Guess not :(
Possibly...definitely if they got an NSF!

ekonomiks
02-18-2008, 12:26 AM
Yes, the consensus is that if you didn't get an admit last night, your ****ked and all that is left is to sit tight and wait for those lucky few to start declining. (which tends to happen late if at all.)

So to summaraize: You just found out your girlfriend is cheating on you, you get a sinking feeling in your gut, you feel like ****, and you can either :

1) stalk her for a month, call at 1am and hang up, throw darts at her picture, all while secretly waiting for a call from her asking to take you back (i.e. wait for NYU to call)

or 2) Move on, forget all about her, burn everything she gave you (brochures of NY etc) and imagine she never existed. Most importantly find some other girl (phd program) to help you forget about her quickly...for example that cute blonde with the great bod sitting over there at the end of the bar checking you out... (i.e. MIT, O-yea)

Got it. Now everyone of us NYU rejects, just keep your head up and keep punching that piece of dead meat. Remember, Rocky lost his first big fight too, but then went on to kick Drago's ***.

Jesus, you guys are taking all this admission stuff pretty seriously, huh?

econphilomath
02-18-2008, 12:28 AM

You have no way of knowing that. Last year we had tons of examples of non-transitivity in preferences by adcoms. People no getting into a 10-20 ranked U and getting into Stanford or NWU for example.

Sounds like girly-girl talk to me. It an´t over till its over and if TM has helped me learn one thing, it is that adimitions (past a minimum bound) are random.

Thesus
02-18-2008, 12:30 AM
Jesus, you guys are taking all this admission stuff pretty seriously, huh?

Up at five am, running up and down stairs with 'Eye of the Tiger' playing from my boombox. :p

econphilomath
02-18-2008, 12:35 AM
Up at five am, running up and down stairs with 'Eye of the Tiger' playing from my boombox. :p

YEEEEEAAAAA BABYYYYY thats what I'm talking about!

Its either that or crying in bed, curled up in fetal postion...shivering, cold and sweaty, repeatedly wimpering out loud..."Why, NYU, why....whats wrong with me.....ahhh"

AstralTraveller
02-18-2008, 01:22 AM

Do you people remember in the 80's (I was a toddler back then) when musicians said "I want my MTV"? (when MTV had something to do with music).

Right now all I want to say is "I want my NYU" :)

Can't think about anything but admissions, esp. since my 1-week summer holiday began two days ago after finishing my RA duties. Haven't prepared the Econometrics class I have to lecture this semester, and can't get my hands on it. All I care about is if anybody is going to accept me :wacko:

Olm
02-18-2008, 02:45 AM
Just don't take my UCSD spot, okay Astral? :) At an absolute minimum I think you're in at Penn State. And if you aren't out at Duke by now, you're probably on the waiting list there.

Ancalagon The Black
02-18-2008, 03:54 AM
"I want my MTV" - Dire Straits, Money For Nothing !!

macroeconomicus
02-18-2008, 04:13 AM
hey guys
when i looked at grad cafe in the previous years nyu admits are in the beginning of march and the rejects follows it. i will be wrong since i did not look very careful. does any body know that if i did not receive any email means that i am rejected. does nyu send all admits at one time-and that was saturday night

I don't know about this year, but I heard that NYU usually gives the number offers that equals to the size of class that they want to see in the fall. If some of those who got offers in the first round rejected them, then those offers were usually passed to other applicants.

macroeconomicus
02-18-2008, 04:14 AM

Maybe without funding. Totally possible I think.

Antonio
02-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Bloody hell!

Although it sounds a bit sad...I think that since I have not received any mail from NYU it means that I am out...I feel so bad....

statrics
02-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Bloody hell!

Although it sounds a bit sad...I think that since I have not received any mail from NYU it means that I am out...I feel so bad....

Dear buddy, we are in the same boat. Where is my first offer?:whistle:

Ancalagon The Black
02-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Same boat. Complete radio silence.

