PDA

View Full Version : UCSD decisions are coming at the end of the month!

Olm
02-21-2008, 09:21 PM
They will be reviewing files until the end of next week, at which point they are going to send most of the rejects and admits out all at once.

If you're waiting for a reply from UCSD, you won't see anything in your emailbox until the end of the month at the earliest. So relax. :sleepy:

kartelite
02-21-2008, 10:36 PM
I guess that is different than last year. I recall some people had gotten in a while before I heard anything.

polkaparty
02-21-2008, 10:40 PM
As I recall, someone has already gotten into UCSD this year.

Olm
02-21-2008, 10:55 PM
Last year there were 3 early admits on the Gradcafe, so they by no means do 100% of their decisions on one day, just most of them.

filroz
02-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Olm, did you call everywhere? :D

Valhalla
02-21-2008, 11:24 PM
He IS the "secretaries whisperer" filroz!! Maybe he might even call departments where he didn't apply! Would you use your magic secret.-tricks for the well being of all of us? pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease :)

Internationalstudent08
02-22-2008, 01:16 AM
I'm really into this school. It's the other edge of the world for me (I'm european)... but it's a f**king nice edge hehe

C152dude
02-22-2008, 02:56 AM
La Jolla is amazing.

AstralTraveller
02-22-2008, 04:37 AM
Fingers crossed for the Time-Series Mount Olympus: La Jolla, CA :luck2:

signal08
02-22-2008, 05:57 AM
i went to high school near la jolla. the most beautiful place in the US!
(and hopefully i will get to go back! :D)

poorboy44
02-25-2008, 01:10 AM
Is UCSD still the best place to study time series econometrics, now that Granger and Engle are gone? I guess you still have White, Hamilton, Timmerman and Eliott, but are they still publishing actively?

Curious to see the profiles of UCSD admits this year. If you were admitted, could you post your profile?

Olm
02-25-2008, 01:12 AM
Only one admit on gradcafe so far.

Guest Who
02-25-2008, 02:03 AM
now that Granger and Engle are gone? I guess you still have White, Hamilton, Timmerman and Eliott, but are they still publishing actively?

Where is this notion that Granger is gone coming from? How many times does this completely unfounded idea need to get dispelled? (That said, you shouldn't be coming to UCSD under the expectation of working with Clive.)

Is White still publishing actively? Seriously, is this a question?

Anyway, an easy way to find out instead of taking it from me, you can easily look at their CVs online.

Elliot: http://www.econ.ucsd.edu/%7Egelliott/G.Elliott_cv.pdf (http://www.econ.ucsd.edu/%7Egelliott/G.Elliott_cv.pdf)
White: Professor White's Publications (http://weber.ucsd.edu/%7Embacci/white/pubs.html)
Timmerman: http://rady.ucsd.edu/faculty/directory/timmermann/docs/cv-timmermann.pdf

AstralTraveller
02-25-2008, 02:56 AM
Where is this notion that Granger is gone coming from? How many times does this completely unfounded idea need to get dispelled? (That said, you shouldn't be coming to UCSD under the expectation of working with Clive.)

Is White still publishing actively? Seriously, is this a question?

Well, the question regarding Hal White really got me....of course the guy is really alive and kicking!

And about Granger......I'm glad to know that he still goes there, although I'm looking forward at working with any of the rest happily.

I read he wasn't there anymore on Wikipedia. I know, it's only marginally more reliable than thegradcafe, but still........

MexEcon
02-25-2008, 03:08 AM
Hey Olm how do you know about this?
Is it possible that there is a single early admit. i though the commite meets and make decisions then send all the decisions together.
I am soo confused and stress out!

Olm
02-25-2008, 03:34 AM
Like I said, it's on the gradcafe... we don't even know if it's real or not.:hmm:

Guest Who
02-25-2008, 04:21 AM
I read he wasn't there anymore on Wikipedia. I know, it's only marginally more reliable than thegradcafe, but still........

"Fixed."

Saying he retired from UCSD is like saying Engle is still there: just false except for two months a year.

polkaparty
02-25-2008, 05:12 AM
My prediction is that UCSD will send out emails to admits tomorrow.

Olm
02-25-2008, 05:16 AM

Don't tease me, lady! Rochester is supposed to start sending out decisions tomorrow as well!

polkaparty
02-25-2008, 05:24 AM
Don't tease me, lady! Rochester is supposed to start sending out decisions tomorrow as well!

Good luck! :clover:

octavio
02-25-2008, 05:29 AM
Like I said, it's on the gradcafe... we don't even know if it's real or not.:hmm:

That is my admit on the gradcafe, so I'm willing to stand behind it with some level of confidence...

