PDA

View Full Version : What's the procedure - admitted, no funding info yet - reply to their email?

MzSunshine
02-20-2008, 02:56 PM
Oops, I guess I should've thought about this last week, but better late than never...

When the graduate admissions coordinator sends you an email (very nice in tone, personalized in terms of your name only on it, but rather template-like in format) that you were admitted, and he's very excited about the prospect of seeing you next year, etc, but adds that funding decisions haven't been made yet, what is the proper procedure for the applicant? Email back and express interest? Wait to hear about funding first before writing back?

I am definitely excited about this admission (Santa Barbara), but there is absolutely no way I can go without funding, so I've just been sitting on the letter and haven't replied. What do you guys think is the proper procedure in these kinds of cases? Would a reply clearly stating my interest perhaps help me when they make funding decisions? Or do they not really expect to hear back from you before they tell you about the money? Any comments would be appreciated!

pevdoki1
02-20-2008, 03:15 PM
If the e-mail doesn't mention anything about funding, I guess you may e-mail and ask if you wish (but you might as well assume that this information is not available yet).

My UVA e-mail says that the first round of funding decisions will be made this week. So I'm sitting back for now.

In the end, I think schools tend to let you know about money as soon as it becomes known to them.

Mr.Keen
02-20-2008, 04:59 PM
I did reply to the email from UT Austin, even though they said a funding decision was pending. I just thanked them and restated my interest in the program. There is nothing wrong with that.