Ecorleone
02-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Official news... from an unofficial source...
NYU makes more than two rounds of offers (how many?? I don’t know)
The official first round will be made by the end of this week (official notification)
Then it will be follow up by more...
I was very happy to hear this, I got my hope back!!!

No mail doesn’t mean anything bad!!!! Just means wait

Ancalagon The Black
02-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Where did you hear this news from friend? Is this reliable?

econphilomath
02-19-2008, 03:31 PM
Official news... from an unofficial source...
NYU makes more than two rounds of offers (how many?? I donít know)
The official first round will be made by the end of this week (official notification)
Then it will be follow up by more...
I was very happy to hear this, I got my hope back!!!

No mail doesnít mean anything bad!!!! Just means wait

We had on TM at least 9 confirmed admits to NYU. I can confirm another not on TM. We saw about 15-20 on thegradcafe. We also know NYU sends out 30 admits for a class of 20. It seems to me that the first 30 admits are out and the second round which you mention is only to fill in for the people who will decline after they get better offers.

I would not expect to hear any more new admits from NYU until be get some news from UChicago, Harvard, Princeton, MIT, or others who are largely preferred to NYU by most applicants.

Yes there is still hope. But, I would not wait standing since people who get lots of admits tend to suddenly feel confused and suffer from weird preferences and only deffer at the last minute. At least not until after fly-outs. Sooo take your "hope" and stick it... no just joking, anything can happen but we have to be patient.

Ecorleone
02-19-2008, 03:40 PM
Where did you hear this news from friend? Is this reliable?

100% reliable. No mail means the adcom has not made a decision on you yet.

Ecorleone
02-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Econphilomath,... you are absolutely right. The ones that have already been (un- officially) notified have priority. But we do not know how many official notifications will be issued.
As far as I am concern, no mail means no news... but obviously (as you say) our possibilities of getting accepted are < than the accepted ones and > than the rejected ones.... then I still have hope!!!

Ancalagon The Black
02-19-2008, 03:45 PM
Ok. I think I will shiver some more.

DuckyDuck
02-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Hey guys, let's get this straight: have there been any rejects at all? I guess if more than 1000 people apply every year, a bit more than 2-3 rejects should be posted on gradcafe, don't you think? Cause what you're saying essentially implies there were 20 first-round admits and another 980+ waitlisted (not-yet-notified) students - with a bit of rejects thrown in just in case... weird, huh? :hmm:

DD

Ecorleone
02-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Hey guys, let's get this straight: have there been any rejects at all? I guess if more than 1000 people apply every year, a bit more than 2-3 rejects should be posted on gradcafe, don't you think? Cause what you're saying essentially implies there were 20 first-round admits and another 980+ waitlisted (not-yet-notified) students - with a bit of rejects thrown in just in case... weird, huh? :hmm:

DD

It only means that (lets say it is a random process) our previous chance was 30 over 1000 ok?
No lets say they accepted 30 (so far) and rejected 100. Then our chances to get in are 20 over 870...
and so on.. for the next rounds...

I will keep my hope until I get my rejection letter. jejeje

econphilomath
02-19-2008, 04:30 PM
I think with the 9 admits on TM, that its pretty safe to say 30 admits have gone out.

That means no more admits will go out until someone declines...

There is no going around that. The adcom HAS made a decision on you because they decided not to accept you and to accept someone else.

While surely people who have not been emailed yet will eventually get in, it is now in the hands of the admitted to decline.

Also, note that the universities gain nothing from notifying your rejection, thus no rejections have gone out and normally, they come in March-April, if they let you know at all...

08Applicant
02-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Also, note that the universities gain nothing from notifying your rejection, thus no rejections have gone out and normally, they come in March-April, if they let you know at all...

The grad secretary harrassed by a very vocal minority* of the 950 impatient uninformed NYU applicants disagrees. But his/her opinion doesn't carry much weight I guess.

