PDA

View Full Version : another question for fellow TM'ers

israelecon
02-22-2008, 10:13 AM
i have a canadian, israeli, and a european citizenship. does anyone know the differences between these in terms of what i would have to pay (social security, taxes etc.) when studying in the US? or if there are different rules concerning whether you have to leave the US after you finish your phd?
I applied as a Canadian citizen (i figured that would be best, i'm not sure why). but, now i want to know when i enroll in a school are there any advantages to enrolling as a citizen of one country instead of another?
(maybe NAFTA makes a difference so canadian is best, maybe there is a canadian here that knows more about this?)
thanks

fp3690
02-22-2008, 03:12 PM
i have a canadian, israeli, and a european citizenship.

You sound like a passport collector.

econphilomath
02-22-2008, 04:09 PM
Is that even legal?

I would assume that if you applied as a Canadian, the University will have you down as such and the paper work to change that might be more work than what you would save anyway. Besides, you got a killer funding package, I'm sure you'll be ok paying a little taxes.

Olm
02-22-2008, 04:49 PM
You pay US taxes when you are in the US: social security, etc. You file with the IRS.

Now, there may be a treaty in place where you would pay Canadian taxes instead, but why would you want to do that? Tax rates, especially on low-income earners, are significantly higher in Canada.

Nobody is forced to leave the country after they finish a PhD, so long as they get a job there (the company will get them a visa). In addition, after 5 years of residence, you qualify for a green card, which allows you to work in the US indefinitely, and to come and go as you please.

Ancalagon The Black
02-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Whoa !! I thought that dual citizenship was the limit. Triple citizenship? How come you have "European citizenship"? Are all the members of the EU issued a common passport nowadays?

Olm
02-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Citizenship rules vary by country. Typically, dual citizenship is the limit; however an exception was made for Israelis. (insert anti-semetic comment here if desired)

Sam_Jackson
02-22-2008, 06:46 PM
That is not true. I know a person from my home country that has citizenship of the US, UK, Canada and Australia. So the two country limit is not binding.

He did get them in the 90's so I am not aware whether rules have changed now.