Here's the deal with the early admits. I got an email in early February saying that I was admitted and had been nominated for the San Diego Fellowship, which is basically a recruitment tool for people who would add "diversity" to the department/university. (For the record, I am a white American male, but I have had some fairly interesting life experiences and put effort into the Fellowship essay). The other day, the secretary sent us a bit of further information and put all of us in the "To" field rather than the "Bcc" so I was able to see that only 5 of us have been admitted so far. That leaves about 100 more admits to give out!

Hopefully that clears things up for anyone who cares. The only admits made so far were only done to meet the university-wide fellowship deadline. The real fun should start pretty soon here.

polkaparty
02-25-2008, 05:36 AM
Here's the deal with the early admits.

Thank you for the information and congratulations!

Olm
02-25-2008, 05:37 AM
That is my admit on the gradcafe, so I'm willing to stand behind it with some level of confidence...

Here's the deal with the early admits. I got an email in early February saying that I was admitted and had been nominated for the San Diego Fellowship, which is basically a recruitment tool for people who would add "diversity" to the department/university. (For the record, I am a white American male, but I have had some fairly interesting life experiences and put effort into the Fellowship essay). The other day, the secretary sent us a bit of further information and put all of us in the "To" field rather than the "Bcc" so I was able to see that only 5 of us have been admitted so far. That leaves about 100 more admits to give out!

Hopefully that clears things up for anyone who cares. The only admits made so far were only done to meet the university-wide fellowship deadline. The real fun should start pretty soon here.

Oh, cool. I guess I should have done something for the diversity essay, ROFL! Congrats on the admit!

poorboy44
02-25-2008, 05:58 AM

Do you have a confidence band around this point forecast? :D

polkaparty
02-25-2008, 06:06 AM
Do you have a confidence band around this point forecast? :D

At this point I put the 90% CI at +3 days.

the_asker
02-25-2008, 06:13 AM
3 days?! That's an eternity! Haha.

MexEcon
02-25-2008, 06:15 AM
Thank you for sharing this info.

Olm
02-25-2008, 05:49 PM
All right, time to see if Polka is right! (Let's hope she is!)

Internationalstudent08
02-27-2008, 02:38 AM
there is an acceptance in gradcafe. does anybody have more info? (generic or personal e-mail etc etc)

polkaparty
02-27-2008, 03:02 AM
there is an acceptance in gradcafe. does anybody have more info? (generic or personal e-mail etc etc)

There's no way it was a mass email and just one person posted on GC.

Internationalstudent08
02-27-2008, 03:21 AM
that makes sense. anyway, it seems that we should wait one more day for ucsd

Olm
02-28-2008, 04:26 PM
All right, UCSD decisions should be coming today at the earliest. Let's hope for some good news... not sure how much of this **** I can take anymore.

polkaparty
02-28-2008, 04:27 PM
All right, UCSD decisions should be coming today at the earliest.

They can't come any earlier than the present can they? ;)

Ricardinho
02-28-2008, 04:28 PM
All right, UCSD decisions should be coming today at the earliest. Let's hope for some good news... not sure how much of this **** I can take anymore.
Sorry to hear about your Rochester rejection Olm! Let's keep our fingers crossed for UCSD!!!

asianecon
02-28-2008, 04:31 PM
They can't come any earlier than the present can they? ;)

I was actually gonna post something like this but I didn't want to be an a**. :D Anyway, best of luck today everybody. It's so early in the day and I'm already "hanging out" in TM. I better go back to work...

polkaparty
02-28-2008, 04:41 PM
I was actually gonna post something like this but I didn't want to be an a**. :D

I hope my post wasn't mean :( I was just trying to lighten the mood....

Olm
02-28-2008, 04:45 PM
I hope my post wasn't mean :( I was just trying to lighten the mood....

It wasn't, I thought it was funny ;)

AstralTraveller
02-28-2008, 09:02 PM
Bumping this thread in anticipation :luck2: It's 1:00 PM La Jolla Time!!!

Internationalstudent08
02-28-2008, 09:16 PM
UCSD and Brown are my last hopes.... At this point, I don't expect to get admitted in the top universities that I applied to...

statrics
02-28-2008, 09:29 PM
UCSD and Brown are my last hopes.... At this point, I don't expect to get admitted in the top universities that I applied to...

I also treat UCSD as my one of few US stops.
I am expecting the miracle:luck2:

Canuckonomist
02-28-2008, 09:48 PM
Given my rejection today from NWU, and my current non-response from UPenn, which I'm taking as a rejection, UCSD is one of two final stops for me right now. Cornell is the other which I am still alive for. That could end any day now, too. Crossing my fingers for all of us!

