PDA

View Full Version : need admission nowadays

okcash
02-20-2008, 10:43 PM
It's not a thread, it's a threat.

I need an admission immediately. I am warning you. I know you hear me. This is your last chance. My way, or hiway,,

Olm
02-20-2008, 10:50 PM
I am refreshing my email, this site, and gradcafe every few seconds.

I am losing it :(

If I had an admit, I could stop obsessively checking...

israelecon
02-20-2008, 10:52 PM
I am refreshing my email, this site, and gradcafe every few seconds.

I am losing it :(

If I had an admit, I could stop obsessively checking...

who are you kidding?
even if you had an admit you would still be obsessing, you would just me much happier while obsessing.

appliedtheorist
02-20-2008, 10:56 PM
I second that.

MzSunshine
02-20-2008, 10:59 PM
Also, you could have an admit but no funding info - then you'd still be obsessing and refreshing and generally going bonkers. Let's face it, unless you've a stellar admit with lots of $$$, you won't be really relaxing til April 15th...

08Applicant
02-20-2008, 11:00 PM
And what must be a good omen for my future: my company's health insurance got dropped by our provider.

In a few weeks I'll run out of hope for grad school and stand in line at the nearest free clinic.

Chicunomics
02-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Also, you could have an admit but no funding info - then you'd still be obsessing and refreshing and generally going bonkers. Let's face it, unless you've a stellar admit with lots of $$$, you won't be really relaxing til April 15th...

Also not true, because then you get greedy and want even more.

israelecon
02-20-2008, 11:21 PM
thats true.
i have a good admit (NYU$$$) and i can hardly think of a place i would rather go (see discussion in the taxes thread), unless i get admitted to harvard or MIT which i consider unlikely(and even then i still might prefer nyu). yet, despite all this i am still obsessing. there is no rational explanation for it, its just very addictive.

Canuckonomist
02-20-2008, 11:34 PM
While it is stressful, it's an exciting time. Every Admit gives you a reason to celebrate. A professor of mine, who got his Ph.D from JHU, said that when he was applying (about 45 Years ago,) he remembers sitting by the mailbox anxiously waiting, terrified, but excited. I wonder what it was like for him, a lad from rural canada without internet, and most importantly, without TM.

It is a stressful time, but I am happy knowing I've got TM to let me know when schools are sending out admits, as opposed to being in the dark until the mailperson comes with a present.

Ancalagon The Black
02-20-2008, 11:39 PM
Same here.

Karina 07
02-21-2008, 12:04 AM
It's not a thread, it's a threat.

I need an admission immediately. I am warning you. I know you hear me. This is your last chance. My way, or hiway,,

You know, it was pretty creepy to see this when I put the mouse over the thread title, when the thread title was right on top of the one about Virginia Tech.... :eek:

econphilomath
02-21-2008, 12:32 AM
who are you kidding?
even if you had an admit you would still be obsessing, you would just me much happier while obsessing.

I adhere to group obsessing regardless of admits....

but its once in a lifetime stress...

Also not true, because then you get greedy and want even more.

Also, I must admit it just a little.

there is no rational explanation for it, its just very addictive.

Totally irrational behavior....

I wonder what it was like for him, a lad from rural canada without internet, and most importantly, without TM.

No TM? I couldn't get through it.... no way. Just imagine, watching thegradcafe not sure if its a real post or not!!

Canuckonomist
02-21-2008, 01:32 AM
No TM? I couldn't get through it.... no way. Just imagine, watching thegradcafe not sure if its a real post or not!!

You forget, that no internet implies no TM AND no Gradcafe!

C152dude
02-21-2008, 01:42 AM
I have not had internet in my apartment for the last 4 days! AHHHHHHHHHHH!

okcash
02-21-2008, 08:46 AM
give me that letter and nobody gets injured,,

otherwise iPod Touch will be thrown to the Bosphorus. what else such a pinching machine can do, other than checking emails 3245534643564543656 times a day.

p.s. reading TM is the bonus track.

Olm
02-21-2008, 02:45 PM

Uh no because if I strike out (it seems likely), my likely career after my MA from a totally unknown university is that of a garbageman. :mad:

sushigushi
02-21-2008, 03:57 PM
haha, it's so funny to compare the posts of people who already have a good admit and those who don't...

...for those who already have something in the pocket; seriously quit it :)

You sound like those nerdy kids who know they passed a tough exam but still wants to hang out with the bunch who are seriously worried that they failed.. saying: "Yeah man, question 2 was reeeaaally tough... I studied soo hard, I'm soo worried man... yeah"...

...it's not like you're fooling anybody, show some respect :)

I mean, I got in at Madison (waiting for the remaining 7 top programs) and I'm chilling major... the first admit marginally reduces your stress more than all the admits after put together.. now you at least know you have an option.

SO.

PS. If there was no TM and no Gradcafe we would all be soooo much happier.. here, we're all just firing each other up (while reassuring each other that our sick obsessive behavior is OK.... :))...

No internet would be even better; there would be no sitting behind the computer hitting F5 every 3 minutes... instead of an anxiety attack every time you see Inbox (1), we would have it once a day... when the mailman drops by....

Ah well...

israelecon
02-21-2008, 04:02 PM
so you consider madison in the top ten...

sushigushi
02-21-2008, 04:17 PM
so you consider madison in the top ten...

?

Considering my fields of interests, certainly. Mind you, it is the 'lowest ranked' program I applied to, whatever that's supposed to mean.

But what on earth does that have to do with knowing you have a chance (i.e. getting your first admit) to go for a PhD at one of the institutions you picked yourself?

Olm
02-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Sushi, you have an admit in the pocket. That means you at least know you're going to be an economist.

The average TMer's utility function is something like:

U = f(E, ?, C)

Where
E = Gaining entrance to an institution: dU/dE > 0
? = Uncertainty about the future: dU/d? < 0
C = Cake: dU/dC > 0

All I have is uncertainty. I don't even have cake. So currently, my utility is negative. In a dynamic sense, my optimal behavior is to continue to check TM in an attempt to reduce uncertainty ;)

israelecon
02-21-2008, 04:27 PM
Sushi, you have an admit in the pocket. That means you at least know you're going to be an economist.

The average TMer's utility function is something like:

U = f(E, ?, C)

Where
E = Gaining entrance to an institution: dU/dE > 0
? = Uncertainty about the future: dU/d? < 0
C = Cake: dU/dC > 0

All I have is uncertainty. I don't even have cake. So currently, my utility is negative. In a dynamic sense, my optimal behavior is to continue to check TM in an attempt to reduce uncertainty ;)

well, you can monotonically transform your utility function and then you can have a positive utility.

Olm
02-21-2008, 04:31 PM
I tried to log it on my calculator, but it gave me an error ;)

/endhorriblenerdymathjoke

sushigushi
02-21-2008, 04:43 PM

Hehe, fair enough, but if you were unable to reduce the uncertainty (no internet, no TM and no GradCafe), you might as well have been baking cake!

How do |dU/d?| and |dU/dC| compare?

And what about |dU/d?(t)| and |dU/dC(t+1)|?

In other words: what happens if we consider the fact this is a dynamic model in which at each t you can choose whether to start baking cake (allowing consumption of C after 1 period) or continue hitting F5 om the hope that you will have less ? for that extra period :) Perhaps not having the option of reducing ? might in the end lead to higher Sum[U(t),t={0,...,Admission Results Time}]... but do to the fact that we can make a choice at each t, we never start baking our cake....

...hmmm... okokok.... these models need some work.. but you catch my drift :)