PDA

View Full Version : The Big 4 (Queens, UWO, Toronto, UBC) Academic Placement Comparison!

Olm
02-21-2008, 06:57 AM
I am creating this thread to serve as a compare and contrast between the academic placement records of the "Big 4" Canadian schools. For those of us who want to be academics, this is of particular importance. :grad:

(in the "notable schools" field, I will note any top US or Canadian schools)

University of Toronto, placement 2002-2007:
U of T : Economics : Graduate Programs (http://www.economics.utoronto.ca/index.php/index/graduate/placement)
notable schools: UBC twice in 2005

University of Western Ontario, academic placement 2003-2007:
http://www.ssc.uwo.ca/economics/grad/PLACEMENT2003-2007.pdf
notable schools: UPenn (!), Toronto

University of British Columbia, placement 2003-2007:
http://www.econ.ubc.ca/grads/phd_grads.pdf
notable schools: none

Queen's University, placement 1998-2007:
The Ph.D. Program in Economics at Queen's (http://www.econ.queensu.ca/pub/graduate/about-phd.php)
notable schools: Toronto, Wisconsin-Madison, UCL

Using a past study (using 2003-2004 placements) about overall placement:
http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/68010-ranking-economics-departments-worldwide-basis-phd-placement.html
rank #40: UWO
rank #42: UBC
rank #45: Queen's
rank #51: Toronto

Analysis: UWO bested the other Canadian schools in the study, but the ratings may have been highly skewed by the UPenn placement. Overall, the placement record of the Big 4 is quite similar.

I find this to be quite strange because the rankings of the four schools are quite far apart on the EconPhD ratings (2004):
rank #20: UBC
rank #36: Toronto
rank #61: Queen's
rank #103: UWO

Overall, I think the placements are similar enough that it shouldn't be a factor when choosing which of the Big 4 to attend. Other factors, such as program friendliness, funding, attrition, etc. should be examined closely when choosing between these programs.

econyun
02-21-2008, 08:23 AM
after U minnesota, I also focus on those master program in Canada...
Among them, which one had the best placement record for Phd?

Olm
02-21-2008, 02:40 PM
In terms of being a stepping stone for a PhD, they all place students in top schools on a regular basis (Harvard, Yale, MIT, Berkeley, etc). And since they take students from these schools quite often, the profs at those schools have other students to compare you to.

ethomso
02-21-2008, 04:21 PM
I applied to nearly all of those schools, except for UWO whcih I here hasn't been as hot of a school lately.

Based on placements, friendliness, funding and faculty, I would say that Queen's is likely the best place in Canada to go as a Master's student. It's friendler than the University of Toronto (but where isn't?), to my understanding, they fund all of their Master's students 16K per year, and they have placements at all the top ten schools because a good portion of their faculty is from schools like Berkeley, Princeton, Stanford, Chicago and Yale.

Toronto has a very good reputation but I have heard that they aren't as friendly and they usually only fund doctoral stream students 13.5K per year which certainly does not go very far in Toronto compared to the 16K offered by Queen's in Kingston.

Western has lost a lot of faculty over the past few years and has really de-emphasised the need to even be an economics major for their Master's/PhD program. They also don't fund as much as Queen's. London is a pretty lively city though with a great music scene and I have heard taht the profs and students themselves are friendly.

UBC is probably the best school based on reputation academcially and as far as how friendly and beautiful the campus is. The only real problem is that it is in Vancouver which is expensive to live in and they don't fund everyone which can make it expensive to go there. Vancouver is probably the best place to live for doing your Master's but unless you are one of the top students applying to UBC you will likely need external funding to be able to afford it.

Olm
02-21-2008, 04:26 PM
Great post Ethomso!

I agree 100% about Toronto... for their MAs, it's sink or swim. Then again they don't even have a thesis requirement, one of the only ones in Canada that don't have it.

