PDA

View Full Version : Advice on what classes to take in my last quarter in undergrad

warriorshame
02-21-2008, 03:05 AM
Hey guys, I'm picking classes for what is, perhaps, my last quarter as an undergrad. (I'm applying for fall 09). I pretty much have two open slots for econ/math classes (the rest have to be general ed in order to graduate on time). I'm choosing between the following three classes: game theory, mathematical economics, and mathematical statistics. Here are the course descriptions, along with notes about my situation:

109. Game Theory (4) Introduction to game theory. Analysis of people’s decisions when the consequences of the decisions depend on what other people do. This course features applications in economics, political science, and law.
-Uses Joel Watsons "Strategy" book
-Class not Taught by Watson, but I hear the instructor is good

113. Mathematical Economics (4) Mathematical concepts and techniques used in advanced economic analysis; applications to selected aspects of economic theory.
-It's pretty much a General Equilibrium Theory Class
-Uses Ross Starr's "General Equilibrium Theory" text
-Class is Taught by Starr himself:grad:
-Uses Real Analysis and Brower Fixed point theorem

181B. Introduction to Mathematical Statistics (4) Goodness of fit, special small sample distribution and use, nonparametric methods. Kolmogorov-Smirnov statistics, sequential analysis.
-I don't have a formal math stats class under my belt
-My 3 quarter econometrics sequence is duplicated credit with the introductory math stats class (181A), so I would have to take this second course in math stats without taking the first.
-My econometrics sequence was not rigorous at all, so I may be ill prepared to join a math stats sequence mid-way through

Again, I'd love to take all three, but with two jobs and research going on, I really just don't have time. Any advice?

israelecon
02-21-2008, 03:11 AM
i would take the first two, but thats just because i hate statistics and econometrics.

macroeconomicus
02-21-2008, 03:12 AM
It seems to me that any one of these courses would be "nice to have". Also almost certainly, if you don't take them it won't hurt you much because you will probably see these subjects in your PhD program. Just go by your interests, scheduling considerations, and also by the quality of instructors. If you know that such and such person is a great lecturer then take the class with him/her.

warriorshame
02-21-2008, 03:24 AM
It seems to me that any one of these courses would be "nice to have". Also almost certainly, if you don't take them it won't hurt you much because you will probably see these subjects in your PhD program. Just go by your interests, scheduling considerations, and also by the quality of instructors. If you know that such and such person is a great lecturer then take the class with him/her.

I'd definitely prefer to go with game theory and mathematical economics.

I just don't want a lack of mathematical statistics to leave a huge hole in my profile (I already have enough of those).

is 3 quarters econometrics+1 quarter math probability course sufficient?
(I jumped into the probability sequence mid-way without taking the previous course, similar to what I would have to do if I took mathematical statistics)

C152dude
02-21-2008, 04:19 AM
Off topic: How is the paper coming along?

buckykatt
02-21-2008, 06:08 AM
IMHO, the basics of game theory are pretty easy to pick up on your own, so I'd tend to say go with the other two. But I don't think you'd hurt yourself by skipping stats, and that goes double if you don't feel prepared for it.