02-19-2008, 07:33 PM
Congrats! =)

Fermat
02-19-2008, 07:34 PM
They say you always remember your first [clap]

econ08
02-19-2008, 07:37 PM
Congrats, econphilomath!

I also got an email from Kara Kersteter!

Thesus
02-19-2008, 07:38 PM
Looks like this is going down similarly to NYU, except at a reasonable hour.

econphilomath
02-19-2008, 07:38 PM

Your damn right!

Right now Kara sounds like a "very amicable" person since she is giving me good news to hear by my ears.

Ecorleone
02-19-2008, 07:40 PM
Congrats, econphilomath!

I also got an email from Kara Kersteter!

Was it a personalized email or a mass email (BCC)?

econphilomath
02-19-2008, 07:41 PM
It is not a blind copy email because it has my address and name written on it at the top.

The rest is a really long text describing the details of the freaking full funding!

AstralTraveller
02-19-2008, 07:43 PM
Mass email I think....

Darn....it means I'm out!!! :smack:

(why did I trust this application to Fulbright?:wallbash:)

08Applicant
02-19-2008, 07:46 PM

We were both drunk and I'd like to forget most of it. But I see what you're trying to say.

Congratulations. I didn't apply there so I'm not seething with jealousy.

Thesus
02-19-2008, 07:48 PM
We were both drunk and I'd like to forget most of it. But I see what you're trying to say.

Congratulations. I didn't apply there so I'm not seething with jealousy.

I'll seethe for you, don't worry!

Ecorleone
02-19-2008, 07:49 PM
Why do I have such a bad UGPA!

Did not received the mass email

_ _ _ _ SIG _ _ _ _
Jackpot...: None so far
Sleeping with the fishes...: Cornell
Interviewed: None so far
Waiting: Many....

iugi85
02-19-2008, 07:51 PM
the letter I received was not a mass email! it was an email with my name address etc. written at the beginning. hope this helps!

econphilomath
02-19-2008, 07:52 PM
the letter I received was not a mass email! it was an email with my name address etc. written at the beginning. hope this helps!

Yes, your right... It is not a BCC email.

econ08
02-19-2008, 07:52 PM

same here!

kuejai
02-19-2008, 07:54 PM
I didn't get anything yet. Do they send out rejection also?

AstralTraveller
02-19-2008, 07:55 PM

Aaaaah, come on! Please stop this suffering! Let me know I'm IN.....no one has said to me "we welcome you to our PhD program...".

:wacko: :crazy: :mad: :grumpy: :wallbash:

econphilomath
02-19-2008, 07:56 PM
Congrats to econ08 and iugi85! Hopefully we can get some more TM admits!

I'm sorry for the earlier confusion, I was too busy pissing my pants. It is not a mas email, the text is probably copy paste but somebody has to type out your name and address and stuff before the rest of the text. So more might be on the way...

arieshion
02-19-2008, 07:57 PM
me either...
do I still have a little bit of hope getting in?

Mr.Keen
02-19-2008, 07:58 PM
I think our chances of getting in are very slim, almost as thin as for those who did not get an email from NYU.

AstralTraveller
02-19-2008, 07:59 PM
Congrats to econ08 and iugi85! Hopefully we can get some more TM admits!

Besides econphilomath, econ08 and iugi85, did we get any admits on the first round (of 12 UMN fellowship nominees)? I seem to remember we had some already.

Congrats to all of you, people!!! [goodjob]

Mr.Keen
02-19-2008, 08:00 PM
We got 2 or 3 early admits

asquare
02-19-2008, 08:07 PM
Your damn right!

Right now Kara sounds hot!

Congrats on a very good admit.