Internationalstudent08
02-28-2008, 10:02 PM
even if we get into, do we have good chances to get funding?

Olm
02-28-2008, 10:08 PM
All right, I whispered the secretary. They aren't even done going through all of the files! :eek: Furthermore, they are going to try to get the funding offers out at the same time as the decisions (last year, many who were admitted had to wait a long time to get funding offers).

She told me that the decisions should begin to come out by the end of next week. :smack: Looks like there is a lot of waiting left to do, everyone. Don't hold your breath.

Astral, IS08, Canuck, and statrics... relax. :sleepy:

As for funding, UCSD is horrible with funding. You will most likely have to self-fund. They admit between 20 and 25% of those who applied (100 admits out of 400 to 500 applications), but offer funding to very few; expect the worst when it comes to funding. After the first year, you should be able to secure funding but even then it's not guaranteed.

Canuckonomist
02-28-2008, 10:13 PM
Their funding scheme looks strange. Relatively cheap out of state tuition @ about $25000 (tuition + Fees). Tuition is $14,700, and after the first year, out-of-state americans get California Residency and tuition disappears, so fees are $9,700. For all third year students, tuition disappears anyway.

First year seems like the majority of students fund their way, but it seems like it can be relatively cheap, compared to a year at LSE, for example. Beyond that, it seems like years 2-4 are at least partially funded by T.A, R.Aships, etc, based on performance. So it seems like they make you work for your funding while you're there.

I suppose it's not terrible, but it's not great. It seems like there is a way to leave with only a small mountain of debt.

statrics
02-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Wow, Olm, you have done a great job, AGAIN!
Then I will stop brushing my email at least for this week.

One small question, as the top TM whisperer, how much have you payed for calling recently? I hope someday I can pay you back if I do get admitted in UCSD. :)

AstralTraveller
02-28-2008, 10:15 PM
All right, I whispered the secretary. They aren't even done going through all of the files! :eek: Furthermore, they are going to try to get the funding offers out at the same time as the decisions (last year, many who were admitted had to wait a long time to get funding offers).

Darn it! Anyway, as long as I'm among the 100, I'm fine. The purge will last another week it seems.

As for funding, UCSD is horrible with funding. You will most likely have to self-fund. They admit between 20 and 25% of those who applied (100 admits out of 400 to 500 applications), but offer funding to very few; expect the worst when it comes to funding. After the first year, you should be able to secure funding but even then it's not guaranteed.

After the last few deceptions, I can live with that (a non-funded admit from UCSD). My dream is to become the next Tim Bollerslev or Jeffrey Russell. So UCSD is where I'm heading (please accept me).

There's a bank nearby, and the Brinks safe-truck is discharging the money. I have a raccoon mask on my desk....:hmm:. Is the Nobel prize in 30+ years worth it? :p

Internationalstudent08
02-28-2008, 10:27 PM
That sucks... I don't want to wait any longer...:(

MzSunshine
02-28-2008, 10:40 PM
ROTFL (roll on the floor laughing, for those who didn't know)!!! That same thought has crossed my mind a couple of times, seeing as I still haven't heard anything about funding from both of the places I was admitted at (UVA and UCSB). If they keep me in the dark for much longer, I may have to go find a mask. :D

There's a bank nearby, and the Brinks safe-truck is discharging the money. I have a raccoon mask on my desk....:hmm:. Is the Nobel prize in 30+ years worth it? :p

Olm
02-29-2008, 12:49 AM

I laughed out loud at this. :D

At least I can relax for a week or so... then the rest of the decisions start coming. I need to train hard for this! :boxing: (it worked for econphilomath, why not me? :hmm:)

Guest Who
02-29-2008, 01:31 AM
Funding at UCSD is somewhat different than what you've mentioned. For the last three years running, every first-year has been offered grading jobs each quarter. For most that ask, you can instead get a TA position. TAs have some sort of tuition waived, I believe. There are something like 2200 undergrad majors, so the demand is there.

I know that TAing means doing work at other schools. Not at UCSD.
I shutter to mention this for fear of screwing myself in the future, but my annualized salary from TAing this quarter would be in the neighborhood of $250,000 (assuming I worked 2000 hours). This is unusually high; it's usually around 100k. You can figure out how many hours I intend to work this quarter from that figure, but I'll assure you that I'm low-balling it. (I actually thought about this while grading for my class.)

So, conclusion: just because UCSD has strings attached that would normally be onerous at other universities, don't assume they're anything to bat an eyelash at here.

