PDA

View Full Version : Oxford MSc in Development - some questions

econzo
02-20-2008, 10:22 PM
I never really thought to apply to a Master's degree because I didn't see the point in it. But I just found out about this program. I switched to Economics a bit late in university, and I think a program like Oxford's would help me when it comes time to do research. So I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone been accepted into the program? If so, could you post up your profile? Is mine reasonably competitive ?
Public American University (economics program is so-so)
GRE: 770Q, 680V, 6.0AWA
GPA: 3.85
Math: Diff Eq., Calc1-3, Linear Algebra, Intro to Abstract Math (Proofs)
Not sure if relevant: 1 year language study in Middle East (fluent in Arabic) - mentioned in my SOP as I'm interested in ME development.
LORs: Meh (teachers seemed enthusiastic enough, but again, I switched in late and didn't have much time to form relationships - i.e. no research adviser that can comment specifically)

2. Is it too late to apply to the program? The website says they "gather fields 1, 2, 3 and 4" with 4 having a deadline of March 14, 2008. But does that mean it's like rolling admissions? Is there any point in applying for the fourth gathering?

3. How much does it end up costing?

Oh, I have LORs/SOP because I applied to a few econ PhD programs already.

Olm
02-20-2008, 10:26 PM
1) Your profile is definitely strong enough for Oxford.
2) Definitely too late, but you have an outside chance. If you're not in by the first gathered field, the chances of admission fall exponentially.
3) Go to the Oxford website. Look it up.

If you want to use this as a stepping stone for a PhD in econ, I would recommend the MPhil instead.

Karina 07
02-20-2008, 10:36 PM
1) It's debatable. You stand a decent chance but they like people who can show a real interest in development (it's different people who evaluate applications for it versus the Econ MPhil), which would be best portrayed through recommendations (and actually even the arabic would make you stand out a bit). Definitely apply, but don't count on it as a safety.

2) You basically need to be in the 1st or 2nd gathered field, and preferably the 1st.

3) A ton.

NB: They won't be happy to see references/SOP which are promoting you for an econ PhD. They want people who are very interested in their program. Make sure to get all your references tweaked to reflect this....

econzo
02-20-2008, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I figured it was a bit late to apply even if they said they still accepted group 4. I only asked about the price just because I wasn't sure what the real price would be (the website is pretty confusing...only directly lists overseas fees for MPhil in Dev. Studies and MPhil in Economics...roughly $21,500-30,000).

filroz
02-20-2008, 11:41 PM
Fees and expenses : Oxford University Graduate Studies Prospectus 2008/09 (http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/postgraduate/finance/fees.shtml)
tells it all, in addition to course fee, there is university fee and college fee and then of course food etc...