I haven't heard about UWO losing a lot of people. Hum. Interesting information. And their de-emphasis on econ undergrads is warranted IMHO, because the only useful pure econ courses at that level is the micro sequence.

can_econ
02-21-2008, 04:50 PM
In terms of being a stepping stone for a PhD, they all place students in top schools on a regular basis (Harvard, Yale, MIT, Berkeley, etc). And since they take students from these schools quite often, the profs at those schools have other students to compare you to.
I think your second point is dead on, but as regards the first - I should point out that for UBC's MA, neither my year nor the year before me placed anyone in a top 9 school. My UBC year's best admits outside of Canada were U Mich, UCLA, LSE (unfunded), and Rochester, the year before was similar I believe. Based on what I've heard, I think Queen's MA didn't have any top 15 admits for the past 2 years; I haven't heard of any top 9 placements from U of T but wouldn't necessarily know.

As for placements of PhDs you listed - I find it odd that Queen's doesn't have a full list; they placed students at UWisc-Madison and UCL a couple year back. I think you're right that all of these schools have been placing similarly in recent history. By the time you have to decide where to go you'll get to see this year's placements too.

Legatus
02-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Talking about top placements, in the past couple of years UWO has placed a couple of people at Yale and Penn out of its masters. I still don't know why people don't think its a good place.

RaaR
02-21-2008, 05:33 PM
Here are my 2 cents:

First and foremost, forget about econphd's ranking. It has nothing to do with phd/ma training & placements, and is quite misleading. I would use this ranking to a very limited extent if I had to choose among the 4.

For PhD: All 4 are good. Period. All have good economists who are doing top-notch research. As Olm said, it really comes down to personal preferences. I do not believe there are any major differences/concerns from the academic aspect. If you're good, coming out of either of the 4, you'll do well. They're all equivalent in terms of placement/training. Bottom line: funding, location, special-interests (ie: some1 specific you'd like to work with), personal issues (family, friends, etc.) - those are the main factors.

For MA: Again, all 4 are good; training level is equivalent (especially for industry). For PhD, if you're good, and you have a strong background, you'll have good options coming out of either of the 4. Nonetheless - in my view there are some differences in terms of MA placements to PhD. I haven't seen UBC placing anyone in top places (perhaps years back, but not recently) so I am not sure why places like 'MIT, Harvard, etc.' were mentioned in previous discussions; that's far from reality as it seems. With UoT it's pretty similar, only I did see a few (very few) placements in top places in recent years (as opposed to none at UBC). With UWO & Queen's it's a bit different; they seem to do a better job (perhaps even much better) in that sense. Western placed students at yale & Upenn in the last 3 years (only a few, but given that they have an entering class of around 15, with 12 of them staying at Western, that's not bad). And Queen's, well - that's the only school that I've really seen sending students to all the top places, and really quite often (I've seen ppl in Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley, Chicago...). Last year I know they sent some1 to Harvard (so it's not true that for the past 2 years there haven't been a top 15 placement).
Bottom line: All 4 are good; meaning, if you're at one either of them and you're good, you'll do well and you will have options for sure. However, I would put Queen's & UWO above the rest in terms of MA placement to PhD. In terms of being prepared to go to industry, I don't think there's any difference between the 4 (perhaps UoT would be preferred, but only because of its location...).

ethomso
02-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Great post Ethomso!

I haven't heard about UWO losing a lot of people. Hum. Interesting information. And their de-emphasis on econ undergrads is warranted IMHO, because the only useful pure econ courses at that level is the micro sequence.

That info was from a prof who got his PhD from Western and still knows faculty there, maybe he is a little bitter :p I think the reason that UWO has de-emphasised economics undergrad is because, in Canada at least, universities woefully underprepare students for the math at graduate level economics. In my fourth year micro course some students were asking what an integral was!

For most undergraduate degree programs in Canada, one only requires one to two math courses to graduate with a degree in Economics. Considering the mathematical rigor of graduate economics it isn't to surprising to hear that they are de-emphasisng economics students.