Finally, why the department staff don't tell prospective students about the true likelihood of some form of funding is beyond me. We've mentioned it to them; there is still no change.

Canuckonomist
02-29-2008, 03:34 AM
Funding at UCSD is somewhat different than what you've mentioned. For the last three years running, every first-year has been offered grading jobs each quarter. For most that ask, you can instead get a TA position. TAs have some sort of tuition waived, I believe. There are something like 2200 undergrad majors, so the demand is there.

I know that TAing means doing work at other schools. Not at UCSD.
I shutter to mention this for fear of screwing myself in the future, but my annualized salary from TAing this quarter would be in the neighborhood of $250,000 (assuming I worked 2000 hours). This is unusually high; it's usually around 100k. You can figure out how many hours I intend to work this quarter from that figure, but I'll assure you that I'm low-balling it. (I actually thought about this while grading for my class.)

So, conclusion: just because UCSD has strings attached that would normally be onerous at other universities, don't assume they're anything to bat an eyelash at here.

Finally, why the department staff don't tell prospective students about the true likelihood of some form of funding is beyond me. We've mentioned it to them; there is still no change.

So, if one works for it, there are ways to get funding?

I only wrote what I saw from the graduate handbook, so I'm glad to hear that there is some kind of work offered so that students can make some money back.

Valhalla
02-29-2008, 11:16 AM
I would say TODAY is pretty close to the end of the month isn't it?

:)

AstralTraveller
02-29-2008, 11:56 AM
I would say TODAY is pretty close to the end of the month isn't it?

:)

Yup, but take a look at Olm's whisper (http://www.urch.com/forums/555679-post43.html). Nothing until the end of next week.

Nothing is easy.....

Valhalla
02-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Damn... fine then I will go to cinema tonight instead of sitting in front of my stupid laptop the whole day..

statrics
03-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Let us prey now for kindness of the approaching UCSD monster!

Mr.Keen
03-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Where is Olm?

Thesus
03-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Where is Olm?

I've been wondering that myself.

Internationalstudent08
03-03-2008, 11:10 PM
Somebody should try to get some info... I tried a few days ago without success

Valhalla
03-03-2008, 11:44 PM
This thread is always somewhat shocking for me... As I am also waiting for UCSD I am axiously waiting for a "In at UCSD" thread and always when I see this thread with the "*whatsoever*....UCSD....*whatsoever*" - title my heart beats faster....

AstralTraveller
03-04-2008, 12:32 AM
Is it true they admit on the neighbourhood of one hundred? Not that it could provide any kind of relief to me by itself...won't be relieved until I get in...

This is my last chance this season....:luck2:

Valhalla
03-04-2008, 12:43 AM
I don't think that they admit so many students...
But I've heard that it's difficult to receive decent funding ... especially for international students...

Internationalstudent08
03-04-2008, 01:14 AM
so... no news from ucsd... it's 5.14 now... we will resume tomorrow, I guess

Olm
03-04-2008, 01:34 AM
End of this week at the earliest. Hold your horses! (sorry, I love that 1000 year old expression :))

signal08
03-04-2008, 02:56 AM
could tommorow be the day? let's hope :D

Valhalla
03-04-2008, 12:21 PM
hey olmi, do you whispered already some nice words to the grad-secretary of U Toronto? When do they release decisions?

Smileysquared
03-04-2008, 02:14 PM
I was told that offers for the University of Toronto will be sent in the first week of March.

Valhalla
03-04-2008, 03:42 PM
So this week basically?

Smileysquared
03-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Yep at least for the Masters in Financial Economics-this I am sure of.

Valhalla
03-04-2008, 05:24 PM
.... well this doesn't help me much.... but thanks anyways :)

Olm
03-04-2008, 07:57 PM
No idea on UofT... Canadian grad secretaries are a lot harder to get a hold of.

AstralTraveller
03-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Now it's all down to the one light I have remaining: San Diego. I will really get nervous when the decisions are posted. :crazy:

econphp06
03-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Hey all,

I want to tell something, if one opens a topic like XXX University decisions is coming next week, He or she must be sure that it will certainly come within the dates that He or She says... If you are not sure or this is an information from secretary or like a person that doesn't have much power about this process.. Because we all wait decisions and these topics double our excitement.

Please be aware of these facts

Thank you

ephyou
03-04-2008, 08:41 PM
astral, i have to say, although your choices were unconventionally risky, i like your style. you're a regular cowboy.

AstralTraveller
03-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Hey all,

I want to tell something, if one opens a topic like XXX University decisions is coming next week, He or she must be sure that it will certainly come within the dates that He or She says... If you are not sure or this is an information from secretary or like a person that doesn't have much power about this process.. Because we all wait decisions and these topics double our excitement.

