PDA

View Full Version : In at Pittsburgh?

needeconhelp
02-19-2008, 04:40 PM
:tup:I just got an e-mail from University of Pittsburgh. 'Financial Decisions are still being made.'

needeconhelp
02-19-2008, 04:44 PM
I don't know why I added a ? to the thread. Maybe because I am excited!!!:)

bertthepuppy
02-19-2008, 05:00 PM
Congratulations!

econphilomath
02-19-2008, 05:12 PM
Congrats! Nice to have another admit under your belt....! Is that 2-0?

needeconhelp
02-19-2008, 05:19 PM
3-0! I was trying to get a signature with Ins and Outs. Hopefully, I will figure it out by the end of the day. Nope, by the end of the week unless someone helps me.

econphilomath
02-19-2008, 05:22 PM
Now that you have 100+ posts you should be able to get a sig going...with 3-0 your on a roll!

natvanhat
02-19-2008, 05:23 PM
Congrats!

Anyone know of a place online to check your status at Pitt? General perusing of the site didn't turn anything up - of course, when I log into the application they tell me it's completed.

needeconhelp
02-19-2008, 05:30 PM
Congrats!

Anyone know of a place online to check your status at Pitt? General perusing of the site didn't turn anything up - of course, when I log into the application they tell me it's completed.

Gradcafe results show that they are all e-mails. Perhaps you can call them at the end of the week if you don't receive any e-mail.

okcash
02-19-2008, 05:54 PM
Congrats!

seems like they only inform admitted ones? or not?

anyway, do one of you luckies see any change on your application site?

viveco
02-19-2008, 06:14 PM
I also got my admit news via email. Needeconhelp is probably saying right. But about dollars, when wud they give that decision??

Nalfien
02-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Mabrook! :tup:

bscout
02-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Congratulations guys! :)

needeconhelp
02-19-2008, 07:23 PM
Mabrook! :tup:
Jazakallah.:). I am very excited now.

needeconhelp
02-19-2008, 07:24 PM
I also got my admit news via email. Needeconhelp is probably saying right. But about dollars, when wud they give that decision??

They said ASAP.

needeconhelp
02-19-2008, 07:25 PM
Congrats!

I could not find anything in regards to application status beside that my application is complete.

bertthepuppy
02-19-2008, 07:26 PM
Just out of curiosity, if you were accepted at Pitt, what were your specified fields?

needeconhelp
02-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Just out of curiosity, if you were accepted at Pitt, what were your specified fields?

Labor and Applied Microeconomics.

Andronicus
02-19-2008, 08:34 PM

Urban & Regional Economics

adnormous
02-20-2008, 01:10 PM
I received an email from the department today about my nomination with the Arts & Sciences Graduate Fellowship, but they ask me to make my decision within two weeks.I understand their purposes, but I definitely need to wait for more admission results before making the decision(definitely longer than two weeks). What should I do?

bertthepuppy
02-20-2008, 02:07 PM
I received an email from the department today about my nomination with the Arts & Sciences Graduate Fellowship, but they ask me to make my decision within two weeks.I understand their purposes, but I definitely need to wait for more admission results before making the decision(definitely longer than two weeks). What should I do?

Which offers are you still waiting on? I would see where Pitt lies among them and then be frank with the department. I don't think anyone would want to be forced into a decision too early. Also, see if you can visit before then so you can get a better feel for the program.

bertthepuppy
02-20-2008, 02:08 PM
double post

Andronicus
02-20-2008, 02:10 PM

Mine said the same thing, but it says notification within two weeks is "ideal" rather than required. I don't think you have to make a decision before you are ready, but once you know its probably best to go ahead and notify them.

adnormous
02-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Which offers are you still waiting on? I would see where Pitt lies among them and then be frank with the department. I don't think anyone would want to be forced into a decision too early. Also, see if you can visit before then so you can get a better feel for the program.

Thank you very much for your reply, bertthepuppy! I am still waiting for schools such as Brown, TU Austin, etc, which have better overall ranking than U Pittsburgh. Also, I am on the waiting list of Minnesota. It would be difficult for me to go campus visit since I am now in Europe, not in the States.

adnormous
02-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Mine said the same thing, but it says notification within two weeks is "ideal" rather than required. I don't think you have to make a decision before you are ready, but once you know its probably best to go ahead and notify them.

Let us hope the department would not be too pushy on that!!:(

needeconhelp
02-23-2008, 10:12 PM
I just received a letter by mail. It is a generic graduate school e-mail; however, there was a sloppy hand-written script at the bottom which I had to decode: ' P.S.- Please keep us posted if you do not get an offer from top 5 program. We much to offer' followed by a unreadable signature. It made me feel :tup:. Maybe I do have a chance at top-5.

Did anyone get a similar letter?

Speed_king
02-24-2008, 09:35 AM
I also got an admission e-mail from Upitt. Still waiting for financial details. I specified monetary policy and econometrics. However, I also have an offer from UNC-Chapel Hill. It seems a little bit better on the few rankings I looked. Any opinions on that?

mantl
02-24-2008, 10:38 AM
I also got an admission e-mail from Upitt. Still waiting for financial details. I specified monetary policy and econometrics. However, I also have an offer from UNC-Chapel Hill. It seems a little bit better on the few rankings I looked. Any opinions on that?

Congradulations! When did you hear from UNC-Chapel Hill? I am wondering as I've not heard anything from them yet.

macroeconomicus
02-24-2008, 10:43 AM
Don't read into rankings too much. First, Pitt is a very small department and most rankings tend to accept very badly for "average or overall" quality of the PhD programs in small departments. The average quality of Pitt's placement had been stronger than UNC. Next, there was a persistent rumor recently that UNC was losing some key faculty. In fact, this is something that someone from last years' pull said about UNC after visiting. See posts by IHateGRE below.

http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/66261-virginia-vs-illinois-vs-ohio-state-vs-penn-state.html
http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/66462-help-has-unc-ch-sent-out-all-its-acceptances-4.html

I am not saying UNC is bad program, but you should take all rankings with a grain of salt. Certainly do visit both places, and make your choice based on how strong each school is in your field as well on based on your own criteria.