That being said I would be worried that at UWO the students themselves might be unfamiliar with some of the current issues in economics considering that UWO states themselves that they will accept students with no economics background. Also, it make me suspect that UWO might be shifting focus away from teaching how to solve real world economics problems to mathematical abstraction beyond practical use.

asquare
02-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Great info here. Thanks for digging up those links, Olm.

ethomso
02-21-2008, 06:49 PM
That reminds me. According to the UBC website, it is actually suggested that you don't write a thesis unless you contact a prof well in advance of when you start studying.

M.A. Program in Economics (http://www.econ.ubc.ca/grads/frame1.htm)

Olm
02-21-2008, 06:53 PM
That reminds me. According to the UBC website, it is actually suggested that you don't write a thesis unless you contact a prof well in advance of when you start studying.

M.A. Program in Economics (http://www.econ.ubc.ca/grads/frame1.htm)

True, but you still have to write a "research paper", which I am guessing is the length of what other schools call a "thesis" for their MA programs.

rcwlhk
02-21-2008, 08:42 PM
I couldn't agree more on this.

I believe you can do economics here in two ways: the quant way and the non-quant way. Most people who do it the quant way, would likely double major in both Economics and Mathematics. The people who don't do it the quant way (and incidentally, also happens to be the slackers of the faculty) would end up taking courses like Women and Economics (OK, nothing related to being sexist; its just a 3xx level course that teaches 1xx level microecon, at least from what I heard), Economic History of Canada (sounds more like a history course than anything), etc.

Hence, this begs the question: What's the value of having a BA Economics on your CV if you don't have any math courses to back it up? Another question would be, is the situation similar in the US and/or Europe?

For most undergraduate degree programs in Canada, one only requires one to two math courses to graduate with a degree in Economics. Considering the mathematical rigor of graduate economics it isn't to surprising to hear that they are de-emphasisng economics students.

filroz
02-21-2008, 09:04 PM
I believe you can do economics here in two ways: the quant way and the non-quant way. Most people who do it the quant way, would likely double major in both Economics and Mathematics. The people who don't do it the quant way (and incidentally, also happens to be the slackers of the faculty) would end up taking courses like Women and Economics (OK, nothing related to being sexist; its just a 3xx level course that teaches 1xx level microecon, at least from what I heard), Economic History of Canada (sounds more like a history course than anything), etc.

I do not agree... you need not mathematical super intelligence to become good economist...
The Scientific Illusion in Empirical Macroeconomics (http://ideas.repec.org/a/bla/scandj/v93y1991i2p129-48.html)

AstralTraveller
02-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Hence, this begs the question: What's the value of having a BA Economics on your CV if you don't have any math courses to back it up? Another question would be, is the situation similar in the US and/or Europe?

Well, at my third world country there are really few places where you can major in Econ. I imagine there are no more than 5 or 6 places. The rest are all Business majors with hints of Econ.

However, at the University where I studied (which is really good, at least for latin american standards), this is the bare minumum math and stats you have to pass in order to major in Economics or Business:

Calculus I
Calculus II
Algebra I
Linear Algebra (now replaced by Calculus III)
Optimization Methods
Statistical Probability
Statistical Inference
Econometrics I

To get a professional degree in Economics (5th year), you have to add Econometric Theory I and Mathematical Economics (a.k.a., Dynamic Optimization) to this lot.

When I lectured a Math camp for grad students arriving from other Latin American countries to our univ., I was stunned to see that all of them who were Economists (or Econ majors) didn't have a clue of Math. :eek: I began teaching functions, and they had difficulties with ratios and decimal numbers. How was I supposed to teach them differentiation and matrix algebra, let alone Hamiltionians? :(

Most of those ultimately failed to stay on the program, and we had the biggest attrition rate in history. :yuck:

So, the major in your CV matters as long as it reflects correctly your Math qualifications. IMHO, if you don't know enough math, you'll be doomed. :(

Cheers,
AT

PS: My 200th post! Let's celebrate with an admit......pleeeeeaze? :blush:

Olm
02-21-2008, 09:07 PM
Okay guys stop derailing the thread please

flipecon
02-21-2008, 09:19 PM
good stuff olm.