Please be aware of these facts

Dearest Econphp06,

I am sorry. When this thread was opened by the OP, the title of the thread was current with the actual state of things at the time. One must trust the secretaries. But sadly, the unexpected happens. Probably the OP was pretty sure of the accuracy of the dates provided when the decision to open the thread was taken.

I understand the main spirit of your post, but probably this particular thread wasn't the case you were pointing out.

Sorry for the emotional distress. I say it as a profoundly emotionally distressed individual right now :(

Have a nice day, everybody! [goodjob]
A.

Olm
03-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Now it's all down to the one light I have remaining: San Diego. I will really get nervous when the decisions are posted. :crazy:

To me, UCSD is my last hope for entrance into a well-ranked school. The Canadian schools are great but I will be at a big disadvantage on the job market, and Oxford probably won't fund me so I won't be able to attend (it's about three times as expensive as my US options are).

econphilomath
03-04-2008, 09:33 PM
To me, UCSD is my last hope for entrance into a well-ranked school. The Canadian schools are great but I will be at a big disadvantage on the job market, and Oxford probably won't fund me so I won't be able to attend (it's about three times as expensive as my US options are).

You can do an MA then try again right? I mean it's not totally over if you don't get in at San Diego, because you can do an MA, get good grades and try again for a higher ranked program in the US.

asianecon
03-04-2008, 09:36 PM
I completely agree with econphilomath. Even one year of MA or RA can make a huge difference (plus you can apply to more programs).

Olm
03-04-2008, 09:39 PM
I've already got an MA in economics, with a 4.0 GPA. :hmm: I'm not sure what getting a second one would do. My undergrad GPA, lack of math courses, and lack of school pedigree are what's keeping me out of the top schools I think.

I would have applied to the RA position at Chicago had I known I would be having so much trouble.

Mr.Keen
03-04-2008, 09:42 PM
I've already got an MA in economics, with a 4.0 GPA. :hmm: I'm not sure what getting a second one would do. My undergrad GPA, lack of math courses, and lack of school pedigree are what's keeping me out of the top schools I think.

I would have applied to the RA position at Chicago had I known I would be having so much trouble.

Then get an RA position at the best place you can and gain research experience. You can take math classes while you do that. That is exactly what I did.

asianecon
03-04-2008, 09:44 PM

I think my position is still open as far as I know.

Send me a CV (and cover letter) and I can forward it to my bosses. If you want, I can give you what I submitted last year to give you an idea. No promises of course--they will gauge based on merit.

Olm
03-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Then get an RA position at the best place you can and gain research experience. You can take math classes while you do that. That is exactly what I did.

Yeah that's pretty much my plan after I get the finger from the remaining schools on my list :grad:

I think my position is still open as far as I know.

Who did you work under, if you are able to share this information? (PM if you want to keep it private)

asianecon
03-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Yeah that's pretty much my plan :grad:

Who did you work under, if you are able to share this information? (PM if you want to keep it private)

No need for privacy, I'm supposed to help promote it anyway. I'm working for Matt Gentzkow and Jesse Shapiro. You can PM me your email and I'll send you my application last year.

Olm
03-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Thank you so much for the offer Asianecon; I will wait until I formally strike out of San Diego before I go along this avenue.

One more thing - I just looked at your profile in the profiles thread, and there is no way in hell that I am anywhere near your academic calibre. If they pick the RA based on academic qualifications, I would be near the bottom of the pile (my undergrad GPA is 3.0, with bad math/stat grades! (I was lazy and didn't care back then)). Do you know how much they weight they put into scholastic background? I'm pretty sure I'm as qualified as any other top candidate when it comes to the intangibles. Thanks again!

Mr.Keen
03-04-2008, 10:07 PM
There is one important tangible that cannot fail: your MA thesis.

econzo
03-04-2008, 10:08 PM
asianecon, could you pm me your application as well? I'm not a regular poster (regular lurker though..) so if you don't feel comfortable doing that, no worries. Thanks.

I've been applying to RA positions like mad these past few weeks...making sure I don't make the same mistake I did with my school selection (not applying to enough places)

asianecon
03-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Thank you so much for the offer Asianecon; I will wait until I formally strike out of San Diego before I go along this avenue.

One more thing - I just looked at your profile in the profiles thread, and there is no way in hell that I am anywhere near your academic calibre. If they pick the RA based on academic qualifications, I would be near the bottom of the pile (my undergrad GPA is 3.0, with bad math/stat grades! (I was lazy and didn't care back then)). Do you know how much they weight they put into scholastic background? I'm pretty sure I'm as qualified as any other top candidate when it comes to the intangibles. Thanks again!

