PDA

View Full Version : Losing that working incentive

Canuckonomist
02-19-2008, 12:51 PM
This is more a poll than a question for my benefit, but if you got in to your dream school (or somewhere close to, that'd you'd be overjoyed with) tomorrow for your Ph.D, with funding, and you essentially only needed to pass your current classes to match their conditional offer, would the drive to work hard in those classes diminish for you? (Or, perhaps, would you be able to learn for the sake of learning, and not worry so much about marks?)

I ask because most of us are fairly tightly-wound right now, and the opportunity of sweet release may be that incentive to slow the working drive.

This question only really works for those going into Ph.D programs, and not those leapfrogging into a ph.d from B.A via a master's, as applying to Ph.Ds next year will necessitate good final semester grades. But I'm sure most of you gather that.

Thoughts?

AstralTraveller
02-19-2008, 12:55 PM
I am used to work my *ss off studying. So, if the dream school accepts me conditional to performance, I am sure I'd work 24/7 to outperform myself.
Of course, if the condition was only to pass the class, I'd still would try to get the most of it...I feel classes are more than requisites. Classes are the tools for the future.

israelecon
02-19-2008, 12:59 PM
once you get accepted there is definitely less pressure to study, but still i wouldn't want to see low grades in my transcript so i would continue to work hard, but i won't be as disappointed if my grades slip.

Canuckonomist
02-19-2008, 01:03 PM
There is a thought, though. Classes ARE tools for the future, but sometimes people study to ace the class, which is not always isomorphic to learning the material well. Would you possibly change your study habits to get more out of the material by worrying less about marks?

AstralTraveller
02-19-2008, 01:11 PM
There is a thought, though. Classes ARE tools for the future, but sometimes people study to ace the class, which is not always isomorphic to learning the material well. Would you possibly change your study habits to get more out of the material by worrying less about marks?

I know what you mean. The answer would be yes. Less about marks, more about the learning. Funny considering that the grading system tries to work as incentive to maximize learning :rolleyes: :doh:

reactor
02-19-2008, 01:17 PM
Think what you will do if something goes wrong either by i. not achieving the requirements for example by getting a hard exam or just unlucky the day of exam or some other unfortunate event or ii. for some reason not going to that school or going and then deciding to leave etc and then you have to use you grades.
The grades are there forever so I suggest that if you do not have something that adds more to your longterm life-overall utility, you try to get as high grades as possible. :)

econphilomath
02-19-2008, 01:19 PM
It funny you mention that, because in position, usually people work their *** off as RAs to earn good LORs. The thing is, after the LORs go out, theres not much motivation to keep away from TM!!

Thesus
02-19-2008, 01:20 PM
I expect to work much harder after being admitted, because anything's better than spending your entire day checking email/post/TM/gradcafe. :whistle:

AstralTraveller
02-19-2008, 01:26 PM
It funny you mention that, because in position, usually people work their *** off as RAs to earn good LORs. The thing is, after the LORs go out, theres not much motivation to keep away from TM!!

And yet, I find very little incentive to let down the prof. for whom you RA, even after the LORs have been sent. If your job is valued, you might be invited to co-author a paper with the academic in question. I have just been invited to write an article for a top-impact journal by the prof. who "consumed" over half of my summer holidays (remember it's summer over here) hiring me as RA. He was happy with my performance, so he wants me to write alongside him before I leave for my PhD. Sure, I only have 4 days of summer holidays left, but the paper we will write will be a super asset for the future. Remember, we all want to get tenure!!

econphilomath
02-19-2008, 01:39 PM
Your, right, why am I here, I should get back to writing that next issue of AER! Silly me, just posting and trying to relax...

bertthepuppy
02-19-2008, 02:10 PM
I do less and less R.A. work (because of TM, etc.) this semester for the prof I work for. I finished all the analysis for his most recent paper last week, but it took longer than any other analysis I've ever done. I also held the results hostage until he submitted one of my recommendations he forgot to do originally. Luckily, we get along really well, and he is mildly senile, so he never remembers what he asked me to do the week before.

Ecorleone
02-19-2008, 02:43 PM
Can I work for him??
Because my boss will fire me soon for holding all his papers hostage for 1 month. I have never in my life worked so little, slept so little, party so little and refresh this website so much!!!
I want my life back!!

Luckykid
02-19-2008, 03:24 PM
I am really hoping to hear back from UK to see if my acceptance and funding is conditional on spring grades(I don't even think they saw my fall ones). If not I just want to get "B's" and pick up some overtime at work. Seriously is there any reason I need to learn how to peramatize vectors? Id rather just learn what I will need and make some money to be more finanacially stable in Grad school.

Roy

Ancalagon The Black
02-19-2008, 03:27 PM
If i get such an offer, I will come first in class.

buckykatt
02-19-2008, 04:38 PM
I'm already working harder than I need to, because I'm sitting in (not for credit) on an other student's independent study in topology this semester.

I think the main difference for me would be wanting to spend more time on independent research than classwork. But since I'll be back applying (to Ph.D. instead of master's programs) next year, I suppose I shouldn't slack off anyway.

bertthepuppy
02-19-2008, 05:09 PM
I am really hoping to hear back from UK to see if my acceptance and funding is conditional on spring grades(I don't even think they saw my fall ones). If not I just want to get "B's" and pick up some overtime at work. Seriously is there any reason I need to learn how to peramatize vectors? Id rather just learn what I will need and make some money to be more finanacially stable in Grad school.

Roy

Have you heard anything from them yet? The Director told me he would e-mail me one day last week...still nothing. It would be good to know when the fly out dates are?

Luckykid
02-19-2008, 05:12 PM
Have you heard anything from them yet? The Director told me he would e-mail me one day last week...still nothing. It would be good to know when the fly out dates are?

Nothing yet...He told me fly outs sometime in march and that he would put a few dates together and see which ones fit everyone who is flying out...

bertthepuppy
02-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Nothing yet...He told me fly outs sometime in march and that he would put a few dates together and see which ones fit everyone who is flying out...
Me too. How fare are you coming from? I was looking at flights to Lexington/Cincinnati/Louisville and all are ridiculously expensive. I would probably have to drive...

Chicunomics
02-19-2008, 09:51 PM

THIS! I bent over backwards last year to do anything I could for my recommenders, you should have seen how stressed out one of them in particular made me. Now, with one particularly acceptable admit, my care factor at some of the things that stress me out in the nature of the work I'm dealing with (sorry, don't want to be specific here...) I have already stopped caring about. Sure I don't want to let these academics down, but I'm a pragmatist, and without the additional motivation of getting good LORs, the desire to soak up the stress on these academics' behalf to make sure whatever they have to do is done on time is much lower.

Luckykid
02-19-2008, 10:38 PM
Me too. How fare are you coming from? I was looking at flights to Lexington/Cincinnati/Louisville and all are ridiculously expensive. I would probably have to drive...
Milwaukee, Chicago to Lex is about $184...not bad...Its about $300 from Milwaukee.

bertthepuppy
02-20-2008, 02:47 PM
Pittsburgh-> Chicago -> Lexington I can't find for under $400! Crazy...