Equilibrium
02-22-2008, 08:02 AM
I applied to nearly all of those schools, except for UWO whcih I here hasn't been as hot of a school lately.

Based on placements, friendliness, funding and faculty, I would say that Queen's is likely the best place in Canada to go as a Master's student. It's friendler than the University of Toronto (but where isn't?), to my understanding, they fund all of their Master's students 16K per year, and they have placements at all the top ten schools because a good portion of their faculty is from schools like Berkeley, Princeton, Stanford, Chicago and Yale.

Toronto has a very good reputation but I have heard that they aren't as friendly and they usually only fund doctoral stream students 13.5K per year which certainly does not go very far in Toronto compared to the 16K offered by Queen's in Kingston.

Western has lost a lot of faculty over the past few years and has really de-emphasised the need to even be an economics major for their Master's/PhD program. They also don't fund as much as Queen's. London is a pretty lively city though with a great music scene and I have heard taht the profs and students themselves are friendly.

UBC is probably the best school based on reputation academcially and as far as how friendly and beautiful the campus is. The only real problem is that it is in Vancouver which is expensive to live in and they don't fund everyone which can make it expensive to go there. Vancouver is probably the best place to live for doing your Master's but unless you are one of the top students applying to UBC you will likely need external funding to be able to afford it.
thanks for the info, i will be giving the all to seldom used reputation for your post. I will thank you again if i get into queen's masters program with said 16k, by luck of the draw it's the one masters program in Canada I applied to and I may consider it over a PhD offer so I at least have the option of re-applying to top 10s instead of into top 30

flipecon
02-22-2008, 03:20 PM
i contacted the program coordinator at Queen's and she/he said that results will be out end of this month or early march. sweet.

flipecon
02-22-2008, 03:21 PM
i contacted the program coordinator at Queen's and she/he said that results will be out end of this month or early march. sweet.

flipecon
02-22-2008, 03:22 PM

econyun
02-23-2008, 03:32 AM
What about the other 3??

econyun
02-23-2008, 03:35 AM
btw, is it possible that

1) since I have taken a Master/Phd Level of Microeconomics, Can I exempt it when I do the Master? And is it good to do so?

2) I found that at UBC, MA students are doing MA( Micro, Macro and Econometics ), so students request to take the Phd sequence? Is it goo to do so??

Thanks in advance for you input.

werther
02-23-2008, 05:02 AM

how accurate is your info? it's not always 16k for MAs - most of that $$ is in the form of TAship (approx.9k) and the rest are scholarship, which can vary from one applicant to another - from a couple thousand to many more. as for Toronto, although MA students get no funding, they get 10k from TAship (pretty much guaranteed, if you want it). so.. it would be more accurate to compare 10k UofT vs. 16k Queens (that is if Queens really offers 16k to all MA students - which I know isn't true)

werther
02-23-2008, 05:05 AM
btw, is it possible that

1) since I have taken a Master/Phd Level of Microeconomics, Can I exempt it when I do the Master? And is it good to do so?

2) I found that at UBC, MA students are doing MA( Micro, Macro and Econometics ), so students request to take the Phd sequence? Is it goo to do so??

Thanks in advance for you input.

i dont know why you still want to do MA - you should really just go for PhD. btw i doubt you can be "exempted" from core theory courses - either you take MA or take PhD sequence.

flipecon
02-23-2008, 05:25 AM
for western, Yvonne Adams mentioned that although they have sent some offers to several students, they are still going to send more this this month, March and April. She also confirmed about their recruitment schemes. I remember reading somewhere here that students who didn't even apply for MA Econ at Western were offered. This is true. For UBC, Maureen said that its on March and April. I havent heard from UofT, but the email I got from them mentioned something like March and April as well.
Btw, would you know the policies for Deferral of Admission? Just in case one decides to defer an offer for next year. The reason why I'm asking is I was thinking of working in a bank just for a year. Glad to hear from anyone. Thanks.

