PDA

View Full Version : In at UT Austin, what's next?

cartaxo
02-20-2008, 11:28 AM
This is my first post in this forum.

I just heard that I was accepted at UT Austin, I would like to ask you guys, especially those that are also in, 3 things:

1) Next steps: did you send an e-mail to vivian, or something?

2) The pros and cons of this Program?

3) I've read before that some of you really like Austin, as an European myself I know very little about the place could you enlighten me on why it is such a great place?

Andronicus
02-20-2008, 11:41 AM
First, congrats!

1) I didn't send an email. I got an email from the graduate admissions committee chair saying I was being nominated for a fellowship. I'm just waiting to hear back about the final funding decision.

2) It's a strong program, probably top-20 (at least top-30) and especially good in macro and in game theory. However, they do have a reputation for being tough and having high attrition. I've also heard some people say their placements don't compare favorably to other similarly ranked schools. I'm still trying to find out more pros and cons myself.

3) Austin has a great music scene: I think I read that it has the most live music venues per capita of any US city. Also, it has warmer weather than most other similarly ranked schools.

Valhalla
02-20-2008, 11:46 AM
I know very little about the place could you enlighten me on why it is such a great place?

:tup: ........ Aaaaaaaaaaaaand why did you apply there??? Did you take a list of universities and make random choices?? Based on..... what? Like:Closing your eyes and pointing on universities?? That's by far the best "first" thread I've ever read...
(I didn't apply there so don't think this is somehow based on frustration....).... but sorry I simply couldn't stop laughing when I read that one...

So all other UT admits out there: Tell the poster why he actually applied there----:tup::D:tup:

Andronicus
02-20-2008, 11:48 AM
I think cartaxo means he/she didn't know much about the city of Austin itself, as opposed to the university or the graduate program.

Valhalla
02-20-2008, 11:49 AM
And what was meant with "The pros and cons of this Program?"
-----:hmm:

Andronicus
02-20-2008, 11:51 AM
I suppose the kind of factors they don't usually put on their website, like attrition rates.

Valhalla
02-20-2008, 11:54 AM
All right if this was indeed the case then I got it wrong... sorry OP... no offense, great lawyer :)

cartaxo
02-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Valhala: glad to make you laugh...
Sure I know the people and research agenda there!!! dahhh

Andronicus: thanks that's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for, helped me a bunch

doubtful
02-20-2008, 03:49 PM
It looks like Austin this year is attracting a lot of students.. I haven't applied to the econ program but to the Business School... ;)

doubtful
02-20-2008, 03:55 PM
It looks like Austin this year is attracting a lot of students.. I haven't applied to the econ program but to the Business School... ;)

pevdoki1
02-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Congrats!! I hear Austin is a great city with great music and movie scenes (if you like trash/grindhouse movies, Quentin Tarantino organizes a movie festival there every year where he shows stuff like Suspiria, Cannibal Holocaust etc :D)

The prons and cons of the program depend on what you want to study :D What are your interests?

bertthepuppy
02-20-2008, 04:07 PM
To all of the Austin admits: Has your online status changed?

Andronicus
02-20-2008, 04:24 PM
To all of the Austin admits: Has your online status changed?

Mine says: "We're pleased to inform you that you've been accepted to The University of Texas at Austin. We recommend that you contact your graduate adviser as soon as possible. It's a pleasure to welcome you as a graduate student."

bertthepuppy
02-20-2008, 04:31 PM
Thanks! Mine still says nothing :whistle:

Mr.Keen
02-20-2008, 04:41 PM
I got an e-mail from Vivian, too. No change in the webpage status, though. Vivian said I was going to get a letter from the Graduate School in a couple of weeks. I did reply to her email thanking them and saying that I was happy to hear from them. The fly-out is scheduled for Friday, March 28, but they are still working on the agenda.

I really like this program. I had the opportunity to audit a PhD field course in international economics and a semester-long seminar a couple of years ago and I got the best impression from the professors and the grad students there.

cartaxo
02-20-2008, 05:17 PM
on the online thing, same as andronicus...

Thank you Mr Keen looks great, and incidently I'm really into int econ!

Mr.Keen
02-20-2008, 05:20 PM
on the online thing, same as andronicus...

Thank you Mr Keen looks great, and incidently I'm really into int econ!

Great! Where do you actually check that on the webpage??

Andronicus
02-20-2008, 05:21 PM
Great! Where do you actually check that on the webpage??

https://utdirect.utexas.edu/admissions/status_check.WBX

Mr.Keen
02-20-2008, 05:22 PM
https://utdirect.utexas.edu/admissions/status_check.WBX (https://unccmail.uncc.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://utdirect.utexas.edu/admissions/status_check.WBX)

That link takes me to UNC Charlotte! But I know that webpage anyway. I was just wondering where exactly the admission notification would appear once you log in. Thanks.

cartaxo
02-20-2008, 05:23 PM
You will need your UT ID and the password also...

Andronicus
02-20-2008, 05:24 PM
That link takes me to UNC Charlotte!

Weird, I copied it out of my UNC Charlotte email, which I guess is the problem. Try pasting the URL directly into explorer instead of clicking the link.

AstralTraveller
02-20-2008, 05:27 PM
That link takes me to UNC Charlotte! But I know that webpage anyway. I was just wondering where exactly the admission notification would appear once you log in. Thanks.

Maybe our "better metal snake" pal is from UNC Charlotte, and he copied the link from his own mail server. If you copy and paste the URL you should be able to get the right link.....

AT

Andronicus
02-20-2008, 05:27 PM

Name:***
Permanent Address:***
E-mail Address:***
Residency for Tuition:Nonresident
Term:Fall 2008
Current School-Major:Graduate School
Economics
Doctorate Second Major Choice:None on file
Applicant UT EID: ***
We're pleased to inform you that you've been accepted to The University of Texas at Austin. We recommend that you contact your graduate adviser as soon as possible. It's a pleasure to welcome you as a graduate student.
If you have questions regarding your application status, please contact the Graduate and International Admissions Center (http://www.utexas.edu/student/giac/contactgiac.html).

Thank you for applying to the University of Texas at Austin.

Mr.Keen
02-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Thanks Andronicus. No change in my status, I hope they don't change their mind, lol.