I think for them what matters most is research experience, though of course grades are signals (but mere signals) of aptitude. If you have tons of stata and data manipulation experience, that would be really good. Also, a background in programming would indeed be useful (they sort of made me learn Perl in one day and come up with a rather not so easy script that crawls and parses databases---very stressful day haha).

statrics
03-04-2008, 10:41 PM
To Olm,
that is the ad of the two professors:
http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-business/84113-chicago-gsb-full-time-research-assistant-position.html

jenizaro
03-05-2008, 01:50 AM
Interesting Asianecon, I've been doing something similar.

What kind of databases were those if you don't mind telling?

Olm
03-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the link, Statrics!

OKAY, two more days until UCSD can perspectively pour out. Getting damn sick of waiting. :(

Valhalla
03-06-2008, 11:51 AM
So? This is the final-UCSD countdown right? Maybe one of us is in the lucky situation to get an offer today?:)

Antonio
03-06-2008, 11:54 AM
who cares?
you are in at PENN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Valhalla
03-06-2008, 11:58 AM
This might sound surprising for some of you but: money matters in my case and I do face constraints to raise enough money... what happens if I raise the money from external sources (even if it might be possible - my request at my bank is still processed) and I drop out after the first year....? This sucks right?

Antonio
03-06-2008, 12:28 PM
It's not strange. Money matters for me too.
But I think (it's just my feelings), that the waiting lists for money at UPENN and at other TOP 10 will run to lower positions since there a lot of stellar guys (iugi and elogio, just as an example) who will accept offers near to Boston...

Valhalla
03-06-2008, 12:42 PM
It's not strange. Money matters for me too.
But I think (it's just my feelings), that the waiting lists for money at UPENN and at other TOP 10 will run to lower positions since there a lot of stellar guys (iugi and elogio, just as an example) who will accept offers near to Boston...

Thanks for your motivating words and I hope this comes true... I just hoped that this whole waiting thing ends in march when all decisions are done but now it seems as if I have to wait again...

sparrowshi
03-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Will UCSD release their decisions by the end of this week?

Olm
03-06-2008, 03:49 PM
This might sound surprising for some of you but: money matters in my case and I do face constraints to raise enough money... what happens if I raise the money from external sources (even if it might be possible - my request at my bank is still processed) and I drop out after the first year....? This sucks right?

Dude, if you are in at UPenn... do whatever it takes to get external funding. A lot of people are too lazy to even look at what their local governments have to offer - get off TM and call your national student loan agency! Talk to your banks! Be ready in case you don't get any funding. In any case, don't give anyone a decision until near April 15th, at which point you should call UPenn to see how realistic the prospect of funding is.

Olm
03-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Will UCSD release their decisions by the end of this week?

The end of this week is the earliest at which we can expect decisions. The adcoms are running late this year, and they are trying to time their admissions decisions with funding decisions (rather than having a gap of almost a month as is custom).

sparrowshi
03-06-2008, 03:53 PM
Thank Olm! I have been waiting for UCSD too long.

Guest Who
03-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Everything admissions-wise is complete. The committee is just finalizing the letters now. They'll be out "in a few days" (as of yesterday).

I think they're going to include more details about the funding situation: the situation when you arrive is far, far less bleak than it seems when you get your letter. Basically, everyone for the past few years has been able to get some funding for their first year. They're not going to guarantee everyone funding, but they'll (hopefully) mention what's gone on in the past and that there is no reason to expect it to change.

poorboy44
03-06-2008, 05:20 PM
At this point I put the 90% CI at +3 days.

Hey look, it's just like real economic forecasting!

econphp06
03-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Thank Olm! I have been waiting for UCSD too long.

Totally agree with you...

thanks olm!

Olm
03-06-2008, 07:07 PM
Everything admissions-wise is complete. The committee is just finalizing the letters now. They'll be out "in a few days" (as of yesterday).

I think they're going to include more details about the funding situation: the situation when you arrive is far, far less bleak than it seems when you get your letter. Basically, everyone for the past few years has been able to get some funding for their first year. They're not going to guarantee everyone funding, but they'll (hopefully) mention what's gone on in the past and that there is no reason to expect it to change.

Thank you so much for this detailed update! GET READY FOLKS! :boxing:

sparrowshi
03-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Hope we can hear from UCSD today.

MexEcon
03-07-2008, 03:10 PM
I think that even those that are waiting for good news from UCSD (like me) are actually more excited about hearing Olm's UCSD desicion than their own.