Olm
02-23-2008, 06:53 AM

Such good news, it was worth repeating three times ;)

Olm
02-23-2008, 06:57 AM
btw, is it possible that

1) I doubt you would get transfer credit for a theory course you took at another university.

2) I am almost sure (but could be wrong :hmm:) that the PhD sequence at UBC is for PhD students only. At places like Queens, MAs can do the PhD sequence (MA track 3 or something) or the regular MA courses, and at UofT students can do a PhD course if they pass the PhD math/stats review. I would call the respective schools for more details.

Olm
02-23-2008, 06:59 AM
Btw, would you know the policies for Deferral of Admission? Just in case one decides to defer an offer for next year. The reason why I'm asking is I was thinking of working in a bank just for a year. Glad to hear from anyone. Thanks.

After you get acceptances, ask your top choice if you can defer for a year. But to work in a bank for a year? What for? Get your PhD and you will pay off those student loans fast; besides, Canadian schools are great with funding.

econyun
02-23-2008, 08:57 AM
i dont know why you still want to do MA - you should really just go for PhD. btw i doubt you can be "exempted" from core theory courses - either you take MA or take PhD sequence.

I also want to go for Phd directly if an offer is given.

I already did Master Level Econometrics( year long ) with A- and Master/Phd Level Microeconomics 1 with A at my undergraduate institute.

I simply don t want to waste time to take them again.

ocean2
02-23-2008, 02:53 PM

Can we please have them at the end of this week. I can't concentrate on anything right now.

Thesus
02-23-2008, 03:58 PM
Last year, Cassin was offered direct admission to the PhD program at UBC.

I don't know if you could try to negotiate this at UBC or other programs if they don't offer; I certainly plan to try if I get an admit in the US.

Olm
02-23-2008, 05:29 PM
I also want to go for Phd directly if an offer is given.

I already did Master Level Econometrics( year long ) with A- and Master/Phd Level Microeconomics 1 with A at my undergraduate institute.

I simply don t want to waste time to take them again.

For Canadian Schools, if you go to a PhD directly from undergrad, they make you take more electives and they increase the residency requirement by a year.

If you have a Master's degree, you still aren't exempt from the PhD sequence - you are expected to have done those courses, and you're expected to do them again!

The only way you can opt out of them at the PhD level is to pass the comprehensives, otherwise you're pretty much forced to take them.

ethomso
02-24-2008, 04:00 AM
for western, Yvonne Adams mentioned that although they have sent some offers to several students, they are still going to send more this this month, March and April. She also confirmed about their recruitment schemes. I remember reading somewhere here that students who didn't even apply for MA Econ at Western were offered.

I'm sure that this is true. A prof of mine mentioned that he was asked by the UWO about any potential students that would be considered good graduate candidates.

Valhalla
02-25-2008, 05:55 PM
Hi!

What do you guys think about Simon Fraser University? Is it considered as a good place? Or a place that might become a good place in the future somehow? I didn't apply there but a friend of a friend of mine (who has a daughter called sissy who's best friend knows martin who's.... I know how it sounds..:)) was accepted there and I wanted to ask you for your honest opinion about their program, since he asked me and admittedly I didn't even know that there IS a university called SFU... any comment is highly appreciated.

Olm
02-26-2008, 01:56 AM
Simon Fraser is one of the second tier schools in Canada. If you just want a PhD in econ to hit the private sector, to teach at a community college/teaching university or work for the public sector, it fits the bill perfectly fine. If you want to do serious research, I would go elsewhere.

can_econ
02-26-2008, 02:09 AM
Hi!

What do you guys think about Simon Fraser University? Is it considered as a good place? Or a place that might become a good place in the future somehow? I didn't apply there but a friend of a friend of mine (who has a daughter called sissy who's best friend knows martin who's.... I know how it sounds..:)) was accepted there and I wanted to ask you for your honest opinion about their program, since he asked me and admittedly I didn't even know that there IS a university called SFU... any comment is highly appreciated.
I have a generally positive impression of SFU. They probably aren't comparable to top 50 US departments, but they have some good faculty doing good work and frequently bring in good speakers to seminars (UBC often has joint seminars with SFU at their downtown campus). Take a look at what some of the faculty are doing to get an idea of whether it would be a good fit - quite a few people there have good publication records, though some of them are working on topics that are a bit off the beaten track, which cuts both ways. They seem to have a healthy group of younger profs, and do get some academic placements at research universities. Apparently it's a friendly department too.