I know you're excited, and I hate to be the PC police around here. However, I really don't think your comment about Kara is appropriate. Remember the thread about gender ratios and harassment recently? IMO, this is the kind of behavior that people have in mind when they say that economics is not friendly to women. I don't think we should make unprompted or unwanted remarks about anyone's appearance or sexuality, and say whatever you want, that's what your comment is. I'm no lawyer (thank goodness) but IMO, that remark would certainly fall under the category of sexual harassment at U-Mich (trust me, they make us sit through a very boring training session as part of TA training), and I'm sure many other places as well. And based on what they told us, it wouldn't matter whether 1) Kara is objectively hot, or 2) she wasn't offended by the comment -- harassment includes creating an unfriendly environment, so if ANYONE, male or female, who hears or reads the comment is offended, then it can be considered harassment. And technicalities aside, I don't think that sort of locker-room humor has a place here.

(I've chosen to post this rather than use my "moderator powers" to delete econphilomath's comment, because I don't want to just change around the forum to make myself happy. I'm just expressing my opinion as "me," a regular TM poster, rather than as a moderator enforcing the rules.)

Thesus
02-19-2008, 08:10 PM
I just got an email saying I'm on the waiting list "as one of the top students".

wcd123
02-19-2008, 08:10 PM
Congrats!

AstralTraveller
02-19-2008, 08:11 PM
I just got an email saying I'm on the waiting list "as one of the top students".

OK. This seems to confirm I'm out ...... :(

bertthepuppy
It's crazy that they're doing it all in one day basically. Admits and Waiting List. Did everyone receive full funding?

jbs02002
Man, that departmental funding is really good. It's just $2K lower than the grad school fellowships. Congrats.

Mr.Keen
02-19-2008, 08:13 PM

Congrats, hope you get in. I think this pretty much settles the question about any remaining hope: according to Minnesota's webpage all admitted and waitlisted students are notified of their status at the same time. Rejections come later in March. Oh well... :(

Ecorleone
02-19-2008, 08:14 PM
OK. This seems to confirm I'm out ...... :(

Suffering along your side...

econphilomath
02-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Madam Kara is typing away, so just sit tight....

bertthepuppy
02-19-2008, 08:18 PM
Madam Kara is typing away, so just sit tight....
You're right. That has to be a lot of typing/demanding job. I wonder if she realizes how much people are holding on to all hope and constantly refreshing e-mail. i.e. if she gets up for a drink of water or a bathroom break, someone could be losing it on the other end!

asquare
02-19-2008, 08:20 PM
They may just use a mail merge to create the e-mails, rather than doing them by hand.

Ancalagon The Black
02-19-2008, 08:21 PM
My friend also got waitlisted at Minn and also received the "one of the top in the waitlist"

Andronicus
02-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Congrats!

Mr.Keen
02-19-2008, 08:51 PM
I've just been waitlisted... all you NYUians decline Minnesota! (just kidding... seriously)

bertthepuppy
02-19-2008, 08:54 PM
Clearly there is a time delay on the e-mails! Congrats Mr. Keen that's better than the alternative...

Ecorleone
02-19-2008, 08:54 PM
I've just been waitlisted... all you NYUians decline Minnesota! (just kidding... seriously)

Congrats!!!!

Thesus
02-19-2008, 09:01 PM
Was all the funding handed out this time around TA-based?

Olm
02-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Was I right, econphilomath? LOL, I told you that you would get in.

ALam
02-19-2008, 09:15 PM

same here.. waitlisted

econphilomath
02-19-2008, 09:17 PM
Was I right, econphilomath? LOL, I told you that you would get in.

Olm, you are a freaking Prophet!

Thank You !

econphilomath
02-19-2008, 09:18 PM
Congrats Mr.Keen!! I still remember your posts arguing on how much better Minnesota is than Harvard! You will get in, I'm sure!

Ecorleone
02-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Olm, you are a freaking Prophet!

Thank You !

OLM, how does my future look like?

No minnesota mail, same for NYU and Davis. Rejected from Cornell and no news from Duke. COL

econphilomath
02-19-2008, 09:25 PM
To all you people waiting.... Madam Kara is still typing!