OLM YOU HAVE ABOUT 84 (forums viewers at this moment) WISHING YOU THE BEST! (and at least one praying for you, yes I am religious)

:tup:

Thank you so much for this detailed update! GET READY FOLKS! :boxing:

Olm
03-07-2008, 03:26 PM
LOL, thank you. But I would gladly give up my spot so that Astral can go (it's his last chance!). Or we can hope all of us TMers get in. Hm. I guess that works out better :)

asl49
03-07-2008, 08:48 PM
I'm so sick of waiting.....does anyone have any news?

Internationalstudent08
03-07-2008, 08:49 PM
I'm so sick of waiting.....does anyone have any news?

it's not even 1pm yet... I expect something coming in 2-3 hours, but I wouldn't be surprised if they postpone it for monday

doubtful
03-07-2008, 08:58 PM
why are they sending it out at the end of the day? I mean 5pm in California means late evening on the East Coast and Full night in Europe

asl49
03-07-2008, 09:10 PM
They probably just enjoy messing with our brains

Internationalstudent08
03-07-2008, 09:15 PM
I think it's amazing that there are more than a 100 posts for a university that hasn't even released its decisions. There was not such public excitement for top-5 schools...

Internationalstudent08
03-07-2008, 11:39 PM
those californian dudes totally forgot us, i think

asl49
03-07-2008, 11:42 PM
All of us? or no email no admit?

It seems like one person on TM is in:
http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/86462-ucsd-fellowship.html

Internationalstudent08
03-07-2008, 11:44 PM
yes, but it's only one person. we would get at least 10 admits on TM, if they had sent The E-mail

doubtful
03-07-2008, 11:54 PM
are they sending email or paper mail?

in that case by living in California I should get it sooner than many other people.

Olm
03-08-2008, 12:21 AM
I think it's amazing that there are more than a 100 posts for a university that hasn't even released its decisions. There was not such public excitement for top-5 schools...

Probably because (a) UCSD was expected to release its decisions over two weeks ago; (b) UCSD seems to be a standard backup school (like Duke) for Jesus profile people; (c) UCSD is a highly ranked school that is still accessible to those with less than perfect profiles; and finally (d) it's the last chance for most of us to either gain admission to a good school or (in the unfortunate case of many users) get in anywhere at all!

Sorry, I like lists. :whistle:

Internationalstudent08
03-10-2008, 05:36 PM
This poor thread fell in the fifth page and I thought I should bring it back to life. It's 10.35 in California... the secretaries are ready to pull the trigger!

hopefulkid
03-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Anxiety builds up.....:wacko:

ward
03-10-2008, 06:04 PM
I've heard that it is hard to get funding to UCSD. Does anyone know anything about this? Also, who would go there even if they weren't offered funding for the first year, but guaranteed funding for subsequent years with satisfactory progress?

08Applicant
03-10-2008, 06:46 PM
(d) it's the last chance for most of us to ... (in the unfortunate case of many users) get in anywhere at all!

I don't like to be gossiped about, sir.

I'm not devastated if I don't get in. I found an AWESOME house with a room for rent nearby a certain private university where I'll just take first year micro and macro in the fall and reapply.

No joke, this house is so damn cool I'd almost prefer that extra year off. Although I'm not thrilled about taking PhD courses while still being an RA part time. It'll make getting the A's harder.

hopefulkid
03-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Any news so far?

Internationalstudent08
03-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Nothing... there is still the possibility that something will come in the next 3 hours. otherwise... tomorrow? wtf, we have made so many false predictions.

hopefulkid
03-10-2008, 09:09 PM
we have made so many false predictions.

But based on info provided by the Department itself.....

As long as it is an admit, I'll wait:whistle:

Blondin
03-10-2008, 09:20 PM
I just called because I'm tired of waiting... We shouldn't expect something in the next couple days, and the lady on the phone told me that "hopefully" they would send everything out by the end of the week (whether rejection or admission).

Internationalstudent08
03-10-2008, 09:33 PM
I just called because I'm tired of waiting... We shouldn't expect something in the next couple days, and the lady on the phone told me that "hopefully" they would send everything out by the end of the week (whether rejection or admission).

wow.... that's late even by my country's standards

asl49
03-10-2008, 09:38 PM
the lady on the phone told me that "hopefully" they would send everything out by the end of the week (whether rejection or admission).

what??? they will probably be the last ones to give out decisions, which just makes things worse for all of us waiting to hear back from out last chance at at starting a PhD program this fall....

jenizaro
03-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Man... I didn't even apply to UCSD but have become addicted to this thread. UCSD let us know the results already!!