Olm
03-01-2008, 07:13 AM
Bumping this to the top, seeing as how decisions should be coming soon. I've also been "unofficially" rejected from UWO, but there is an outside chance I may slip in (very slight, as this year has been their most competitive year ever!).

can_econ
03-01-2008, 07:22 AM
Last year, Cassin was offered direct admission to the PhD program at UBC.

I don't know if you could try to negotiate this at UBC or other programs if they don't offer; I certainly plan to try if I get an admit in the US.

It's been done, just ask. It will be up to Mick Devereux (our grad director right now).

Valhalla
03-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Bumping this to the top, seeing as how decisions should be coming soon. I've also been "unofficially" rejected from UWO, but there is an outside chance I may slip in (very slight, as this year has been their most competitive year ever!).

Just a short story: One of my profs attended UWO and got his UG education there (or his master? I don't know). Anyways after he completed his studies at UWO he applied to many top econ departments and he was admitted at U of CHicago (FUNDED!), Yale, Berkeley..etc. He also applied for the PhD program at UWO and he emphasized that he would turn down all other offers if he was admitted to UWO (since he liked the university... bla bla). ALL his letter providers were from UWO and guess what: He was NOT admitted... he finally went to Chicago and made a great career... so what is that telling you?

Olm
03-01-2008, 06:48 PM
ALL his letter providers were from UWO and guess what: He was NOT admitted... he finally went to Chicago and made a great career... so what is that telling you?

Not sure... maybe the "overqualified so let's reject the application" theory? :hmm:

Anyway, the department at UWO has been working very hard to make it the top department in Canada with their hirings, the restructuring of their grad program (no more terminal MA, everyone gets funded), etc. UWO goes out of the way to recruit top students these days. I just hope I'm on the list :luck2:

reactor
03-01-2008, 07:35 PM
If it is of any value, I was told by UofT prof (with oxford MPhil) that UofT PhD placement opportunities are same with Oxford's (DPhil).

pevdoki1
03-01-2008, 07:41 PM
^
That's interesting...

U of T : Economics : PhD placement (http://www.economics.utoronto.ca/index.php/index/graduate/placement)

vs.

Placements (Oxford) (http://www.economics.ox.ac.uk/index.php/placements)

These links make Oxford look much stronger (especially if you want to work in Europe), but it would be nice to see the full placement list.

Lokayot
08-08-2008, 07:41 AM
Anyone know about the UBC and U of T placements for 2008?

ICECOLDECON
08-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Anyone know about the UBC and U of T placements for 2008?

This is current for Toronto

U of T : Economics : Graduate Programs (http://www.economics.utoronto.ca/index.php/index/graduate/currentPhdPlacement)

Lokayot
08-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Thanks, I should have been clearer, I meant MA placements.

ariel1987
03-24-2009, 10:19 PM
I thought I would revive this thread. I know we already have a Canadian one, but it may be efficient to save all of the Big 4 discussion in one thread for future references...

In my case, I am begging to Queens to give me an admission, when I have full funding from UBC. My profs and friends say I am crazy, and are begging me to take UBC. I just wanna stay close to my gf in Kingston.

Anyhow: More opinions regarding the big 4 are welcomed. After all, April is the month for Canadian Universities

economía
03-25-2009, 01:34 AM
I thought I would revive this thread. I know we already have a Canadian one, but it may be efficient to save all of the Big 4 discussion in one thread for future references...

In my case, I am begging to Queens to give me an admission, when I have full funding from UBC. My profs and friends say I am crazy, and are begging me to take UBC. I just wanna stay close to my gf in Kingston.