AstralTraveller
02-19-2008, 09:46 PM
To all you people waiting.... Madam Kara is still typing!

:confused: Econphilomath. In which you base your statement? Wishful solidary thinking? ;)

pevdoki1
02-19-2008, 09:48 PM
Just got an e-mail, and I'm on a "short" waiting list

I didn't even expect to get that!!!! So, ummm, somewhat excited, I guess.

CONGRATS TO THOSE WHO GOT IN!!!!!!

econphilomath
02-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Good one!

Ecorleone
02-19-2008, 09:52 PM
so... there is still hope!

econphilomath
02-19-2008, 09:52 PM
:confused: Econphilomath. In which you base your statement? Wishful solidary thinking? ;)

People are still getting emails, that all.

Anyway, just so everyone knows, fly-outs are on March 14-15 so the list should move before and after that date.

Olm
02-19-2008, 10:02 PM
Wow Pevdoki, I sure hope you get in there - that's the highest-ranked school on your list!

pevdoki1
02-19-2008, 10:04 PM
It must be a good sign for the other places (waiting list is sure better than a rejection, and of course I REALLY hope I get in)... I now regret applying to UBC MA, Indiana, Purdue etc instead of some higher ranked programs :(

I don't want to move to Indiana... hehe.

Mr.Keen
02-19-2008, 10:04 PM
Wow Pevdoki, I sure hope you get in there - that's the highest-ranked school on your list!

Me too. You deserve it not only because you have a great profile but also because you are quite modest about it. I would've shot for the stars with your profile (maybe that's why I am hitting my head against the wall, hehe).

Olm
02-19-2008, 10:08 PM
It must be a good sign for the other places (waiting list is sure better than a rejection, and of course I REALLY hope I get in)... I now regret applying to UBC MA, Indiana, Purdue etc instead of some higher ranked programs :(

I don't want to move to Indiana... hehe.

If you get into a Canadian MA program, you could always kick *** there and give the top programs a second try (assuming you don't get in somehwere that you would be happy to get a PhD from).

If you f things up, worst case scenario you could always continue on in the PhD program at the school. I would take any of the Canadian schools over all the other schools on your list (minus Cornell and Minnesota), but that's just me.

Smileysquared
02-19-2008, 10:09 PM
See you were worried for absolutely no reason econphilomath...congrats!

Olm
02-19-2008, 10:09 PM
One more thing: if Minnesota is indeed your top choice and you've been waitlisted there, go ahead and call the graduate secretary and tell them that it's your top choice and you would immediately accept an offer there. That might be enough to move to the top of the waitlist.

pevdoki1
02-19-2008, 10:20 PM
I said it's my top choice in the SOP :p

I still might consider the Canadian thing, but not at UBC (their MA does not seem rigorous enough at all). U Toronto and UWO are doctoral stream, so I think treat those as getting into a PhD program...

Olm
02-19-2008, 10:23 PM
I said it's my top choice in the SOP :p

And as far as they know, you said that to every school you applied to. I would call them and tell them over the phone. Too late to do it today, though. Do it tomorrow first thing so they can talk about your app over the water cooler :grad:

ccgoal
02-20-2008, 12:35 AM
Congrats, econphillomath:tup:, pray for us then...

Mr.Keen
02-20-2008, 12:53 AM

Thesus, did they actually made any reference to your place on the list? Mine did not say anything like that.

Thesus
02-20-2008, 01:01 AM
Thesus, did they actually made any reference to your place on the list? Mine did not say anything like that.

Yes, specific reference to that. I'll quote the email:

"You were among many outstanding applicants to the University of Minnesota’s PhD program in Economics for Fall 2008. Unfortunately we have a limited number of spaces in our entering class as well as a limited amount of financial aid for new students

In response to this problem we have created a short waiting list for admission and financial aid, in case additional resources become available, and we have placed your application on the waiting list. You are currently one of the top students on the list and we anticipate, based on past experience, that we will be able to make you an offer at some point. If we are eventually able to make you an offer, we will let you know as soon as we can. We hope to be able to come to this decision by April 15, but some may be delayed beyond that date. "

zsla
02-20-2008, 01:27 AM
Right now Kara sounds like a "very amicable" person since she is giving me good news to hear by my ears.