*This vocal minority has quite a bit of overlap with TM.

econphilomath
02-19-2008, 04:51 PM
The grad secretary harrassed by a very vocal minority* of the 950 impatient uninformed NYU applicants disagrees. But his/her opinion doesn't carry much weight I guess.

Good point! Lol :D

PS I can't give you anymore rep points, but you deserve'em

AstralTraveller
02-19-2008, 04:53 PM

Poof! You almost made me spill my medicines all over my keyboard! :crazy:

This certainly made me laugh my a** off!

Ecorleone
02-19-2008, 04:57 PM
Good point! Lol :D

PS I can't give you anymore rep points, but you deserve'em

What are the rep points??

econphilomath
02-19-2008, 05:09 PM
If you like what someone has posted you can give them reputation points by clicking on the scale on the bottom left corner. The green boxes under the amount of posts represents the "levels of reputation". Your is "just joined"
while polkaparty's says she is a TestMagic Guru and Reactor's says he is served tea by the Test Magic Inner Circle or something like that... its just to mess around I guess.

08Applicant
02-19-2008, 05:26 PM
If you like what someone has posted you can give them reputation points by clicking on the scale on the bottom left corner. The green boxes under the amount of posts represents the "levels of reputation". Your is "just joined"
while polkaparty's says she is a TestMagic Guru and Reactor's says he is served tea by the Test Magic Inner Circle or something like that... its just to mess around I guess.

Polka is a she? You learn something new every day.

I've already stopped caring about getting news from NYU. It's not my first choice and I don't have it in me to stress over this crap for another 3-5 weeks. I'll just happily assume that no news means I'm #1 on the waiting list until I hear otherwise.

econphilomath
02-19-2008, 05:29 PM
Polka is a she? You learn something new every day.

I can't confirm that. :hmm:

There was a thread a while ago on how we all assumed posters were all male. Well I just assumed the opposite and not because of anything that has been said...If he/she had an avatar it might be easier. (hope I'm right or else someone will be pissed off!)

I guess we'll know soon enough ...

Chicunomics
02-19-2008, 10:50 PM
I can't confirm that. :hmm:

There was a thread a while ago on how we all assumed posters were all male. Well I just assumed the opposite and not because of anything that has been said...If he/she had an avatar it might be easier. (hope I'm right or else someone will be pissed off!)

I guess we'll know soon enough ...

Haha NORMALLY I'd clarify this given I know the answer. However, Polka seems to have an extreme aversion to disclosing personal information. We are, after all, talking about someone who would start a profile thread and not post their own!

*cowers* I love you polka, please don't hurt me.

08Applicant
02-19-2008, 11:27 PM
Haha NORMALLY I'd clarify this given I know the answer. However, Polka seems to have an extreme aversion to disclosing personal information. We are, after all, talking about someone who would start a profile thread and not post their own!

*cowers* I love you polka, please don't hurt me.

Hmm, am I just bored or did this get more interesting? I will go with Polka = woman because of the sentence in bold. That's the sort of playful banter only reserved for a friendship with a D1 football player or a girl. And I wouldn't say "I love you" to most D1 football players.

I am very very bored.

Chicunomics
02-19-2008, 11:34 PM
Hmm, am I just bored or did this get more interesting? I will go with Polka = woman because of the sentence in bold. That's the sort of playful banter only reserved for a friendship with a D1 football player or a girl. And I wouldn't say "I love you" to most D1 football players.

I am very very bored.

Haha, are you suggesting some kind of TM romance here? Not even I am so nerdy ;) (though I wouldn't be surprised if it's happened before!)

08Applicant
02-19-2008, 11:42 PM
Haha, are you suggesting some kind of TM romance here? Not even I am so nerdy ;) (though I wouldn't be surprised if it's happened before!)

Oh no, not quite. I'm just saying most girls I know are prone to hitting their male friends. Most guys would only say "I love you, please don't hurt me" when half-expecting the girl to punch them. Only in the seventh grade does that imply a budding romance.

econphilomath
02-20-2008, 03:16 AM
This is hilarious, plus polka seems to have disappeared today...