Anyhow: More opinions regarding the big 4 are welcomed. After all, April is the month for Canadian Universities

Hey, I've been on these forums for a few months and was accepted to UBC a couple weeks ago (more or less), this is a great way to get any new information about the big four, if there's any to share.

I plan to attend UBC and from what I've read over the last 2 years on this forum, the differences are marginal between the four programs. It seems to come down to 1) funding 2) location and 3) maybe faculty. But overall, the programs probably give each student the ability to shine as bright as each one chooses.

I have contacted some past and current UBC MA students and they have been very helpful, maybe some of that info can spill open in a more general setting.

canecon
03-25-2009, 02:12 AM
I plan to attend UBC and from what I've read over the last 2 years on this forum, the differences are marginal between the four programs. It seems to come down to 1) funding 2) location and 3) maybe faculty. But overall, the programs probably give each student the ability to shine as bright as each one chooses.

This is very true. Queen's had admits at Stanford, Northwestern, NYU, Caltech, Toronto, JHU, BU, BC, UCLA, UCD (and Queen's!) this year, I know someone at UBC got a Berkeley admit, but don't know much else.

So yes, you should be good to go whichever school you choose. Keep in mind, these schools can only do so much to boost your profile - there is definitely some value added, but having a good undergrad background + contacts remains critical.

Would be cool to know how other people fared from UBC and Toronto this year?

jamielimzh
03-25-2009, 04:03 AM
I have a question here:

Most of us do a MA in order to beef up our profile right? Either to get into a PhD program when our profiles do not allow us to do so yet... or in most instances, improve it to improve our chances at the top 20s or even 10s.
And i guess to serve that purpose, one need to probably impress a prof or two to get some decent LORs.
How then can anyone impress any prof within like 4 months into the program since Nov and Dec is about the time when we do our applications to PhD???

Canuckonomist
03-25-2009, 01:03 PM
This is very true. Queen's had admits at Stanford, Northwestern, NYU, Caltech, Toronto, JHU, BU, BC, UCLA, UCD (and Queen's!) this year...

Also Duke, UWO.

Oh, and in terms of getting LORs in 4 months, that's always an issue. You really have to be outgoing and really stick your neck out.

Cheers,

Canuck

italos
03-25-2009, 01:06 PM
Off topic:Where is olm?

jamielimzh
03-25-2009, 02:44 PM
Also Duke, UWO.

Oh, and in terms of getting LORs in 4 months, that's always an issue. You really have to be outgoing and really stick your neck out.

Cheers,

Canuck

You managed to do that?

Anyway, any possibility of staying at either of the 4 univerisities after a MA for a year as a RA or TA... while one applies only in the cycle after the MA???

Legatus
03-25-2009, 03:46 PM
To Canuck:
Is the person who got admitted to UWO coming here?

Canuckonomist
03-25-2009, 06:17 PM
To Canuck:
Is the person who got admitted to UWO coming here?

I'm not sure. My thoughts are that he'll take the Queen's offer instead, but I can't speak for him until I know for sure.

Canuck

ariel1987
03-26-2009, 09:59 PM
SO my Canadian classmates who received their offer from Queens had until today to reply.

I guess this is standard for many applicants, since they go their acceptance on the same day. I guess that after today, the internationals will begin to receive their offers.

Good luck guys

ecuaecon
03-26-2009, 10:02 PM
SO my Canadian classmates who received their offer from Queens had until today to reply.

I guess this is standard for many applicants, since they go their acceptance on the same day. I guess that after today, the internationals will begin to receive their offers.

Good luck guys
Ariel, are you talking about MA or PhD offers?

ariel1987
03-26-2009, 10:22 PM
the MA program

Peruano929
03-27-2009, 12:45 AM
OOoooh. Bring it, Queen's.

ariel1987
03-27-2009, 12:50 AM
If I end at Queen's Economics Department, the coolest thing ever will be when I finish my proofs with

QED

MoustaBill
03-27-2009, 01:00 AM
If I end at Queen's Economics Department, the coolest thing ever will be when I finish my proofs with

QED

:tup:

economía
03-27-2009, 01:01 AM
Best of luck to those waiting!

obtuse_icosahedron
03-27-2009, 01:56 AM
F5 F5 F5
F5 F5 F5
F5 F5 F5
F5 F5 F5

:D

My hopes are up again esp after having just received good news regarding funding at TSE $$$

Canuckonomist
03-27-2009, 03:40 AM
You can get a QED pin, too. I love pinning it to the end of slogans on T-Shirts.