I am rooting for all of you guys who applied there!!

Internationalstudent08
03-10-2008, 10:39 PM
... even if they admit me, I will think twice before going there.... so, anyway, now my first goal is to find an RA job and get my damned OPT

cpsteiner
03-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Wow, I was thinking I didn't even get into UCSD... now I know that they haven't released the decisions. Must be a very tough decision.

Olm
03-10-2008, 11:05 PM
By the end of the week now, they say? Hum...

hopefulkid
03-10-2008, 11:42 PM
This is strange.....Ms. Franco had said otherwise last thursday: "Tomorrow friday will be the most likely, and monday 10th the latest". It's so clear now it was not in her hands :whistle:.

I'm ok with waiting as long as I am admitted. It would be dreadful to have to go through all this waiting to find a rejection. :(

ephyou
03-10-2008, 11:58 PM
you guys didn't know that everything's slower in socal?

Olm
03-11-2008, 01:04 AM
It would be dreadful to have to go through all this waiting to find a rejection. :(

I agree. If I get rejected from UCSD I am this much closer to jumping through a plate glass window out of a very tall building ;)

statrics
03-11-2008, 01:59 AM
I agree. If I get rejected from UCSD I am this much closer to jumping through a plate glass window out of a very tall building ;)

Oh, no. The whispering job is far from over.:D

Olm
03-11-2008, 03:48 AM
fine... I'll wait until April 15th at which point somebody can take over my post. Happy? :D

asl49
03-11-2008, 05:48 PM
Will today be the day? It's 10:48 in La Jolla....hopefully just a few more hours

ska
03-11-2008, 05:51 PM
When are they getting the results out? they are making us wait real long.:(

asianecon
03-11-2008, 06:09 PM
maybe UCSD decided not to admit other students aside from those they gave offers to last Feb..

this is insane.

ska
03-11-2008, 06:12 PM
that is insane and that is not the case....i am sure it is not.

Blondin
03-11-2008, 06:15 PM

I think it's fun to quote your own message :-)

ska
03-11-2008, 06:18 PM
ha ha thanks. i skipped that

cpsteiner
03-11-2008, 06:37 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Sorry everyone I had to scream... Plus I realized you're all very awesome and I know the UCSD field is super competitive. sad face!!!

No free lunch in Econ Ph.D. admissions.

Internationalstudent08
03-11-2008, 06:41 PM
For some reason I'm just not anxious anymore....

Guest Who
03-11-2008, 07:22 PM
My understanding was that the delay was because they were reevaluating the text of the letters they send out to better communicate the funding dimension and the fly-out. I may be mistaken, but I suspect the delay will result in an improvement to those accepted.

Valhalla
03-11-2008, 11:05 PM
I love this thread... it never dies and it never disappears from the front page :D

Olm
03-11-2008, 11:39 PM
So why would rewriting the letters delay the rejects? :hmm:

Valhalla
03-11-2008, 11:42 PM

good question:hmm:

Guest Who
03-11-2008, 11:43 PM

That I don't know, but I suspect they send them all out at once (not to burst any bubbles).

Finally, never struggle to attribute to design what you can effortlessly attribute to incompetence...

cpsteiner
03-12-2008, 02:30 AM
Finally, never struggle to attribute to design what you can effortlessly attribute to incompetence...

I don't know about this...I'm sure that incompetence wasn't the main problem (if it was a problem at all).

Alas, being in Illinois makes me wait longer...checking email until 7, 8 pm because I figure UCSD might make decisions at 5 or 6.

California, here we come...........
I'm really dreaming of the sunshine. The wait is making me romanticize. UIUC still has snow on the ground from the precipitous winter we had here.:rolleyes:

Speaking of which, valhalla, if you do or don't get into UCSD, are you going to go to UIUC? If I stay, maybe we can not-study-for-prelims together...haha.

doubtful
03-12-2008, 06:14 PM
maybe I have found one of the reasons for this delay.

10% budget cuts in the UC-system, which is affecting even offers to prospective students.
The cut has not been approved yet but the regents are operating correspondently. It is possible that many departments right now do not know exactly the amount of money they will be entitled to offer.

The most of the disadvantage is going to the out-of-state applicants.

Olm
03-13-2008, 12:19 AM
International Student 08 posted that he got accepted to UCSD today... ?

doubtful
03-13-2008, 12:21 AM
yes.....

Olm
03-13-2008, 12:24 AM
oh, I just saw the thread lol :)

signal08
03-13-2008, 12:41 AM
did anyone else get an admit besides the OP??