She is indeed a very nice person. If there were a "best graduate secretary" award, I would definitely vote for her.

andyecon
02-20-2008, 01:51 AM
Congrats to everyone! I can attest that Minnesota is (on net) a really great place for grad school (and such nice weather!) If anybody has any questions about the program, I'm almost through field courses so I can give some insight on the first two years.

Hope to see you all at the recruitment weekend (I'll be driving people around the Cities).

kuejai
02-20-2008, 02:20 AM
I didn't get any email yet. Does that mean reject?

econyun
02-20-2008, 02:34 AM
Minnesota U is also my top choice.

Poor me...I did not get any email from them.

Olm
02-20-2008, 06:13 AM

Almost definitely, but you never know.

Mr.Keen
02-20-2008, 07:30 AM
my email was exactly like thesus's, except for the line about being at the top of the list. Little hope, I guess :(

samdrew
02-21-2008, 03:35 AM
Has anyone not heard from UMN yet?

AstralTraveller
02-21-2008, 03:38 AM
Has anyone not heard from UMN yet?

Me....sounds like a no-no after all these days :(

samdrew
02-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Not necessarily. There are a couple of rejects in the decision thread. Perhaps, though, we were not even worth the effort to email.

doubtful
02-21-2008, 08:51 PM
I just got rejected. My top school in economics :(

Valhalla
02-21-2008, 09:02 PM

It's over when it's over Kuejai! If you haven't received any mail yet they haven't made a decision yet.. as you can see they've already sent some rejections so think rationally... Why should they torture you specifically and keep you in this vacuum? i think there is still a reason to hope for a positive reply in your case! Good luck

doubtful
02-21-2008, 09:20 PM
the fact is that it seems there are many people in the waiting list, so.. is it rational to think about full funding offers at this stage?

In my case, I sincerely thought to have a shot in minnesota and at the same time, I thought it was unlikely to get the interview from Boston College... this is the matter of evidence about how erratic these admission processes are.

Valhalla
02-21-2008, 10:27 PM
the fact is that it seems there are many people in the waiting list, so.. is it rational to think about full funding offers at this stage?

In my case, I sincerely thought to have a shot in minnesota and at the same time, I thought it was unlikely to get the interview from Boston College... this is the matter of evidence about how erratic these admission processes are.

well funding is a different thing right? I just meant that "no decision received" means "no ultimate decision made" for most places, which sent already some rejections.

I am sorry doubtful but I do not understand the second part of your statement I guess. You'll have a phone interview with someone from BC? When did you receive notification if I may ask?

doubtful
02-21-2008, 10:48 PM
I applied to the Program in Finance at BC, and I receive a notice yesterday that I am in the panel of the finalists and will have a interview in March there. I just wanted to say that I considered more likely to receive a positive feedback from UMN-Econ rather than BC-Finance...

I applied to finance as I know that the program is strong in Asset Pricing which is my main interest.

kuejai
02-22-2008, 06:01 AM
As of Friday 12am(CST), still no news from UMN. Does anyone still in the same boat as me? Should I call the secretary? Anyone has her number?

arieshion
02-22-2008, 06:56 AM
As of Friday 12am(CST), still no news from UMN. Does anyone still in the same boat as me? Should I call the secretary? Anyone has her number?

me too. But i think i'm in the bottom of the rejection pile, so they haven't got to me yet.

doubtful
02-22-2008, 07:18 AM
I sent my application at the very last minute and got rejected today.. so ... It could be a good sign, you haven't heard anything yet.