Olm
03-30-2009, 06:44 PM
Off topic:Where is olm?

I'm still lurking. :ninja:

Timmy
03-31-2009, 02:14 AM
I'm still lurking. :ninja:

Olm is back![clap]

MountainKing
11-05-2012, 12:31 PM
I'm looking to learn some economics at grad school. The Canadian MA works just perfectly for what I want. I was fascinated by the variety of courses UBC offered.

Does the UBC MA offer a Co-op option? That would be GREAT! Waterloo doesn't have a very well ranked Econ department, but they have Co-Op! Which should help me with getting a job. Its a tradeoff between an easier path to getting a job vs a better MA program.

However, I don't plan on doing an Econ PhD. I'm actually taking the CFA, and my goal is to kind of blend Equity Investing with International Macroeconomics. It is a very specific goal, and I don't plan on pursuing it immediately. Something REALLY long term.

Anyhow, in short, if my goal is to land a job post MA Econ in Canada, which program would be suitable? A lot of the Econ jobs seem to be in Ottawa at Bank of Canada, Other Government Departments. Some Investment shops would find an Econ background useful too.

Can anybody comment on how well UBC and Queen's place outside PhD programs? It would be of great great help. Thanks in advance.
Specifically Bank of Canada & Private Sector. Does being outside Ottawa have disadvantages, in that case?

PureB
09-08-2014, 01:57 PM
how about ma programs (econ)?

kindersurprise
09-10-2014, 01:47 PM
how about ma programs (econ)?

Personally I don't think you can go wrong with any of the top 4 whether you're planning on entering the industry or a PhD afterwards (granted that your grades are solid).

PureB
09-10-2014, 02:52 PM
Thanks for your reply. However, my worry is that MAs are one-year programs. Possibly, students need to apply to phd programs after the first semester. Are MAs good ladders to top phd programs?

sevet
09-10-2014, 10:10 PM
Last year's MA-to-PhD placements were disappointing for UBC imo. Out of 6 applicants, 4 remained at UBC (2 also had Toronto offers) and 1 went elsewhere.

PureB
09-11-2014, 04:08 AM
Last year's MA-to-PhD placements were disappointing for UBC imo. Out of 6 applicants, 4 remained at UBC (2 also had Toronto offers) and 1 went elsewhere.

I'm interested in UBC's MA program, but I find that MA-to-PhD placements are not available on UBC's websites. I suppose most students in this program are evaluated by their undergraduate backgrounds when applying for PhD, because one semester in UBC may not add much to their research experience or knowledge structure. Maybe I'm wrong?

PureB
09-11-2014, 06:22 AM
I'm interested in UBC MA programs, but i find that its placements and courses are not available on UBC's websites. I suppose that students are evaluated mainly by their undergraduate background when applying for PhD, because one semester in UBC' one-year MA programs may not add much to their research experience or knowledge structure. Maybe I'm wrong?

sevet
09-11-2014, 07:30 AM
I'm interested in UBC MA programs, but i find that its placements and courses are not available on UBC's websites. I suppose that students are evaluated mainly by their undergraduate background when applying for PhD, because one semester in UBC' one-year MA programs may not add much to their research experience or knowledge structure. Maybe I'm wrong?

The VSE's course offerings are available online on their website.

And from what I've read here, unless your performance in a MA program is stellar, it does nothing but perhaps make you a safer bet than another undergrad applicant (which may be a good thing or a bad thing).

kindersurprise
09-14-2014, 05:04 PM

Only 6 people last year applied for PhD programs? Is that typical? Seems kind of low for the relative class size lol.