Ecorleone
02-20-2008, 03:31 AM
See Econdreamer post!! (In at NYU, Duke, Columbia Finance and Kellogg MEDS (all come this morning!!) (http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/85294-nyu-duke-columbia-finance-kellogg-meds-all-come-morning.html) Thread)

NYU is still sending offers.. he received his today.

polkaparty
02-20-2008, 03:32 AM
This is hilarious, plus polka seems to have disappeared today...

Haha! How this discussion entertains me so! Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, I will remain silent on this matter. I do wish to remain a mystery, until the day that I quietly fade away, never to be heard from again.

I apologize for my absence, I just got home about 15 minutes ago. Furthermore, I didn't apply to Minnesota or NYU so I haven't been keeping up with the latest hubbub so much....

Congratulations to everyone who heard acceptances today, and to those who didn't--I feel for you! We'll find out soon enough.

Olm
02-20-2008, 06:15 AM
So long as you let us know where you got accepted and rejected, I won't hate you, Polka ;)

Polka writes like a chick so that's my guess as to his or her sex.

econphilomath
02-20-2008, 12:16 PM
So long as you let us know where you got accepted and rejected, I won't hate you, Polka ;)

Polka writes like a chick so that's my guess as to his or her sex.

Maybe thats why I always thought she was a she.:hmm: Also, now that this all came up, I can confidently say I was not wrong because no self respecting male would stay silent while his masculinity is being called into question...:whistle:

Plus 08Applicant's observation regarding the playful banter between polka and Chicunomics adds more credibility...

Anyway, polka rocks, as others have said before so who cares anyway...just watch out what you say because from what I gather from Chicunomics comments, polka can get a little peevish...

asianecon
02-20-2008, 01:16 PM
Haha! How this discussion entertains me so! Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, I will remain silent on this matter. I do wish to remain a mystery, until the day that I quietly fade away, never to be heard from again.

I apologize for my absence, I just got home about 15 minutes ago. Furthermore, I didn't apply to Minnesota or NYU so I haven't been keeping up with the latest hubbub so much....

Congratulations to everyone who heard acceptances today, and to those who didn't--I feel for you! We'll find out soon enough.

Hey polka, are we the only one without anything yet?? I feel like a small kid who didn't get the last candy..:)

AstralTraveller
02-20-2008, 01:30 PM
Hey polka, are we the only one without anything yet?? I feel like a small kid who didn't get the last candy..:)

Well, at least there are three more of us who haven't received a response...Ecorleone, AncalagonTheBlack, Olm......and me! (if you think, I have been only interviewed and shortlisted for a program that accepts 1-2 students a year, so chances are still very slim). I'm sure there are a plentiful....

Olm
02-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I am still screwing the pooch so to speak. I just hope I don't screw it so hard that it has to hide in the bathroom for an hour with a tube of soothing cream.

Rochester decisions should be here this week, UCSD next week...:luck2:

econphilomath
03-18-2008, 03:56 PM
I was reminiscing the stressful good ol days in February when the first news started trickling out. Specifically I remembered NYU which was my big first. Looking at the old posts I found a couple that I am quoting which I found interesting given what ended up happening is something to learn from for next generations of TMers.

The setting:
Some TMers were happy while other were stressing because of not having received an email form NYU and extrapolating this to all their future results.

Question of the OP was, no email your out of NYU? Here is my depressed/hopeful/Obama response:

Then the pessimist...

I copy Sammy6's profile and results post from this year as proof. Note she did not get in at NYU back then.

RESULTS:
Acceptances: Harvard($$), MIT(waiting on NSF), Stanford($$), Yale($$), UPenn($$, declined), Northwestern($$), Chicago($$)
Waitlists: NYU, Berkeley (declined)
Rejections: Princeton

Valhalla
03-18-2008, 03:59 PM
So it's already time to recapitulate? :)