Harb
02-22-2008, 07:24 AM
very nice

Olm
02-22-2008, 08:07 AM
You should call, because it seems the vast majority of the admits and waitlists have been sent out.

kuejai
02-22-2008, 02:45 PM
me too. But i think i'm in the bottom of the rejection pile, so they haven't got to me yet.
Arieshion, I see one interesting thing. Your profile is very similar to mind. I'm 3.98 GPA Econ/Finance/Math minor GRE: Math 800, Verbal 370, Writing 4. I'm also attend undergrad class in the US. May be that's something?!?!
I'm attempting to call. Does anyone can give me their phone number and who I should talk to?

jahizbarlas
03-03-2008, 08:47 AM
She is indeed a very nice person. If there were a "best graduate secretary" award, I would definitely vote for her.

AGREED!!!
A grad secretary's job is not easy but she is so helpful, not just with academic issues but also helped a lot in moving, finding apartments and all that stuff

econphilomath
03-06-2008, 07:10 PM
I declined at Minnesota. I hope others will follow and help out those on the waitlist.

This one was tough, I always had a thing for the mistique of Minnesota, hard ball economics. I won't be going to fly-outs there because its two weeks before anyone else and I have to take 16 hr flights!

I'll say it again in case of doubts or confusion, if you are still debating where to go and are going to decide at fly-outs or after, hold on and take your time....

Good luck pevdoki1, Thesus!

jbs02002
03-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Is anyone planning on going to the flyout or am I the only TMer who will be attending?

Mr.Keen
03-12-2008, 09:36 PM
For anyone who is interested, I have removed myself from the waiting list.

pevdoki1
03-12-2008, 09:43 PM
<--prays to God (ed prescott)

:D

Mr.Keen
03-12-2008, 10:41 PM
<--prays to God (ed prescott)

:D

Candles lit up and everything, :)

ALam
03-13-2008, 10:17 PM
do u guys think it'll enhance your chance of getting admitted ( from the waiting list) if you are a girl?

Mr.Keen
03-13-2008, 10:19 PM
do u guys think it'll enhance your chance of getting admitted ( from the waiting list) if you are a girl?

I doubt it has a significant effect. I think the people on the waiting list are ranked based mainly on qualifications.

Valfierno
03-14-2008, 02:31 AM

I don't know for the specific case of Minnesota, but according to a professor at BC they do take into consideration things like gender, nationality, and field of interest in deciding who they let in from the waiting list, trying to keep a certain balance overall

jahizbarlas
03-14-2008, 07:20 AM

if you have an idea of how minnesota is like with its economics, i think the guess would be probably not...
but then, who knows! files go to individual professors who recommend students based on their own individual basis of admission.

Valhalla
03-14-2008, 07:45 AM
I think that universities (and hence specific departments) have to fulfill certain quota-requirements concerning the proportion of men and women in their programs. But I don't know how they exactly look like and how this affects anything in terms of admissions

stupidolive
03-14-2008, 12:14 PM
I think that universities (and hence specific departments) have to fulfill certain quota-requirements concerning the proportion of men and women in their programs. But I don't know how they exactly look like and how this affects anything in terms of admissions
I'm not sure about that because in Columbia case, they admitted 75 people (i think) and less than 20 are females

Valhalla
03-14-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm not sure about that because in Columbia case, they admitted 75 people (i think) and less than 20 are females

well I didn't say that I think the quota is 50% right? could be like a min of 25% or so...

stupidolive
03-14-2008, 01:14 PM
oh ok, never mind then :-P

asquare
03-17-2008, 03:12 AM
I don't believe that any graduate schools have quotas. Further, many are legally barred from using affirmative action at all (Michigan and all of the UC schools fall into this category), so cannot explicitly consider gender!

italos
03-17-2008, 03:27 AM
I don't know for the specific case of Minnesota, but according to a professor at BC they do take into consideration things like gender, nationality, and field of interest in deciding who they let in from the waiting list, trying to keep a certain balance overall

