PDA

View Full Version : A question about the number of applicants

phdphd
02-18-2008, 01:00 AM
I just saw in the FAQ's at Pittsburgh PhD that they admit a number between 10 and 12 each year. So good so far. Now, they claim having received more than 600 hundred applications last year. UAU!!! I wouldn't expect this number to be so for schools outside the top 20 range, and it's not that difficult to find departments in the same standing as Pitt to claim such a number. I hardly believe on this, so I'm just wondering if they do so only to boast somehow their reputation...

fp3690
02-18-2008, 01:18 AM
They probably admit 10-12, but accept a hell of a lot more. It's kind of unreasonable for a school outside top-25 to have an acceptance rate below, say, 30%

bertthepuppy
02-18-2008, 01:21 AM
Pitt is an interesting program. I've taken some grad classes and math courses at Pitt after my undergrad degree and talked with the admissions director for a while. It seems like they are more selective based on interests, particularly they're really only good at experimental econ and econometrics. He said if your interests aren't there, then don't bother applying basically. He also said to apply somewhere better than Pitt, so they may receive a different caliber of students than higher ranked schools. Just my thoughts.