I do also know that at U Chicago 7-8 places are reserved to people coming from Latin America.This comes directly from an old agreement back in the 1950's with some Latin American Countries.That is the reason that the old school in those countries(e.g in Chile) are of the monetarist school. But these are general phenomena.It happens everywhere.
For the rest, I totally agree!:tup:

econphilomath
03-17-2008, 12:23 PM
I do also know that at U Chicago 7-8 places are reserved to people coming from Latin America.This comes directly from an old agreement back in the 1950's with some Latin American Countries.That is the reason that the old school in those countries(e.g in Chile) are of the monetarist school. But these are general phenomena.It happens everywhere.
For the rest, I totally agree!:tup:

I believe there are no chileans who got into Chicago last year. So I would take that statement (arbitary) with a grain of salt.

If anything, history helps because of credible LORs. There is strong path dependency in admits from developing countries. If one guys from country X is good, then his LORs gain credibility and the next guy has it easier. But then again it also goes the other way around. A couple of bad apples ruins the LORs credibility and thus makes it harder for next generations. This happens everywhere and is caused by the lack of information. We have talked about this before...sigh

italos
03-18-2008, 01:09 AM
I believe there are no chileans who got into Chicago last year. So I would take that statement (arbitary) with a grain of salt.

If anything, history helps because of credible LORs. There is strong path dependency in admits from developing countries. If one guys from country X is good, then his LORs gain credibility and the next guy has it easier. But then again it also goes the other way around. A couple of bad apples ruins the LORs credibility and thus makes it harder for next generations. This happens everywhere and is caused by the lack of information. We have talked about this before...sigh

I was just referring to Latin America in general.Chile was just an example. Btw the new generation of Chilean economists comes from MIT.
The story about the Lor's is already know.What I was making light on is that there had been in the past between Chicago and some Latin American countries an agreement.This is a historical fact and cannot be change!
You can easily verified by doing a small research;)

econphilomath
03-18-2008, 01:36 AM
I was just referring to Latin America in general.Chile was just an example. Btw the new generation of Chilean economists comes from MIT.
The story about the Lor's is already know.What I was making light on is that there had been in the past between Chicago and some Latin American countries an agreement.This is a historical fact and cannot be change!
You can easily verified by doing a small research;)

No Chileans have gotten into MIT for 5 years. I have no idea what you are talking about.

History by itself has little to do with placements. Adcoms are worried about placements, not some foreign exchange student deal. Maybe that went down in the 50s but now thats for programs in public policy and of that ilk, not hard core economic theory.

If by chance some was to get in a top program due to old ties between universities it has to do with personal ties between a LOR writer and someone important, not institutional ones. If what you say is true, I think it would be unfair and very inefficient. I am not aware of any such institutional arrangements that are in place now.

:2cents:

italos
03-18-2008, 02:10 AM
No Chileans have gotten into MIT for 5 years. I have no idea what you are talking about.

:2cents:
Vittorio Corbo , Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel, Giorgio De Gregorio,Oscar Landerretche and many others come from MIT.Young in the sense of new generation not for the last 5 years
For the rest forget about.You haven't understood my point.

econphilomath
03-18-2008, 02:25 AM
Who's Giorgio De Gregorio?

I know the president of the Central Bank is called Jose De Gregorio from MIT?...

Anyway I get you point about the old generation from Chicago (Milton Friedman and Halberger students ) are old retired, or out of power while new power economist are from MIT from the days of Rudy Dornbusch. I misunderstood and thought you meant there was some sort of deal to get chileans into MIT which is crazy given revealed preference by the adcom there.

Also I would mention Ricardo Caballero currently tenured at MIT. Eduardo Engel tenured at Yale both from MIT.

Google says the Finance minister of Chile is from Harvard, professor Andres Velasco who is on leave from the Kennedy School. Last president Ricardo Lagos was a phd from Duke.

italos
03-18-2008, 02:44 AM
I am glad you spend some time in searching it![clap]:tup:

econphilomath
03-18-2008, 03:20 AM
I am glad you are glad. You could try it some time.